Love The Hotel Guru ! Jackie Maillard.
Search the best hotels in Opatija
Opatija is nestled in a sheltered position under the Ucka Mountain on the Gulf of Kvarner, and its temperate climate makes it a popular destination all year round. The best places to stay in Opatija are great for sightseeing, relaxing and generally taking time out.
The town traces its history back to Illyrian times, and patrician Romans built villas here. More recently, the advent of the railway made the area accessible to tourists from the late 19th century. This led to the development of the town as a fashionable resort, which drew the crème de la crème of Austro- Hungarian society (Gustav Mahler loved this place and was a frequent visitor). The Union Yacht Club dates from this era (1887) and was the first sailing club on the Adriatic.
Opatija has also always been renowned for its vibrant nightlife; bars, restaurants, clubs and casino. So there's no shortage of activities both day and night!
What Not To Miss
- Visit the 14th century Benedictine Abbey in St. James Park.
- Or, head over to the Park Angiolina gardens and marvel at their plant species from all across the globe.
- There is also the wonderful ‘Promenade Lungomare’, a 12 kilometre walk along the Riviera from Voloska to Lovran.
- Alternatively, you can simply enjoy the beach and try windsurfing, diving and sailing.
If you're visiting in July and August you'll need to plan well ahead if you want to book one of the best places to stay in Opatija. Alternatively come in the off season, when the weather's still good, but the masses have gone.
For City Style
- Design Hotel Astoria, originally Villa Louise, was built in 1904 in classic ‘Belle Epoque’ style. It has now been refurbished with a bright, cool, contemporary look. The hotel boasts a chic bar, exquisite Mediterranean cuisine and a refreshing spa. The historic old town is on the doorstep!
For An Apartment Or Villa
- If you'd rather the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available with our partner, Booking.com.
- Peak season, from May to September, brings with it the best weather - July and August experience average temperatures of 25°C. That said, these months are when Opatija is at its busiest and so expect to pay more for accommodation.
- If you want to enjoy the weather but avoid the crowds then May, June and September are the best months to visit.
- You can fly into Rijeka Airport, located 45km away from Opatija. From the airport, you can easily hop on the bus to Opatija which takes around an hour.
- Croatia Airlines fly direct from Heathrow to Rijeka, with the journey taking around 2 hours 15 minutes.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Opatija.
- Alternatively, widen your search and check out all our recommendations in Croatia.
- Or, contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Opatija
Design Hotel Astoria Opatija 50 rooms from £58
A modern and lively hotel on the Croatian Riviera. Large minimal rooms and suites with private balconies, all the mod cons, and sleek lines. Excellent terrace restaurant, lively bar, wellness spa around the corner, and stunning views out to sea. Romantic, family friendly, beachy.Spa - A nearby Thalasso Wellness Center with lots of spa treatments on offer.Sights nearby - "Emperor Francis Joseph” seaside promenade.Lively - Hip and happening.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
Hotel Villa Kapetanović Opatija 27 rooms from £69
This pretty, family-run villa in Volosko boasts panoramic views over Kvarner Bay. The best of the modern suites offer terraces with sea views. Relax by the pool or in the uber modern spa. Guests love the hotel's fresh seafood restaurant, serving traditional Istrian dishes. A charming seaside hotel.Romantic Break - Wake up with a sea view on your romantic holiday at this hotel; the spa is also a favourite with couplesSpa breaks - Choose this hotel for a spa weekend and indulge in the Finnish sauna, jacuzzi and Turkish bathBeach Life - The sea is just a stone's throw from this hotel, making it great for a beach holidaySights nearby - Take the hotel's free transfer to Opatija and visit sights such as Villa Angiolina and Saint Jacob's Church
Hotel Villa Astra Opatija (Lovran) 13 rooms from £117
A historic spa hotel located in a secluded area in the town of Lovran. Interiors are classic and elegant, showcasing the building's original features. The wellness centre offers yoga classes and innovative spa treatments and there's a stunning outdoor pool. There's a superb authentic restaurant too.Spa breaks - Tend to the mind, body and spirit through a range of holistic therapies at the Astra Villa wellness centreTotal relaxation - The idyliic coastal setting is the perfect place to rechargeSwimming Pool - The hotel has a gorgeous outdoor swimming pool by the seaOutstanding locationRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
Design Hotel Navis HR-51410 Opatija 44 rooms from £125
A superb 5-star hotel boasting contemporary design. Deluxe rooms feature modern artworks and smart minimalist style. The impressive restaurant serves fresh, local cuisine in a modern setting. Promising a relaxed stay, this property provides a spa, pool and panoramic sea-views.Beach Life - Enjoy total seculsion on the hotel's private beach just a few steps away, or take the hotel's boat to nearby stunning spotsSpa breaks - This secluded spot offers an impressive spa equipped with pool, Finish sauna and Turkish bathsFoodies - The hotel's slickly-designed restaurant offers fine dining based on local Istrian cuisineOutstanding location - Rooms enjoy stunning panoramic views of uninterrupted crystal-clear sea and blue skies
Amadria Park Hotel Milenij 51410, Opatija 96 rooms from £129
A Hapsburg-era luxury hotel with landscaped gardens and terraces offering romantic sea views. Interiors are grand yet bright balancing classical and contemporary styles, and fresh rooms vary from pared back modern-chic to opulent. Prepare to be delighted by the stellar cuisine and indulgent spa!Romantic Break - A luxury hotel ideal for couples with its romantic architecture, sweeping garden terraces, stunning views and indulgent spaSights nearby - Visit the Villa Angiolina and its botanic gardens, the 15th century St James Church and the iconic Helios and Selene fountainSwimming Pool - Indoor poolViews - Great views from hotel
Hotel Bevanda Opatija 10 rooms from £156
A beautiful, five-star design hotel on the Adriatic coast. The individually styled rooms are named after famous guests from the hotel's history; the best of the elegant, modern suites offer spacious terraces with sea views. Dine in the luxurious seafront restaurant at this exclusive Opatijan hotel.Foodies - Foodies will love the hotel restaurant, with its modern twist on traditional Mediterranean cuisineRomantic Break - The luxurious suites and stunning sea views make this a great option for a romantic getawayBeach Life - Sitting right on the seafront, this hotel is perfect for a relaxed beach holidayDiving - Take a course at diving centre Marco Polo and discover life under the surface of the crystal clear watersRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux