Search the best hotels in Puerto Varas
About Puerto Varas
Puerto Varas lies in the Los Lagos region of southern Chile. Also known as ‘The city of roses’, Puerto Varas was founded as a settlement for German colonists in the mid-nineteenth century and is now a popular tourist destination that sits beside Lake Llanquihue. Original colonial architecture, countless churches, museums and art galleries are abound here (not to mention the keenly-felt residual German influence of craft beer and cake). It's also an area of breathtaking natural beauty; a haven of crystal-clear lakes, snow-crowned mountains, volcanoes, forests inhabited by all manners of wildlife and wildflower, it's a great place for an outdoor adventure holiday. Kayaking, flyfishing, white water rafting and snowboarding can all be found locally. Ideal for adventurers, history-lovers and backpackers alike, the best places to stay in Puerto Varas are all small, intimate and set within the striking countryside.
What not to miss
- Check out the Sacred Heart of Jesus Church, built in 1915, a notable landmark.
- Be sure to see the Antonio Felmer Museum.
- Immerse yourself in indigenous art at the Nativo Bosque Gallery.
- Go hiking to Osorno, an active and spectacular volcano.
- Enjoy fly-fishing on Todos los Santos Lake.
- Conquer the scenic walking trails of Parque Phillipi.
The best places to stay in Puerto Varas are all surrounded by nature, and perfectly placed for exploring both the city and the wider area.
The best places to stay in Puerto Varas
- Casa Werner is a boutique hotel located in the countryside outside of Puerto Varas, Chile. The charming, spacious guestrooms have a country feel, with comfortable beds, wooden floors and feature wallpaper; book a luxury suite for a freestanding bathtub. Sample Chilean cuisine in the restaurant; a cosy hotel.
- Estancia 440 is a boutique hotel, full of charm, masquerading as a traditional Patagonian farmhouse with its cosy interiors, parquet floors and antique furniture yet in the heart of the city and close to all the action. This is a great value in a central location.
- Hotel AWA is a spectacular design hotel with more glass than wall, offering views of Llanquihue Lake and Osorno Volcano. Inside, find local wood floors, volcanic rock walls and Mapuche fabrics which nod to the spectacular beauty of the surrounds. The food is wonderful and the gym is state of the art.
- Los Caiquenes is situated on the shore of Lake Llanquihue and features cosy country decor and spacious accommodation. This is a great base for hiking, walking, fishing or simply chilling out.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Santiago, and get a connection to El Tupual (30km's from Puerto Varas) from where you can either get a short taxi ride or bus to Puerto Varas.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is between December and March, when the temperature ranges between 9 and 21 degrees, and when there's the least rainfall.
Still not sure?
- For another flavour of Lago Llanquihue, try searching for the best places to stay in Frutillar,
- or Chile
- or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Monthly Weather in Puerto Varas
Best Hotels in Puerto Varas
Casa Werner Puerto Varas (LLanquihue) 9 rooms from €73Families - There are good accommodation options for adults travelling with children, making this hotel a favourite with familiesRomantic Break - Book a luxury suite for a romantic, freestanding bathtub; reserve a couples' massage for a cosy night inCountry Escape - With a serene countryside setting, this hotel makes a great escape from the cityBirdwatching - Located on one of the most diverse wetlands in the country, this hotel is an ideal spot for birdwatchingRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
This boutique hotel is located in the countryside outside of Puerto Varas, Chile. The charming, spacious guestrooms have a country feel, with comfortable beds, wooden floors and feature wallpaper; book a luxury suite for a freestanding bathtub. Sample Chilean cuisine in the restaurant; a cosy hotel. See More
Estancia 440 Puerto Varas 7 rooms from €79Hideaway - A tranquil farm house experience in the heart of the city.Value chic - A great value stay in the perfect location.Sights nearby - Visit the stricking red, white and black Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.Sailing - Take a scenic cruise on Lake Llanquihue.
A small boutique property packed full of charm. Just a short distance from the beach and with easy access to the cities attractions yet with the character of a Patagonian farmhouse. Cosy rooms feature parquet flooring, chintz fabrics and antique style furniture. A homely city base. See More
Los Caiquenes Puerto Varas 8 rooms from €118Great walks - Head for a hike around the lake and take in the stunning viewsFishing - There's plenty of fishing for you to enjoy on Llanquihue LakeViews - Stunning views of Osorno Volcano from the gardenRestaurant - Seving homemade Chilean cuisine
Los Caiquenes is situated on Llanquihue lakefront a few miles outside of Puerto Varas. It features cosy, country-style interiors and offers spacious rooms with plenty of wooden influences. Make use of their pool or sit back and enjoy the view from the hot tub. A great place to get away from it all. See More
Hotel AWA Puerto Varas 15 rooms from €396Eco break - The hotels organic farm supplies produce, they are heavy on recycling and composting and building materials used are all localBack to Nature - Jawdropping views of Osorno Volcano, and right next door are the national parks of the awesome Los Lagos regionGreat walks - Make sure you take a walk in the nextdoor national parks and soak up Chile's incredible Los Lagos regionOther Activities - We would recommend a days pamering in the spa, royal jelly facials, sauna sessions, massages and moreRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A spectacular design hotel with more glass than wall, offering views of Llanquihue Lake and Osorno Volcano. Inside, find local wood floors, volcanic rock walls and Mapuche fabrics nod to the spectacular beauty of your surrounds. The food is wonderful and the gym is state of the art. See More