Search the best hotels in Helsinki
One of the world’s northernmost capital cities, Helsinki is a lovely, lively metropolis, brimming with history, cultural attractions and stacks of superb food — whilst the natural marvels for which Finland is famed remain within easy reach. A hugely popular destination, accommodation options in the city are wide-ranging, with everything from simple hostels to elegant hotels fit for a host of budgets. Our pick of the best places to stay in Helsinki are clustered around the city centre, ideal for exploring on foot, by bicycle or using the city’s single metro line, before retreating to your groovy design hotel or indulgent heritage spot for some restorative relaxation.
Helsinki is a wonderfully attractive city to explore, with a laid-back vibe and no end of things to see and do. History buffs and culture aficionados will adore the city’s 72 museums, as well as its fascinating fusion of Russian-built architecture — reputedly influenced by that of St Petersburg — Art Nouveau detailing and classic Finnish design. There are churches aplenty to visit, with the vast domed Helsinki Cathedral on Senate Square being a particular highlight, as well as the Otherodox Uspenski Cathedral and the amazing minimalist ‘Church in the Rock’, built in the 1960s. Alternatively, unwind in a stellar sauna or shop at the city’s many chic boutiques.
Foodies will delight in the fabulously fresh fare on offer at the city’s excellent restaurants, bars and cafes, too. Think craft beers and spirits from micro-distilleries, artisanal coffees and Finnish specialties aplenty. Helsinki’s coffee culture is impressive in itself, with Finns consuming an average of 12kgs of coffee per year!
There’s also a buzzing programme of annual cultural events, from music to food festivals, and with 300 islands to discover near Helsinki, outdoor enthusiasts, foodies and culture seekers will be absolutely spoilt for choice. To top it all off, choose wisely and you’ll have one of the best places to stay in Helsinki to come back to at the end of the day. The ideal city break!
The Best Places to Stay in Helsinki
For a city break
- Hotel Haven overlooks Helsinki harbour, whilst remaining super close to the Market Place and main sights. Sumptuous rooms blend classic elegance with contemporary Nordic touches. There’s an excellent Finnish restaurant, too.
- Hotel Fabian offers 58 luxurious rooms decorated in soothing, monochrome tones. A trendy, cosmopolitan choice with parquet floors, great modern bathrooms and a cosy, characterful bar, just moments from the Design Museum and some of the city’s hottest restaurants.
- Hotel F6 is a chic, family-run hotel in the heart of the city, with 66 beautifully designed rooms and suites. A hearty breakfast is served in the central courtyard during the summer months. Pick this spot for a central location and a quirky, boutique feel.
- Original Sokos Hotel is right in the centre of town, with 206 spacious rooms decorated in a pared-back Scandinavian style. There are two trendy restaurants, a sauna and a gym. Inter-connecting rooms are great for families or groups, the location is superb and the vibe relaxed.
For a romantic stay
- Hotel Kamp is an opulent, 19th-century property with 179 sumptuous guest rooms and suites. There’s a spa, a sauna, top-notch bars and restaurants and a classically luxurious feel. Perfect for an indulgent five-star break for two.
- Hotel St. George is a beautifully elegant hotel in the city centre. Lovely rooms have a chic Scandinavian aesthetic, whilst there are two restaurants serving innovative Nordic cuisine, plus a fabulous spa and a great wine bar. Soothing and romantic!
For a design hotel
- Klaus K is a 171 room design hotel with opulent interiors, a gym, a spa, an Italian restaurant and a groovy nightclub-bar. Special Rooms are extra funky, whilst Sky Suites offer sumptuous space-themed chic at the top of the hotel. Also in a great location!
- Hotel Lilla Roberts is a trendy, Art Deco-inspired hotel in Helsinki's Design District. Stylish interiors are ultra hip and there's a fabulous restaurant specialising in Nordic cuisine. Pick this place for 1920s charm.
Prefer An Apartment Or Holiday Home?
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Visitors can fly into Helsinki Airport, located 18km north of the city, before taking the train to the centre. The city is also accessible by boat for visitors from neighbouring countries.
