- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Opatija
Opatija is nestled in a sheltered position under the Ucka Mountain on the Gulf of Kvarner, and its temperate climate makes it a popular destination all year round. The best places to stay in Opatija are great for sightseeing, relaxing and generally taking time out.
The town traces its history back to Illyrian times, and patrician Romans built villas here. More recently, the advent of the railway made the area accessible to tourists from the late 19th century. This led to the development of the town as a fashionable resort, which drew the crème de la crème of Austro- Hungarian society (Gustav Mahler loved this place and was a frequent visitor). The Union Yacht Club dates from this era (1887) and was the first sailing club on the Adriatic.
Opatija has also always been renowned for its vibrant nightlife; bars, restaurants, clubs and casino. So there's no shortage of activities both day and night!
What Not To Miss
- Visit the 14th century Benedictine Abbey in St. James Park.
- Or, head over to the Park Angiolina gardens and marvel at their plant species from all across the globe.
- There is also the wonderful ‘Promenade Lungomare’, a 12 kilometre walk along the Riviera from Voloska to Lovran.
- Alternatively, you can simply enjoy the beach and try windsurfing, diving and sailing.
If you're visiting in July and August you'll need to plan well ahead if you want to book one of the best places to stay in Opatija. Alternatively come in the off season, when the weather's still good, but the masses have gone.
For City Style
- Design Hotel Astoria, originally Villa Louise, was built in 1904 in classic ‘Belle Epoque’ style. It has now been refurbished with a bright, cool, contemporary look. The hotel boasts a chic bar, exquisite Mediterranean cuisine and a refreshing spa. The historic old town is on the doorstep!
For An Apartment Or Villa
- If you'd rather the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available with our partner, Booking.com.
- Peak season, from May to September, brings with it the best weather - July and August experience average temperatures of 25°C. That said, these months are when Opatija is at its busiest and so expect to pay more for accommodation.
- If you want to enjoy the weather but avoid the crowds then May, June and September are the best months to visit.
- You can fly into Rijeka Airport, located 45km away from Opatija. From the airport, you can easily hop on the bus to Opatija which takes around an hour.
- Croatia Airlines fly direct from Heathrow to Rijeka, with the journey taking around 2 hours 15 minutes.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Opatija.
- Alternatively, widen your search and check out all our recommendations in Croatia.
- Or, contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Opatija
Design Hotel Astoria 50 rooms from £58Opatija
A modern and lively hotel on the Croatian Riviera. Large minimal rooms and suites with private balconies, all the mod cons, and sleek lines. Excellent terrace restaurant, lively bar, wellness spa around the corner, and stunning views out to sea. Romantic, family friendly, beachy.Spa - A nearby Thalasso Wellness Center with lots of spa treatments on offer.Sights nearby - "Emperor Francis Joseph” seaside promenade.Lively - Hip and happening.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.