Search the best hotels in St Barts
About St Barts
Perhaps the Caribbean’s most sophisticated island, trendy St-Barthélemy is simply ’St. Barts’ to most English speakers, and ‘St-Barth’ to the French. Famed for its natural beauty as well as its glamorous restaurants, boutiques and hotels, this French West Indies gem has long attracted a fashionable and affluent international crowd. That said, there’s a whole array of accommodation to choose from — including laid-back cottages, expansive family-friendly resorts and exquisite couples’ hideaways. Many of the best places to stay in St Barts are set near the brilliant beaches of St Jean Bay or Grand Cul-de-Sac Bay, but some of our favourites are hidden on hillsides with panoramic ocean views.
Originally home to Arawak Indians, the island was later settled by the Caribs and eventually named by Christopher Columbus, in honour of his brother. A heavily French-influenced identity — with almost a century of Swedish colonisation thrown in — has left a fascinating blend of European architectural styles, particularly in Gustavia, the pretty capital. Culture aficionados should explore the Wall House Museum, Le P’tit Collectionneur Museum, and St Bartholomew’s Anglican Church whilst in town. The ruins of Swedish-built Fort Gustave are also intriguing, and Gustavia boasts a top-notch selection of excellent eateries, bars, shops and marinas.
St Barts is fringed by powder-white beaches, rocky cliffs suitable for fabulous hikes, and sparkling waters for sailing, scuba diving and snorkelling. Toiny Bay is a particularly good surf spot, although you’ll find the waters too rough for swimming. Secluded Colombier Beach, on the other hand, is tranquil and perfect for family snorkelling excursions. Head inland for cycling tours, horse riding, hiking and lively rum distillery tours.
This little island has a well-established reputation for exclusivity, and the best places to stay in St Barts fill up fast over the Christmas and New Year season. Do book your trip well in advance!
The Best Places to Stay in St Barts
For a Boutique Hideaway
- Pearl Beach is a 14-room boutique pad on the white sands of St. Jean. This small hotel prides itself on its sociable atmosphere, with live music evenings, exceptional cuisine, watersports and a refreshing swimming pool. A great choice for couples or friends on holiday together.
- Hotel Villa Marie features 18 delightful rooms and suites in a leafy setting overlooking Flamands Beach. There's a lovely beach club, splendid French cuisine and a laid-back intimate feel, with bohemian prints and plenty of natural materials. Some suites have space for families, but most are best for kicking back as a couple or with friends.
- Cheval Blanc St-Barth Isle de France oozes glamour, with a fabulous French feel in a beautiful location on Flamands Beach. Jacques Grange-designed spaces are superb, and the hotel attracts a well-heeled crowd eager to feast on fantastic Creole-infused fare with a glass or two of rosé. A luxurious choice for design-minded couples.
- Le Carl Gustaf has just 23 rooms and suites, set above charming Gustavia. Pick this place for an exquisite hideaway, complete with a decadent spa and delectable fare. A chic 5 star spot for couples or groups of friends. The harbour views are magnificent.
- Le Barthélemy prides itself on being one of the best resorts in the world, and makes for a dream honeymoon destination. Nestled on a crescent bay, this is an elegant property with a stylish Parisian vibe, gourmet fare and a world-class spa. Absolute bliss.
- Le Toiny has 22 villa suites, with one or two bedrooms, private pools, large terraces and panoramic views over Toiny Bay. If it's an exclusive romantic hideway that you're after, this ultra-luxurious hotel and beach club is the perfect choice.
- Hotel Christopher has 42 swish rooms and suites, with a focus on natural materials and clean, crisp lines. The three villas are great for families, but the feel is generally quite grown-up. Expect soothing spa days, long beach walks and sunset cocktails before savouring marvellous Mediterranean fare inspired by the French Riviera. A couples' favourite.
- Guanahani promises a colourful beachfront stay, with elegant rooms featuring mosaic bathrooms and cool, contemporary furniture. Set on a spit of land between two superb beaches, the resort has kids clubs for both younger and older children, as well as an enormous sea-facing swimming pool, two tennis courts and heaps of watersports. A small yet indulgent family-friendly resort.
- Le Sereno is a sleek beach hotel overlooking spectacular Grand Cul de Sac. Interiors are cool and contemporary, and multi-bedroom villas are well-suited to families or groups. The shallow waters of the bay are ideal for young families with little ones looking to splash around, or older children who can kayak, sail or paddle board. There's a dedicated kids' menu in the restaurant, and babysitting services for when you'd like an afternoon at the spa or a candlelit dinner.
- Eden Rock is a St Barts legend, with 37 gorgeous rooms, suites and villas for couples, families or groups of friends on a craggy promontory at Baie de Saint Jean. An ultraluxe choice for all ages, with a wonderful spread of child-friendly activities on land and sea, as well as gourmet cuisine and plenty of space for the whole family. The Eden Spa is a real treat for parents, too!
For an Eco Escape
- Manapany is a beautiful 5 star beach resort with an award-winning eco-focus. Think solar panels, electric vehicles, an organic vegetable garden and abundant orchard, nautral spa products and bamboo towels for guests. For couples, friends or families eager to experience an environmentally-conscious version of paradise.
For a Self-Catering Stay
- Salines Garden Cottages sit within lovely gardens, close to a great surfing beach. The five cottages have a traditional feel, with white-washed interiors and artefacts gathered on the owners' travels. Some have kitchenettes and a generous breakfast is served onsite. Charming, low-key and private.
- Les Ondines sur la Plage offers one- and two-bedroom suites complete with kitchenettes and private balconies, many of which face the ocean in Grand Cul-de-Sac. For couples, friends or families eager to stay somewhere small, with the potential independence of self-catering facilities. Very swish and modern.
- Les Ilets de la Plage has a tranquil, understated vibe, with 12 beachfront villas in St Jean. Pick this place for a laid-back trip as a family, couple or with friends — villas have up to three bedrooms, as well as shady terraces, hammocks and well-equipped kitchens. A very relaxed boutique base.
- Villa Lodge Quatre Epices fuses modern touches with a fun, Caribbean feel. Created by interior designer and owner Marie-Aimée Perrier, the rooms and suites are set just above Grand Cul de Sac Lagoon. A self-catering spot with striking views and plenty to do in the area.
- For further self catering options, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly into St Barts Airport (SBH) in the village of St Jean. Most international arrivals will need to transit in Guadeloupe, Antigua or St Martin. Once in St Barts, travel to your destination by bus or taxi, or speak to your hotel to arrange an airport pick up in advance.
- You'll find lots to explore by road on the island! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Balmy temperatures average between 25 - 28°C throughout the year, with the peak season lasting from November to mid-April. Be prepared for showers if you visit during the hurricane season (June to November). Hurricanes are most likely in September. To beat the crowds and make the most of great deals, time your trip for May or June.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in St Martin.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Caribbean.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in St Barts
Best Hotels in St Barts
Salines Garden Cottages St Barts 5 rooms from $156Beach Life - An ideal spot, just steps from some of the finest beaches in the world.Surfing - Excellent conditions for surfing and the owners will be able to point you in the right direction for the best waves.Sailing - Hire either sailing boats, catamarans or motorboats for a whole or half-day, with or without a skipper.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.
A charming hotel comprising individually styled cottages set amid a tranquil garden, close to the beach. Cottages have a traditional feel and are white washed throughout with solid four poster beds and bright artefacts from the owner's travels. A little haven made for completely unwinding. See More
Villa Lodge Quatre Epices Gustavia, St Barts 4 rooms from $389Groups - Chic villas have full kitchens, large terraces and a very relaxed moodViews - Overlooks the Grand Cul de Sac lagoonGreat walks - Along Grand Cul de Sac BeachDiving - Ouanalao Dive
Colourful villas on a hillside above Grand Cul de Sac beach. The villas are themed on Caribbean spices, and decor is modern with polished concrete, kitsch furnishings and full kitchens. Outdoor pool and sun terrace. Chic, cool and great value. See More
Les Ilets de la Plage Gustavia, St Barts 11 rooms from $360Total relaxation - Will appeal to those who love doing very little on vacation; the place to sit back and enjoy the view from a beachside hammockBeach Life - Stretch of golden palm-tree lined sand gives way to perfect turqouise water. Descends steps into the ocean for swimmingWeddings - Wonderful spot for a buy-out and relaxed beach-front wedding with select group of friends and familyViews - This section of the island is the place to see in the sunriseRecommended by - Frommers
Quaint beachfront resort with a laid-back old-world feel. Individual villas with rustic red roofs and sleek interiors are set amongst gardens or along the beach. Kitchens, homely living areas and tropical indoor-outdoor layouts are fab for those after private low-key stays. Quiet slice of paradise. See More
Hotel Villa Marie Saint-Barthélémy, St Barts 18 rooms from $445Total relaxation - Lovely accommodation, a serene location and spa facilities-what more could you ask for?Beach Life - The sea is just a 15 minute walk from the beach chic Hotel Villa MarieGreat walks - Wander around the garden or head along the coast at sunset and take in the gorgeous viewsOutstanding locationRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
The luxurious Hotel Villa Marie, Gustavia, St Barth offers boutique, independent villas and suites featuring bright colours and gorgeous views. Treat yourself to elegant French cuisine at the restaurant before retiring with a rum and cigar from the bar! An utterly spoiling coastal spot. See More
Les Ondines sur La Plage Gustavia, St Barts 8 rooms from $528Beach Life - Offering direct beach access on the island's famous white-sand Grand Cul-de-Sac beach; transparent water is ideal for swimmingHoneymoons - Quiet and private rooms are dominated by bay views and sea breezes; book Beachfront Suites for a memorable honeymoonViews - Beachfront Suites give out over 180 degree tropical island paraside tableau; it's all sea, sand and palmsSwimming Pool - Small tropical pool and sundeck surrounded by swaying palms offer shady alternative to the beach
Intimate all-suite hotel with a prime beachfront location. Contemporary open-air rooms have a homely feel and each overlooks the bay renowned for its crystalline waters. Enjoy on-site breakfast and full kitchens with dining options nearby. A laid-back spot for tranquil and grown-up beach breaks. See More
Hotel Christopher St Barts 42 rooms from $723Sailing - Hire a boat and sail all around the island - the most beautiful way to get to know the place!Great walks - Wander along the beach at sunset and marvel in the stunning viewsPrivate Hot Tub - Book an Ocean Spa Suite for a private outdoor hot tubOn the beach - In front of the hotel.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Hotel Christopher enjoys a superb location on the beach in Saint Barth, just a few miles from the airport. This 5* resort offers luxurious accommodation furnished in light hues and boasting plenty of natural light. Enjoy divine meals at their on site restaurants! A simply stunning coastal retreat. See More
Manapany Gustavia, St Barts 43 rooms from $566Eco break - Award- winning eco property that uses electric vehicles, solar panels, natural fibres and chemical-free cleaning productsBeach Life - Quieter and more wild than manicured tourist areas, Anse des Caves bay offers authentic tropical island beach experienceFamilies - Multi-room villas are ideal for families with older kids while babysitting and games room will keep everyone happyViews - Drink in views of sea and sand throughout the resort; almost every room, pools, garden and restaurant face the sea
Eco beach resort with deluxe Robinson Crusoe feel. Chic sea-facing rooms, suites and villas made with natural materials and boho decor offer idyllic private terraces. Two pools, a relaxed restaurant and complimentary yoga fill lazy sun-filled days. Green beach paradise for couples and families. See More
Pearl Beach Gustavia, St Barts 14 rooms from $569Romantic Break - Ocean views from beautifully appointed suites make this hotel a dream getaway for a romantic break in the CaribbeanFoodies - With catch of the day available at lunchtime from the beachside restaurant, this hotel is great for foodiesBeach Life - Set on the white sand beach of St Jean, this hotel is perfect for a relaxing island getawaySailing - Charter a private yacht from the island's famed marina and spend a romantic evening sailing into the sunsetRecommended by - Tablet
