Search the best hotels in Cognac
Perched on the banks of the Charente River, the town of Cognac is synonymous with its most delicious creation — dubbed ‘the liquor of the Gods’ by Victor Hugo. Four hundred kilometres south-west of Paris, this is a community steeped in history, and a fantastic destination for history buffs and foodies alike. Accommodation options include private villas, family-friendly hideaways and glamorous spa hotels, which fill up especially fast during the summer months. Chosen for their superb location, amenities and design, the best places to stay in Cognac await.
On the original pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela, Cognac promises a charming maze of narrow streets lined with timber-framed houses and beautiful heritage landmarks. Visit the riverside Château Royal de Cognac, the gorgeous St. Léger Church and the Maison de la Lieutenance before delving further into the past at the Musée d’Art et de l’Histoire.
The Public Gardens offer tranquil winding paths, whilst strolls along the riverbank come highly recommended. Cruise along the river on boats built for transporting brandy, or tour the area’s many vineyards and cognac producers to enjoy expert-led tours and tastings. There are cycling, horse riding and walking routes aplenty in the area — ideal for active excursions before rejuvenating spa afternoons at the best places to stay in Cognac.
The Best Places to Stay in Cognac
For Families or Groups
- Château de l’Yeuse is an elegant hotel near the Charente River, just outside Cognac. Expect rooms with space for little ones, a superb spa, swimming pool and gourmet restaurant. Go hiking, cycling and horse riding in the area. Fun for guests of all ages; groups of friends will appreciate the convivial atmosphere and the cognac lounge.
- Hôtel Chais Monnet offers a fabulously luxurious stay in Cognac. Perfect for romantic couples and well-heeled travellers, this glamorous hotel has an indulgent spa, two restaurants and a selection of sophisticated suites and private apartments. An exceptional choice in Cognac.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Bordeaux–Mérignac Airport or to La Rochelle Airport and travel to Cognac by car or bus in under 1.5 hours. Alternatively, take a high-speed train from Paris; you'll be in Cognac in 4 hours.
- The Charente area is brilliant for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Visit during the summer for the warmest weather (around 22-26°C). For fewer crowds, travel in the late spring or early autumn and avoid the school holidays.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in nearby La Rochelle.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Charente.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Cognac
Best Hotels in Cognac
Chateau de L'Yeuse Cognac 24 rooms from £66Families - With so many activities on the doorstep, it will be hard to find time to enjoy the hotel's pool and gardensSights nearby - Chateau de la RochefoucauldLocal markets - Good for local colour.TraditionalRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Hotel Chais Monnet Cognac 92 rooms from £180Local exploring - Set in the heart of the picturesque town, this hotel is the perfect base for exploring the namesake cognac distilleriesFoodies - With two tantalizing restaurants onsite, both serving contemporary gourmet cuisine, this hotel is great for foodiesRomantic Break - With well-appointed suites, a romantic bar and great restaurants, this hotel makes a dream couples' getawayRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
This luxury hotel is nestled in the heart of Cognac. The heritage site where the hotel is located has been lovingly remodelled with the help of a renowned architect and now offers elegant guestrooms in soft pastels with luxurious linens and a sleek spa. This bolt-hole makes a great romantic getaway. See More