20 of the Best Riads in Marrakech
Marrakech and its riads have it all: gorgeous gardens, exciting shopping, exotic interiors. And our Gurus have gone though around 1500 of them, to pick out the 20 best riads in Marrakech. Riad (which can also be spelt Riyad or Ryad) is the Arabic word for a traditional house or palace with an interior garden, designed to provide both cool shade from the heat outside, as well as privacy for the family. Consequently the walls of a Marrakech riad are typically very thick, with no exterior facing windows, just a grilled entrance and a heavy studded door. Once inside, however, a magical world is revealed, of delicate mosaics, carved woodwork, scented potted plants, lemon trees, birdsong, and often a tinkling fountain.Yes, there are large hotels in Marrakech for sure, but for those who want to experience something more authentic the rise of the Marrakech riad is a revelation, and there are some seriously cool hotels here. These converted townhouses, deep in the heart of the hub of the city, are transforming the hot, dusty, noisy medina into a 21st-century lifestyle destination.
For a Traditional Riad Experience
- The Riad Elegancia is one of our picks for anyone who loves Moroccan design and architecture. This charming, 11 room riad was refurbished in 2020, and returned to its former glory of painted cedarwood ceilings, geometric Moroccan tiles and chiselled copper features. We think it’s one of the most authentic riad experiences in Marrakech — but with all the modern luxury of a five star hotel. The hammam and spa are the perfect sanctuary, plus there’s a rooftop pool and terrace and incredible cuisine.
- Beautifully restored, and in an incredible spot in the heart of the medina, the Riad Camilia is surprisingly spacious, as well as being traditionally romantic. Just six rooms and suites surround the riad’s lush central courtyard, and from there you have access to the stunning rooftop. Traditional meals are available on request.
For the Scrapbook
- Riad Be is a stylish, ten room riad in Bab Doukkala, close to the souks and the medina. Decorated confidently, with patterned tiles and a range of ice-cream colours, this is a memorable pick. The Moroccan cuisine is superb, they offer cooking classes, there’s a gorgeous courtyard with a pool, and a roof terrace.
- Luxurious, stylish and private feeling, L’Hotel Marrakech has just five suites, all sublimely decorated, with intricately carved furniture, gorgeous lighting, and four-poster beds draped in voile. Jasper Conran is the owner and designer of this hideaway, and his eye for traditional craftsmanship is impressive.
- The Riad Kheirredine offers a sumptuous feeling merging of traditional Moroccan design and contemporary comforts, and we think it’s one of the most romantic riads in Marrakech. There are 11 rooms and suites, some with curtained, four-poster beds, two pools, a hammam and spa, a wonderful Moroccan-Italian fusion restaurant, and a gorgeous roof terrace.
- Just minutes from the main square, the Riad Mena & Beyond has been converted from a stylish private residence. Its seven individually designed rooms and suites all have sleek, whitewashed walls and an eclectic decor of antiques and vintage pieces. The courtyard is large and shady, and there’s a plunge pool.
For Roof Terrace Views
- With its subtle, Italian influenced, design, 72 Riad Living is considered one of the most fashionable riads in the medina. Its 13 rooms and suites are all individually decorated and two of the suites have private rooftop hot tubs. The dining room atmosphere is enticing, as is the food, and the views from the rooftop bar are unsurpassed.
- Dar Les Cigognes has two roof terraces lined with geraniums, palms and citrus fruits, because this is two riads joined into one. Each of the 11 rooms and suites are a unique blend of Moroccan style and European design, and it’s all very elegant. As is the spa and hammam, and the restaurant, which serves Moroccan and Mediterranean dishes.
For the Medina
- The Riad Azzar is a great little owner-run riad in the heart of the historic medina, with just six rooms and suites around a gloriously tropical courtyard and plunge pool. The suites are romantically decorated, and all of the rooms and common areas offer an attractive mix of traditional decor and comfortable, unfussy contemporary detail. The dining room off the main courtyard serves traditional breakfast and moroccan dishes, or you can eat in the courtyard or roof terrace.
- The Riad Adore is an elegant, contemporary riad in a superb central spot minutes from the Souk Cherifia. The ten rooms and suites are spacious, airy and bright, with large windows and balconies, and sumptuous furnishings. The menu is inspiring, and the small spa has an impressive menu too, plus there’s a hammam. And the roof terrace is glorious!
