Search the best hotels in Aarhus
The second-largest and happiest city in Denmark, Aarhus has long been the nation's cultural heartland. Full of trendy Michelin-star restaurants, a thriving arts scene, fascinating museums and beautiful cobbled streets, Aarhus is the perfect place to go for a romantic weekend break. Whether you're unwinding in the Botanic Gardens, exploring the lush wildlife of the Mols Bjerge National Park or checking out the Viking Museum, you will fall in love. The best places to stay in Aarhus will ensure that you do.
Aarhus is one of those cities that is a genuine pleasure to get totally lost in. Roaming aimlessly through the picturesque and cobbled Latin Quarter, a labyrinthine maze of backstreets lined with gorgeous 14th century architecture, boasting numerous independent boutiques and local labels, you will feel like you're in a dream. Many of the hilly residential areas are backed by houses with multicoloured terraces, while in the centre of town, you will find numerous trendy bars and Michelin-star restaurants, (Aarhus was the European Region of Gastronomy in 2016), serving local treats like Smorrebrod - an open-faced sandwich made of rye bread, topped with meat and cheese. Be sure to drink a Mikkeller beer while you do so - the two go hand-in-hand!
Aarhus was the European Capital of Culture in 2017, and it is easy to see why. With her medieval buildings, 12th century cathedral and countless museums, she is a haven for history-lovers and culture-vultures. The ARoS Museum is not to be missed: boasting artworks ranging from the Dutch Golden Age all the way through to contemporaries like Grayson Perry, it is a fabulous place to wander around and enrich yourself. The Viking Museum is another such place, a favourite of enthusiasts for the raiding and raping ancestors of this liberal and happy nation! After a heavy day of sightseeing, be sure to stroll through the Botanical Gardens, or, better still, head out of the city towards the Mols Bjerge National Park, and trek through the hills, beech forest and Kalo Castle ruins, and admire the otters of the lakes!
What not to miss
- Drink some quality Mikkeller beer while munching on a tasty smorrebrod!
- Check out the ARoS Museum and admire artworks from the Golden Age through to now.
- Immerse yourself in the violent history of Denmark at the Viking Museum!
- Visit the beautiful 12th century cathedral.
- Stroll through the Botanical Gardens!
- Head out to Mols Bjerge National Park and see the otters, castle ruins and beech forest.
Cobbled, quaint and steeped in culture, Aarhus is the perfect place to go for romance, art and history. Browse our list of the best places to stay in Aarhus to find out more!
The best places to stay in Aarhus
- Aarhus Guldsmeden is an intimate hotel with 27 stylish rooms, surrounded by peaceful gardens in the Latin Quarter of the city. Outside are the cobbled streets and colourful, but relaxed atmosphere, and inside are bright suites and a relaxing cafe.
- Hotel Oasia is a hotel that marries Scandinavian traditions with a stylish regard for decor. Boasting gorgeous views, bright and contemporary rooms with designer furnishings, all fitted out in an effortlessly sleek Nordic style.
For an apartment or cottage
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of cottages and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Aarhus Airport, (flights go from Stansted and Manchester).
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is during the summer, when the temperature ranges between 11 and 20 degrees; bare in mind that during the summertime, dawn begins at 4.30am and doesn't set until 10pm!
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Aarhus
Aarhus Guldsmeden 27 rooms from £130Aarhus
An intimate hotel with a peaceful garden, relaxing cafe and simple guest rooms. Suites are bright, comfortably decorated and have four poster beds. Situated in the Latin Quarter of the city - cobbled streets and calm atmosphere. A perfect hideaway in this creative city.Great walks - Aarhus Botanical GardensSights nearby - The Old Town Museum
Hotel Oasia 65 rooms from £124Aarhus
Centrally situated in Arhus, Hotel Oasia oozes Scandi-chic style with smart accommodation featuring light palettes, luxurious beds, wooden floors & designer chairs. Chic, modern rooms are decorated in a classically Nordic manner. A smart, unfussy and friendly city break.Great walks - Wander around Arhus's Botanical Garden or simply spend your days strolling around the city's streetsSights nearby - Visit the lovely Marselisborg Palace, the summer residence of the Danish Royal Family