Search the best hotels in Avignon
Graceful Avignon is a classic Provençal destination, perfect for history buffs and foodies alike. Perhaps best known for the nursery rhyme about the bridge, this sophisticated city was also the home of the papacy for 68 years in the 14th Century, and much of its impressive ecclesiastical architecture reflects this illustrious past. Avignon is also bursting with superb accommodation options, including simple guesthouses and luxurious hotels fit for a host of tastes and budgets. Our pick of the best places to stay in Avignon features both central properties and tranquil rural hideaways — ideal for active families and romantic couples.
Begin your explorations with a stroll around the centre of Avignon, where you’ll discover narrow alleyways opening onto expansive squares, charming little streets lined with cafés, and some seriously striking architecture. Expect marvellous galleries and museums, including the Musée Lapidaire, the Musée Calvet and the Collection Lambert — all well worth visiting. The Basilique St-Pierre and Eglise et Cloître des Carmes are also wonderful, but the real highlight is the immense Palais des Papes, one of the largest medieval Gothic buildings in the world. There are artistic treasures — notably Botticelli’s ‘Virgin and Child’ — to be seen at the Musée due Petit Palais, too, where the papal entourage lived whilst their palace was completed.
Intersperse your cultural discoveries with pauses in Avignon’s many cafés, bars and eateries to sample and savour delicious regional specialities. A gourmet food tour is also a fun way to experience the city. Whilst in town, do admire the crumbling medieval bridge which spans half the Rhône, and take a spin out on the river. There are some fabulous boat tours, as well as opportunities to kayak, cycle and hike in the surrounding countryside. Day trips to Orange, site of a Roman amphitheatre, are very popular.
Avignon is at its busiest in July, when the city hosts France’s largest arts festival. This is an exciting time to visit, but book your trip well in advance — the best places to stay in Avignon fill up fast!
The Best Places to Stay in Avignon
For a City B&B
- Au Coeur d'Avignon is a pretty four-bedroom guesthouse with two self-catering apartments in the centre of Avignon. Pick this place for elegant and intimate interiors, as well as a small garden and chic wine bar. A fun choice for couples or families.
- Le Limas offers four airy bedrooms in a central location, with views of the Palais des Papes. Contemporary style fuses with period features to create a relaxed, welcoming feel. Great for couples, families or a group keen to book the whole place.
- Hôtel de L’Horloge is a smart property right on Avignon's main square. Well-suited to business travellers or families, the hotel is comfortable and centrally-located, with 66 rooms and suites — some offering space for families or great city views. A convenient city hotel serving big breakfasts.
- Maison Velvet is a charming three-bedroom B&B in an Art Nouveau building in the city centre. The real appeal is the artsy, creative feel. Think Persian rugs, bright tiles and original artwork, as well as a sunny terrace. For a couple, family or group.
- L'Observance features bright guestrooms and a self-catering apartment for families near Avignon's many sights. The B&B includes a swimming pool, relaxing gardens and contemporary decor.
- Hôtel d’Europe is undoubtedly one of the best places to stay in Avignon. The height of sophistication and luxury, the property is one of France's oldest hotels. Set metres from the Palais des Papes, Chef Pascal Auger's restaurant La Vieille Fontaine has a well-deserved Michelin star. A gourmet treat.
- Le Prieuré is famed for its characterful, ivy-clad exterior and Michelin-starred gastronomic restaurant. Once a 14th-century monastery, the hotel now offers smart guestrooms and a swimming pool in leafy gardens. A foodie favourite in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon.
- La Mirande was previously a cardinal's palace, and is now an impeccably-decorated luxury hotel with 26 guestrooms. One for romantic couples and foodies, the property boasts a fantastic Michelin-starred restaurant where Chef Florent Pietravalle crafts delightful dishes from seasonal ingredients. The cookery school is a highlight for would-be chefs! The Palais des Papes is across the street.
- La Banasterie promises a romantic stay in a superb 16th-century property, just 50 metres from the Palais des Papes. An elegant B&B with grown-up rooms and suites, this spot also specialises in gourmet breakfasts. Delightful.
- No. 15 is a chic guesthouse with just five rooms featuring big bathrooms and lush garden views. The outdoor pool and sun terrace are lovely for unwinding, and breakfasts are served in a pretty conservatory. A top B&B for tranquil couples.
- La Divine Comédie boasts the largest private garden in Avignon. Tucked beneath leafy trees, a historic mansion offers five enchanting suites with antique furnishings and swish bathrooms. Kick back in the pool and mini-spa after exploring the city. Absolute luxury — perfect for a dream honeymoon.
- Auberge de Cassagne is a beautiful Provençal farmhouse featuring 43 elegant rooms and suites within easy reach of Avignon. The outdoor pool, sumptuous spa and lavender-filled gardens are wonderful. Foodies will love Chef Philippe Boucher's creations. A five-star stay and a superb wedding venue.
