Search the best hotels in Fontainebleau
Famous for its forested park and grand royal palace, Fontainebleau was once home to the Kings and Queens of France. It’s now an appealing destination for outdoorsy types and history buffs, within easy reach of Paris. Ranging from simple B&Bs to opulent luxury hotels, our pick of the best places to stay in Fontainebleau promises something for everyone in this magical corner of France.
Originally a royal hunting lodge, the Château de Fontainebleau was extended by successive monarchs to become an increasingly extravagant landmark. It has also been the setting for various key moments in French history, such as the 1685 Edict of Fontainebleau and the 1762 Treaty of Fontainebleau. Not forgetting Napoleon's notably big farewell to his ‘old guard’ in the White Horse Courtyard — now known as the ‘Courtyard of Goodbyes’ — in 1814. A UNESCO heritage site, the palace offers excellent guided tours and gorgeous gardens. The nearby Château de Rosa Bonheur is another cultural hotspot, whilst the acclaimed INSEAD Business School attracts students from around the world.
The vast Fontainebleau Forest spans 49,000 acres, and is a favourite amongst rock climbers, hikers, horse riders and mountain bikers. Along with the French Gâtinais Regional Nature Park, it’s a spectacular area for birdwatching, summer picnics and soaking up France’s natural beauty. Book your trip early if travelling during the warm summer months, as the best places to stay in Fontainebleau fill up fast with weekend visitors from Paris and further afield.
The Best Places to Stay in Fontainebleau
For a Central Stay
- Hotel de Londres is a charming property within walking distance of the magnificent Château de Fontainebleau. A central spot for keen explorers, the hotel boasts classically decorated rooms with well-chosen art pieces and an elegant sense of style.
- L'Aigle Noir hides imposing rooms with period furnishings and bold wallpapers set behind an imposing Napoleonic façade. Close to the heart of town and the palace, it’s a wonderfully characterful romantic hotel, perfect for culture-minded couples.
- La Demeure du Parc has chic, contemporary rooms near the centre of Fontainebleau. Designed by reputable architect Mohamed Adib, interiors are swish and stylish. Plus there’s a trendy bar and a fabulous gastronomic restaurant. For foodies or design lovers.
FOR a Château Escape
- Château de Bourron has been transformed into a gorgeous six-bedroom hotel with original furniture, marble and parquet flooring and a gourmet restaurant. Play tennis onsite and golf nearby, or simply unwind in eight acres of grounds and manicured gardens at this indulgent rural retreat.
- Château d'Augerville, 24 kilometres from Fontainebleau, promises a magical rural escape. Set amidst rolling parkland, the hotel boasts a soothing spa, a scenic golf course and a beautifully panelled dining room for romantic gourmet dinners. Very relaxed.
FOR AN APARTMENT or Holiday House
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Paris' Charles de Gaulle Airport or to Paris Orly Airport, and travel to Fontainebleau by train or car. Alternatively, hop aboard the Eurostar from London to Paris; the trip to Fontainebleau-Avon takes around 35 minutes by rail from Paris.
- The flexibility of a car is wonderful if you plan to explore the park and countryside. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the summer months for the warmest weather, although this is the busiest time of year. Spring and autumn are quieter, cooler and very picturesque.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Paris.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Ile de France.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Fontainebleau
Best Hotels in Fontainebleau
Chateau d'Augerville Fontainebleau (Augerville-la-Riviere) 40 rooms from £117Country Escape - The ideal country getaway, with expansive landscaped gardens and grounds, bordering the Regional Park of Gâtinais.Total relaxation - Unwind in style with pamperingly plush suites, massage treatments, hammam, sauna and indulgent cuisine.Great walks - Make the most of your stunning surrounds and head off for a walk around the grounds.Full of character
A beautiful French chateau set in rolling parkland. It's rooms exude a simple elegance, optimising space and comfort. Its majestic golf course is a distinguished feature and is regarded as one of the most beautiful in France. The perfect place for a relaxing country escape. See More
Hotel de Londres, Fontainebleau Fontainebleau 16 rooms from £124Local exploring - Perfectly placed for exploring the historic city of Fontainbleu as well as the surrounding forest.Sights nearby - Five minutes walk from the stunning UNESCO World Heritage Site Château de Fontainebleau.Great walks - The forest surrounding Fontainebleau is perfect for walking.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels , Sawdays
L'Aigle Noir Fontainebleau 53 rooms from £125Romantic Break - The imperial suites make for an indulgent and romantic weekend break in Fountainebleau.Country Escape - Surrounded by a large, scenic forest, it's perfect for a weekend break from Paris.Sights nearby - A hundred yards from the UNESCO World Heritage Site Fontainebleau Palace.Great walks - There is lovely walking through the Fontainebleau Forest.
L'Aigle Noir is a marvellous hotel, brimming with Napoleonic imperialism fit for the street it stands on. The rooms are lavishly decorated with magnificent wall papers and period furniture. Explore the nearby Fontainebleau Palace or stroll through the beautiful surrounding forest. A majestic gem. See More
La Demeure Du Parc Fontainebleau 27 rooms from £133Local exploring - The ideal base from which to get to know FontainebleauSights nearby - Be sure to go visit the stunning Château de Fontainebleau, located just 200m awayGreat walks - Fontainebleau's surrounding area is known for wonderful walking trailsRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Tablet
Located in the centre of Fontainebleau, La Demeure Du Parc offers a range of chic contemporary accommodation designed by renowned architect Mohamed Adib. The restaurant serves gastronomic local dishes and the bar is a trendy spot for a cocktail! A low-key yet stylish stay for foodies! See More
Chateau de Bourron Fontainebleau (Bourron-Marlotte) 6 rooms from £173Country Escape - Eighty acres of gardens surround, whilst the grounds are dotted with box topiary; sumptous fabrics and furniture indoorsGreat walks - Hotel's 42-acre park and walled forest of FontainebleauTennis - Hotel has court in the gardensSights nearby - Fontainebleau castleRecommended by - Sawdays
Regal chateau in manicured gardens. Elegant rooms have tapestries, original Versailles parquet and period furniture; bathrooms in pale marble. Tennis court, children's play area and extensive gardens. Gourmet French menu served in the chateau cellar restaurant. Historic, special and romantic. See More