- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Great Hotels near the Colosseum
The Colosseum is a well-known amphitheatre in the centre of Rome - in the aptly named Colosseo district, which is a fantastic place to base your stay. There are a number of great hotels near the Colosseum, and our Gurus have sifted through them for you.
Completed in 80 AD, the Colosseum is approaching 2,000 years of age; it is considered a wonder of the world and a testament to Roman engineering and architecture. The Roman Forum, where the Roman Empire made decisions for hundreds of years, is also located in the Colosseo district. At one point in time in that place, senators argued points that have helped shaped the modern face of society. Thanks to the hotels strategically situated around the area, waking up at one of our great hotels near the Colosseum means you can enjoy this sight before breakfast, when it’s at its most peaceful.
Great Hotels near the Colosseum
For a City Break
- The Capo d'Africa is a sleek, retro, mid-sized hotel with a gorgeous roof terrace overlooking the Colosseum and the bell tower, a gym, bar and a restaurant which serves great pasta.
- Along the same vein is Forty Seven, a contemporary boutique hotel, also with a fantastic roof terrace restaurant, and plush bedrooms, some with private terraces.
- Or you might try the Locanda Cairoli, a chic, comfortable hotel with a charming garden and the air of a private home.
For a Special Occasion
- Palazzo Manfredi has just 16 luxurious rooms, suites and apartments, many of which actually have views onto the Colosseum and Forum, as well as an excellent rooftop restaurant with amazing views.
- Or you might try the Hotel Celio. It is directly opposite the Colosseum and has 19 exquisite rooms, with features like mosaic floors, frescoes, trompe-l'œil paintings and all the mod, cons..
For Great Value
- Hotel de Monti is a bright, modern B&B with seven comfortable rooms well located between the main train station and the Colosseum, with a room rate which starts from as little as €66 per night.
For Historic Pleasures
- The Teatro di Pompeo is right on the site of Pompey’s Theatre, steps from where Caesar met his end, and while the current building dates from the 16th Century, it’s still historic as well as simple and friendly.
- The Inn at The Roman Forum is a beautiful guesthouse with 14 charmingly decorated bedrooms, suites and family rooms and a lovely rooftop terrace, positioned right between the Colosseum and the Roman Forum.
- The San Anselmo offers 34 peaceful rooms in the smart, hilltop Aventine district. The decor is Baroque and quite something.
If you haven’t found your idea of the best place to stay in Rome on our Guru’s list of great hotels near the Colosseum, then you could:
- expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Rome,
- consider our Guru’s list of the best hotels near the Vatican,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Locanda Cairoli 15 rooms from $217Rome
A chic, comfortable hotel in central Rome. Clean, crisp rooms follow blue and yellow theme, with individual details such as floral arrangements and artworks. Close to the Piazza Navona, perfect for local exploring. Classic hotel with the air of a private home.Great walks - Wander the streets towards the Spanish Steps and explore the rabbit warren streets.Local markets - Explore the nearby Portico d’Ottavia, the Jewish quarter of Rome.Sights nearby - Close to Piazza Navona and The PantheonLively area - In the thick of the action.
Teatro di Pompeo 13 rooms from $182Rome
Simple and charming three star B&B on the site of Pompey Theatre, mere steps from where Caesar met his end. Tidy yet small rooms offer a great base for exploring the city after a complimentary breakfast. History buffs and culture vultures are in heaven.Local exploring - Built in the Theatre of Pompei, surrounded by ancient streets and lanes lined with hisotirc buildings.Value chic - A charming hotel, full of character and old world elegance, without the central Rome price tag!Great walks - Wander the cobblestone side streets of the Piazza Navona area and check out the tourist free artisanal shops.Local markets - Just up the road is the Campo dei Fiori, which every morning boasts a bustling marketplace.
Capo d'Africa 65 rooms from $200Rome
Contemporary, sleek hotel in the shadow of the Colosseum in the centre of Rome. Gorgeous roof terrace over looking the city bell tower and Colosseum. Attentive staff. Bedrooms are retro and stylish. Excellent gym, cool Centrum bar and La Terrazza serves the best pasta. Near perfect urban hotel.Roof terrace - A roof terrace is pretty specatucualr in Rome, and this roof terrace is no exceptionSights nearby - Located in the heart of Imperial Rome, a stone's throw from the ColosseumTownhouse - The hotel was once a school built in the early 20th-centuryRestrictions on children - Adults only propertyRecommended by - Tablet
San Anselmo 34 rooms from $385Rome
Peaceful, romantic refuge in the smart hilltop Aventine district. Baroque flamboyance meets contemporary details to create a hotel with huge personality. Overlooking the Sant’Anselmo Church and within range of all main attractions, while staying off the beaten track.Romantic - Good for couples.Great walks - Take a stroll in The Circus Maximus, an ancient Roman chariot racing stadium and mass entertainment venue.Sights nearby - The property overlooks Sant’Anselmo ChurchLively - Hip and happening.
Hotel de Monti 7 rooms from $79Rome
Centrally located, contemporary B&B. Bright comfy rooms in whites and pastels. Excellent value for a weekend sightseeing in Rome.Value chicSights nearby - Central location between Rome train station and the ColosseumLocal markets - Good for local colour.
The Inn at The Roman Forum 14 rooms from $145Rome
A beautiful guesthouse near the Colosseum. Attractively decorated bedrooms, suites and family rooms in contemporary classic style, some with mahogany four poster beds, fireplaces, and private balconies. A lovely rooftop terrace is a bonus.Romantic BreakSights nearby - Located between the Roman forum and the Colosseum. Many other attractions in walking distance.
Hotel Celio 19 rooms from $223Rome
An exquisite hotel opposite the Colosseum. Individual rooms feature mosaic floors, frescoes, trompe-l'œil paintings and all the modcons. Roof terrace and children's pool, and an impressive breakfast room. An unbeatable location in the city. A luxurious and romantic choice for city exploring.Romantic Break - Sunbathe on the roof terrace, stroll through the streets of Rome, enjoying St Peter's Square, the Vatican, Trevi fountainCity Style - Hotel is seconds from the Colosseum; all of Rome's mueseums, restaurants, shops and sights on the doorstepSights nearby - Basilica di San Clemente, Colosseum, and Arch of Constantine. Also nearby are Roman Forum and Basilica di San GiovanniLocal markets - Campo dei Fiori Market, Piazza Vittorio Market, Porta Portese Flea Market
Palazzo Manfredi 16 rooms from $340Rome
Five Star luxury next to the Colosseum and the Forum with exceptional views of both from an excellent roof top restaurant. Chic rooms, suites, and apartments in contemporary classic design. Fantastic food, unique views, and wellness too. Rome in style.Roof terrace - Wonderful roof terrace overlooking the ColosseumSights nearby - Next to the Colosseum and Roman Forum5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Romantic Break