- The Riad de Tarabel is a spacious, elegant, colonial-style riad perfectly secluded in the bustling medina. It’s certainly a wonder that these ten rooms and suites, with their beautiful tilework and French antiques, could be such a haven of peace when it’s so busy around them, but that’s the magic of traditional Moorish architecture. The tree-filled courtyards provide plenty of private nooks — one has a heated, tiled pool — and there’s an incredible roof terrace, plus of course the traditional hammam and spa.
- El Fenn is a hotel made up of a string of interconnected riads on the edge of medina. All together there are 12 riads, taking up around a whole acre of space, yet the way the buildings and courtyards are all intertwined gives a feeling of a cosy escape — albeit a grand one. There are just 31 rooms and suites — all huge, with 17ft high ceilings and multiple rooms — plus two cocktail bars, a library, boutique, a spa and a huge rooftop terrace with a restaurant and pool, from which you’ll have views of the Atlas Mountains.
- La Sultana is a luxurious, five-star riad (an amalgamation of five smaller riads), with incredible Atlas Mountains views from its roof terraces and tucked away in a quiet part of the Kasbah. The decor is a wonderful fusion of traditional and contemporary luxury, and varies amongst the 28 rooms and suites. In addition to the multiple roof terraces there are also multiple courtyards with pools, and a spoiling spa and hammam.
- Beautiful and luxurious, the Riad Siwan is a another elegant merging of traditional Moroccan design and contemporary comforts. The seven rooms and suites have some exquisitely carved woodwork, grand ceilings, mosaics and original art. There’s a wonderful rooftop restaurant specialising in traditional Moroccan cuisine, using food largely sourced from the owner’s gardens. The location is ideal for exploring Marrakech on foot.
- Right in the heart of Marrakech, the Riad Farnatchi’s nine airy suites offer a stylish, romantic haven, complete with a beautiful and traditional white marble hammam. The restaurant serves a delicious menu of Moroccan and European dishes, and they run an extensive range of cooking classes, which range from multi-day courses, to a few hours, or a foray into the market followed by learning a couple of dishes.
- The 15 room Riyad El Cadi has been formed through the joining of five 14th century riads, now connected by a maze of corridors and courtyards. Calm pervades into the cool, whitewashed rooms with their fine furniture and art, and onto the peaceful roof terraces too. There’s a pool and hammam, and a restaurant known for its impressive tagines. This is a great pick for families: it’s calm, friendly and unfussy, and they offer babysitting too.
- The Riad Abracadabra has the feel of a boutique hotel, with eight individually decorated rooms and suites — all with contemporary white walls, but an eclectic mix of stylish decorations. Some suites sleep four. The location is excellent, just five minutes walk from Djemaa el-Fna, and the panoramic views from the roof terrace are impressive. The restaurant serves up Moroccan and Spanish cuisine.
For Great Value
- The Riad Cocoon defines its intentions with the name, planning to wrap guests in luxurious comfort within the bustle of Marrakech. There are just five rooms, all individually designed in a relatively minimal, contemporary style for a riad, plus a plunge pool, hammam and a roof terrace. The Moroccan cuisine is gourmet, and the friendly owner/host is French.
- The Riad Shambala is a small, owner managed property offering a wonderfully traditional riad experience, complete with Moroccan accents, and all natural materials, but offering modern Western comforts too. The restaurant is a prime example of this, it serves a fusion of dishes, and a continental breakfast. There are just five rooms, a roof terrace, and an inviting courtyard plunge pool.
- Riad Dar Zaman is a charming little riad in the heart of the medina. With just four rooms, all traditionally decorated with Berber rugs and original art and antiques, you don’t have many other guests to share the plunge pool and beautiful sun terrace with. The food is excellent, also traditional, and they offer cooking classes too. And you can see the mountains from the roof terrace.
Still not sure where to book?
- You could expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Marrakech
- Or refine your search to the best hotels in the Palmeraie or Marrakech's Best Medina Hotels
- Or you might want to consider our Guru's recommendations for 15 of the Best Hotels with Pools in Marrakech, the Best Boutique Hotels in Marrakech or Marrakech's Best Hammams and Spas
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Riad de Tarabel Quartier Dar El Bacha Marrakech Médina 10 rooms from £200City Style - An elegant colonial-style riad filled with French antiques.Local markets - Situated amidst the Medina, step out of the hotel and scour the souk for treasures.Romantic - With stylish French interiors it's hard not find Riad de Taravel utterly romantic.Boutique - Small, private and peaceful, Riad de Tarabel is close to perfection.