For A Rural Escape
- Le Mas de Capelou is a tranquil farmhouse B&B seven kilometres from the heart of Avignon. With rooms, suites and modern self-catering apartments, this is a restful choice for couples, groups or families. Little ones will love the pool, and there's stacks of space to unwind.
- Auberge de Noves offers an indulgent rural escape, with sumptuous rooms and suites in expansive gardens. Great for active travellers, the property offers a swimming pool and tennis court, and there are cycle paths in the vicinity. Expect excellent regional fare in the restaurant. For families or couples.
- Domaine de Rhodes features rooms, a studio, an apartment and little self-catering cottages tucked amidst beautiful gardens. Just ten minutes from the sights of Avignon, this is a restful rural retreat for quiet couples and families. The swimming pool will be a sure-fire hit! A soothing pick for nature lovers.
For Great Value
- L’Atelier is a charming 16th-century residence in Villeneuve-lez-Avignon, with stone walls, exposed beams and comfortable furnishings. Family-run, this chic little hotel has a peaceful garden and roof terrace, and wonderful buffet breakfasts. A great-value choice for couples or families.
- La Bastide des Anges promises a warm welcome on Ile de la Barthelasse, just alongside Avignon. The five spacious rooms are lovely, as are the extensive gardens and the outdoor pool. Tranquil & excellent value for families, couples or groups.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Avignon-Provence Airport, just 8km from town, or to Marseille-Provence Airport, 80km away. The latter offers more regular international connections.
- Alternatively, catch the Eurostar from London — you'll be in Avignon in under six hours.
- Provence is brilliant for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- In the path of the famous Mistral wind, Avignon is clear and sunny throughout much of the year. The heat hits its peak between June and September, averaging at around 30°C. This is a beautiful time to visit, with the lavender in bloom and arts and music festivals aplenty, but it can be very busy. Come during the spring for cooler weather and a quieter atmosphere.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Arles.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Provence.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Avignon
Best Hotels in Avignon
L'Atelier Avignon 22 rooms from £74City Style - Tres chic accommodation - with a fabulous roof terrace boasting urban viewsFamilies - Don't leave anyone behind - you can even bring the dog along!Value chic - Great value, central location - a no fail option!Local exploring - Occupying a central spot - perfect for exploring
A delightful hotel set in a stunning 16th century house. L'Atelier fuses its rustic design with contemporary furnishings to produce comfortable, attractive rooms. After a day's exploring Avignon's papal history, relax in the garden with a glass of wine or take in city views from the roof terrace. See More
L'Observance Avignon 6 rooms from £82Great walks - Wander around this beautiful historic city taking in its atmosphereSights nearby - Be sure to visit the Papal Palace and the famous Pont d'AvignonSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRecommended by - Sawdays
Hôtel de l'Horloge Avignon 66 rooms from £84Local exploring - Area steeped in historySights nearby - Avignon is a UNESCO World Heritage siteOutstanding location - Right in the centre of AvignonLocal markets - Good for local colour.
La Banasterie Avignon 7 rooms from £100Sights nearby - In central historic and romantic AvignonLocal exploring - Area steeped in historyArchitectural - 16th century residenceOutstanding location
A beautiful 16th century residence just two steps from the romantic Pont Saint-Bénézet and 50 metres from the historic Pope's palace. The rooms are simultaneously stylish, elegant and cosy. Enjoy the atmospheric stone walls and a private terrace or patio and even your own fountain! See More
Domaine de Rhodes 84000 Avignon 5 rooms from £102Sights nearby - Saint Rémy and Baux de Provence are a half an hour drive away.Local markets - Visit Uzes and its Provençal marketFull of characterBack to Nature
Maison Velvet Avignon 3 rooms from £104Local exploring - Perfectly placed for exploring historic Avignon.Restrictions on children - Over 12sFull of characterTraditional
Small intimate B&B in the centre of Avignon, just 10 minutes walk from the main sights. The three bedrooms are spacious with original painted floors, Perisan rugs, and one-off pieces of furniture. There's even a pretty terrace for sitting out. A charming spot for exploring this historic town. See More
Au Coeur d'Avignon Avignon 5 rooms from £132Local exploring - Situated in the heart of the city with many of the major attractions within walking distance.Local markets - Sample delectable Provençal food at the enormous covered market, Les Halles d'Avignon.Sights nearby - Visit the famed 12th century bridge, Le Pont d’Avignon.Traditional
The unassuming exterior hides a gorgeous 19th-century mansion in the heart of the city. Beautifully renovated rooms and apartments are elegant and light with soft hues, parquet flooring and luxurious bathrooms. The sun-lit lounge opens onto a secluded garden. An oasis in the city centre. See More
