Search the best hotels in Amazonas
The state of Amazonas, Brazil's largest in terms of area, is tucked away in the country's northwestern corner on the border of Colombia and Venezuela. In fact, Amazonas is so big that if it were an independent country it'd be the sixteenth largest in the world! With all this space, it comes as no surprise that the best places to stay in Amazonas are often remote rural locations.
As you might've expected, Amazonas is named after the Amazon river that runs right through the heart of the state. Its location in the Amazon basin means you'll find plenty of lush, dense rainforest, but there are also some more built-up areas in the state - Manaus, the largest city, hosted a few FIFA World Cup matches back in 2014 and during Brazil's Olympics in 2016. Sadly, however, the expensive new stadium that was constructed in the run-up to these events is now largely unused.
What Not To Miss
- If you're in Amazonas then make sure to spend a day or two in Manaus - the pink, Renaissance-style Theatre is especially worth a visit.
- The Meeting of the Waters, the confluence between the pale Amazon river and the darker Rio de Negro, is a fascinating spot where you can see the two rivers running side by side for miles without mixing into each other.
- Jaú National Park is simply stunning, with its diverse wildlife and almost other-worldly vegetation.
Browse through our pick of the best places to stay in Amazonas to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Amazonas
For a true escape
- Anavilhanas Jungle Lodge boasts stunning eco-cabins on stilts in the midst of the rainforest. Tuck into lovely meals in the restaurant after a day out exploring, whilst there's even a pool with a deck! Plenty of activities on offer to keep you busy during the day. A divine retreat.
For an apartment or holiday home
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Fly into Rio de Janeiro International Airport before taking a connecting flight on to Manaus Airport.
- Despite being very humid, Amazonas is hardly scorching - the average temperature hovers around 14°C year-round.
- If you'd like to explore all over the region then you'll need a car. Check out the available options with Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Amazonas
Villa Amazônia Manaus (Centro) 30 rooms from £168
This luxury hotel is housed in a heritage mansion in the historic centre of Manaus, Brazil. Simple and elegant guestrooms feature local textiles and natural accents; book a premium apartment for living space and a bathtub. Sample Amazonian cuisine in the bistro after a dip in the pool; a chic hotel.Local exploring - With the Amazon Rainforest close by and excursion packages available through tour providers, there is lots to explore locallyRomantic Break - Couples love the romantic suites at this hotel and the private interior patio pool; book into the bistro for a meal for twoCity Style - With chic, contemporary interiors housed in a heritage property, this hotel has lots of local Amazonian styleSights nearby - Visit the nearby Amazon Theatre, a remarkable piece of Renaissance architecture that still functions as a theatre
Mirante do Gavãio Lodge Novo Airão, Amazonas 7 rooms from £482
This luxury lodge is located in the Brazilian Amazon. Suites feature cosy wood panelling, a king-size bed and large terrace; book the luxury suite for a private jacuzzi. Enjoy beautiful views of the Negro River at the restaurant after a day trek in the forest or a boat ride; a unique nature retreat.Back to Nature - Located in the Amazonas, with package tours to take you into the rainforest, this hotel makes a great back to nature retreatFamilies - There are lots of family-friendly activities available at this hotel and the accommodation is suitable for childrenLocal exploring - With boat rides and forest excursions on offer, there is lots to explore local to this lodgeBirdwatching - Book a birdwatching excursion and see the plethora of local species from the vantage point of the observation tower
Anavilhanas Jungle Lodge The Amazon, Amazonas 22 rooms
A Robinson Crusoe hide out on the banks of the Amazon. Luxury eco cabanas on stilts have private balconies with hammocks, sumptuous beds, and all the mod cons. Excellent restaurant, sitting room, and pool with a deck. Night safaris, kayaking, jungle treks. A back to nature experience, in comfort!Back to NatureFishing - Piranha fishing.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorGreat walks - Good for walkers.