Search the best hotels in Boulogne
France’s busiest fishing port, Pas-de-Calais' Boulogne-sur-Mer was once the destination of choice for ferries from the UK. It’s a familiar place to many Brits, who have long appreciated its elegant town centre, heritage landmarks and reputation for fantastic food. An burgeoning number of attractive accommodation options in town as well as in the surrounding coastal villages and countryside reflect Boulogne’s enduring popularity as a holiday base. Check out our list of the best places to stay in Boulogne as you start planning your trip!
Much of Boulogne was destroyed during the Second World War, but the city’s oldest quarter, tucked within the fortified walls of the medieval castle on the hill, survived. Bursting with historic gems, this is now a fascinating district for a stroll. The 13th-century château houses the intriguing Castle Museum and is particularly picturesque in the summer months, when the moat is filled with water lilies. The domed Notre Dame de Boulogne Cathedral, built in the 19th-century and famed for its ornate crypt, is nearby, as are the striking belfry and the town hall.
Beyond the ramparts sits the rebuilt New Town, which stretches to the banks of the Liane River and the coast. Amble around this area for lively cafés, bars, restaurants, galleries and boutiques. Close to the port, the Nausicaá National Sea Centre is the largest complex devoted entirely to marine life in Europe and not to be missed. Kick back on the beaches of Equihen, Le Portel and Hardelot, explore the pretty seaside village of Wimereux, or gather fresh produce at the wonderful Wednesday and Saturday food markets. Many of the best places to stay in Boulogne showcase the city’s top-notch seafood — foodies are in for a real treat!
The Best Places to Stay in Boulogne
For a Central B&B
- Enclos de L'Evêché promises five elegant rooms in the heart of Boulogne-sur-Mer. Close to the cathedral, this historic townhouse B&B is connected to a gourmet restaurant with tables spilling onto the terrace, ideal for long family lunches (booked in advance). Choose the family suite if travelling with little ones. Perfectly placed for exploring the town centre.
- Hotel La Matelote has smart bedrooms furnished in a red-and-gold palette. The decor gives the hotel a grown-up feel, and it's a wonderfully cosy place to stay during the winter months. The big draw is the adjoining Michelin-starred restaurant, where Chef Tony Lestienne's delectable seafood dishes are served in a fresh and funky setting. A charming family-run choice for gourmet food lovers.
For Seaside Chic
- Hotel Atlantic is a cool Art Deco property in Wimereux. Floor-to-ceiling windows flood comfortable, contemporary rooms with light, whilst also offering spectacular sea views, and the elegant first-floor restaurant serves sensational seafood. A wonderful seafront hotel overlooking the sandy beach. Fun for families, couples or groups.
- La Goélette is a chic beachfront B&B with just five rooms in the pretty seaside town of Wimereux. The decor is quirky and grown-up, with lovely antiques, modern pieces and funky artwork. A welcoming choice in a beautiful location, promising a relaxed home-from-home feel.
- Le Spéranza is a laid-back Wimereux hotel, just a stone's throw from the sea. Rooms have a fresh, contemporary vibe and fun nautical touches. The cellar-based dining room offers great seafood and the location is perfect for exploring the town. Book the self-catering apartment for extra privacy. Small, family-run and charming.
For a Rural Escape
- La Ferme du Vert is a gorgeous family-run farm just 15 minutes from the coast. With attractive rooms in the 19th-century house and cosy self-catering cottages, this is a superb choice for couples, groups or families. Expect a warm welcome and excellent seasonal cuisine. There's artisan cheese being made behind the farm, too. One for lovers of a classic French country escape, with lots to eat.
- Château de la Marine is a glorious hideaway near Wimereux, with refined interiors in soothing cream tones. A luxurious choice for a getaway à deux, the hotel is well-placed for lazy beach days, golf and long country rambles. Although a B&B, the hosts offer evening meals on request. Peaceful and grown-up.
For an Apartment or Holiday Cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- If you are travelling from the UK, take a ferry, hop aboard the Eurostar or drive through the Eurotunnel to Calais in under two hours. Once in Calais, catch the bus or train to Boulogne, 30 minutes away.
- Alternatively, fly to Belgium's Ostend-Bruges International Airport and continue to Boulogne from there.
- Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Temperatures are similar to those in the south of England, and the summers are by far the most popular time to visit! Travel between June and September for longer days and warmer weather, averaging at around 19°C.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Calais.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Pas-de-Calais.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Boulogne
Best Hotels in Boulogne
La Ferme Du Vert Boulogne 16 rooms from £65Local markets - Good for local colour.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Great walks - Good for walkers.Restaurant - Recommended.
