Search the best hotels in Chania
Chania's harbour is magnificent. It's easy to see why the Venetians and Turks built their great and beautiful cities here. But it's not just the harbour or the best places to stay in Chania that'll impress you - looking westwards from Chania's harbour you'll see mile upon mile of beautiful, sandy beach, dotted here and there with resort facilities.
Chania's Old Town spreads out from the harbour, along a maze of narrow alleys squeezing between houses. The harbour area has been built and rebuilt so many times it's a fascinating mish-mash of architectural styles and eras, but together the impression is charming.
What not to Miss
- In addition to the beautiful Old Town, Chania also has an impressive Archaeological Museum, a Naval Museum and several other museums. And loads of interesting churches. And an olive press.
- The Venetian port is one of the local highlights and one of the most picturesque ports in the country. These days the main activity here is people frequenting the little cafes, bars and restaurants, but don't be too worried this is a tourist trap, it's also a popular spot for locals, and it's a lovely place to stroll around in the evening.
- Chania has a lively artisans quarter - get your Cretan rugs and blankets, jewellery, art and ceramics at Carmela, your leather on the Leather Street: Odhós Skrídhlof, and your food from the Public Market. And Chania is also known for having some of the best restaurants on Crete.
- Chania is the ideal base if you want to visit Polyrinia, one of the most fortified towns in ancient Greece. It's also home to a historic market and impressive Archaeological Museum.
- Chania is also a popular destination for trekkers and walkers because it's the closest large town to Samaria Gorge.
- If you're here for the beaches make sure you include Golden Beach on your list, it's often been voted one of the best in Chania, with the golden sands and clear, shallow waters that make for great family beaches
Our pick of the best places to stay in Chania are a charming collection of boutique style properties, mainly in the Old Town and most of which won't break the bank.
For the history
- La Maison Ottomane is a beautifully restored Venetian mansion with just three bedrooms. All are splendid. You’re just 100metres from the harbour but it still feels like a cocoon of privacy.
- The Palazzo Duca is an historic building housing a hotel with seven modern rooms. It’s close to the harbour on a quiet, car-free street, and there’s excellent service and complimentary breakfasts.
- History buffs may find one of the best places to stay in Chania is Metohi Kindelis, an antique Venetian farm converted into manor-house-hotel.
- Mama Nena is a charming, four room B&B in a great location. As well as wooden floors and exposed oak beams the rooms have harbour views. You’re right in amongst everything.
For the beaches
- The Minoa Palace Resort and Spa is just up the beautiful beach from town. More than comfortable, this hotel is boxy, modern and colourful, and built around a huge pool - which you may never use, as the beach is so close by and so lovely.
- If you’re an adults only party you might consider Domes Noruz Chania, which is a mid-sized, five star hotel right on the coast. The decor and flavours are all very Mediterranean.
For a boutique break
- The Monastery Boutique Hotel is a, you guessed it, converted monastery. There are just six rooms arranged around the courtyard, but they’re surprisingly modern, as well as monastically minimalist.
- The Elia Zampeliou Boutique Hotel is an eight room hotel right on the waterfront with slick, modern decor and the kind of professional service you’d expect from a much larger and more luxurious hotel.
- If you’re not fussed on Cretan white and blue then Ontas Fatma Hanoum is for you, a six room bohemian hotel with an ice-cream palate, a fantastic roof terrace and a colourful bar. It’s hip and the food is excellent.
- The nine room Ionas Boutique Hotel is tucked away on a pedestrianised street just five minutes from the harbour. Rooms range from the comfortable to the luxurious.
- Also a stone’s throw from the harbour, the Alcanea Boutique Hotel has superb harbour views, a trendy bar and eight chic rooms. They also do a sumptuous breakfast.
Most Romantic Hotels in Chania
- If you're looking for somewhere really special to stay consider 17th Century Venetian mansion, Casa Delfino. Grand in the great Venetian traditions, but also opulent by modern ones, this 24 room townhouse is right in the heart of the Old Town.
- The Vilelmine Hotel occupies a graceful, 19th century townhouse overlooking a palm-lined square and Chania’s cathedral. Some of the ten rooms have four-poster beds and Juliet balconies. It’s also very good value.
- The Halepa Hotel is ideal for those only staying a short while as it’s close to the airport, and a great base for exploring Western Crete. There are 49 beautiful rooms with period details, like shiny silks and patterned wallpapers.
