Search the best hotels in Aix-en-Provence
Famously chic, Aix-en-Provence brims with charm, and has long been a favourite destination amongst holidaying Parisians as well as international visitors. You can expect leafy boulevards lined with grand heritage architecture, pretty cobbled squares dominated by centuries-old fountains and lovely, carefully tended gardens bursting with the region’s iconic lavender. With accommodation options ranging from simple townhouses to opulent châteaux, there’s something for everyone in and around the city. Our Gurus’ selection of the best places to stay in Aix-en-Provence includes some fabulous foodie spots, too, specialising in gourmet Provençal fare.
Amble around the pedestrianised city centre to admire impressive historic buildings, pop into cafés and ponder trendy boutiques. The Cours Mirabeau, the city’s most exclusive street, is well worth visiting. Birthplace of Emile Zola and Paul Cézanne, Aix has long been a cultural and arts centre, with highlights including the Musée Granet, the Hotel de Caumont, the Atelier de Cézanne — once the home and studio of the artist — and the Musée du Vieil Aix, amongst others.
Boasting three universities and a number of large French schools, Aix has the feel of a young, thriving city as well as one steeped in history. You’ll find hip bars, exhibitions and events alongside more traditional upmarket establishments. The summer is festival season, and a wonderful time to tour food, textile and flower markets. Come in the spring for a slightly quieter atmosphere — though it’s still worth booking your room at the best places to stay in Aix-en-Provence well in advance!
The Best Places to Stay in Aix-en-Provence
For an Intimate Bolthole
- La Maison d’Aix is a charming townhouse with just four stylish rooms and a soothing spa, tucked in the heart of the city. A brilliant choice for a romantic weekend, close to many of the best eateries, museums, bars and nightlife spots. Ideal for couples.
- Hotel les Quatres Dauphins is a lovely little hotel in a restored 19th-century mansion. An ideal starting point for exploring Aix's sights, the property promises light, elegant rooms with period furnishings. Excellent value and close to the historic centre.
- Hotel Cézanne boasts 55 cheerful contemporary rooms close to Aix's old town. Big family suites have space for extra beds, there's an appealing terrace restaurant and there are museums, cafés, shops and eateries just steps away. Good for exploring as a family.
- Le Pigonnet is within easy reach of central Aix, yet has its own 3/4 acre of grounds, including a heated swimming pool, spa and excellent restaurant. A relaxing choice for couples and friends, this is also a wonderful family base. Book the two-bedroom suite if travelling with little ones, who will love the pool, pétanque pitch and gardens. Larger rooms have space for additional beds.
- Les Lodges Sainte Victoire sits within a private estate, filled with vines and olive trees. Indulgent contemporary interiors, swimming pools and a deluxe spa add to the appeal, but the real draw is the Michelin-starred Saint Estève restaurant, where Chef Julien Le Goff creates an innovative seasonal menu using top-notch regional produce. Superb.
- Château de la Gaude will delight keen foodies with its three restaurants: Le Art, which fuses Provençal cuisine with eastern elements, more casual bistro La Source, and gourmet Japanese eatery Kaiseki. The hotel produces its own wine and there are 900+ bottles in the cellar to sample. A grand country house with cool contemporary interiors, this is also a real gem for romantics and design lovers.
- Villa Gallici is a flamboyant hotel surrounded by Florentine gardens, terraces and a large pool. Interiors are lavish and luxurious, and the restaurant is one of the best in Aix, regularly filled with locals and specialising in gourmet Provençal fare. Dining alfresco on the terrace in the summer feels magical.
For a Rural Escape
- Villa Baulieu originally belonged to Henry III and dates back to 1576. It's now an opulent hotel with 11 beautiful rooms and suites surrounded by 220 hectares of gardens and vineyards. Pick this place for the sense of rural bliss, the idyllic grounds and the delectable table d'hôte dinners. An intimate escape.
- Le Mas d'Entremont sits in peaceful green gardens, slightly north of Aix's city centre. More like a collection of villas than a single hotel, the property has beamed living rooms with tiled floors, airy bedrooms, a tennis court, gym and large swimming pool. The restaurant serves fabulous local cuisine. A wonderful, family-owned country hideaway.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Marseille-Provence Airport or to Nice Airport. You can travel from either city by car, bus or train. Aix is also connected to Paris by TGV.