Le Spéranza Boulogne 9 rooms from £72Foodies - Boasting a superb regional restaurant specialising in seafood, worthy of a visit aloneGreat walks - Take long walks along the coast and admire the town's pretty colourful Belle Epoque housesSights nearby - Spend an afternoon discovering some of the region's history at the Fort of La CrècheLocal markets - Get a real feel for this seaside town and the bustling bi-weekly markets
A small, family-run hotel, a stone’s throw from the sea, with an excellent restaurant and friendly staff. The rooms have a fresh contemporary feel with a nod towards its coastal positioning seen in the nautical touches. Ideally positioned to explore the charming town by foot. See More
Enclos de L'Eveche Boulogne 5 rooms from £80Private Hot Tub - Some of the rooms are equipped with hot tub bath tubsSights nearby - Right in the centre of BoulogneLocal markets - Good for local colour.Restaurant with roomsRecommended by - Sawdays
Hotel La Matelote Boulogne 35 rooms from £91Foodies - The focus is on quality local produce at Tony Lestienne's Michelin starred on site restaurant.Sights nearby - Boulogne-sur-Mer has the nations's largest fishing port great for a visit and for sampling seafood.Great walks - Grab a packed lunch and take a stroll on the 12 kilometer long beach.Swimming Pool - Small indoor poolRecommended by - Michelin Travel
A cosy restaurant with rooms. Bedrooms and reception rooms are smartly furnished with red and gold decoration and mahogany furniture. The ground floor harbours a small pool and hot tub although it's all about the restaurant here. The michelin star outlet is famed for seafood. Unmissable. See More
La Goelette Boulogne 5 rooms from £91Beach Life - Ideally situated on the pretty seafront promenade in Wimereux.Sights nearby - Visit the seafront 17th century Fort Mahon.Great walks - Take long walks along the coast.Local markets - Good for local colour.
A chic property set in the charming seaside town of Wimereux boasting a fabulous position directly on the beach. A handful of rooms are individually styled but all feature large sash windows, wooden floors and crisp white linen. The best overlook the coast. A delightful base to explore the region. See More
Hotel Chateau Clery Boulogne (Pas de Calais) 27 rooms from £94Local exploring - Lively Boulogne-sur-Mer is not too far, and full of history, plus there are lots of beaches and the chateau grounds to exploreCountry Escape - Discover the Site des Deux Caps, walk to the cliffs of Cap Gris-Nez and Blanc-Nez and enjoy the viewsElegant - Rooms with French style decor, charming fabrics and vintage style furnitureSights nearby - Explore Château d'Hardelot, and its impressive grounds and gardens — a short drive away
A family friendly boutique hotel set in 5 hectares, just 10 minutes from Boulogne. Rooms and suites are charming, done in traditional French style with large beds and pretty decor. The conservatory restaurant offers refined dining with lovely views and there are activities galore near by. See More
Chambres d'Hôtes du Chateau Boulogne (Pas de Calais) 5 rooms from £127Local exploring - Situated in the historic centre, find a collection of monuments and museums close by, captivating the rich culture of the cityChic - A sophisticated property which pays homage to its history with parquet flooring, exposed wooden beams and beautiful finishesRomantic Break - Beautifully designed rooms, no children allowed & located in a cobbled lane opposite the Chateau, in the old town rampartsBoutique - Each room is unique, from luxe to charming decor including a Henri III bed, vintage furniture and freestanding baths
A beautiful B&B in the historic centre of town opposite the chateau. The five rooms are beautifully designed, and pay homage to traditional French decor with great style, charming fabrics, exposed wooden beams and freestanding bath tubs. A chic base from which to explore the city and beaches. See More
The Stay Well Boulogne 1 rooms from £139Romantic Break - Perfect for couples, intimiate rooms overlook the courtyard, and are decorated in soft colours and beautiful French style decorLocal exploring - Great location in the historic centre; on the doorstep are monuments and museums to explore, and all the Old Town treasuresElegant - High ceilings, original French windows and private salons with marble fireplaces in the luxury Organdy & Gabardine suitesBoutique - Each room is unique, and elegant in style yet warm and welcoming with comfortable beds and pretty finishes
A wonderfully stylish B&B in the centre of town. The rooms and suites are elegant and individually designed to include original French windows, fireplaces, antique style furniture, yet remain sophisticated and simple. A haven of peace and calm ideally located for local exploring. See More
Chateau de la Marine Boulogne 4 rooms from £165Country Escape - Set in a stunning parkland estate, just five minutes from the seaside resort of Wimereux, it's perfect for a country getaway.Great walks - Make the most of the beautiful walking in the surrounding parkland estate.Secluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
A glorious chateau-come-B&B near the charming seaside resort of Wimereux. The stylish rooms feature refined furniture and tasteful artworks. Let them know if you would like evening meals in the enchanting dining room. The perfect stopping point for a trip through Wimille. See More
Hotel Atlantic Boulogne 18 rooms from £208Beach Life - Situated in the charming seaside town of Wimereux, each room overlooks the sea right on your doorstep.Foodies - An excellent restaurant featuring classic french cuisine with a focus on regional seafood.Great walks - Long stretches of sandy beaches make for great post dinner walks.Sights nearby - Visit the interesting historical sight of Fort de la Creche.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
Excellent seafood and spectacular sunsets at this Art Deco seafront hotel. Contemporary rooms with floor to ceiling windows that let in lots of natural light and offer spectacular views. The fantastic restaurant serves fresh fish of the day. An all encompassing seaside hotel. See More