The 12 Best Value Hotels in Amsterdam
A stay in ever-popular Amsterdam doesn't always come cheap, but pick your hotel with care and there are bargains to be found, even in top neighbourhoods like Amsterdam Centrum and the Canal Belt. That said, many of the best value hotels in Amsterdam are in areas like De Pijp and Westerpark, a bit more distant from the historic centre.
The best value hotels in Amsterdam
For a great location
Amsterdam is super-compact, so cost-conscious visitors find it easy to seek out a place to stay in central location within easy reach of prime attractions.
- Spacious and modern Hotel V. Frederiksplein is within walking distance of Museumplein. An affordable base.
- Family run Hotel Wiechmann is a well-priced B&B close to shopping and sights.
- Dorm rooms at ClinkNoord are among Amsterdam's best bargains, close to the EYE Filmmuseum and A'DAM Toren.
For affordable style
Finding a bargain doesn't need to mean compromising on style. Even on a budget, you'll find hotels offer bedrooms with a touch of class and public areas with flair.
- CitizenM Amsterdam City is a stylish hotel a short Metro ride from the city centre with a lively lounge and canteen area.
- At Hotel Not Hotel you'll find rooms that are works of art in their own right and a lively bar and lounge for socialising. For a well priced city break.
- The Lloyd Hotel and Cultural Embassy provides both chic accommodation and a cultural hub in one place. Rooms are uniquely done and very reasonably priced.
- For cool surroundings close to nightlife and sights, Max Brown offers well-priced rooms in an upscale location.
For work and fun
Travellers who need to stay connected will find hotels that offer up-to-the-minute facilities for work, leisure and networking in trendy hotels around Amsterdam.
- In a repurposed newspaper building, Volkshotel has been reborn as a base for creative spirits, with flexible work spaces, individual rooms and a bar and nightclub for after-work R&R.
- Zoku offers affordable lofts with self-catering facilities, ultrafast broadband and shared spaces for work and socialising.
For an eco-conscious stay
Fretting over your carbon footprint? Some of Amsterdam's best value for money hotels work hard to reduce their impact on the environment.
- Conscious Hotel Vondelpark aims to provide as green, sustainable and eco-friendly a stay as possible. So much of their furniture is made from recycled materials, their energy is from renewable sources and they have an eco-roof for attracting wildlife. A short walk to the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museum.
For all the family
Families can keep costs down by staying in self-catering apartments and multi-bedded family suites in some of the best value hotels in Amsterdam.
- Smart self-catering apartments and a tranquil location near Artis Zoo make The Wittenberg a great choice for families. Bike hire is a plus.
- Separate living areas and a location away from crowds and city-centre grunge make self-catering apartments at Yays Zoutkeetsgracht, a good deal for families.