Spacious and elegant, this colonial style riad in the bustling Marrakech medina is the epitome of luxury. French antiques are scattered throughout the property alongside traditional Moorish architecture. Feast on regional classics, be pampered in the spa. Perfectly placed for city exploring. See More
El Fenn Marrakech 31 rooms from £217Honeymoons - Stunning suites and spectacular views, spa treatments and belly dancers plus unbeatable food — what more could you want?Local exploring - On the edge of the Medina there is no end to the exploring to be done.Chic - An arty riad filled with British modern art and Moroccan collectables.Roof terrace - Magical views at night.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Kiwi Collection
Unique understated bohemian hipness meets flawless service in this sprawling interlinked 12-riad strong hotel owned by Vanessa Branson, on the edge of the Marrakech medina. Lounge out in one of the vast colourful suites, sprawl across the roof terrace and restaurant with views of the Atlas Mountains See More
Riad Shambala Marrakech (Arest Ihiri) 5 rooms from £49Sights nearby - Koutoubia Mosque, Jemaa El Fna and the Saadian Tombs are just some of the sights within easy reach.Airport transferCooking classes - Check for timings.Views - Great views from hotel
This boutique, owner managed property is a perfect blend of old and new, East meets West. From the food (there is a continental breakfast and fusion cuisine) to the simple yet stylish rooms: muted palettes, Moroccan accents and natural materials of exposed stone and wood. Plus an inviting pool. See More
Riad Dar Zaman Marrakech (Sidi Ben Slimane) 4 rooms from £69Groups - Take over the whole riad for a stay to remember!Views - Fantastic views over the medina and to the Atlas Mountains in the distance from the roof terrace.Restaurant - Delicious Moroccan cuisine served either on the terrace or dining room (in winter).Cooking classes - Scour the souks for ingredients, then return to the Riad to learn how to cook them.Recommended by - I Escape
Charming four roomed riad situated in the heart of the medina. Traditionally decorated rooms feature berber rugs and original hand-crafted pieces. Delicious Moroccan cuisine and cooking classes available too. Beautiful sun terrace with views to the mountains. An excellent value chic retreat. See More
Riad Cocoon Marrakech (Diour Saboune) 5 rooms from £78Value chic - Bespoke luxury in the centre of town starting from only 90 EUR.Sights nearby - Marrakech has a thriving modern and traditional art scene and the Dar Cherifa, David Bloch and Galerie 127 are some of the best.Cooking classes - Head to the Atlas Mountains for a unique cooking experience with a Berber chef.Local markets - The hustle and bustle of the souks are within easy walking distance.
Exuding the lust for life of its musical owner this riad allows guests to "cocoon" in the lap of affordable luxury in bustling Marrakech. The individually designed rooms include sumptuous silks, pop colours and mosaic tiles. The menu is gourmet and there's a roof terrace and hammam. See More
Riad Azzar Marrakech 6 rooms from £115Swimming Pool - Enticing courtyard pool surrounded by tropical palms is the place to refresh yourselves after busy days exploring the medinaValue chic - Boasting classic design, glossy tadelakt bathrooms, an impressive art collection & small pool - all at competitve pricesFamilies - A Junior Suite & Double Room can be connected to create a family-friendly private floor that sleeps up to fiveLocal exploring - Fantastic location for shopping, exploring, sightseeing; everything in the medina is on the doorstepRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Owner-run riad bursting with charm in the centre of historic Medina. Constant care & attention to detail is obvious across pretty rooms, romantic suites & homely public areas. Spacious roof terrace, outdoor pool, cosy living areas & dining room are inviting whatever the weather. Great value choice. See More
Riad BE Marrakech (23 Derb Sidi Massoud) 10 rooms from £98Local exploring - Located in top spot Bab Doukkala, within easy distance of the souks, Djemaa el-Fna and the lively Bab Doukkala marketGreat walks - Leave Marrakech on a day trip to Ourika Valley, a lush oasis of vegetation in the foothills of the magnificent Atlas MountainsSights nearby - Go on a morning tour of Marrakech which includes the sweet gardens of Bahia Palace, Koutoubia Tower and the Saadian TombsCooking classes - Guests are offered a delightful food experience with in-house cooking classes