Chania on a Budget
- Porto Antico is an 11 room waterfront hotel within walking distance from the beach. Families and even dogs are very welcome, and rooms start from around £60 per night.
- If you want friendly and comfortable in the heart of town, Nostos is a good bet. Rooms are studio style, but some have galleries or balconies looking out onto the harbour. And all starting from less than £90 per night.
- Splanzia Hotel is more traditional, and almost as affordable, with lots of rustic charm. There's a cosy bar and plenty of nice features in the rooms, and the courtyard is lovely. If you're looking for value chic, this is definitely one of the best places to stay in Chania.
Chania with your Family
- The choice of two of four bed suites - all which have mini kitchens, make the Pandora Suites ideal for families. Plus the views from the roof terrace are unforgettable. Built in the 1870s this unique property is bright, light and breezy with plenty of traditional charm.
- The Ambassador’s Residence offers a blend of style and comfort in its nine rooms and suites. Originally a 19th century mansion, this building has been refurbished to accommodate those with mobility issues. The decor is rustic meets modern with exposed stone and espresso machines.
For a self-catering Apartment or private Villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner, Booking.com.
- Chania Airport is about 14kms out of town in the Akrotiri region. Flights here are mostly domestic, though there are a good range of European charter flights during the summer months.
- There are daily ferries to Chania from Piraeus and during the peak summer months there are both day and night sailings.
- If you want to hire a car - which we strongly advise if you’re staying in Chania and you want to see more of Crete - we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
- The peak season for visiting Chania is between April and October, but the best times are probably late spring/early summer or early autumn - it’ll be a bit quieter then and the weather won’t be as scorching as it can be mid-summer!
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Chania for you?
Best Hotels in Chania
Porto Antico Chania (Crete) 11 rooms from $74Families - Family suites and even the dog is allowed - plus you're walking distance from the beachValue chic - Excellent value for such facilities -Views - Overlooking the Venetian harbour with romantic backstreets.Local markets - The Old Town's bustling market are a must
Built in 1659 Porto Antico is a stay amidst history. Location, service and price are this waterfront hotel's big selling points. For those looking for a short break in the heart of Chania, or a base for exploring, it offers an excellent compromise between style and affordability. See More
Vilelmine Hotel Chania (Crete) 10 rooms from $81Local exploring - Walking distance from Chania's harbour, shops and cafes, and the beachValue chic - Utterly charming accommodation at an inviting priceViews - On the north side overlook the metropolitan town square and the south side overlook the colourful Betolo st.Local markets - Chania's myriad of market stalls, shops and cafes are on your doorstep
Gracious 19th century townhouse overlooking a palm-lined square and Chania's grand Panagia Trimartiri cathedral. Providing whimsical interiors - four-poster beds and juliette balconies - for visiting couples as well as practical family suites. Excellent value and a great location. See More
Halepa Hotel Chania 49 rooms from $88Value chic - Excellent value for period charmLocal markets - The charming market town of Chania is on your doorstepSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Secure parking and an easy-to-find location on the outskirts of Chania make Halepa Hotel ideal for couples looking for a night or two close to the airport, or a base for exploring western Crete by car. Period rooms include shiny silks and patterned wallpaper; some include separate living areas. See More
Palazzo Duca Chania 7 rooms from $83Local exploring - With its central location in the heart of Chania's Venetian Old town, it is perfect for exploring the area.Views - Lovely views over the old harbour from the roof terrace and balconiesPrivate Hot Tub - The superior suite boasts a terrace with hot tubSights nearby - Situated in the heart of Chania's Old Town
Palazzo Duca appeals to couples or singles looking for a mix of history and modern facilities, in a historic building on a quiet, car-free street near the old harbour. Service – including a permanently staffed reception & room service breakfast at no charge – is a cut above what might be expected. See More
Ionas Boutique Hotel Chania (Crete) 9 rooms from $97Local exploring - Perfectly located for exloring Chania's Old Town. 100 yrds from the harbour.Local markets - Chania's thriving market stalls are within walking distanceFull of character - Transport yourself to ages past.Traditional
