Search the best hotels in Marseille
Marseille is one of the oldest cities in Europe and it's also one of the most alive. It thrives on change and the influx of the new, a true global melting pot since its founding in 600BC. The best places to stay in Marseille reflect this diversity with everything from cheap and chic to five-star luxury on offer.
Marseille is also the second-largest city in France, by population, and the largest by area. So get ready to jump into the colourful markets - which will transport you to more distant lands, to marvel at the natural beauty of the Calanques - fjord-like cliffs which fall dramatically into the sea, and to delve into the history of the old part of town and the old harbour - le Vieux Port.
Being European Culture Capital in 2013 meant museums, galleries and accommodation options have had a recent spruce up, so it's a great time to visit Marseille. With 2600 years of history to explore, you'll find plenty to keep you interested.
With lively nightlife, fascinating history and an excellent choice of restaurant and bars, Marseille has plenty to offer. But don't forget that the best places to stay in Marseille will be busy, especially during the peak summer months. So do your homework and book well ahead.
The best places to stay in Marseille
For city chic
- Mama Shelter is the ultimate chic city break hotel, care of Philippe Starck, naturally. A short stroll from the old port, this hotel occupies a cluster of old houses, so it's old and graceful on the outside and high concept on the inside. As well as plenty of clean, white lines there are whimsical touches, like ceilings covered with graffiti, and Marseillaise slang in the lift.
- Elegant, classy, stylish are all good adjectives for Hotel C2. Awash with luxury, this Haussman-style townhouse blends chic contemporary design features with antique cornices and frescoes. The highlights include a superb restaurant, a lavish spa and a lively music bar.
- Hôtel Maison Montgrand is a unique hotel comprising two beautifully renovated townhouses boasting a spacious outdoor terrace, tea salon and perfumery. Rooms are modernist and minimal and some come with balconies. Best yet, it is great value!
- nHow Marseille is a quirky hotel with street art and showpiece installations to enthral those with a taste for contemporary urban art. Rooms are chic and modern with many boasting balcony views of the sea.
For harbour views
- The name is a big giveaway at La Residence du Vieux Port. The rooms focus on space, light and comfort, affording excellent views out over the nearby harbour. A great base from which to explore the vibrant area surrounding Marseille's port.
For a romantic break
- Les Bords de Mer is a luxury hotel set directly on the seafront on Catalans Beach in Marseilles. All guestrooms have sea views and a private terrace. Boasting a rooftop pool and seafood restaurant, perfect for a romantic getaway.
For sea views
- Perfectly capturing the beauty of the Mediterranean, Le Petit Nice is a stunning five-star hotel. Heavenly suites, the famous Gérald Passédat restaurant, and an atmospheric bar all come together to create a tranquil spot.
For a central location
- Hotel Maison Saint Louis is a heritage hotel well-placed near the Old Port in Marseilles, in the heart of the Noailles neighbourhood. The imperial facade gives way to airy, Mediterranean-inspired guestrooms in a palette of olive green and Marseille blue. An elegant choice.
- Hotel 96 is set in a beautiful secluded 19th century house, on the outskirts of Marseilles. Sleek rooms are minimalist and contemporary and family suites are available. Situated near the national park this is a great choice for an outdoor holiday.
For a self-catering apartment or holiday villa
- Explore the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly into Marseille Airport.
- For car hire, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Marseille is the sunniest city in France with over 300 days of sunshine a year. If you're one for summer heat, the best time to visit is from May to September.
Still not sure?
- Take another look through our list of all the best places to stay in Marseille.
- Expand the search to see all the best places to stay in Provence or the Cote d'Azur.
- Alternatively, contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Marseille
Best Hotels in Marseille
Hôtel Maison Montgrand Marseille 37 rooms from £67Sights nearby - The Vieux-Port is a 5min walk while Estrangin Préfecture Metro Station is 150m from the hotel so you can explore the cityLocal markets - Don't miss Marseille's iconic markets including Noailles Market, just a short walk from the hotelLively area - In the thick of the action.Lively - Hip and happening.
