What a brilliant website. I shall speak of it far & wide ! David Campbell.
Search the best hotels in Jura
A rural idyll, the likes of which you might see in the illustrations of a children's storybook, Jura is an untamed mountainous borderland between France and Switzerland. The perfect countryside retreat, it is a protected nature reserve crowned with mountains bearded thickly with trees, and crystalline lakes that mirror the sky, many of which have tributaries that pass through sublime gorges and pour into waterfalls. Set amongst this idyllic rural scenery are numerous pretty towns and villages, around which snake countless well-known cycle routes and hiking paths. The unique local cheeses and wines are a real highlight of the region. Whether you're cross country skiing, visiting the quaint, picturesque villages that pepper the hillsides, exploring prehistoric caves or wineries, or simply unwinding in a spa resort, the best places to stay in the Jura offer their guests the perfect base from which to explore both the culture of the region and its glorious countryside.
What not to miss
- Visit the beautiful village of Baume-les-Messieurs and its gorgeous waterfalls.
- Wander the delightful old streets of Dole, a city brimming with art and history.
- Enjoy a spot of wine tasting at the Chateau-Chalon winery - famous for its yellow wine.
- Head to Vouglans Lake, where you can boat, fish or go swimming.
- Explore the prehistoric caves at Molain.
- Walk around the Abbey of Sant Pierre in Baume-les-Messieurs.
- Unwind in the spa resort of Salins-les-Bains.
- Go cross-country skiing at the resort of Premanon.
This is a beutiful spot and unsurprisingly can get booked up fast during the summer months so to ensure a room at one of the best places to stay in Jura, we recommend booking well in advance.
The best places to stay in Jura
For a low key country break
- Closerie les Capucines has been beautifully converted from a 17th Century convent, with five, clean peaceful rooms benefiting from many of the original features, including a large and beautiful garden and a lovely solarium. They also have a pool and offer free bike hire.
- Auberge de Chavannes: a small hotel set amidst rolling fields of vineyard, offering light and airy minimalist rooms with polished pine and simple furniture. The restaurant serves the best of locally-sourced food, and it is a great starting point to explore the region from.
- Maison Zugno: contemporary, cosy and nestling on beautiful grounds, this gorgeous 17th century country house offers elegant rooms and suites adorned with designer furnishings, and a gastronomic restaurant serving sumptuous French cuisine.
- Chateau de Germigney offers the perfect option for foodies who like a spot of comfort too. This former hunting lodge is set in glorious countryside and boasts Michelin starred cuisine. Rooms are traditional and luxurious with four posters aplenty.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Lyon is the nearest city with an airport. From there you can get train connections to many towns and villages.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- If you want a spot of cross-country skiing, which Jura is famous for, it best to go in late winter when the temperature ranges between 1 and 6 degrees; as for summer, it remains temperate throughout, averaging at around 13 degrees.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Jura
Auberge de Chavannes 11 rooms from £86Lons Le Saunier (39570 Courlans)
A small hotel located in the heart of Jura, surrounded by picturesque countryside, dotted with vineyards. Light filled rooms are chic and contemporary with plenty of polished pine and minimalist furniture. The restaurant is wonderful and celebrates all things local. A charming stay.Foodies - The restaurant celebrates Franche-Comté’s traditional regional gastronomy and organic, natural wines.Great walks - Standing in one of France's most prolific wine-producing regions, surrounded by vineyards and open green farmland.Sights nearby - A short drive from Chateau-Chalan, ranked one of the most beautiful villages in France, famous for its Vin Jaune.Views - Great views from hotel
Closerie les Capucines 5 rooms from £99Poligny (Arbois)
Charming 17th century convent conversion in Jura. Peaceful and clean rooms with original features. Outdoor pool, garden, and solarium for catching the rays or star watching. Plenty to see in the local area and hotel bikes to borrow. A relaxed choice with charming homely touches.Wine tasting - Hotel can organise translator for winery visitsBicycles available - Free bicycles availableChateau - 17th century buildingRomantic Break
Maison Zugno 9 rooms from £101Poligny (Barretaine)
Contemporary and cosy styles are gracefully combined in this mellow 17th-century house set in beautiful grounds. Rooms and suites are elegantly decorated with natural materials and designer furnishings. Bistronomic restaurant serves fabulous French food. Perfect for exploring the Jura.Views - All rooms have garden viewGreat walks - Good for walkers.Romantic - Good for couples.
Chateau de Germigney 20 rooms from £153Port-Lesney, Jura
A former hunting lodge surrounded by lakes and charming villages. Luxurious interiors include romantic rooms and suites with four poster beds, glorious salons, and two restaurants, one with a Michelin star. Natural water swimming pool and close to the mountains. Stunning!Foodies - Two restaurants, both of which are highly regarded in the region for their colourful dishes, one with a Michelin star.Luxury - Stunning architecure, sumptuous rooms, and gourmet cuisine, all in a beautiful setting.Views - Great views from hotelSights nearby - Royal Saltworks at Arc-et-Senans and the Unesco rated Salt Mines at Salins-les-Bains.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux