Search the best hotels in Epernay
Épernay is the true capital of Champagne. The drink and thus, the region. Here are some good reasons to visit, and some of the best places to stay in Épernay to enjoy them.
In the heart of the vineyards, ninety per cent of this town's population work in champagne production. Most of them at one of Épernay's thirty-seven Champagne houses, which range in size from world renowned brand Moët & Chandon to tiny producers hardly anyone outside of France has heard of.
Not To Miss
- Épernay is one of the wealthiest towns in the Champagne region. Moët & Chandon have pride of place on the Avenue de Champagne, a gorgeously grand street to wander along on which all the big labels have their 'houses'.
- Épernay is also famous for the vast underground cellars lying directly below its streets. There are approximately 110kms worth, holding 200 million bottles of fizz. There's a famous story that in 1950 one of the Mercier family decided to host a car rally in their cellar. And not a bottle of champagne was broken!
- If you venture out of Épernay you can be at many of the region's finest vineyards within half an hour. The Aÿ area, cradle of Pinot Noir - grape of choice for Bollinger, is just across the Marne River from Épernay.
- If you go west along the Marne you'll find the Pinot Meunier vineyards, favoured by Krug and Pol Roger. And if you leave Épernay and head South you'll be heading for Chardonnay territory on the hillsides of the Cote de Blancs.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Épernay range from a reasonably priced family run affair to a five star country house luxury just outside town.
For champagne tasting
- La Villa Eugene is one of the best places to stay in Épernay if you're looking for purist fizz and luxury. This charming house once belonged to the famous Mercier family and is located in the heart of town - which also means within walking distance from as many champagne houses as possible.
- L'Atelier de Degustation, located in the heart of Vertus, offers two smart rooms with original exposed wooden beams. You're in the ideal location to spend your days off exploring the surrounding vineyards, and the hotel will even help recommend some of their favourites.
- The homely and unfussy Parva Domus Guesthouse enjoys a wonderfully central location from which to visit all of Épernay's notorious champagne houses
- Surrounded by vineyards and parklands, the Chateau d'Etoges is our pick if you want somewhere fit for a King. The opulent bedrooms have four-poster beds, fireplaces and parquet flooring. The Orangery restaurant is excellent, as is the spa.
- Alternatively, try the Hotel Royal Champagne. Here you'll find antique filled rooms with gilded mirrors and creamy furnishings. There's also a superb restaurant and bar serving the best the region has to offer!
- One of the best places to stay in Épernay (or indeed all of France) for foodies is Les Berceaux. Patrick Michelon works his magic in the restaurant, or if you want something more relaxed there's Bistro No 7. The twenty-eight rooms are simple, comfortable and excellent value - with prices starting from €98 per night.
- Set in a 19th century mansion, Hotel Restaurant Les Avises belies its traditional facade to provide crisp, contemporary accommodation with stylish furnishings. You'll love meals served up at the restaurant which is run by a Michelin-starred chef!
- Set in a 19th century mansion in the centre of Épernay, Le Clos Raymi is a wonderful spot for romantic getaways. Their tastefully decorated rooms feature various art-deco furnishings, some with their own fireplaces, and there's a lovely garden terrace in which to relax with a drink.
- Located on the edge of a Nature Reserve, Chateau de Rilly is a top romantic bolthole. Offering chic accommodation, there's also a lovely restaurant and a spa in which to unwind after a long day out hiking.
- Set in an 18th century townhouse, Hôtel Jean Moët offers chic accommodation bang smack in the centre of town. With a champagne bar, sauna and spa, you'll be sure to leave feeling utterly rejuvenated.
- Domaine Sacret offers just 4 individually designed rooms, featuring plenty of warm hues, and with their own free standing baths. Come back after a day out and enjoy a game of billiards with a drink from the bar.
- Hostellerie La Briqueterie is set in a recently refurbished country house a few kilometres from Épernay. Their stylish, individually decorated rooms feature warm hues and smart furnishings, whilst there are also spa treatments available and a lovely restaurant.
Just Outside Town
- Located in Dizy, Villa Louis Victor is a comfortable B&B offering five chic rooms with neutral tones and soft furnishings. Ideally located to visit the many surrounding vineyards.
- Situated in Vertus, Le Clos Margot features tasteful minimalist accommodation whilst the owner even produces his own champagne - which guests are obviously welcome to taste! Pets are also allowed upon request, perfect if you fancy heading off on long walks with the family dog.
