Search the best hotels in Cognac
The town of Cognac over the river Charente is synonymous with its ‘Eau de Vie’ which Victor Hugo described as being ‘the liquor of the Gods’. Cognac, 400km South West of Paris, is full of history. The Renaissance King Francis 1st was born here and was instrumental in starting the city on the road to commercial success. The best places to stay in Cognac give the visitor a perfect base for exploring both the town and the wider region of the Charente and Charente-Maritime.
What Not To Miss
- Cognac was originally on the pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela in North Western Spain. The old town is charming with its narrow streets and timber framed houses. There are lovely walks along the Charente.
- There are a variety of ‘Cognac tours’ of the many producers and surrounding vineyards. One can also take a cruise along the river on a ‘Gabarre’ or flat bottomed boat traditionally used to transport barrels of brandy. This is a good way to view the town from a different perspective.
- Other sites of interest include; the Chateau des Valois, St. Leger church, Musée des arts du Cognac, the Saint Gobain glassworks.
- Cognac Public Garden is a charming spot in the centre of the town with quaint winding paths, ideal for taking a relaxing stroll and enjoying the colourful flowerbeds.
Don't forget that this city is a popular year round destination and our pick of the best places to stay in Cognac are always busy during peak periods. So get organised and plan ahead!
The best places to stay in Cognac
For a relaxing escape
- The Chateau de l’Yeuse is an elegant family hotel near the river Charente, just outside Cognac. The hotel has a gourmet restaurant which enjoys panoramic views of the river valley and surrounding countryside. The spa offers massage treatments and has a hot tub, sauna and Turkish baths. Cognac Golf Club is 7km away.
For an apartment or holiday villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday - don't hesitate to visit our online partner, Booking.com for a selection of centrally-located properties perfect for exploring the town.
- Fly to Bordeaux–Mérignac Airport located 131 kms (81 miles) from Cognac with a wide selection of flights across Europe and further afield including to Africa and North America.
- Alternatively, catch a train to Cognac with rail links across France including to Paris.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the region and vineyards - click here for prices and booking.
- Best time to visit - the summer from June to August for warm temperatures ideal for exploring the outdoors and the vineyards.
Still not sure?
- Browse our list of the best places to stay in Cognac,
- Expand your search to include our recommendations in La Rochelle or Bordeaux
- Or contact, one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Cognac
Best Hotels in Cognac
Chateau de L'Yeuse Cognac 24 rooms from CA$111Families - With so many activities on the doorstep, it will be hard to find time to enjoy the hotel's pool and gardensSights nearby - Chateau de la RochefoucauldLocal markets - Good for local colour.TraditionalRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Hotel Chais Monnet Cognac 92 rooms from CA$303Local exploring - Set in the heart of the picturesque town, this hotel is the perfect base for exploring the namesake cognac distilleriesFoodies - With two tantalizing restaurants onsite, both serving contemporary gourmet cuisine, this hotel is great for foodiesRomantic Break - With well-appointed suites, a romantic bar and great restaurants, this hotel makes a dream couples' getawayRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
This luxury hotel is nestled in the heart of Cognac. The heritage site where the hotel is located has been lovingly remodelled with the help of a renowned architect and now offers elegant guestrooms in soft pastels with luxurious linens and a sleek spa. This bolt-hole makes a great romantic getaway. See More