Search the best hotels in Dolgellau
A pretty market town set close to Cadair Idris in Snowdonia National Park, Dolgellau is a fantastic base for eager explorers of the great outdoors. Accommodation options within the town and surrounding area are mostly cosy guesthouses and B&Bs. Our pick of the best places to stay in Dolgellau promises charming design in intimate, small - often family-owned - hotels, offering a warm Welsh welcome and stacks of local recommendations to help you make the most of your trip.
Nestled near the River Wnion, Dolgellau boasts more than 200 listed buildings, many of which are made from dark local stone, and there is heaps of history to discover along the narrow streets and appealing squares. The town is also an important hub for Welsh music — look out for a lively programme of events in Dolgellau's Ty Siamas, the National Centre for Folk Music.
The big attraction, of course, is Snowdonia itself. Hikers can conquer the great mountain of Cadair Idris, or embark upon picturesque walks in all directions. Active adventurers will adore the myriad cycling routes of the Coed y Brenin Forest Park, roaming through the countryside on horseback, or birdwatching in the lovely Mawddach Estuary. There are water sports, too, just 25 minutes away in Bala, where Wales’ largest natural lake has become popular for canoeing, sailing and windsurfing. Drive to the seaside, treat yourself to tea and cake in one of the town’s cafes, or head out to marvel at the famed Narrow Gauge Railways, some of which are within easy reach of Dolgellau by car.
Round off days of discovering Snowdonia’s wild, rugged beauty with cosy pub evenings, feasting on delicious regional dishes in your guesthouse’s restaurant. The best places to stay in Dolgellau fuse laid-back authenticity with smart, contemporary design in heritage buildings — ideal for a memorable Snowdonia escape.
The Best Places to Stay in Dolgellau
For a boutique stay
- The Ffynnon Town House is a five-room boutique B&B in a carefully converted Dolgellau rectory. Pick this place for thoughtfully-appointed contemporary rooms, big bathrooms and a family-friendly feel. There are stacks of books, games and DVDs, as well as an inviting lounge with an honesty bar!
- Y Meirionnydd is a cosy Dolgellau base, with five lovely bedrooms and recently refurbished bathrooms. The big highlights are the bar and cellar restaurant, crafting cracking regional fare in a charming setting. A rustic-chic boutique spot, ideal for a relaxed foodie stay.
Just out of town
- The Cross Foxes boasts six stylish rooms in a fabulous location at the foot of Cadair Idris Mountain. Think smart contemporary decor, exposed stone walls and an atmospheric bar and restaurant offering hearty dishes. A great base for outdoorsy explorers.
For an apartment or cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Birmingham Airport and catch a train to Machynlleth, just 20 minutes by taxi from Dolgellau.
- This is a wonderful area to explore by road. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Visit during the summer months (June to August) for long days, more sunshine and warmer weather. Autumn and winter can be rather grey and wet!
Still not sure?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Gwynedd.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Wales.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Dolgellau
Best Hotels in Dolgellau
Y Meirionnydd Dolgellau 5 rooms from £89Hideaway - A perfect retreat from everyday life- a charming country hotel with a cosy bar, fantastic restaurant and chic rooms.Great walks - Bring your walking boots and head out on the Mawddach trail with a lunch packed by the hotel.Sights nearby - The area is dotted with ancient castles and areas of interest, ask your hosts to guide you.Restrictions on children - Adults onlyRecommended by - Sawdays
A quaint option at the heart of Snowdonia National Park. A former country jail now beautifully renovated. Rooms feature exposed stone walls, crisp white linen and comfortable beds. The intimate restaurant serves hearty food and there's a cosy bar. An ideal spot to return to after a day outdoors. See More
Cross Foxes Dolgellau 6 rooms from £140Active Holiday - Set at the foot of Cadair Idris Mountain and with Snowdonia National Park nearby there is a host of activities available.Full of characterSecluded setting - For escaping.Views - Great views from hotel
A smart small hotel boasting a fabulous location nestled at the foot of Cadair Idris Mountain. Individually styled rooms feature crisp white linen, exposed stone and simple contemporary furniture. An atmospheric bar and restaurant serves hearty food alongside a choice selection of ales. See More
Ffynnon Town House Dolgellau 6 rooms from £142Families - Ideal for families, with plenty of books, DVDs, games and activities plus kiddies menu and use of a of a Butler's Pantry.Romantic Break - Perfectly isolated, cosy rooms and an outdoor hot tub with champagne and strawberries to order.Great walks - Great hill walking on Cadr Idris or explore the magical Snowdonia National Park.Birdwatching - Bring your binoculars, the RSPB Coed Garth Gell reserve is close to the hotel.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Sawdays, Good Hotel Guide
A boutique B&B with just five perfect rooms. Contemporary decoration with traditional features. Crisp linen and comfortable beds with ornate headboards. A cosy lounge with an honesty bar and open fireplace awaits after a day outdoors. A stunning location ideal for discovering southern Snowdonia. See More