This boutique hotel is located on St. Jean Beach on St Barts. Tiled floors and a neutral palette make the guestrooms feel bright and airy; book a luxury suite to wake up to ocean views from your terrace. With a romantic restaurant and lush tropical gardens, this intimate hotel is ideal for couples. See More
Le Sereno Grand Cul De Sac, St Barts from $634Active Holiday - The beach is ideal for watersports and kitesurfing, and lessons for all can be arrangedIn/by a Nature Reserve - Located in a marine reserve which is a sanctuary for turtlesDesigner - The property has been designed by Christian LiaigreTennis - Lessons with a pro can be arrangedRecommended by - Fodors, Kiwi Collection, Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Stunning hotel on the beach at Grand Cul de Sac. Designer rooms have white-washed walls, polished wood furnishings and contemporary furniture. Outdoor pool, gardens, spa and direct beach access. Excellent restaurant and cool bar. Slick, exclusive and secluded. See More
Isle de France St Barts 39 rooms from $656Honeymoons - Superb spa, secluded garden or beach rooms, stunning white sand beach and low-key atmosphereGreat walks - Along pristine Saline BeachTennis - Courts on siteSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Tablet, Fodors
Sublime hotel on the beach. Elegant rooms are styled in white and blues with modern artworks and opulent bathrooms. Outdoor pool, gardens, tennis courts, gym and spa. Sophisticated French menus, chic bar. Nestled amongst banana plants and bougainvillea and white sands, ideal for honeymoons. See More
Le Toiny Gustavia, St Barts from $661Hideaway - Secluded location, private beach, quiet al fresco dining and peaceful atmosphere throughoutTennis - Play tennis at the Flamboyants club five minutes down the road at no extra cost. Equipment can be borrowedSurfing - At your disposal: a long board of 9"0', a 7"3', as well an SUP Paddle BoardFishing - Hotel organizes half and full day fishing tripRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Fodors
Colonial style villas overlooking the ocean. Contemporary rooms have dark wood floors, four poster beds, patio hammock and private pool. Gardens, gym and spa. Sublime French cuisine and romantic bar. Secluded, chic and boutique. See More
Guanahani Grand Cul de Sac, St Barts 31 rooms from $661Families - Excellent kids club options for both younger and older children, superb spa for adults and watersports for all familyRomantic Break - The suites have private pool, large terrace and private garden for ultimate Caribbean seclusionRestaurant - Indigo restaurant offers a wide range from Creole Cuisine to French gourmetSailing - Boat Cruise aboard the Donzi 35 ftRecommended by - Tablet, Fodors
Colourful beachfront hotel. The elegant rooms have creamy mosaic bathrooms, contemporary furniture and colonial style architecture. Enormous outdoor pool, beach access, spa and gym. Excellent seafood cuisine and breezy bar. Luxurious whilst remaining friendly and relaxed. See More
Le Barthelemy St Barts 46 rooms from $745Beach Life - The epitome of beach life with large swathes of white sand beach, coral reefs and surfing nearbyGreat walks - Experience the great wide open like never before when you set out on a renowned island hike alongside the St. Barths coastlineSurfing - Wind surfing tops the list for exciting things to do in St Barths, whether a beginner or a seasoned skilled surferSpa - Spa and wellness centre
A chic resort set on a stunning crescent-shaped beach, refined yet fresh, with a timeless elegance. Bright rooms have an air of understated luxury with plenty of light, natural materials and thoughtfully added technology. Feast on French inspired cuisine and spend days unwinding in the spa. See More
Eden Rock Eden Rock, St Barts 37 rooms from $1445Families - The villas have full kitchens and enormous living rooms, child-friendly menus and wonderful spread of watersports for all agesRomantic Break - Luxurious in-room spa treatments, opulent bathrooms, superb dining and romantic viewsFishing - Deep sea fishing trip to the famous “Marlin Boulevard”Great walks - Hike along St Jean beach which is right beside the hotelRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Fodors
Five-star resort overlooking coral reefs. Contemporary rooms and villas have mahogany furniture, opulent bathrooms and silk extras. Some with hot tub terraces or private pools. Outdoor pools, gardens, gym, spa. Superb continental menu, bar with a view. Luxurious, spoiling and very chic. See More
Le Carl Gustaf Gustavia, St Barts 23 rooms from $2059Local exploring - Located between the town and the coast in Gustavia, this hotel is perfectly placed for local island exploringBeach Life - Set a few minutes' walk from pristine Shell Beach, book this hotel for a relaxed and indulgent beach breakFamilies - Featuring family bungalows and a great Kid's ClubSights nearby - Visit nearby Fort Karl, a colonial-era coastal fortress with a surrounding walking trail, great for active guests
This five-star boutique hotel is nestled a stone's throw from Shell Beach in Gustavia. Guest suites are inspired by the natural landscape, featuring exotic prints and bamboo accents, plus sea view terraces. With a choice of three restaurants, there's hardly a need to leave this luxury base! See More