Hotel V Frederiksplein Amsterdam 48 rooms from £121Value chicCity StyleB+BLess £Recommended by - I Escape
Hotel Wiechmann Amsterdam 37 rooms from £108Great walks - This charming hotel is set on the Prinsengracht canal, an ideal spot for an evening stroll.Sights nearby - Main museum area is 15 minute walkViews - Some rooms with canal viewFull of characterRecommended by - Frommers
Hotel Wiechmann consists of three canal houses turned into a simple family-run B&B offering the essentials. Comfortable, breezy rooms with modern bathrooms and a complimentary delicious breakfast. Proximity to the main attractions and shopping districts is a big selling point. See More
CitizenM Amsterdam City Amsterdam 215 rooms from £77Value chic - A trendy property with smart common areas and neat bedrooms with good amenities, all for only €89 per night.City StyleRestaurant - CanteenM has a wide range of snack, salads, sushi etcSights nearby - You can be in Dam Square in 25minsRecommended by - Tablet
Accessible modern Dutch design with affordable accommodation. Small high tech rooms are bright and airy, with top notch accessories including rain showers and free movies on demand. The living and canteen area are lively meeting spots. A cool and great value choice for a city break. See More
ClinkNoord Amsterdam (Noord) 213 rooms from £110Local exploring - Located in the artsy Noord district of Amsterdam, this hostel makes a great starting point for local exploringValue chic - With beds in a shared dorm from under 20 euros, this hostel is great value for moneyGroups - The larger dorms are great if you are travelling with a groupSights nearby - Visit the Royal Palace Amsterdam, a palace used by the Dutch Royal House and which houses a number of 17th-century artworks
This friendly hostel is located in the Noord district of Amsterdam, on the banks of the River IJ. Guests can choose between modern private rooms, mixed or single-sex dorms. Lockers are available in every dorm, plush fresh linens and towels at reception. Meet other travellers in the bar; a fun hotel. See More
Hotel Not Hotel Amsterdam 23 rooms from £68City Style - A hotel where a room is not just a room but a work of art.Great walks - Take a stroll through the scenic Vondelpark.Full of characterDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
A unique property merging art, design and hospitality. Rooms, not immediately obvious on first impressions, are in themselves large art instillations. There's a lively common area which offers both breakfast and later cocktails and thai food. Well located and priced for a city break. See More
Lloyd Hotel & Cultural Embassy Amsterdam 117 rooms from £99Local markets - Explore the hip new Oostelijk Havengebied quarter, Amsterdam’s ‘New East’, in which the hotel is located.Sights nearby - Bimhuis concert hall is a just 15-minute walk from the property.Restaurant - Serving light meals and an extensive breakfast buffetQuirky - A creative hub, arty and innovativeRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Michelin Travel
Beautifully renovated cultural hub, where travellers can enjoy frequent art exhibitions and cultural events. Rooms are uniquely decorated, with modern Dutch designer furniture and original features - wooden beams and original tiling. An innovative location, dripping with creativity. See More
Max Brown Hotel Amsterdam 34 rooms from £113Sights nearby - Very central location, with many sights easily accessible on foot.Views - Views over the Herengracht Canal, one of Amsterdam's prettiestShort breakLively - Hip and happening.
Volkshotel Amsterdam 162 rooms from £69Local markets - Explore the famous flower markets.Full of characterRestaurant - Recommended.
Set in East Amsterdam, an old Newspaper Office HQ has been redesigned as a creative hub welcoming all guests, 'from stockbrokers to punk rockers.' The contemporary feel runs throughout the hotel, from the flexi work space to the exciting bar and nightclub and into the individually designed rooms. See More
Zoku Amsterdam 133 rooms from £239Local exploring - Just a short walk from some of Amsterdam's main attractions.Bicycle hire - Bikes available to hire from €10 a day.Conference facilities - Co-working spaces available.Garden - Stunning rooftop garden.Recommended by - Tablet
Conscious Hotel Vondelpark Amsterdam 81 rooms from £90Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
The Wittenberg 1018 VL Amsterdam 115 rooms from £160Local exploring - The apartment style living is ideal for more independent travellers, and its well located to easily access the famous sightsSights nearby - Head to the nearby Hortus Bontanicus just across the canal, the world's oldest botanic gardenLocal markets - Wander around the world-famous Waterlooplein Flea MarketRomantic - Good for couples.
Yays Zoutkeetsgracht Amsterdam 31 rooms from £214City Style - Located in a heritage building in the leafy Zeeheldenbuurt, this hotel has lots of local styleFamilies - The larger self-catering apartments are great for families travelling with childrenRomantic Break - Book a luxury apartment on a houseboat for a unique couples' getawayGreat walks - Explore the neighbouring Westerpark on a long walk; the park combines green spaces with iconic architecture and great nightlife
This hotel offers contemporary, self-contained apartments in Zeeheldenbuurt, Amsterdam. Accommodation is sleek and stylish, offering separate living space and self-catering facilities; live like a local with a stay in the chic houseboat apartment. Order groceries to your door; a charming city hotel. See More