Search the best hotels in Grimentz
A picturesque classic Alpine village in the heart of Val d'Anniviers, Grimentz is the perfect place to get away from it all and return to the simple things. Small when compared to some of the mega-resorts in the region, it still manages to retain its authentic charm and traditional way-of-life and due to this many of the best places to stay in Grimentz are charmingly rustic.
Grimentz is a village made up of narrow pedestrianised lanes lined with quaint wooden grain stores, barns and houses decked with blood-red geraniums. Some of the houses, like the Burgher House, date back to the 16th century: it is there that you can sample the infamous white glacier wine - a mainstay of nomadic farmers in days gone by - aged in large Larchwood barrels. There is also an old village bakery, where you can buy locally-made rye bread, and in the local bars, there is enough Edelweiss Schnaps to drown the region.
As for things-to-do, you are spoilt for choice. During the wintertime, skiing is popular here, particularly cross-country skiing, so the more experienced will be thrilled by the off-piste scene in the area. The glacier forefield of Moiry-glacier bares many geomorphological forms, and the Moiry glacier itself being the finest of its kind in the Alps. During the summer, there is a lot of hiking trails to choose from: the winding paved mountain road that runs around the gorge is a sight to see in itself, and there are over 100km of hiking and biking trails nearby.
What not to miss
- Buy some traditional locally-made rye bread from the old village bakery.
- Hike up to the Val d'Anniviers and drink in the sublime views.
- Enjoy conquering some of the 100km of hiking and biking trails in the area.
- If you're planning to go in July, you can enjoy the Folk Music Festival.
- Why not have a go at one of the toboggan runs?
- Check out the glacier forefield of Moiry-glacier, one of the finest of its kind in the Alps!
- Drink some white glacier wine at Burgher House.
This is a charming spot and, unsurprisingly, can get quite busy, so to ensure a room at one of the best places to stay in Grimentz we recommend booking well in advance.
The best places to stay in Grimentz
- Hotel Cristal: with spacious and contemporary Alpine rooms, stocked with minibars and large bathtubs, guests also benefit from reduced ski rental rates. Great for large families and well placed.
- Hotel Alpina: a traditional ski lodge sitting right beside a ski lift, offering simple pinewood rooms adorned with splashes of colour, and a superb restaurant serving sumptuous regional fare. Delightful!
- Hotel de Moiry: offering beautiful pineclad rooms, some of which feature a mezzanine, as well as an excellent restaurant. Ideal for couples looking for intimacy.
For an apartment or chalet
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of chalets and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Geneva, and then get a train (they leave every 30 mins) on to Sierre, a 2 hour journey, from where you get a short taxi or bus ride to Grimentz.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- Throughout the winter, the temperature averages at around freezing point; in the summer, it can reach highs of up to 21 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include all our properties in St Luc.
- Browse through the best places to stay in Switzerland.
- Or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Grimentz
Best Hotels in Grimentz
Hotel Cristal, Grimentz Grimentz 26 rooms from €138Romantic Break - Authentic Alpine rooms, with private balconies overlooking the valley, large bath tubs and a mini bar- the ideal evening in!Families - Ideally placed for an active family holiday, come winter or summer for hiking, biking, paragliding, skiing or skating!Great walks - Enjoy the beautiful walking trails around Grimentz, packed with incredible flora and fauna.Sights nearby - Ten miles from the 13th century Sion castles.
A simple, effective hotel in alpine town of Grimentz. Its rooms are spacious and comfortable and boast beautiful valley views. With guests enjoying reductions on ski rental, it's the ideal destination for a family skiing holiday. After a day on the slopes, relax in the hotel's Finnish sauna. See More
Hotel de Moiry Grimentz 17 rooms from €167Families - A laid-backed hotel with family rooms, kids meals in the restaurant and loads of activities nearby.Active Holiday - With the Alps on your doorstep there's endless options for outdoor pursuits.Full of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
Hotel Alpina Grimentz 32 rooms from €184Active Holiday - Well positioned for an active break, with easy access to the slopes and hiking trails.Families - Family rooms available and a playground to keep little ones occupied.Skiing - Ski-to-door access and slopes to suit all abilities.Views - Great views from hotel
A traditional ski lodge with a prime location offering ski-to-door access, right by a lift. Simple pine-clad rooms with crisp white linen and splashes of colour coming from the red curtains and bed covers. A regional restaurant complete with mountain views. A family-friendly alpine hotel. See More