Search the best hotels in Chamonix
Synonymous with towering, snow-clad Mont Blanc and thrilling Bond adventures, the mere mention of Chamonix evokes a dramatic winter sports playground. Beloved by winter sports enthusiasts for decades, Chamonix is undoubtedly Haute-Savoie’s best-known destination — and it has the sophisticated hotels to match. There are a surprising number of intimate and affordable choices, too. Charming chalets or swish hideaways, the best places to stay in Chamonix promise a fabulous holiday for romantic couples as well as fun-loving families and friends.
Keen skiers and snowboarders will be spoilt for choice when it come to hitting the slopes of the Chamonix Valley. The Aiguille du Midi cable car offers one of the region’s most iconic views — rising to 3810 metres — whilst the Sea of Ice glacier is worth a visit in itself, and the peaks of the Alps seen from atop Mont Blanc are magical. Ride dramatic cable cars, zip along thrilling off-piste runs with an expert guide, or try rock climbing, hiking and mountain biking in the summer.
The town’s après-ski scene has become legendary: Chamonix’s regular crowd loves to party. Some of the best places to stay in Chamonix also boast superb restaurants; it’s well worth booking tables and rooms in advance. This Alpine favourite fills up fast during the season!
The Best Places to Stay in Chamonix
For a Luxury Landmark
- Hotel Mont Blanc has welcomed guests since 1849. A legendary Chamonix landmark, the hotel now offers 40 sophisiticated rooms and suites, a Clarins Spa, a swimming pool, a gourmet restaurant — Le Matafan — and a hip bar. A hugely luxurious choice.
- Terminal Neige Montenvers is accessible only by train. A gorgeous Alpine lodge with spellbinding mountain views from its elevation of 6276 ft (1913 m), it fuses the 19th Century charm of its origins with chic, contemporary cool. Brilliant for couples, families or groups, who will appreciate the sleek dorm rooms. Suites are superb.
- Le Hameau Albert 1er has been owned by the Carrier family since 1903, and has a dazzling reputation as one of Chamonix's top hotels. Expect elegant interiors, a soothing spa and two terrific restaurants: Pierre Carrier's two-Michelin-starred gourmet eatery, and the more laid-back La Maison Carrier. A luxurious favourite.
- Auberge du Bois Prin has just 11 cosy rooms with magical mountain views. Managed by the owners, this classic restaurant-with-rooms has become known for its seasonal cuisine. Chef Emmanuel Renaut's team pair superb Savoie cheeses and meat from nearby Alpine farms with garden-grown herbs and vegetables. Savoie wines take centre stage. Lovely.
- Le Jeu de Paume is a chic outpost of the Parisian classic, with big open fires, sink-into leather armchairs and an inviting lodge feel. Kick back at the sauna, hammam, hot tub, swimming pool and spa, or dine in style at Le Rosebud. One of the valley's best restaurants, this spot specialises in seasonal French cuisine with an Asian twist.
- The Rocky Pop Hotel is a colourful, contemporary hotel with 148 rooms and a choice of restaurants. Fun and flexible, with bunk beds and funky design, this is a top choice for families. South-west of town.
- Le Faucigny offers 28 modern rooms and suites close to the heart of Chamonix. Clad in shades of grey, with white and red touches, the hotel has a chic, trendy feel. Duplex rooms with bunk beds and lots of board games make this a fun family base.
- L'Heliopic is a big, bold hotel with contemporary accommodation and dramatic mountain views. Some of the 100+ rooms have flexible spaces for families, and the kids' play area is excellent for little ones. Savour traditional French cuisine at the restaurant and rejuvenating Turkish steam baths after busy days of skiing. Luxurious and family-friendly.
- L'Hermitage has a classic chalet feel, crisp white linens on beds with impressive mountain views, and two standalone three-bedoom chalets: ideal for family or group trips. Communal spaces are elegant and inviting.
- Le Labrador's flower box-fringed balconies open directly onto Chamonix's golf course, with Mont Blanc beyond. A sure-fire hit with keen golfers, it's also great for summer hikers and winter skiers. The 35 rooms and suites have wood-panelled walls and a cosy feel. The two-bedroom chalet is perfect for families or groups.
For Great Value
- Les Lanchers is a simple, contemporary hotel with private balconies and mountain views. An affordable choice in Les Praz, just a few metres from Chamonix’s Flégère cable car. Friendly and flexible.
- Hotel L'Oustalet is a charming, family-run hotel with 15 traditional rooms at the foot of the Aiguille du Midi. Perfectly located for the slopes as well as the pedestrianised part of Chamonix, this is a top ski choice at an affordable price. Afternoon teas are very special.
- Le Morgane has a Michelin-recommended restaurant, a good spa with swimming pool and modern rooms boasting private balconies. A great-value and vastly under-rated ski hotel.
- Hotel Eden sits just 100 metres from the Flegère cable car, with rooms, family suites and self-catering apartments. An affordable choice for guests of all ages within easy reach of the slopes.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY CHALET
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Geneva Airport and travel just over one hour and 20 minutes to Chamonix by car or bus. Alternatively, you can also fly to Chambery, Turin or Lyon and drive up to Chamonix from there.