- Provence is brilliant for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- In the path of the famed Mistral wind, Aix-en-Provence is clear and sunny throughout much of the year. The heat hits its peak between June and September, averaging at around 30°C. Come during the spring for cooler weather and a quieter atmosphere, or in full summer to see the lavender in bloom — although this is peak season for holidaymakers from France and abroad.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Marseille.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Provence.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Aix-en-Provence
Best Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
Hotel Les Quatres Dauphins Aix-en-Provence (13100) 13 rooms from £100Local exploring - Whether you're attending art galleries or walking down the famous tree-lined Cours Mirabeau, there's plenty to explore locallyValue chic - With double rooms from as little as €89 per night in low season, this hotel is excellent value for moneyTraditional - Set in a former private mansion and decorated in traditional Provençal style - this is an elegant staySights nearby - The Cours Mirabeau, one of France's great boulevards, is a short walk away
A charming hotel in the heart of Aix-en-Provence, offering light and elegant rooms at a great price. A former 19th-century bourgeois mansion, it is traditionally decorated with oil paintings and marble tiled bathrooms. An ideal starting point for exploring the city's sights. See More
Mas d’Entremont Aix-en-Provence 20 rooms from £126Local exploring - Well positioned just 3km from the city centre of Aix-en-Provence meaning you get the best of both worlds - country and cityFoodies - The gourmet restaurant showcases the best of local produce and is a real treat after a days' exploringTotal relaxation - Relax and unwind at this peaceful and spacious country house, surrounded by beautiful gardensHistoric - A historic hotel that has been welcoming visitors since 1958
A rural property set in beautiful gardens boasting open courtyards with shaded seating, old beamed living rooms and a large pool. Bedrooms are light and modern with crisp white linen. A tennis court and gym entertain the active. The restaurant serves local cuisine. The ideal country escape. See More
Hotel Cezanne 13100 Aix-en-Provence 55 rooms from £133Short break - The Roman-era town of Aix-en-Provence is a good option for a short break with a manageable amount of sights to see in a weekendBoutique - Expect the colors and textures of Provence with a contemporary design twist in this chic boutique stayLocal exploring - Situated in the centre of Aix, the ideal base for exploring its rich art, culture and architectureFamilies - Spacious, comfortable family suites are an easy choice for those travelling with kidsRecommended by - Tablet
This family-friendly hotel in Aix, the town of artist Paul Cézanne and Emile Zola, has 55 cheerful rooms all decorated differently in contemporary style. Situated just 50 metres from the gorgeous old town, it's the perfect base for exploring the monuments, mansions, and famous museums of Aix. See More
Le Pigonnet 13090 Aix-en-Provence 48 rooms from £191Families - A comfortable family suite has two bedrooms and a living room and is close to the pool and gardenRomantic Break - From the garden to the rooms to the spa, all the elements for relaxation and romance are hereLocal exploring - Close to the lively city centre so you can easily enjoy sightseeing and shoppingHistoric - Cézanne sometimes painted the view of Mont Ste-Victoire from the manor gardensRecommended by - Tablet, Good Hotel Guide, Small Luxury Hotels
Stunning 5* hotel in an 18th-century manor nestled in 3¾ acres of glorious grounds, yet close to the heart of historic Aix. Forty airy rooms and four gorgeous suites offer luxury and chic décor in various styles. Heated pool, spa, delicious Provencal cuisine. Romantic, relaxing and rejuvenating. See More
La Maison d'Aix Aix-en-Provence 4 rooms from £234Total relaxation - A relaxing city break with deluxe suites and rooms, pocket sized spa and a chilled out library slash games roomLocal exploring - Well positioned just minutes from the Cours Mirabeau avenue and the emblematic Fontaine des Quatre DauphinsBoutique - A small boutique stay with stylish contemporary interiors and additional luxuries such as a wellness centreGroups - With just four rooms, this is a good choice to rent out in its entirety with a groupRecommended by - Tablet, Great Small Hotels