Tucked away on a pedestrian square full of potted shrubs and flowering trees, five minutes walk from Chania's Venetian harbour, Ionas Boutique Hotel suits couples and single visitors looking for a quiet haven from which to explore the old town. Rooms range from comfortable to luxurious. Good value. See More
Alcanea Boutique Hotel Chania (Crete) 8 rooms from $100Sights nearby - Firkas Fortress and Chania Old Venetian Harbour are within walking distance.Sailing - Embark on one of Captain Nick's glass bottom boatsGreat walks - Just a 300m stroll to Nea Chora beachViews - All rooms have harbour views
It's all about attention to detail at Alcanea. Literally a stone's throw from the harbour, rooms enjoy superb views. Café society is on your doorstep, so hip couples will love it plus there's a trendy bar and sumptuous local breakfast on offer. Chic interiors for the trendy traveller. See More
Nostos Hotel Chania (Crete) 12 rooms from $92Local exploring - Ideally located for exploring the historic old town, full of historic buildings, food markets and jewllery shops.Sights nearby - The stunning Venetian harbour and lighthouse can be seen from the terrace and is a short walking distance.Local markets - Just a few minutes walk from the main markets and leather shops of the old town.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Splanzia Hotel Chania 8 rooms from $98Value chic - A cool vibe at a great priceSights nearby - Byzantine monasteries of Ayia Triada.Great walks - Samaria gorge.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - I Escape
Avra City Hotel Chania (Crete) 22 rooms from $100City Style - Located in the heart of Chania in a landmark building, this hotel has plenty of city styleRomantic Break - Couples love the luxurious hotel beds and the cosy bar; great room service is also a plusHideaway - With a serene interior patio and cosy bar, this hotel is a perfect city hideawaySights nearby - Visit the famous Firkas fortress and the Arabian lighthouse, two of Chania's most famous sights
This modern hotel combines contemporary design with Art Deco elegance. Located in the heart of Chania, the best suites offer private balconies and marble bathrooms. Expect high-quality service; enjoy a coffee on the quiet interior patio or relax with a drink at the cosy bar. A chic city bolt-hole. See More
Pandora Suites Chania (Crete) 14 rooms from $100Local exploring - Situated right in the old town, within easy walking distance of the port and the main shopping and eating spots.Groups - These spacious and charming self catering apartments, of 2-4 beds, are ideal for groups travelling together.Great walks - Wander the streets of Chania’s Old Town, full of hidden treasures and charming spots.Sights nearby - Check out the historic Venetian Harbour and its famed lighthouse.
This townhouse turned boutique self-catering option has fabulous harbour views from the pretty roof terrace. The rooms are light and breezy, and generous with two or four beds. Enjoy the luxury of a mini kitchen for self-catering. Great spot for local exploring, beach and nightlife. Family friendly! See More
Serenissima Boutique Hotel Chania 731 31 7 rooms from $120Local exploring - Close to beaches and lovely coastline walks, so plenty of sea-exploring to do and Chania itself is a gorgeous old townSights nearby - The Old Town is worth exploring, including a Venetian harbour and historic lighthouse; or go for a stroll in the Botanic GardensRomantic - Good for couples.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A boutique hotel nestled down a quaint cobbled street in Chania's Old Town. True to its Venetian history, the decor is simple yet elegant, but with modern amenities. The beach is a short stroll away, with numerous others dotted along the coast- and the outstanding cuisine is bound to impress! See More
Ontas Fatma Hanoum Chania (Crete) 6 rooms from $140Local exploring - Set back just two streets from the harbour it is perfectly situated for exploring Chania's Old TownSights nearby - Etz Hayyim Synagogue is just a few steps awaySailing - Glass bottom boats are available to charterGreat walks - Along the popular Golden Beach
It's all about the vibe at Ontas Fatma Hanoum. No cliché blue and white paint here, but an ice-cream palette that wouldn't look out of place in Havana or Marrakech. Bohemian hipsters feel right at home. The roof terrace and colourful bar are a real draw - as is the food! A unique little find. See More
Mama Nena Chania 4 rooms from $122Sights nearby - Explore Chania's charming old townLocal markets - Explore the local craft shopsViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - I Escape
Mama Nena is a charming bed and breakfast with three rooms, each on different floors with exposed oak beams, wooden floors and views of the harbour. Breakfasts are served in the cool blue kitchen dining room. The hosts have lots of local knowledge and there is plenty to do from the doorstep. See More
Elia Zampeliou Boutique Hotel Chania (Crete) 8 rooms from $176Romantic Break - Chic rooms, rooms with views and best of all - grown ups only!Views - Views of the Old Harbour and Old Town from some of the bedrooms.Restrictions on children - Children cannot be accommodated at this hotelGreat walks - Along the harbour and Old Town
Small waterfront hotel that stands out from the Chania old town crowd by virtue of slick modern décor, up-to-the minute facilities and a level of professional service that you'd expect from a larger luxury hotel. Ideal for couples after a romantic getaway (children are not accommodated). See More
Monastery Boutique Hotel Chania (Crete) 6 rooms from $179Local exploring - Chania Town is on your doorstepDiving - Glass-bottom boat and snorkeling cruises from Chania harbour are a great activityGreat walks - Chania Old Town and its harbour are within viewLocal markets - Chania's markets are within a short walk
The ancient arches and stone walls of this former monastery's entrance courtyard belie the slick, minimalist public spaces and bedrooms within. With its own off-street parking (rare in Chania's old town), it makes a fabulous base for explorers. A charming courtyard garden completes the package. See More
Domes Noruz Chania Chania (Agioi Apostoloi) 83 rooms from $156Great walks - Head off hiking around the stunning Samaria GorgeRestrictions on children - Adult-onlySeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Secluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Domes Noruz Chania boasts a spectacular location on the coast of Crete. This 5* property offers boutique accommodation decorated in a typically Mediterranean fashion and with either a private plunge pool or hot tub. Fantastic food served up and two bars for you to try out. A simply wondrous stay! See More
La Maison Ottomane Chania (Crete) 3 rooms from $167Sights nearby - 100yrds to the scenic Venetian Harbour.Sailing - Organise a private boat tourGreat walks - Botanical GardensFishing - Fishing trips
Ambassador's Residence Chania (Crete) 9 rooms from $241Local exploring - You won't find a better location - overlooking Chania's harbour and stumbling distance from its bars and cafesSights nearby - Venetian harbour & Mosque of Kioutsouk HassanLocal markets - Chania's Saturday market is a thriving affairSailing - Charter a private boat for a romantic dinner
A blend of serious style with accessibility for guests with mobility issues - unusual in Chania. Housed in a 19th century mansion, Ambassador's Residence is an amalgamation of old and new - rustic style meets modern amenities with exposed stone and espresso machines. Boasts prime harbour views. See More
Casa Delfino Chania (Crete) 24 rooms from $210Honeymoons - The honeymoon suite oozes romance with sumptuous linens, roof terrace boasting panoramic views of the harbour and a jacuzzi tub.Total relaxation - A pampering massage, followed by a steam in the Hammam are sure to work off all that sight seeing stress.Great walks - The harbour is a fantastic spot for an evening stroll, full of activity all the way down to the lighthouse.Local markets - Chania has plenty to offer with tonnes of leather and jewellery shops plus its famed covered food market.Recommended by - I Escape
Beautifully restored 17th Century Chania mansion, in the heart of town. Venetian style grandeur, with contemporary opulence in all the unique 22 suites. Intimate and luxurious with fantastic views and a great spa. Walking distance to Chania's best restaurants and main attractions. A charming haven. See More
Metohi Kindelis Chania (Crete) 3 rooms from $211Back to Nature - Situated in a secluded walled garden, brimming with flowers, palms and euclyptus trees and surrounded by lush organic orchards.Romantic Break - A wonderfully peaceful couples hideaway, with high walls surrounding private gardens with pool and al fresco dining, heaven!Cooking classes - Join the Tastes of Crete cooking class, on Tuesday and Saturday mornings, followed by a lavish wine filled lunch.Sights nearby - Explore Chania, with its lovely Venetian-era fishing harbour ringed with cafes and tavernas.Recommended by - I Escape
Beautiful terracotta farmhouse dating from 1650, with central courtyard and lush gardens. Stunning self catering apartments marry old and new with admirable elegance. Fridges are daily stocked with wonderful organic produce from the hotels orchards. Privacy, style and a truly homely feel. See More
Youphoria Villas Chania (Kissamos 731 36) from $378Local exploring - These relaxing, self-catering villas are a great base for exploring the gorgeous coastline and the beautiful mountainsSights nearby - Head to Knossos Palace, the ancient city of Crete and the largest archaeological site on the islandSwimming Pool - Each villa has a private poolSailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - I Escape
Sleek self-catering villas on the coast, each with a private pool and al fresco dining area with fantastic ocean views. Stylish open-plan interiors have chic furniture and are well-equipped, while rooms are fresh and minimal in aesthetic with comfy beds and fine linens. Great for couples and groups. See More