- Les Bulles Dorees is a 4-room B&B located in Rilly-la-Montagne. Offering chic and tasteful accommodation, there's also a lovely garden in which to unwind with a glass of local wine or champagne.
For An Apartment Or Villa
If you've decided that you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- Épernay's obviously nicest in the summer, with the average temperature rising to 20°C in July. This however is peak tourist season, so for a quieter and potentially cheaper alternative consider coming in September or October.
- Paris's Charles de Gaulle, served by a wide range of domestic and international destinations, is the nearest airport to fly into.
- From here, hop on the train to Épernay - a journey which should take just over an hour.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Epernay
Villa Louis Victor Epernay 5 rooms from $89
A comfortable B&B in Dizy, near Epernay. The modern and simple rooms boast soft furnishings and tasteful decorations. In the heart of the Champagne region, the B&B is near many famous houses such as Moët et Chandon and De Castellane. An ideal resting place for a bubbly tour!Value chic - A very reasonably priced hotel offering tasteful decor, neutral tones and a hearty breakfast in the popular Champagne region.Sights nearby - Visit the Castellane Tower, less than two miles away.
Les Berceaux Epernay 28 rooms from $106
Family run hotel in Epernay, the heart of the Champagne region. The world's most famous champagne houses in the Avenue de Champagne are close by. Les Berceaux is all about the cuisine with two restaurants - the Michelin starred Michelon and the Bistrot 7.Restaurant - Hotel owner and chef Patrick Michelon and his dedicated team prepare an unforgettable menuRestaurant with rooms - The emphasis of this charming hotel is on the two restuarantsGood wine list - Superb wine list with champagne by the glass to sampleOwner managed
Chateau d'Etoges Étoges, Champagne 28 rooms from $110
A stately chateau surrounded by vineyards and parklands. Opulent bedrooms have four poster beds, fireplaces, parquet floors, and high ceilings. An excellent spa and wellness centre and Orangery restaurant. Fit for a King.Romantic BreakSights nearby - Good location for visits to the Champagne housesGreat walks - Lots of local hiking trailsRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Sawdays
Le Clos Raymi Epernay 7 rooms from $133
Le Clos Raymi is set in a 19th century mansion in the centre of Épernay. Its rooms are decorated in a quirky style with 1930s art-deco furnishings, and some even come with an ornamental fireplace. Be sure to sit out in their garden terrace and enjoy the sun! A friendly and unfussy stay.Romantic Break - Quiet accomodation in a beautiful building and plenty of nearby Champagne Houses-perfect for a romantic getawayLocal exploring - Le Clos Raymi's central location in Épernay makes it an ideal spot for getting to know Champagne's capitalSights nearby - The Georges Cartier, Pol Roger and Moët et Chandon Champagne Houses are right around the corner!Great walks - There are plenty of hiking trails around Épernay for you to exploreRecommended by - Michelin Travel
La Chevalée Epernay (Hautvillers) 4 rooms from $139
A delightful guesthouse and family-run winery dating back to the 18th-century with breathtaking views of the iconic Champagne vineyards. All four rooms are spacious with a seating area and traditional wooden ceilings. On arrival, guests are presented with the property's own champagne Pierre Fedyk.Local exploring - Situated in Hautvilliers, the birthplace of Dom Pérignon an ideal place to explore the history of champagneRomantic Break - Savour the finest champagne with your loved one in this idyllic settingSwimming Pool - Outdoor swimming pool (completed by May 2019)Outstanding location
Bubble 8 Epernay (Épernay) 4 rooms from $141
Self-catering and studio apartments in a traditional pale stone 19th-century townhouse in the centre of the grand town of Epernay. Apartments are tastefully decorated in a contemporary style and come fully-equipped with modern amenities. A couple of units have a seating area and an outdoor terrace.Romantic Break - These chic apartments just 250m from the start of the Champagne Road are perfect for a romantic getawayLocal exploring - Explore Epernay a town of traditional townhouses and banksSights nearby - Ideally located just 300 m from Moët et Chandon House - Tour the famous Champagne vaults which are over 200 years oldGreat walks - Walk the champagne trail and discover the beautiful nature complementing the popular sparkling wineRecommended by - Sawdays
Hôtel Jean Moët Epernay 12 rooms from $156
Perfect for immersing yourself in the opulent champagne culture of Epernay. A beautiful 18th century townhouse with rooms wonderfully furnished in the mode of Louis XV. Ideally placed to explore the magnificent champagne cellars of Epernay and the surrounding vineyards.Romantic Break - A chic hotel in the glorious town of Épernay, boasting suave suites, a Champagne bar, spa and sauna.Local exploring - A perfect base for explore the Champagne capital of the world in a grown up and sophisticated style.Great walks - The picturesque countryside, made up of rolling vineyards, makes for excellent walking.Sights nearby - Close to the Avenue de Champagne, where world famous champagnes cellars are situated.