- Haute-Savoie is wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- The ski season begins in November, but serious skiers can expect the best snow between December and February, and again in early April. Try to avoid the February half-term crowds if you can. If you're looking for great hiking and mountain biking, travel between June and early September. This is a very well-known region, so it's worth booking your trip in advance.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Megève.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Haute-Savoie.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Chamonix
Best Hotels in Chamonix
Rocky Pop Hotel Chamonix (Les Houches) 148 rooms from £43Families - Rocky Pop Hotel has family rooms, a kids playground and children's meals at the restaurant-perfect for a family ski tripActive Holiday - Whether you visit during the winter or the summer there are plenty of activities on offer locally to keep you busy!Skiing - The hotel is just a few minutes from the nearest ski lift and also offers equipment hire and storage facilitiesGreat walks - Make the most out of the beautiful summer weather to go hiking all over the surrounding mountains
The 3* Rocky Pop Hotel is located in Les Houches and offers colourful, contemporary accommodation. Head out on an adventure during the day before coming back to a hearty dinner of either gourmet burgers or more traditional French cuisine. A fun and unfussy stay, great for families See More
Les Lanchers Chamonix 19 rooms from £76Skiing - Great location near the Flegere cable carValue chicFamiliesGroups
Recently renovated ski hotel just a few steps from the Flégère cable car offering exceptional hospitality at a reasonable price. Choose between 15 cosy renovated rooms and 8 superior rooms in the modern extension. Service is outstanding, the vibe informal and the food local and excellent. See More
Hotel Eden, Chamonix Les Praz de Chamonix 31 rooms from £84Skiing - 100m from the cable car. Ski back to the village.Active HolidayViews - Views of the Chamonix Valley and Mont BlancRestaurant - Recommended.
Le Morgane Chamonix 56 rooms from £86SkiingSwimming Pool - Indoor PoolSpaRestaurant - Recommended.
Le Labrador Les Praz de Chamonix 35 rooms from £87Golf - Right on Chamonix's golf course.SkiingTraditionalGreat walks - Good for walkers.
Hotel Oustalet Chamonix 15 rooms from £100Skiing - Stone's throw from the Aiguille du Midi cable carSwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolTraditionalGreat walks - Good for walkers.
Le Jeu de Paume Chamonix (Le Lavancher) 29 rooms from £121SkiingViews - Great views up to Argentiere and over the Chamonix peaksSwimming Pool - Indoor PoolRestaurant - Recommended.
Traditionnally decorated with wood galore yet all modern comforts plus extras including swimming pool, sauna and hammam. Great views both up to Argentiere and down to Chamonix and ideally situated for skiers being midway between the two. Well respected "Le Rosebud" restaurant. See More
L' Hermitage Chamonix 25 rooms from £129FamiliesGroupsSkiingViews - Stunning views of the surrounding mountains
Auberge du Bois Prin Chamonix 10 rooms from £170Skiing - Huge range of skiing including the famous Vallee BlancheRestaurant - Michelin starred diningGreat walks - 350km of waymarked trails in the surrounding area.Traditional
Le Faucigny Chamonix (118 Place de l'Église) 28 rooms from £187Local exploring - In the heart of Chamonix, close to churches, traditional farms and old-style chalets, with wonderful views of the mountains.Active Holiday - Being in a popular ski resort area, there are lots of outdoor activities for guests to indulge in.Restaurant - Breakfast is servedFull of character
Chic and cosy interiors create a unique balance between a traditional home and a modern guest house. Rooms feature stylish furniture, comfortable beds and are designed to be super functional even in a small space. A duplex room, bunk beds and board games make it an ideal choice for families. See More
Le Hameau Albert 1er Chamonix 33 rooms from £195SkiingRestaurant - Michelin starred dining or less formal montagnarde cuisine.Spa - Offering full range of massages and body treatments.Swimming Pool - Indoor/Outdoor pool facing Mont BlancRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, I Escape
Terminal Neige Montenvers Chamonix Mont-Blanc 20 rooms from £200Outstanding location - Spectacular location at 6276 ft (1913m) above sea level - overlooking France’s longest glacier, the Mer de GlaceRomantic - Described by 'The Telegraph' as "the most romantically rustic getaway in France"Restaurant - Two restaurants: the Montenvers Restaurant and the Panoramique Mer de GlaceSights nearby - The stunning Mer de Glace and the ice cave
Only accessible by train, this beautifully restored 19th-century Alpine lodge has some of the finest views in France. Perched at 6276 ft (1913 m) it offers the charm of yesteryear blended with 21st-century chic and modern comforts, plus fine food. Perfect for anyone who loves skiing and mountains. See More
Hotel Mont Blanc, Chamonix Chamonix 40 rooms from £208Skiing - The hotel operates a free shutttle bus to the slopes5* Luxury - Very high service standards.WellbeingActive Holiday
A grand 19th century hotel renovation with Five Stars, a gourmet restaurant, and luxurious spa. Traditional elements - black and white chequered floors, and high ceilings with huge windows - blend with contemporary design for classic chic effect. A spoiling hotel for a ski holiday. See More
L'Heliopic Chamonix (Chamonix-Mont-Blanc) 102 rooms from £304Families - With its excellent central location, proximity to the cable car & family rooms for up to 4, it is ideal for a family holiday.Skiing - L'Heliopic is right next door to the Aiguille du Midi cable car and has a ski shop on site.Total relaxation - After a long day skiing come back and unwind in the Turkish steam bath or sauna!Active Holiday - Make the most out of l'Heliopic's location to hit the slopes all day!Recommended by - Tablet
L'Heliopic is situated in the town of Chamonix just a short distance from the slopes. Enjoy smart contemporary accommodation with stunning mountain views. The fantastic restaurant specialises in traditional French cuisine. With a kids play area it's perfect for a family break. See More