Search the best hotels in Dunkirk
Founded as a fishing village in the 11th Century, Dunkirk has continued to flourish as one of France’s three largest ports. Immortalised in the public consciousness as the site of the evacuation of more than 338,000 Allied soldiers in 1940, it has become a hugely popular destination for history buffs. With accommodation options including everything from simple B&Bs to private beach houses, our list of the best places to stay in Dunkirk highlights one of the town’s top spots for couples, friends and families.
Whilst much of Dunkirk was destroyed during the Second World War, a number of heritage landmarks remain — and these are great starting points for on-foot explorations. The 13th-century Belfry Tower offers spectacular views, whilst St. Eloi's Church houses beautiful Renaissance Flemish paintings. Don’t miss the grave of local legend Jean Bart, who is buried in the churchyard. To delve into more recent history, visit Dunkirk’s beaches — where the incredible evacuation took place in 1940 — with an expert guide, or check out the Port Museum’s impressive 20th-century ships.
Art aficionados, on the other hand, will be fascinated by the The Musée des Beaux Arts’ collection of European art, which includes the death mask of James II of England. The LAAC Museum of Contemporary Art showcases more recent pieces. Come evening, stroll along the seaside promenade to admire Art Nouveau villas, buzzy restaurants, boutiques and bars. The best places to stay in Dunkirk are just a walk away.
The Best Places to Stay in Dunkirk
For a Laid-Back B&B
- L'Escale Malouine is a friendly five-bedroom B&B just 1 kilometre from the heart of Dunkirk. Spacious, contemporary rooms are ideal for families, and guests share access to the sitting room and well-equipped kitchen. Great value for money and well-placed for exploring.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY House
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Paris or Brussels and take the train across to Dunkirk, or hop aboard the ferry directly from Dover.
- France's Nord region is brilliant for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Expect temperatures to range between 13 and 21°C in the warmer months. Summer is busy with holidaymakers and school trips — visit during the spring or autumn for a quieter, more reflective atmosphere.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Lille.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Nord.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Dunkirk
Best Hotels in Dunkirk
L'Escale Malouine Dunkirk 4 rooms from £61Local markets - Good for local colour.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Sea Views - From some rooms.Great walks - Good for walkers.