Search the best hotels in Minas Gerais
About Minas Gerais
Minas Gerais is a mountainous state north of Rio and Sao Paulo. It was the first place that colonists rushed to mine gold in the 17th and 18th centuries, so as you can imagine it boasts fascintating colonial architecture, picturesque landscape and natural parks. The best places to stay in Minas Gerais are remote lodges set in the hills and colonial boutiques in charming towns and villages.
Minas Gerais offers a wonderful landscape to explore, the perfect alternative to the more well trodden tourist routes that stick to the coastline.
What not to miss
- Hiking or riding in the rolling hills and mountains
- Visit a UNESCO world heritage site; Ouro Preto (or 'black gold') is the most famous of these towns.
- Marvel at Baroque architecture in Mariana, São João del Rei and the lovely village of Tiradentes.
- Buy some beautiful gems; amethysts, aquamarines, tourmalines, citrines, emeralds and the rare Imperial Topaz found nowhere else on Earth.
- Mineiro cuisine is famed throughout Brazil, healthy portions and utterly delicious!
There's plenty to do, see and eat in Minas Gerais. It's about cultural exploring, nature, and relaxation. The hotels that make the most of this are the best places to stay in Minas Gerais.
The best places to stay in Minas Gerais
- The Reserva do Ibitipoca is a stunning lodge in a Natural Park with beautiful boutique rooms and gardens and terraces that let you soak in your surroundings. There's also an Ayurvedic spa and riding safaris on offer.
For colonial style
- Solar da Ponte is a charming colonial house on a cobbled street in the village of Tridentes with old world rooms and suites, four poster beds and bags of character.
For an apartment or villa
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Belo Horizonte international airport is situated within the state of Minas Gerais.
- Between June and September is the best time to avoid the rainfall, however, temperatures are cooler, averaging around 20 - 24 degrees. If you want to when it is hotter. remember to take an anorak - as between November and February is when it rains the most, but the weather is also a bit more warm, and humid.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Stil not sure?
- Have a look at our best places to in Minas Gerais
- Or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Best Hotels in Minas Gerais
Solar do Rosário Ouro Preto (Bairro Rosário) 41 rooms from £92
This charming hotel is located in a colonial-era property in Ouro Preto, Brazil. Suites are bright and airy with heritage features and antique furnishings; book a luxury suite for a four-poster bed and a private balcony. Dine at the gourmet restaurant after a dip in the rooftop pool. A stylish stay.Local exploring - Located in the centre of town opposite the Rosário dos Pretos church, this hotel is a great base for local exploringRomantic Break - Couples love this hotel's romantic suites and the sleek rooftop pool; book a luxury suite for a four-poster bedCity Style - Housed in a pretty heritage property, this hotel has reams of local city styleGreat walks - Explore the neighbourhood on a long walk; the historic town centre is scattered with elaborate pieces by sculptor Aleijadinho
Solar da Ponte Minas Gerais 18 rooms from £142
A charming colonial house turned boutique inn in a village with cobbled streets. Old world rooms and suites have four poster beds and lots of space. Lovely gardens and pool, walking distance to restaurants, and lots of wildlife to view. Bags of character with lots of exploring to do.Sights nearby - Wander around the cobbled streets of Tiradentes.Restrictions on children - Over 8s welcome.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape
Pousada do Mondego Ouro Preto 24 rooms from £172
This charming hotel is located in the historic centre of Ouro Preto, Brazil. Rooms are traditionally dressed, with wooden floors and antique furnishings complementing the heritage property; book the master suite for family accommodation. Browse the hotel's art and furniture gallery; a refined hotel.City Style - Set in a heritage property filled with antique, colonial-era furniture, this hotel has lots of local city styleRomantic Break - Couples love the hotel's romantic suites and the cosy bar; book a luxury suite for a private balconyLocal exploring - With a great location in Ouro Preto's old town, this hotel makes a perfect base for local exploringGreat walks - Take a trip to Capela São João Batista, the site where the city was founded, and explore the pretty area on a long walk
Fasano Belo Horizonte Belo Horizonte (Lourdes) 77 rooms from £201
This luxury hotel is located in Lourdes, a chic district of Belo Horizonte. The stylish and contemporary suites guarantee a good night's sleep, with Egyptian cotton sheets and goose-down pillows; book the penthouse suite for a marble bathroom with a bathtub. Unwind at the sleek spa; a refined hotel.Foodies - Fasano Belo Horizonte houses the first Gero restaurant inside a hotel; foodies will love the award-winning Italian cuisineLocal exploring - Located in the exclusive Lourdes neighbourhood, this hotel is a great base for luxury local exploringRomantic Break - Couples love the contemporary suites and the romantic spa at this hotelSights nearby - Visit the Boa Viagem Cathedral, a Gothic style Catholic church located a short walk from the hotel
Reserva do Ibitipoca Minas Gerais 14 rooms from £355
A stunning lodge in the Natural Park with boutique rooms, an Ayurvedic spa, glorious surroundings, and lots of wildlife to view. Fantastic food, all included, and sumptuous suites in traditional style. A few separate houses perfect for groups or families. Horses to explore the area. Fab!Groups - A few private houses with 3 bedrooms are perfect for groups or families.Spa breaksRomantic BreakLuxuryRecommended by - I Escape