- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Pula
Pula is the capital of Istria in North Western Croatia. The city is most famous for its magnificent 1st century Roman amphitheatre which is one of finest and best preserved in the world. It is still in use today as an arts venue. The best places to stay in Pula, both in the town itself and surrounding area, are great bases allowing you to enjoy the multitude of fascinating things to do and places to go.
Apart from the magnificent ‘Arena’, there is the 1st century triumphal arch, the Arch of the Sergii and the Temple of Rome and Augustus among many other sites of antiquity.
Pula is characterised by its simple stone houses which rub shoulders with glorious Roman remains. In the 19th century the city became one of Austria-Hungary’s most fashionable resorts. Gas streetlighting, trams and railways were installed and neo-classical hotels and smart villas built.
The Old Quarter with its narrow streets teems with medieval and renaissance buildings; the Byzantine Chapel of St. Mary Formosa, the Church of St. Francis, the Cathedral of the assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
The surrounding countryside is beautiful - in particular the Burijuni National Park, which has drawn people from all over the world.
There are beaches, fishing villages, one can try scuba diving and explore the wrecks of Roman galleys and warships from the First World War. The area is also a great place to discover on a bicycle.
What not to miss:
- Be sure to visit Pula's main attraction, the magnificent 1st century Roman amphitheatre, one of finest and best preserved in the world.
- The Arch of the Sergii and the Temple of Rome and Augustus are also well worth a visit.
- Wander through the Old Quarter and view the pretty medieval and renaissance buildings.
- Escape the city and take long hikes through the picturesque Burijuni National Park.
- Spend lazy days, basking in the sun, on one of the many beaches.
Like most of Croatia's resorts, the best places to stay in Pula get very booked up during July and August. So if you're planning a summer visit, get organised and book early!
For off the beaten track luxury
- Wine Hotel and Restaurant Meneghetti is a boutique four bedroomed hotel situated on a secluded estate in the heart of the Istrian vineyards and offers the ultimate wine and dine experience. It is a haven of peace and privacy with luxury and refinement and a great base for enjoying the outdoor activities or simply chilling out!
For an apartment or villa
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Fly to Pula international airport offering daily flights to Zagreb, and direct services from many European cities including Amsterdam, Dublin,Edinburgh, London, Manchester, Oslo, Vienna and Zurich. There is also a train station near the waterfront with services serving Istria and into Slovenia.
- Best time to visit - during the months of May and June and September and October the days are pleasant and sunny, ideal for swimming in the sea and sunbathing and all the tourist facilities up and running but no crowds.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Pula
Wine Hotel & Restaurant Meneghetti 2 rooms from AU$186Pula
A beautiful stone farmhouse with its own vineyards and olive groves in the heart of Istria. Romantic rustic rooms and suites have wooden floors and pastel furnishings. Stunning views, Mediterranean cuisine, indoor and outdoor pools, and dining areas dotted around. Utterly romantic and rural.Foodies - Healthy and fragrant Mediterranean cuisine.Romantic BreakSwimming Pool - Indoor and Outdoor PoolsGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux