Search the best hotels in Santarém
Santarém's impressive old town walls offer up a very special view over the mighty Tagus River and the surrounding farmlands. The view makes it obvious why such walls were needed, this city occupies a key position, and the Romans, Visigoths, Moorish and Portuguese leaders all knew it and wanted control of the city. As well as being beautiful on the outside, Santarém benefitted from its historic mix of culture and architecture, and this is one of Portugal's most beautiful cities. There's not a lot of choice when it comes to the best places to stay in Santarém, but of the limited options, the best accommodation is definitely to be found in the old part of town.
Things not to miss:
- Santarém's amazing examples of Portuguese Gothic architecture are testament to the city's importance during the medieval period. Visit fantastic churches such as the Church of St. Stephen, the Church of the Holy Miracle and the Church of Saint John of Alporão.
- Also pay a visit to the Old Castle of Santarém, now in ruins overlooking the River Tagus.
- The Cabaças Tower was once part of the town's medieval walls and now houses a fascinating Time Museum.
One of the highlights of any visit to Santarém will be the unravelling of the city's history, as you stroll around the stunning town with its breathtaking views. The best places to stay in Santarém reflect the city's rich culture and heritage.
The best places to stay in Santarém
For an historic stay
- Casa da Alcacova is an impressive townhouse set right within the ancient ramparts of Santarém. The eight rooms are traditional, with stone floors, antiques and panoramic views over the river. There's also a fabulous table d'hôte.
For a private apartment or villa
- Explore the self-catering options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to Santarém is Lisbon (53 miles to the south).
- For hiring a car, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Santarém is from May to September, when the temperature sits comfortably in the twenties celcius.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Santarém
Casa da Alcacova Santarém (Portas do Sol) 8 rooms from CA$198Views - Spectacular views over the ramparts and the River Tagus.Great walks - The picturesque village of Caneiras - traditional fishermen´s houses built on stilts.Sights nearby - Castle of Almourol.Local markets - Good for local colour.
An historic townhouse set within the ancient ramparts of Santarem. Traditional rooms have antique furniture, stone floors, and sweeping views over the River Tagus. A lovely table d'hote, lots of castles to explore, wine tasting, and bullfighting. A fantastic spot to explore the region from. See More