Search the best hotels in Berat
Berat, in Albania, is one of the world’s oldest inhabited cities. It is also known as the ‘town of one thousand windows’ and is a beautiful example of a well preserved Ottoman town. The best places to stay in Berat are a stones throw from the town centre allowing you to soak in the magical atmosphere of this special city.
Berat sits on the right bank of the river Osum and divides into three parts; Kalaja - on the castle hill, Mangalam - at the foot of castle hill and Korica - on the left bank of the river. The city was given World Heritage Status in 2008 partly due to its wealth of beautiful buildings of architectural and historical interest. The topography is equally impressive with the Timorri mountains providing a suitably grand backdrop.
There is much to see and do with many byzantine churches, mosques dating from 1417, the ancient castle whose origins go back to the fourth century BC!, museums etc. For more active types there are great river walks, horse riding on Korica hill and river rafting on the Osum.
What not to miss
- Berat Castle, the remains of a grand 13th-century fortress.
- Have a look around the stunning Saint Demetrius Orthodox Cathedral
- Berat is home to many Mosques, including the very interesting Kings Mosque
- Take in the culture and sights of the Berats ancient centre
The Gurus pick for the best place to stay in Berat is a charming townhouse hotel just ten minutes walk from the old fortress.
For fantastic value
Hotel Vila Aleksander is an authentic Albanian hideaway which is a ten minute walk from the old fortress. A nineteenth century townhouse, it has been lovingly restored - all original features and traditional furnishings. It has two terraces with magnificent views and represents great value for money - doubles start from as little as €35 per night including breakfast!
- The closest airport to Berat is Tirana international airport, approximately 120 km away, approx 2 hour car journey
- From April through till October Berat averages between 22-32 degrees celsius, with the temperature at its highest in July and August
- For car hire, we recommend you book with our online partners Rentalcars
For an apartment or villa
- If you've decided that a self-catering property would be suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partners Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets
Still not sure?
Browse our list of the best places to stay in Berat,
Widen the net to include all our properties in Montenegro,
Or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Monthly Weather in Berat
Best Hotels in Berat
Hotel Vila Aleksander Berat 7 rooms from £30Local exploring - Situated in the centre of historic Berat, and surrounded by stunning countryside, there is no shortage of things to see and doLess £ - With rooms from just €35 per night including breakfast, it offers fantastic value for money.Views - The property's two terraces have superb far reaching views over the surrounding areaKayaking - The Osumi river and its canyons offer fantastic kayaking and canoeing opportunities
An authentic Albanian hideaway situated 10 minutes walk from the old fortress of Berat. This attractive 19th century townhouse has been carefully restored and rooms boast plenty of original features and traditional furnshings. The perfect base for experiencing local culture, and superb value. See More