Le Limas Avignon 4 rooms from £117Sights nearby - Bang in the centre of Avignon, close to the famous bridge and the Palais des PapesViews - Views from terrace of Palais des Papes.Local markets - Good French flea markets nearbyRestrictions on children - No children
Simple B&B in the centre of Avignon with views of Palais des Papes. Stylish bedrooms offer a chic blend of contemporary and antique with original parquet floors and fireplaces alongside furniture and lighting by Starck. There's a pleasant sun terrace and an unbeatable location for exploring the city See More
No 15 Avignon 5 rooms from £139Romantic Break - Charming rustic-chic bedrooms, pretty garden with pool, river boat trips and wine tasting in this lovely cityLocal markets - Isle sur la Sorgue, about thirty minutes drive from Avignon, remains the top attraction for lovers of flea marketsGreat walks - Avignon, a UNESCO World Heritage Site whose historic centre can be easily explored on footSights nearby - Orange and its Roman ampitheatre, one of the best preserved in the world
Le Mas de Capelou Avignon 5 rooms from £152Local exploring - The B&B is just 5 miles from central AvignonSwimming Pool - Heated outdoor pool open from April to OctoberSights nearby - Palais des Papes and all Avignon's attractionsKayaking - Balade en Kayak - canoe centre
Just 7km from Avignon centre, Le Mas de Capelou offers five rooms and suites plus four apartments which sleep from 2 to 6. A period exterior makes way to modern, chic interiors. There's a large outdoor swimming pool and many peaceful outdoor seating areas. A quiet countryside spot. See More
Hotel d'Europe Avignon 39 rooms from £174Restaurant - La Vieille Fontaine - one Michelin star - contemporary regional cuisine, menu from €58Sights nearby - metres from the Palais des Papes, the Avignon Bridge and other major attractionsLively area - Especially during July and the advent of Avignon's arts festivalLively - Hip and happening.
Le Prieuré, Avignon Villeneuve lez Avignon 38 rooms from £174Restaurant - Michelin starred with gastronomic cuisine from Fabien FageFoodiesSights nearby - A few minutes from Avignon, a UNESCO World Heritage siteTennis - Tennis courts on the groundsRecommended by - Tablet, Relais & Chateaux, Michelin Travel
A wonderful blend of historic and contemporary. The 14th century ivy clad former monastery was renovated in 2007 creating rooms with character and unpretentious luxury. Relax by the pool, break a sweat on the tennis court, and visit the Michelin starred restaurant in the stunning gardens. See More
Auberge de Noves Provence 19 rooms from £195Active Holiday - Make the most out of the outdoor pool, tennis courts and bikes for hireGreat walks - Plenty of nearby hiking trailsTennis - Courts on siteFull of character
This beautiful guesthouse has stunning traditional decor and an air of grandeur. Rooms maintain plenty of original features: huge sash windows, exposed wooden beams and stonework, terracotta tiles and much more. Cycle through rural Provence and sample some of its delicacies in the restaurant. See More
Auberge de Cassagne Avignon (Le pontet) 43 rooms from £207Foodies - Restaurant by chef Philippe Boucher, vineyards of Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Gigondas, Vacqueyras, and wine festivals.Spa breaks - Features eucalyptus steam room, chromotherapy shower, twin massage rooms all situated in the peaceful gardensSights nearby - Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, Gordes, Les Baux-de-ProvenceLocal markets - Antique market in Isle sur la Sorgue every SundayRecommended by - Michelin Travel, Small Luxury Hotels
A charming 5* hotel in a typical Provencal house. Elegant rooms feature floral prints, soft colours and all the mod cons. An outdoor pool, fragrant gardens, and an extensive spa. Outstanding gourmet cuisine and a lovely bar area. Close to Avignon, ideal for a relaxing weekend of culinary treats. See More
La Divine Comedie Avignon 5 rooms from £317Hideaway - Boasts the largest private garden in Avignon, an island of verdant tranquility, in the heart of the medieval city centreGreat walks - The city centre is magnificent, so spend the day just wandering around with lots of cafés and bistros to fuel up along the way!Sights nearby - The Palace of the Popes, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and Pont Saint-Bénézet are both a mustLocal markets - Peruse Les Halles Market for an authentic and local experienceRecommended by - Tablet
A restored ancient mansion boasting the largest private garden in Avignon, right in the historic centre. Elegant suites are decorated with a choice selection of artworks and antiques but the hues are a cool steely grey and bathrooms modern. Boasting a pool and a mini-spa. Prepare to be delighted! See More
La Mirande Avignon, Provence 21 rooms from £399Local markets - Tuesday to Sunday from 6 a.m. onwards, you must visit the covered market, les Halles to buy fresh local produce.Cooking classes - The hotel's chefs have organised a cookery school to teach guests all their favourite receipes.Sights nearby - Situated opposite the Papal Palace.Restaurant - Michelin starred dining.Recommended by - I Escape, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
An immaculately decorated and furnished former Cardinal's mansion in the city center. The suites will transport you back to another time with parquet floors, bold wallpapers, and sumptuous beds. Sit out in the sculpture filled courtyard enjoying the Michelin-starred cuisine. Chic and sophisticated. See More