Search the best hotels in Tobago
Set just off the coast of Venezuela, Tobago revels in its low-key vibe, welcoming nature lovers, beach bums and keen divers. Whilst neighbouring Trinidad is a brilliant place for a party, Tobago has a more laid-back rhythm and has seen far less large-scale development. It’s a wonderful island, therefore, for those looking to kick back and relax in everything from simple eco lodges to intimate and luxurious villa-hotels. Fit for a whole host of tastes and budgets, our pick of the best places to stay in Tobago all promise beautiful sea views — a welcoming perk of life on a small island!
For an insight into Tobago’s history, tour Fort King George, in the town of Scarborough. The English-built fort houses the Tobago Museum, and is best explored with a knowledgeable guide. Expert-led tours are also an excellent way to see the Tobago Forest Reserve, which is particularly well-known for its diverse birdlife. This is the oldest protected rainforest in the Caribbean, and its spectacular valleys and mountains make for marvellous hikes. Closer to Scarborough, Corbin Local Wildlife Park is great for nature lovers, whilst the island of Little Tobago is a designated bird sanctuary, with some good short hikes.
Tobago boasts a huge array of sandy beaches, including picturesque Pigeon Point Beach, Pirate’s Bay, Stonehaven Bay and Big Bay, amongst others. You’ll find ample opportunities to go swimming, sailing, kayaking, snorkelling and diving. Nylon Pool, close to Pigeon Point, is a particularly calm and clear favourite for snorkelling as a family. Speak to your hotel or dive school about the best scuba diving spots! Back inland, you’ll also find scenic cycling and horse riding trails for guests of all ages, as well as top-notch golf courses.
Don’t miss the chance to get a sense of island life by strolling through friendly fishing villages and tasting Caribbean rum in barefoot beach bars before cosying up at one of the best places to stay in Tobago.
The Best Places to Stay in Tobago
For an Eco Lodge
- Castara Retreats is a collection of elegant eco lodges built on the hillside next to the fishing village of Castara. The ethos is very much about soaking up your beautiful natural surroundings and experiencing village life whilst making a minimal environmental impact. Sample food in the village, take guided jungle & birdwatching walks and kick back at the beach. One for lovers of the great outdoors.
For Families or Groups
- Plantation Beach Villas features six colonial-style residences, each of which sleeps up to 6 guests, making it a fun family or group choice. There's an onsite beach bar, table tennis, volleyball, darts and kayaking. With beach access and nearby tennis and golf facilities, this is a stylish pick for an active trip.
- Bacolet Beach Club is a whitewashed 20-room hotel perched above a secluded beach. The contemporary rooms with balconies face either the azure waters of the ocean or the pool. Promising good food and a relaxed vibe, this is a wonderful base for young families or groups of friends. Simple and well-priced, too.
- Blue Waters Inn sits just above Speyside beach, and has a bar, swimming pool and tennis courts. The property's apartments and villas have up to three bedrooms, as well as their own kitchenettes and verandas — ideal for group or family holidays.
- The Villas at Stonehaven promise an intimate and indulgent Caribbean escape. Expect four-poster beds, superb sea views, private plunge pools and generous verandahs. Three-bedroom villas are ideal for families or groups, whilst the gorgeous one-bedroom villas are the ultimate honeymoon hideaway. There are two onsite eateries, as well as tennis courts and two 18-hole golf courses a short drive away.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to A. N. R. Robinson International Airport, near the island's southwest corner, and travel to your hotel or villa by taxi.
- For the freedom to explore in your own rental car, contact our online partner Rentalcars.
- Expect balmy temperatures of around 25-28°C throughout the year. Peak season is between mid-December and mid-April. Travel between the end of the season and June for great hotel deals!
- The hurricane season officially lasts from June to November. August and September are the highest risk months and best avoided.
Still not sure?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Trinidad.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Caribbean.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Tobago
Best Hotels in Tobago
Castara Retreats Trinidad & Tobago 14 rooms from £105Eco break - Beautiful eco lodges built into the hillside and jungle with as little impact as possible- immerse yourself in natureLocal exploring - The ethos here is all about experience- you are thrown into the life of a authentic Caribbean villageBirdwatching - Sit on your terrace and listen to the birdsong, there are over 75 species in your garden alone!Yoga - The resort now boasts an on site yoga teacher to complete the relaxing experience
A wonderfully laid back set of eco-lodges in the picture perfect fishing village of Castara. Rustic-chic self catering apartments offer simple and elegant interiors, wood floors and unbelievable views. The restaurant is excellent, but you are encouraged to eat out and experience the village. See More
Bacolet Beach Club Scarborough, Tobago 20 rooms from £148Views - Spectacular views from the property's hillside location.Value chicRestaurant - Cafe Havana serves mixed cuisine including local and international dishes as well as Asian-Cuban fusion.Swimming Pool - Outdoor infinity pool with wooden deck surround
Blue Waters Inn Speyside, Tobago 38 rooms from £169Diving - Fantastic dive sites very close by.Views - Great views from hotelValue chicBirdwatching - Plenty to see in the hotel grounds, but a visit to Bird of Paradise Island can be arranged.
A charming hotel just above Speyside beach with a collection of sea-facing bungalows. One, two, and three bedroom accommodations come with kitchenettes and verandahs, each in beach chic style. Lovely pool and bar area, tennis court, and a walk onto the beach. Family friendly, good value. See More
Plantation Beach Villas Black Rock, Tobago 6 rooms from £215Families - Six colonial style villas with kitchens, BBQS, babysitters, and a daily housekeeper (sleep 6).Beach LifeValue chicViews - Great views from hotel
Just six beautiful colonial villas, each sleeping six, with luscious gardens, private chef, and fully equipped kitchens. Ideal for families or groups of friends. Excellent access to plenty of water sports, golf, tennis, and direct access to the beach. A special spot with an iconic atmosphere. See More
The Villas at Stonehaven Blackrock, Tobago 14 rooms from £304Views - Spectacular ocean viewsLuxuryRomantic BreakSwimming Pool - Outdoor half moon infinity pool beside the restaurant. Each villa has a private infinity pool & pool deck.
A luxury villa resort with sumptuous suites equipped with kitchenettes, living areas, and patios. Traditional chic in style with romantic linens, four poster beds, and classical furnishings. Lovely pool, restaurant, massages, BBQ grills, stunning ocean views. Sophisticated and romantic. See More