Search the best hotels in Taunggyi
The capital of Shan State, Taunggyi is the natural gateway to a region rich in diverse landscapes and experiences. Although much of Shan State has been closed to visitors in recent years, travellers can still revel in the wonders of Inle Lake, cultural hotspots and off-the-beaten track villages. Do look into the latest travel advice before you plan your trip to this striking part of Myanmar; it really is well worth discovering if the timing is right. Tranquil and characterful, our pick of the best places to stay in Taunggyi invite guests to immerse themselves in discovering this relatively under-explored region. Choose from a range of hotels from luxury five star stays on Lake Inle to small boutique properties that offer exceptionally good value for money.
Taunggyi itself is famed for its annual fire balloon festival, held each November. Marvel at vast, animal-shaped paper hot air balloons hovering over the city during the day, or watch balloons carrying treats and fireworks through the balmy night air in the evenings. Market day in the city is another highlight, with Thai and Chinese goods traded over steaming cups of tea. Don’t miss the Kakku Pagodas, a scenic drive from Taunggyi, or the golden Nga Phe Kyaung Monastery — also dubbed the ‘Jumping Cat Monastery’ for its trained resident cats. Venture still further to explore the monastery and centuries-old stupas of Sagar, a remote village offering a fascinating insight into local culture.
Inle Lake is perhaps the area’s biggest draw, and best explored by boat with an expert guide. Drifting over the lake’s still waters, you’ll spot fishermen twirling glistening nets from traditional boats, birds flitting through the skies, and small villages perched on leafy islands. Indein Village is popular for its ancient stupas and busy vendors, whilst the floating gardens are home to myriad crops grown by dedicated farmers on woven organic matting.Whether you’re looking for a luxurious lakeside hotel or a restful rural retreat, our list of the best places to stay in Taunggyi has it all.
The Best Places to stay in Taunggyi
For Contemporary Cool
- Sofitel Inle Lake Myat Min is a chic contemporary hotel with swish, white-on-white suites overlooking the lake. Elegant rooms and suites have muslin-draped beds, indulgent bathrooms and attractive private balconies. With two restaurants, event spaces and a fun kids club, this is a seriously impressive property.
For Wine Aficionados
- Monte DiVino Lodge is a wonderful hideaway not far from Taunggyi. Myanmar's very first vineyard, this rural hideaway has a fascinating wine-producing story, and offers tours and tastings for keen food and wine fans. Minimalist teak bungalows sit on stilts, overlooking the lush, mist-bedecked valley beyond. Charming.
For a Lakeside Retreat
- Villa Inle is a hugely romantic boutique eco-lodge, with individual villas overlooking Inle Lake. The superb spa promises rejuvenating treatments using natural ingredients, and elegant rooms have big beds draped with mosquito nets, free-standing tubs and private terraces. A honeymoon favourite.
- Sanctum Resort also boasts views of Inle Lake, this time from atop a small hill. Characterful rooms and suites await couples and families, and the restaurant specialises in Shan cuisine crafted from the organic vegetable garden's ample produce. A soothing spa and swimming pool complete the picture.
For Value Chic
- La Maison Birmane Boutique Hotel is a charming and affordable spot with heaps of character. Chalet-style rooms are made of polished wood, with traditional Burmese interiors and private balconies. The French-Burmese cuisine is a highlight! Book a multi-bedroom Villa Suite for a trip with family and friends.
- Viewpoint Ecolodge offers stilted rooms on the edge of a private lagoon. Rooms have a classic Burmese feel, with handwoven textiles and lots of exposed wood. Enjoy the swimming pool, small spa and great cuisine — as well as the unusual setting. Very reasonably priced.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Yangon International Airport, and catch a short domestic flight to Heho Airport. Alternatively, journey by road or rail from Bagan or Mandalay.
