Search the best hotels in Wilderness
A beautiful stretch of coastline, witnessing rolling breakers and dramatic skies, Wilderness is distinguishable by its long stretches of white sand, estuaries, and sheltered lagoons. The beaches, though excellent for scenic coastal strolls, have a powerful rip-tide, and swimming is not advised. But with Victoria Bay to the west and Wilderness National Park to the east, there is plenty of pristine natural habitat to be explored. Our recommendations will show you the best places to stay in Wilderness, from boutique to historic, in this rugged coastal town.
Unsurprisingly, all this has made Wilderness a favourite escape amongst Capetonian weekenders and tourists traversing The Garden Route. Fortunately, it retains a sense of quiet solitude. Holiday homes are not obtrusive in number, and there remains a delightful sense of community, with plenty of bijoux shops and cafés, where everyone seems to know each other - a testament to its thriving homely feel!
Whatever the season, our collection of the best places to stay in Wilderness showcase the finest hotels along this stretch of The Garden Route. But just remember to book well ahead, it's a popular spot!
The Best Places to stay in Wilderness
For a couples' stay
- Gorgeous interiors, private balconies all in a perfect setting; Dune Beach House is an idyllic stay for romantics.
For a boutique stay
- For a characterful stay, right on the beach, Dune Villa Wilderness provides a stylish stay, with clean and contemporary interiors, in a superb setting.
- Behind its apricot frontage, Cinnamon House combines period features with contemporary design. Throw in a delicious breakfast, included in the rate, and you've got yourself a great value boutique stay.
For a historic stay
- One of the first hotels to be built in this coastal holiday spot, Moontide Guest Lodge dates back to the 1920s and has charming period features, including an original thatched roof.
For a self-catering villa or apartment
- If a self-catering property is what you're looking for, check out the wide range with our online partner, booking.com.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the scenic Garden Route, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Alternatively, George Airport is a twenty-minute drive from Wilderness, with daily flights from Cape Town International Airport.
- April to September see the best weather in Wilderness, whilst November to February are the hottest and driest months. If you're not a fan of the rain, avoid travelling in March.
Still not sure?
- Widen the net to include our recommendations in nearby, Mossel Bay, George, Storms River, Plettenberg Bay, Knysna, and the whole of the Western Cape.
- Take a look at our top recommendations for The Garden Route.
- Or contact one of our gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Wilderness
Best Hotels in Wilderness
Cinnamon House Wilderness 13 rooms from £75Value chic - Period features meets contemporary design, plus a delicious breakfast included in the rate - all for under £100 a night.Great walks - Victoria Bay, its beautiful beaches and many walks is just a short drive awaySights nearby - Ratanga Junction theme park is just a short drive awaySwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Popular B&B within the town of Wilderness, an easy drive from both The Waterfront and Victoria Bay. Stylish suites include views of Table Mountain. All include tea and coffee making facilities, en-suite bathrooms, and the best have balconies. An excellent breakfast spread is included. See More
Moontide Guest Lodge Wilderness 8 rooms from £86Families - With a bounty of outdoor activities, families will loveActive Holiday - Plenty of on site and nearby activitiesSights nearby - Spot migrating whales in season from Dolphin’s PointGreat walks - Explore The Garden Route Botanical Gardens
One of the first properties to be built in the charming village of Wilderness, this 1920's thatched-lodge provides comfortable accommodation in a beautifully serene location, along the banks of Touwsrivier. Vaulted rooms are very cosy and include rolltop baths. A homecooked breakfast is served. See More
Dune Villa Wilderness Wilderness 5 rooms from £108Beach Life - With its own private stretch of beach, stylish suites with airy balconies are the ultimate in coastal livingSights nearby - The Kaaimans River makes an unmistakable outline of Africa. Known as The Map of Africa View Point, it is just 3km awayGreat walks - Walks along Wilderness Beach, known for its rugged beautyKayaking - Eden Adventures provides kayaking trips on the Touw River
Stylish, modern villa boasting a private stretch of coastline. Rooms include bright and airy balconies with stunning vistas. Relax in-room as the sound of the ocean serenade's your stay. A continental and English breakfast is served: fresh coffee and pastries out on the terrace. Bliss! See More
Dune Beach House Wilderness 8 rooms from £137Beach Life - Direct walk down to Victoria BayLocal markets - Wilderness Friday Market is well worth a wanderGreat walks - Long walks along Wilderness BeachKayaking - Along the Touw River
Stylish interiors boasting sea views. Pops of colour and tactile furnishings make for a memorable stay, as do the private balconies and modern bathrooms. An indulgent breakfast is included in the rate and there are plenty of scenic outdoor dining options. Walking distance from the coast. See More