- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Book Online Now
Search the best hotels in Cognac
The town of Cognac over the river Charente is synonymous with its ‘Eau de Vie’ which Victor Hugo described as being ‘the liquor of the Gods’. Cognac, 400km South West of Paris, is full of history. The Renaissance King Francis 1st was born here and was instrumental in starting the city on the road to commercial success. The best places to stay in Cognac give the visitor a perfect base for exploring both the town and the wider region of Poitou-Charentes.
What Not To Miss
- Cognac was originally on the pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela in North Western Spain. The old town is charming with its narrow streets and timber framed houses. There are lovely walks along the Charente.
- There are a variety of ‘Cognac tours’ of the many producers and surrounding vineyards. One can also take a cruise along the river on a ‘Gabarre’ or flat bottomed boat traditionally used to transport barrels of brandy. This is a good way to view the town from a different perspective.
- Other sites of interest include; the Chateau des Valois, St. Leger church, Musée des arts du Cognac, the Saint Gobain glassworks.
- Cognac Public Garden is a charming spot in the centre of the town with quaint winding paths, ideal for taking a relaxing stroll and enjoying the colourful flowerbeds.
Don't forget that this city is a popular year round destination and our pick of the best places to stay in Cognac are always busy during peak periods. So get organised and plan ahead!
The best places to stay in Cognac
For historic opulence
- Chateau Saint Martial - perched next to the Charente river sits this beautiful 19th Century Chateau with its equally beautiful 6 acre garden. The bedrooms retain their charming character and are filled with pretty pieces of antique furniture. Plenty of fabulous sites nearby including La Rochelle and Cognac distilleries.
For a relaxing escape
- The Chateau de l’Yeuse is an elegant family hotel near the river Charente, just outside Cognac. The hotel has a gourmet restaurant which enjoys panoramic views of the river valley and surrounding countryside. The spa offers massage treatments and has a hot tub, sauna and Turkish baths. Cognac Golf Club is 7km away.
For a charming B&B
- Logis de L'Astree is a rustic B&B located on a beautiful winery. The main building has history dating back to the 15th century. Bedrooms are cool with lofty ceilings and original stone features. There is a cosy lounge with authentic fireplace. Explore the nearby Coran Valley - bikes available at hotel.
- Logis de Bresdon is a delightful country house B&B with an excellent table d'hotes. Beautiful white rooms and one house (sleeps 4) with french windows onto the lawn. Beautiful gardens, pool, and hot tub. A laid back and charming escape to the countryside. Adults only.
- Chateau de la Tillade is a B&B in a pretty chateau. Interiors are unique, with princess beds, freestanding claw baths, small art works and parquet floors. Breakfast is served in traditional dining room. Very friendly hosts; good value.
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday - don't hesitate to visit our online partner, Booking.com for a selection of centrally-located properties perfect for exploring the town.
- Fly to Bordeaux–Mérignac Airport located 131 miles (81 miles) from Cognac with a wide selection of flights across Europe and further afield including to Africa and North America.
- Alternatively, catch a train to Cognac with rail links across France including to Paris.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the region and vineyards - click here for prices and booking.
- Best time to visit - the summer from June to August for warm temperatures ideal for exploring the outdoors and the vineyards.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Cognac
Chateau Saint Martial 5 rooms from £131Cognac (16200 JARNAC)
Perched next to the Charente river sits this beautiful 19th Century Chateau with its equally beautiful 6 acre garden. The bedrooms retain their charming character and are filled with pretty pieces of antique furniture. Plenty of fabulous sites nearby including La Rochelle and Cognac distilleries.Artworks - There is a private collection of artworkSights nearby - Located 4.3 miles from the famous Abbaye de Bassac and enjoy the picturesque charm of La RochelleSpa - No spa but you can request swedish or californian massagesGreat walks - Lovely walks near Jarnac
Chateau de L'Yeuse 24 rooms from £66Cognac
An elegant hotel near the river Charente. Charming rooms feature opulent wallpapers, antique style furniture, and stunning views. Spa, sauna and outdoor pool. Gourmet French food, lovely bar area. Great value, family friendly.Families - With so many activities on the doorstep, it will be hard to find time to enjoy the hotel's pool and gardensSights nearby - Chateau de la RochefoucauldLocal markets - Good for local colour.Spa