Search the best hotels in Les Sables-d'Olonne
About Les Sables-d'Olonne
A seaside resort town set on the picturesque Lumière Coast in the Vendée region, Les Sables-d'Olonne is a fabulous destination for a family holiday or a couples’ beach break. Three kilometres of sandy beaches, marvellous museums, heritage sites and terrific seafood restaurants beckon. The best places to stay in Les Sables d'Olonne are perched right on the sand, promising superb sea views throughout the year.
Founded in 1218, Les Sables-d'Olonne was once the home of Richard the Lionheart. The remnants of his castle, the Chateau de Talmont-Saint-Hilaire, still stand, as do the ruins of the Tour d'Arundel and the 11th-century priory of Saint Nicolas. The Musée de l'Abbaye Sainte-Croix, a former abbey-turned-art-gallery, is fantastic. Stroll through Les Sables-d’Olonne for a sense of this charming town’s identity — one which is closely interwoven with its fishing and shipbuilding industries. Spot shellfish artwork decorating the façades of homes in L'Ile Penotte, or join the crowds in cheering on competitors in the famed Vendée Globe yacht race, hosted every four years. Families can also head to the well-regarded zoo or the aquarium.
Ambles along the seaside promenade, lined with Belle Epoque villas, cafés, boutiques and seafood eateries, also come highly recommended. The powder-soft beach is brilliant for sunbathing and sandcastle building, whilst the watersports range from sailing to scuba diving and kayaking. The Vendée's rugged coastline, bordered by forest and marshland, is ideal for hiking, cycling and horse riding. This is a deservedly popular destination; expect the best places to stay in Les Sables-d'Olonne to fill up fast during the summer season.
The Best Places to Stay in Les Sables-d'Olonne
For Seaside Chic
- The Atlantic Hotel is a trendy seaside spot with retro rooms offering private balconies and ocean views. Highlights include the refreshing indoor pool, spoiling spa and fantastic seafood restaurant Le Sloop is a destination in itself! A favourite for couples, friends or families.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to La Rochelle-Ile de Ré Airport or to Nantes Atlantique Airport and journey to your hotel by bus or taxi in under two hours. Many hotels will be happy to arrange an airport pickup in advance.
- The Vendée is great for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures ranging between 20 and 26°C from June to August. May or September-October are ideal for quieter trips. Expect the crowds to descend doing the school holidays!
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Ile de Noirmoutier.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Vendée.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Les Sables-d'Olonne
Best Hotels in Les Sables-d'Olonne
Atlantic Hotel Les Sables-d'Olonne 138 rooms from £95Beach Life - A perfect beach-chic property with a nautical theme and positioned right on Les Sables-d'Olonne coastline.Total relaxation - With an excellent spa, fine dining and fresh sea air - this property is meant for unwinding!Great walks - Start your day on the right note and head off for a walk along the Bay of Les Sables d’Olonne.Swimming Pool - Indoor pool
A trendy beachside hotel including an indoor pool and spoiling spa. Interiors have a nautical theme with a retro twist, all feature private balconies and some, private hot-tubs. Le Sloop restaurant is a local favourite and boasts sea views and seafood dishes. Pets and children welcome! See More