A stylish and unpretentious riad run by a dynamic duo. Rooms are eclectic yet elegantly designed, filled with colour and artefacts. A courtyard pool surrounded by plants is a tranquil haven. Feast on superb Moroccan cuisine at the restaurant and enjoy easy access to the city. See More
Riyad el Cadi Marrakech (Dabachi) 15 rooms from £125City Style - Five stunning 14th-century Riads, with enchanting interiors, cool leafy courtyard and tented roofterrace, right in the Medina.Local exploring - Just around the corner from the all-singing, all-dancing, fire-eating, snake-charming, food-vending madness of Djemaa el-Fna.Artworks - Lofty architecture, museum-worthy textiles, historic objects d’art and original frescoed featuresLocal markets - Explore the wonderful and wild souks haggle over an array of textiles, carpets, leatherwork, spices and jewellery.Recommended by - I Escape
Riad Abracadabra Marrakech 8 rooms from £130City Style - The property oozes understated eleganceRestaurant - Rooftop restaurant serves Moroccan specialties and Spanish delights. Pre-booking ESSENTIALCooking classes - Cooking courses can be arranged in the courtyard of the Riad.Sights nearby - Just five minutes from Jemaa el Fna square.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
A charming riad with boutique interiors just 5 minutes from Jemaa El Fna. All 8 rooms have an eclectic mix of contemporary white walls and authentic Moroccan decorations, some sleep four. Panoramic cityscape views from the roof terrace, small pool, and fabulous Moroccan and Spanish cuisine. See More
Riad Elegancia Marrakech (Bab Doukkala) 11 rooms from £130Romantic Break - Will appeal to those after a real Moroccon experience, without sacrificing touches like spa, rooftop pool & sunset viewsLocal exploring - Well situated to enjoy access to the city's main sites yet situated with a quieter area than hotels right on the medinaValue chic - Offers an authentic boutique base with plenty of atmosphere and impressive luxury amenities at a stealSpa - Head to the property's Espace Raha Oriental Spa for spoiling massages, relaxing hammam experience & romantic couple's treatments
Riad Adore Dar el Bacha, Marrakech Medina 10 rooms from £130Local exploring - The souks, medina and main square are all easily accessed from the propertySights nearby - Go on a morning tour of Marrakech which includes the sweet gardens of Bahia Palace, Koutoubia Tower and the Saadian TombsLocal markets - There is an abundance of buzzing souks and markets to exploreSpa - Massage/Treatment room on the roof terrace.
Riad Mena & Beyond Marrakech 7 rooms from £130Local exploring - Set seven minutes' walk from the main square through picturesque alleyways, this hotel is perfectly placed for city exploringRomantic Break - With chic and spacious suites, a romantic pool and terrace, book this hotel for a unique couples' getawayCity Style - With stylish, elegant interiors and a tranquil location, book this hotel for boutique Marrakech charmLocal markets - The beating heart of Marrakech is in the markets; explore the sights and sounds of the city while bargaining for the best price
This boutique riad is situated in a former private residence a short walk from Marrakech's main square. Each suite has a unique character, with sleek, whitewashed interiors and an eclectic mix of antique and vintage soft furnishings. An 8-metre swimming pool completes this luxury riad experience. See More
Riad Kheirredine Marrakech (Slimane) 11 rooms from £125Local exploring - Within easy driving distance to the hub of the medinaGreat walks - Leave Marrakech on a day trip to Ourika Valley, a lush oasis of vegetation in the foothills of the magnificent Atlas MountainsSights nearby - Go on a morning tour of Marrakech which includes the sweet gardens of Bahia Palace, Koutoubia Tower and the Saadian TombsLocal markets - There is an abundance of buzzing souks and markets to explore
A sumptuous riad merging contemporary and traditional design to great effect. Terraces spill over with plants, the walls are white washed and there's two pools, as well as a restaurant serving delicious Italian-Moroccan cuisine. The top-notch service will be sure to leave you feeling very pampered! See More
72 Riad Living Marrakech 13 rooms from £156Spa - There's a traditional hammam with the best therapist in the medina, Aisha, who has been here for 17 years.Sights nearby - Shops, restaurants, cafés, souks and Place Jemaa El Fna are all within 5 minutes walk.Private Hot Tub - Book the Junior Suite or Arte Suite for a private terrace with outdoor hot tub.Hideaway - Great location hidden away down a quiet street in the medina.
