Search the best hotels in Taunggyi
The capital of Shan State, Taunggyi is a wonderful gateway to the region, especially to Inle Lake, and you'll find many of the best places to stay in Taunggyi actually sit just outside the city. Taunggyi is known for its wonderful fire balloon festival held at the beginning of November during which vast paper hot air balloons in the shape of animals hover in the air over the city. In the evenings the balloons carry treats and fireworks as well, so it can get pretty interesting. On a non-festival day Taunggyi is a big, mountaintop market town known for tea and Thai and Chinese goods.
What Not To Miss
- Pay a visit to the fascinating Indein Village - reached by boat on the Inle Lake, this ancient village has many ancient stupas. There's also local vendors selling everything from food to clothing.
- Experience an unusual method of growing crops at the Floating Gardens where local farmers use organic matting to grow crops on the water's surface. It really does make for a fascinating sight.
- The Kakku Pagodas are also quite the spectacle with their intricate stonework. The route to Kakku is also worth the journey with beautiful countryside making the drive really enjoyable.
- The Nga Phe Kyaung Monastery is an experience like no other. Beyond the golden statues and shrines, it is also known as the Jumping Cats Monastery owing to the resident cats trained to jump through hoops.
- Enjoy a picturesque boat journey to the remote village of Sagar. The village has a monastery and ancient stupas making it a fascinating cultural experience as well as being a great glimpse into rural village life.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Taunggyi cater to visitors of all interests, whether you're looking for a luxurious escape or a lakeside location, we've got it covered.
The Best Places to stay in Taunggyi
For a luxury hideaway
- The Monte Divino Lodge is a wonderful hideaway not far from Taunggyi and Inle Lake. It also has the honour of being Burma's first vineyard. So far there are just three minimalist teak bungalows on stilts, offering views of the vines and the lush, misty valley beyond. There's also a restaurant, and, of course, plenty of local wine to try.
For Lake Inle
- If you want to overlook Lake Inle, then Villa Inle is a a great option, a boutique eco-lodge offering immaculate stilted villas, a superb spa and excellent food.
- Fly to Heho Airport located 38km (23 miles) from Taunggyi. The airport serves various domestic destinations including Mandalay and Yangon.
- If you want to rent a car, for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - the drier months from October to March typically provide warm weather with lower levels of rainfall.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Taunggyi,
- Alternatively, widen the net and check out all our recommendations in Mandalay or Yangon.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Taunggyi
Best Hotels in Taunggyi
MONTE diVINO Lodge Taunggyi (Taungyyi) 3 rooms from CA$197Wine tastingRestaurant - WineGarden RestaurantViews - Across the VineyardsHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
Sanctum Resort Taunggyi (Nyaung Shwe Township) 94 rooms from CA$213Back to Nature - Set in a peaceful idyll overlooking Inle Lake, where detachment is a priority, where simplicity and contemplation reign supremeLocal exploring - Local industry abounds, from shops rolling cigars, to boatyards and handicraft garmentsLakeside - The country’s second largest lake, InleViews - Beautiful views over Lake Inle
Set on a small hill overlooking the stunning Lake Inle, this resort offers peace and tranquility amongst the waterways. Feast on sophisticated local Shan cuisine made with produce from the organic vegetable garden. The convivial bar offers views over the lake and there's an idyllic pool. Luxurious. See More
Inle Heritage Taunggyi (Inle Lake, Shan State,) 6 rooms from CA$224Back to Nature - Nearby are 'ye-chan', floating gardens made from rafts of water hyacinth and silt, anchored to the lake bed with bamboo stakeEco break - Inle Heritage is a not-for-profit organisation that preserves the cultural and natural wealth of the Inle regionKayaking - Take a guided canoe trip around the lake and its channels to experience the nearby villages and communitiesTraditional - Built in the style of traditional wooden Inle houses using features salvaged from historic properties
Six luxurious villas on stilts set on the beautiful freshwater Lake Inle. Traditionally designed exteriors open onto light and spacious interiors with simple style using natural materials. A not-for-profit organisation that aims to preserve the cultural and natural wealth of the region. See More
Villa Inle Taunggyi (Taunggyi, Shan) from CA$290Back to NatureSights nearby - Taunggyi hot-springs. Kakku Pagodas and Pindaya Caves.Birdwatching - Lots of wildlife to be seen on the lakeLakeside - Thousands of native plants and trees.