- Finland is a brilliant country to discover by road. Simply contact our partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Helsinki has long, dark winters — something to consider when planning your trip! Time your visit for the summer months (June to August) to enjoy long days of sunshine, perfect for exploring the city and further afield. Visit in May or September to avoid the crowds and make the most of special accommodation offers. Book your stay well in advance if travelling during peak season, as accommodation fills up fast!
Still not sure?
- See our list of all the best places to stay in Lapland.
- Expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Finland.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Helsinki
Best Hotels in Helsinki
Original Sokos Hotel Helsinki (Eteläinen Suurpiiri, 00100) 206 rooms from £123Local exploring - Set in the heart of this historic city with many of its attractions within walking distance.Sights nearby - Visit the majestic Helsinki Cathedral.Lively area - In the thick of the action.Traditional
Hotel Lilla Roberts Helsinki 130 rooms from £135Foodies - Krog Roba has gained a reputuation for excellence in pan-Nordic cuisine, and Lilla Robert's cocktails will not disappoint.City Style - A chic and sophisticated hotel with innovative interiors, nestled into Helsinki’s uber cool design district.Great walks - Wander the hip design district and soak up the range of galleries and museums in this vibrant creative city.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet
A sleek Art Deco-inspired hotel in Helsinki's vibrant design district. The cool contemporary rooms and suites are black on black with bold splashes of animal print and luxurious en suites. Downstairs the restaurant serves up fantastic Nordic cuisine in a stylish setting. An achingly hip hotel. See More
Klaus K Helsinki 137 rooms from £144City Style - Hailed as city's first design hotel, it's a hop and a skip to public transport routes, with nightclub and chic restaurant insideLocal markets - Market Square for food, handicrafts and souvenirsSights nearby - Helsinki CathedralDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Design Hotels, Tablet
Design hotel in central city. Rooms modelled on themes offer opulent, warm fabrics, splendid bathrooms and sitting areas. Gym and spa treatments available, modern public areas with fireplaces. Nouveau Italian cuisine in restaurant and cool nightclub. Superbly chic at good value. See More
Hotel F6 Helsinki 66 rooms from £200Local exploring - Ideally located to access many of Helsinki's main attractions.Local markets - Get a sense of the city at the vibrant Market Square offering everything from fresh fish to reindeer horns.Sights nearby - The Senate Square and landmark Lutheran Cathedral are just a short walk from the property.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Tablet
A chic, family-run, modern property in the heart of the city. Beautifully designed rooms are contemporary and cleanly styled yet still have a distinctly Nordic feel. A central courtyard is a little oasis during the summer months and the breakfasts are organic, plentiful and superb. See More
Hotel Haven Helsinki 77 rooms from £183City Style - Haven is a 10 minute walk from the historic heart of the city, and hotel itself is set inside one of the city's oldest buildingsSights nearby - Take a trip to Suomenlinna, the ‘fortress of Finland' and UNSECO World Heritage SiteLocal markets - Hotel is very close to Kauppatori Market SquareViews - Market Square and harbour of HelsinkiRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
Hotel Fabian Helsinki 58 rooms from £184City Style - An oh-so chic hotel just steps from Helsinki's Market Square.Local exploring - Walking distance to many of the city's sights.Local markets - Wander through the stalls at the iconic Market Square.Sights nearby - Visit the Temppeliaukio Church, excavated into a rock.Recommended by - Tablet
A trendy contemporary hotel right in the heart of Helsinki. Luxury rooms feature parquet flooring, clean designs, monochrome details and uber modern bathrooms. A chic bar is the ideal spot to unwind with a drink in the evening. An extremely comfortable base for city exploration. See More
Hotel Kamp Helsinki 179 rooms from £185City Style - Located near best shops, sights and restaurants in the city, the opulent hotel offers a chic and memorable Helsinki experienceSights nearby - The city museum, the presidential palace, and the central rail station are all walking distanceGreat walks - Esplanadi Park is opposite for a strollRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Tablet
Hotel St George Helsinki 153 rooms from £243Local exploring - Ideally located in the heart of the city with many of its attractions within walking distance.Local markets - Search for hand made jewellery, reindeer horns or even fresh fish at the Market Square.Great walks - Stroll through the beautiful Helsinki University Botanical Gardens.Romantic - Good for couples.