Search the best hotels in Ios
Nestled halfway between Naxos and Santoríni, picture-perfect Ios has a reputation as a hedonistic party island. Beyond the bars and clubs, however, this little Cycladic gem brims with storybook Greek charm, and is ideal for laid-back explorers looking to discover the old hilltop towns, traditional honey boxes and winding trails of the interior. Wonderful for families as well as couples, Ios features a wide array of accommodation options, from simple self-catering apartments to luxurious hotels hidden within expansive grounds. Our pick of the best places to stay in Ios includes superb beach resorts with stacks of family-friendly activities, as well as romantic retreats with private plunge pools and jaw-dropping views.
Boasting the iconic whitewashed buildings and sparkling turquoise seas which have long attracted travellers to the Cyclades, Ios is a hugely appealing island to discover on foot or by road. Just 11 miles long and 6 miles wide, this pint-sized haven is filled with historic sites and golden beaches. Stroll the narrow streets of Chora, the island’s main town, to admire houses clad in bright bougainvillea, pop into little shops and feast on glorious Greek fare in family-owned eateries. Ios’ biggest cultural attraction is undoubtedly Homer’s Tomb, set on a hillside with panoramic views of the Aegean — not to be missed. Delve into the island’s past at the Archaeological Museum or at the ancient settlement of Skarkos, before catching a show at the Odysseas Elytis Theatre.
Bask in the sunshine on Mylopotas Beach — a hugely popular spot lined with buzzing bars and restaurants — or head further afield to the more secluded beaches of Manganari or Aghia Theodoti. There’s sailing, windsurfing, kayaking and snorkelling to try out on the glittering Aegean waters, as well as hiking and mountain biking to be done along the many trails which criss-cross the island.
Whether you’re dreaming of an opulent honeymoon with spectacular sea views, a fun-filled family holiday or an active island escape without the crowds — Ios has it all. The best places to stay in Ios promise the optimum blend of adventure and tranquility, perfect for an island holiday to remember.
The Best Places to Stay in Ios
For great value
- Levantes is a lovely hotel with all-white, contemporary interiors. Rooms are spacious and airy, with family-friendly options. There are striking views of Mylopotas Beach from the pool, and a great selection of restaurants within walking distance. Well-placed for exploring the island, this is a stylish base at a very reasonable price!
For a beach resort
- Calilo is nestled within 1000 acres of beautiful grounds on the eastern side of the island. This ultra-luxuruious hideaway offers opulent marble suites with up to three bedrooms, ideal for honeymooners in search of romantic seclusion, or families and groups of friends keen to book a room with a view —and a private pool. The private beach access is a highlight, as are the excellent resort faciliites. Swish and very elegant
- Dionysos Seaside Resort features chic rooms and suites on a picturesque stretch of beach with a whole host of activities to try on both land and water. Book a Family Suite if travelling with little ones, who will adore the child-friendly pool, the games room and the many water sports. Grown-ups can unwind with a massage after diving or sailing, and head to Almyra By the Sea for cocktails and sensational seafood on the beach. A lavish family-friendly resort.
For Boutique Bliss
- Agalia Luxury Suites offers 16 suites — some of which have multiple bedrooms — close to Ios' largest town. Hip, bright and enjoying spellbinding views of the Aegean, this is a fun boutique choice for couples or families eager for a more intimate stay. Some of the suites have private plunge pools, the vibe is funky and youthful, with rustic terrace roofs and quirky mosaics, and the restaurant-bar has a lively buzz.
For an apartment or holiday cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Naxos or Santoríni, and hop aboard the ferry to Ios. There are daily ferries from Naxos, and twice-daily ferries from Santoríni. You can also travel to Ios from other nearby islands, or from Athens — but the journey is much longer! Take a taxi from the ferry terminal to your hotel.
- Having your own freedom to explore the island is wonderful. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel between April and October for warm weather and lots of sunshine. This is peak season, so book well in advance or travel outside the school holidays to avoid the crowds!
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Santoríni.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Cyclades.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Ios
Best Hotels in Ios
Levantes Milopotas, Ios 24 rooms from $89Value chic - With standard doubles from as little as €68 per night including breakfast, it's superb value for money.Romantic Break - With stylish accommodation, stunning views and an off the beaten track island, it's romantic bliss.Views - Great views from hotelSights nearby - Just 10 minutes from the port of Ios
An all white hotel with classically elegant interiors scattered with attractive art. Spacious rooms and suites have white washed walls, lots of character, some with private pools, and balconies. Spectacular views out to sea and walking distance to restaurants. Romantic and family friendly. See More
Dionysos Seaside Resort Ios 43 rooms from $141Weddings - An experienced in-house wedding team are able to provide catering, accomodation and more... stunning for a beachside weddingFamilies - Family suites, a children's pool, local exploration and hotel entertainment - perfect for a family holidayActive Holiday - Offering personal training, tennis coaching and yoga - all in a beautiful natural settingFoodies - Almyra By The Sea restaurant and beachside bar provide excellent food and drink
A stylish seaside resort on the picturesque island of Ios. Rooms have chic contemporary design and lovely garden or sea views. Located on a pretty stretch of beach and with an abundance of activities, ranging from watersports to yoga, as well as a vibrant beachside bar. The perfect coastal escape. See More
Agalia Luxury Suites Chora, Ios 16 rooms from $198Families - With family suites available plus an outdoor pool that kids will love, choose this hotel for your next summer family holidayRomantic Break - Choose a luxury suite at this cosy bolt-hole for an indulgent romantic getaway, complete with a private poolBeach Life - Set on the coast on the beautiful Greek island of Ios, book this hotel for your next seaside getawaySights nearby - Visit Paleokastro Castle in eastern Ios, located on the top of the island's highest hill, up a winding, stone-paved roadRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
This intimate luxury hotel overlooks the town of Chora and the picturesque port on the island of Ios. Boutique, open-plan suites have opulent marble floors and Cycladic artwork, and several are adapted for families. Soak in sea views from the hotel pool before heading down to the beach. See More
Calilo Manganari, Ios 30 rooms from $410Hideaway - Located on a 1000-acre private estate away from the busier Greek islands like Mykonos, this hotel makes a dream hideaway holidayFamilies - Larger suites at this hotel are perfect for families, with multiple bedrooms and a private pool with a waterfall featureBeach Life - Set overlooking Papas Beach on the idyllic Greek island of Ios, book this hotel for your next luxury seaside breakSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
This hotel offers five-star accommodation on the coastline of the Greek island of Ios. Set within 1000-acre grounds, the dramatic marble suites offer complete privacy, leading onto a private terrace and pool. Head down to the hotel's exclusive area on Kalamos Beach for total relaxation. See More