Dar Les Cigognes Marrakech Medina 11 rooms from £143City Style - Magical rooms in a stylish Riad, with award winning restaurant and extensive spa services- all in the center of Marrakech!ElegantCooking classes - Learn to cook traditional Moroccan food with the school that was voted Best Moroccan Cooking School in the world.Local markets - Less than a ten minute walk away you'll find Jamaâ El Fna Square, the main market in MarrakechRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Riad Camilia Marrakech (Kaat Benahid) 6 rooms from £148Roof terrace - At over 650sq metres, this quintessential Marrakech rooftop is one of the largest of any boutique hotel in the cityRomantic Break - Dar El Bacha Suite has honeymoon written all over it; enjoy fireplaces, spectacular soaking tub & private courtyardLocal exploring - Fab location means it's an easy 5 min walk to the Rahba Kedima spice souk, Marrakech Museum & Medersa Ben YoussefHideaway - Tucked away down meandering sidelanes this is a true hidden haven & urban oasis
Tucked away in the heart of Marrakech's atmospheric medina, this beautifully restored riad is the epitome of boutique chic. Romantic rooms & expansive suites are wrapped around a lush interior courtyard that leads to a stunning rooftop. Traditional dishes are available on request. Hidden gem. See More
L'Hotel Marrakech Marrakech 5 rooms from £261Hideaway - A luxury riad hidden away from the city noise, ideal for total escapismDesigner - The unifying factor is owner Jasper Conran’s exquisite taste, and an unfailing eye for first-rate traditional craftsmanshipLocal markets - The Medina is a great place for those interested in markets, street markets and shopping, with lots of souks to explore alsoLively area - On the doorstep is a busy local market and the Djemaa el-Fna is a 15-minute walk awayRecommended by - Tablet, Mr & Mrs Smith
An impeccably designed 5-suite riad with wonderfully lush gardens and pool. The sublime suites feature four posters, intricately carved furniture and egyptian cotton sheets. Refurbished and designed by owner Jasper Conran it comes as no surprise that this place exudes luxury and style. See More
La Sultana Marrakech (Kasbah) 28 rooms from £269Sights nearby - The famous Jemaa El Fna square, Saadian Tombs, Royal Palaces and Bahia Palace are all within walking distance.Cooking classes - Spend a morning with the hotel chef and learn the secrets of Moroccan cuisine.Local markets - Explore Marrakesh's enormous souk and hunt for a treasure.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet
Riad Siwan Marrakech (Riad Zitoun Jdid,) 7 rooms from £216Romantic Break - Tucked away within the riad for greater privacy, the Walata suite boasts a roaring fireplace & romantic four-poster bedLocal exploring - Well-located between the Djemaa el Fna and the Kasbah, a short walk from Bahia Palace, Badi Palace & the Saadian TombsShort break - Fab location makes this a perfect choice for a short sunshine-filled weekend; walk to almost everything in MarrakechViews - Climb the viewing tower for incredible vistas over the entire city & snow-capped Atlas Mountain beyondRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A beautiful boutique riad that has aced the combination of traditional beauty & laid-back contemporary luxury. Expect mosaics, exquisitely carved woodwork & grand soaring ceilings in art-filled rooms. Rooftop restaurant serves particularly good Moroccan fare. Chic centrally-located pied-a-terre. See More
Riad Farnatchi Marrakech (Rue Souk el Fassis) 9 rooms from £225Local markets - Just ten mins from Jemaâ El Fna Square.Cooking classes - There are a whole range of classes available from extensive courses to a day in the market followed by learning a dish or two.Great walks - Guided tours to help you uncover the history of Marrakech, get your bearings in the souks or even find the perfect carpet.Restaurant - In-house dining available for all meals. Le Trou au Mur serves a delcious mixture of Moroccan and European dishes.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection
An elegant luxury riad right in the heart of Marrakech. The chic airy suites feel spoiling and romantic, with private balconies, Egyptian cotton sheets and handmade furnishings. Traditional white marble hammam is an ideal way to unwind after a day in the Souks. A really exquisite and intimate spot. See More