- It's brilliant to have the independence of your own transport if you're comfortable driving in Asia. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Temperatures hover around 28-35°C for much of the year, with the heaviest rainfall expected between June and September. Travel between November and January for slightly cooler temperatures.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Mandalay.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Myanmar.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Taunggyi
Best Hotels in Taunggyi
La Maison Birmane Boutique Hotel Taunggyi (Shan State) 12 rooms from £51Active Holiday - A brilliant base for an active holiday spent enjoying boat trips, cycling tours, hikes and fishing on Inle LakeFamilies - Villa Suites with multiple bedrooms and private terraces are ideal for families or groups travelling togetherHotel boats for hire - Speak to the team about guided boat trips on Inle Lake - perhaps the area's one unmissable experienceLocal markets - Venture to Taunggyi, around an hour away, to visit lively fish and vegetable markets
A charming, laid-back collection of chalet-style rooms featuring four-poster beds, private terraces & traditional Burmese decor. Book a larger Villa Suite for family or group trips, or cosy up as a couple under pitched ceilings & gaze out over lush gardens. The French-Burmese cuisine is a highlight. See More
Viewpoint Ecolodge Taunggyi (Inle Lake, Shan State) 21 rooms from £74Cooking classes - Fabulous Shan cooking classes begin with visits to the market, and end with enjoying your culinary efforts with paired winesEco break - A charming eco-escape built using sustainable traditional techniques and championing living in harmony with the environmentSights nearby - Private visits to Intha house on Inle Lake for home-cooked lunches & cigar workshop tours are very specialRomantic Break - Deluxe Suites are very romantic and perfect for relaxing couples' escapes
A collection of orange-painted stilted eco-lodges on a private lagoon with balconies, wooden interiors & handwoven textiles atop cosy beds. The floating pool is an unusual addition, and the Shan cuisine a particular standout. Restful, romantic and eco-focused, with a warm, inviting atmosphere. See More
Sofitel Inle Lake Myat Min Taunggyi 101 rooms from £105City Style - A swish luxury hotel close to the banks of Inle Lake, offering all the mod cons of a contemporary city hotelFamilies - Families will appreciate the kids club activities, the two swimming pools and flexible room optionsHotel boats for hire - Boat trips to Inle Lake's islands and floating villages are superb for the whole familyFishing - Fishing excurions on Inle Lake come highly recommended, either with line or traditional fishing nets
A chic, contemporary hotel with white-on-white suites overlooking picturesque Inle Lake. Romantic luxury suites have muslin-draped beds, elegant furnishings & private balconies, whilst Junior Suites with twin beds & cosy corners are perfect for little ones. An indulgent escape with superb sunsets. See More
MONTE diVINO Lodge Taunggyi (Taungyyi) 3 rooms from £117Foodies - A fabulous destination for keen foodies and wine aficionados, this is the very first vineyard in MyanmarGreat walks - Hikes and strolls through the countryside are a wonderful way to explore off-the-beaten-track MyanmarWine tasting - Savour vineyard tours and tastings at Mynamar's first vineyard, in a striking settingValue chic - A simple, great value choice for an unusual wine country stay in rural Myanmar
An idyllic, off-the-beaten-track hideaway on Myanmar’s first vineyard, not far from Inle Lake. This is a wonderful place to relax, eat and drink. Rooms are simple and welcoming, housed in teak lodges with private terraces overlooking the vineyards. Ideal for tours and tastings. See More
Sanctum Resort Taunggyi (Nyaung Shwe Township) 94 rooms from £126Back to Nature - Set in a peaceful idyll overlooking Inle Lake, this is a beautiful base for a holiday in one of Myanmar's most famous spotsLearning - Guided day tours of Lake Inle and Kakku, the hidden ‘forest of temples', are superb for understanding local cultureWine tasting - Take a guided bike ride to Red Mountain Estate, tour of the winemaking facilities & enjoy a winetastingLocal exploring - Exploring the local town on foot or two wheels, or take a boat ride on the lake
Set on a small hill overlooking the stunning Lake Inle, this resort offers peace and tranquility in abundance. Feast on sophisticated local Shan cuisine made with produce from the organic vegetable garden. The convivial bar has views over the lake & there's an idyllic pool. Very luxurious. See More
Villa Inle Taunggyi (Taunggyi, Shan) from £172Back to Nature - A bucolic retreat on the shores on Inle Lake, with kayaking, fishing, cycling, bird watching & hiking opportunitiesHoneymoons - Romantic villas with draped beds are ideal for honeymoons, complete with candlelit evenings in the gardenSights nearby - Taunggyi Hot Springs, the iconic Kakku Pagodas and Pindaya Caves all make for adventurous days outFishing - Relaxing fishing trips on the lake are a wonderful way to experience the beauty of rural Myanmar
A beautiful boutique hotel on the banks of picturesque Inle Lake. Secluded, peaceful, at one with nature yet utterly spoiling in every way. Private lake or garden view villas with hardwood floors, high ceilings, draped beds & big tubs are ideal for romantics. Bird watching plenty for nature lovers. See More