La Villa Eugene Epernay 15 rooms from $166
A highly sophisticated and very luxurious city spot that once belonged to the Mercier family. Seamless bedrooms and suites decorated in chic creams with parquet floors and fireplaces. An elegant conservatory bar looks onto a pool and the gardens.City StyleSights nearby - Explore all the champagne housesSwimming Pool - Outdoor heated poolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Sawdays
Champagne Andre Bergere Epernay 5 rooms from $191
A charming B&B comprising of a handful of elegant rooms and smart apartments. Interiors are fresh and traditional with soft hues, antiques and pale wooden floors. Ideally located within walking distance of some of the region's most famed Champagne producers.Local exploring - Well placed for visiting the region's famed Champagne producers.Full of characterTraditional
Parva Domus Guesthouse Epernay 5 rooms from $178
A charming 18th century townhouse, in the Champagne capital. The five comfortable and tastefully decorated rooms exude a homely warm feeling. Near the centre of Epernay, it's perfect for exploring the city's world celebrated champagne cellars including Mercier, Moët & Chandon and Dom Pérignon.Local exploring - A charming base for exploring the vibrant champagne region, your hosts will happily fill you in on the towns history.Hideaway - A quaint and cosy B&B, with a magical atmosphere from the free flûte on arrival to breakfast in the elegant rooms.Great walks - Wander around this picturesque town, or take a tour of the maze of cellars under the guesthouse.Local markets - The towns weekly market is the perfect place to pick up some of the fruits of the local area.
Le Clos des Armoiries Epernay (Champagne) 2 rooms from $195
This idyllic bed and breakfast, with rustic interior design, is set in the heart of the Champagne region. The light and airy rooms boast exposed beams, luxurious beds and breathtaking views, while the garden and patio offer quiet spaces to relax. A perfect escape to the country.Country Escape - Set amongst the rolling fields of the Champagne region, this B&B is highly recommended for a country escapeBack to Nature - Nestled in the heart of the Champagne region, this is a perfect back-to-nature getawaySights nearby - Steep yourself in local history by visiting one of the many ancient vineyards nearbyGreat walks - Enjoy great walks in the local village, a stone's throw from the B&B
Hostellerie La Briqueterie Epernay 40 rooms from $233
Recently renovated country house hotel on a vineyard just a stone's throw from Epernay. Luxurious rooms are indivdually designed with interesting fabrics and bold wallpapers. Sit out on the terrace and enjoy views over gardens, fountains and pool, or head in for fabulously pampering spa treatments.Wine tasting - Explore the oldest and most prestigious Champagne houses 4km away in EpernayMeeting RoomSwimming Pool - Heated, indoorOpulentRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Michelin Travel
Hotel Restaurant Les Avises Epernay (Champagne) 10 rooms from $278
Located in Champagne, France's famous wine region, plus a famous restaurant headed by Michelin star awarded chef Rossillon, this property is a must for foodies. The chateau is 19th century with modern interiors. Rooms feature cow skin rugs, retro furnishings, original art and expansive bathrooms.Wine tasting - There is no better place to sample the golden, bubbly delights of the Champagne region!Sailing - Sailing on the Lac de Villegusien is a wonderful way to spend an afternoon.Sights nearby - Reims Catherdral and the Abbey of Saint Remi not to be missed.Great walks - Through the Montagne De Reims Regional Nature Park.
Royal Champagne Hotel & Spa Epernay 47 rooms from $578
This five-star hotel overlooks the vineyards of the Champagne region. Reopening after a full renovation, the hotel's guestrooms are elegant and luxurious with natural accents; the best suites offer a terrace with pretty views. Book into the spa before a Michelin-starred dinner. An exclusive retreat.Spa breaks - Take advantage of the hotel's newly inaugurated spa with first-class facilities, and book this hotel for your next spa breakRomantic Break - Views of the beautiful French countryside's rolling hills from this hotel make it a great choice for a romantic getawayFoodies - Foodies will love the hotel's Michelin-starred, fine dining restaurant, with its focus on fresh, seasonal foodSights nearby - Enquire at the hotel about car rental and explore the beautiful nearby towns of Provins and EpernayRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Michelin Travel