A charming hotel set in a picturesque Provençal townhouse. The comfortable rooms are stylish and elegant with Venetian mirrors and teak furnishings. The Secret Spa provides the ultimate relaxing break from the city. A great choice for a romantic weekend in Aix-en-Provence. See More
Villa Gallici Aix-en-Provence 23 rooms from £243Foodies - Haute Cuisine in an elegant and exuberant setting, think pan fried foie gras and an antique armchair!Hotel Entertainment - Spend a evening at the chic bar sipping on dangeroursly good cocktails and listening to jazzSights nearby - Right in the centre of town you are a few minutes walk from the beautiful Aix CathedralLocal markets - Just a short stroll down the road to Place des Prêcheurs brings you to the local marketRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
A flamboyant hotel surrounded by Florentine gardens, terraces, and large pool. Lavish fabrics and a healthy smattering of bold wallpaper give a over wrought luxurious feel to the suites. The restaurant is one of the best in Aix and always full of locals. Romantic and pampering, for a special treat. See More
Les Lodges Sainte Victoire Aix-en-Provence 35 rooms from £265Total relaxation - A charming villa set on acres of vineyards and olive trees with two swimming pools and a spa - ideal for simply unwindingFoodies - The St Esteve Restaurant has held a Michelin star since 2014 and is worthy of a visit aloneCycling - This is the perfect place to stop on a cycling trip around Aix-en-ProvenceWine tasting - Explore the local vineyards in the wine growing region of Aix-en-Provence
A stunning hotel set on picturesque grounds. Its rooms are understated and elegant, some with balconies looking over the Provençal landscape. With serene swimming pools and a deluxe spa devoted to your relaxation, plus a Michelin starred dining - this is an indulgent stay. See More
Villa Baulieu Aix-en-Provence 11 rooms from £278Elegant - Elegant design includes a variety of styles, from Italian and English to Napoleon III and Louis XIV and XVIWine tasting - Taste the estate's wines with the resident oenologist — it specialises in premium organic whites and redsRomantic Break - With wine tasting, a hot tub set atop one of the towers, and grand interiors — this is a romantic baseCountry Escape - Expect classic rural french entertainment including cycling, tennis, and boules
Originally a property of Henry III in 1576, and the wealthiest Provencal families - now an opulent guesthouse. The rooms are plushly fitted out, without being excessive: traditional wallpapers and soft colours. 220 hectares of estate to explore, and its wine to sample - experience true Provence. See More
Villa Saint-Ange Aix-en-Provence (7 Traverse Saint-Pierre) 34 rooms from £373Foodies - Set in a Second Empire conservatory, the restaurant headed by a local rising-star offers dishes from Provence and southern ItalyLocal exploring - Located moments from Aix-en-Provence's central boulevard the sights are all nearby but the hotel still feels very secludedTraditional - Interiors are an ode to the 18th century with chevron parquet floors, Persian rugs, silk curtains, and art & antiquesSpa - The small spa offers Swedish, Californian, ayurvedic and shiatsu massages, deep-cleansing facials and reflexology sessionsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
A luxury hotel boasting a secluded setting right in the heart of Aix-en-Provence. Interiors channel 18th-century grandeur with gilded mirrors, antiques, original artworks, & parquet floors. The restaurant is a triumph, headed by a regionally renowned chef and there's a spa and pool. A grand stay. See More
Chateau de la Gaude Aix-en-Provence 17 rooms from £425Wine tasting - The only wine estate in Aix. Enjoy tours of the vineyards & the chateau's stunning wine cellar decorated with contemporary artRestaurant - Three options offer the choice of Michelin-starred dining, Japanese cuisine & French brasserie. Terrace dining is spectacularRomantic Break - Lock yourselves away for a stay filled with sybaritic pleasures; come for fine wine, food & spoiling spa treatments on repeatFoodies - Matthieu Dupuis Baumal won a Michelin star for Le Art restaurant just months after his arrivalRecommended by - Tablet, Mr & Mrs Smith
Grand chateau & wine estate set over 60 acres just outside Aix-en-Provence. Seamlessly blending historic charm with striking contemporary luxury, expect destination dining restaurant, epic wine cellar, elegant outdoor pool & small spa plus sculpture by famous artists. Masterclass in old meets new. See More