This unique hotel comprised of two beautifully renovated townhouses boasts a spacious outdoor terrace, tea salon and perfumery. Rooms are modernist and minimal and some rooms come with balconies. The delicious lunch served on the terrace is not to be missed and there are great restaurants nearby. See More
Mama Shelter, Marseille Marseille 126 rooms from £60Value chicCity StyleDesigner - Philippe Starck has worked his magic hereSights nearby - Port is nearbyRecommended by - CN Traveller
Stylish modernity close to the old port. This Philippe Starck designed Marseille hotel offers industrial-meets-kitsch style and caters for a trendy crowd. Good for solo travellers, couples and families who like a buzzy atmosphere in minimalist surroundings. Excellent value. See More
Hotel Maison Saint Louis Marseille 25 rooms from £61Families - With family suites that can accommodate children, this hotel is a great option for parents wanting to have a family city breakCity Style - Set in a turn-of-the-century property in the historic Noailles neighbourhood, this hotel has reams of local Marseilles charmLocal exploring - Set in the city's lively, popular district close to the Old Port, this hotel makes a great base for exploring local cultureSights nearby - Visit the iconic Basilique Notre-Dame de la Garde, a 19th-century Romano-Byzantine basilica and a symbol of Marseilles
This heritage hotel is nestled near the Old Port in Marseilles, in the heart of the Noailles neighbourhood. The imperial facade gives way to airy, Mediterranean-inspired guestrooms in a palette of olive green and Marseille blue. Start the day at the hotel's classic bistro before sightseeing. See More
Hotel 96 Marseille 13 rooms from £90Local exploring - Set just outside Marseilles, it's perfect for exploring the city and also the Calanques National Park.Sights nearby - The hotel is located less than a mile from Parc du Roy d'Espagne.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
La Residence du Vieux Port Marseille 50 rooms from £156Value chic - An affordable jem, overlooking the beautiful old port, inspired by Le Corbusier and filled with vintage design features.Sights nearby - Just a five minute walk from the Old Port of Marseille.
A stylish contemporary hotel overlooking the Vieux Port in Marseille. The modern rooms are spacious and sleek with many affording beautiful views out over the rooftops. Within easy reach of the sights and sounds of the city, it's perfect for a weekend's exploring the seaside city. See More
nhow Marseille Marseille (La Corniche) 150 rooms from £160Families - With family rooms and child-friendly activities during school holidays, this is a great place to bring the kidsCity Style - This stylish property in the heart of Marseille features unique designs from a host of famous architectsShort fly break - Marseille Provence airport is less than an hour away so you can relax into holiday mode in no timeBusiness meetings - nHow offers 14 meeting rooms in this alternative setting
A quirky hotel with street art and showpiece installations to enthral those with a taste for contemporary urban art. Rooms are chic and modern with many boasting balcony views of the sea. Guests can make use of a fully-equipped gym or relax by the pool with a drink from the bar. See More
Les Bords de Mer Marseille (La Corniche) 19 rooms from £163Beach Life - Set on the beach in Marseilles, with sea views from every room, book this hotel for your next seaside getaway in the Côte d'AzurRomantic Break - With airy and bright suites, a rooftop bar and pool and a sleek spa, book this hotel for an indulgent romantic breakLocal exploring - This hotel's location is ideal for local exploring, offering easy access to the coast and to the city centreSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Mr & Mrs Smith
This luxury hotel sits directly on the seafront on Catalans Beach in Marseilles. All guestrooms have sea views and a private terrace, complemented by azure drapes and crisp white linens. Head to the rooftop pool before dinner at the stylish seafood restaurant, perfect for a romantic getaway. See More
Le Petit Nice Marseille (Marseilles) 16 rooms from £221Views - Incredible spot overlooking the sea. Gaze into the horizon with the Château d’If and the Planier lighthouse in the backgroundFishing - Calanque de Morgiou has been famed for tuna fishing since 1622.Sights nearby - Visit the old port of Marseilles.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Tablet
Hotel C2 Marseille 20 rooms from £233City Style - A charming 19th-century mansion, turned chic contemporary urban retreat, filled with funky design details and orginal features.Local exploring - Just minutes from the Vieux Port, surrounded by smart boutiques and cool cafes, it's the perfect base for exploring Marseille.Sights nearby - The Old Port of Marseille and Notre-Dame de la Garde Basilica are ten minutes walk from the hotel.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
A sharp snazzy five-star hotel in Marseille's city centre. The Haussman-style townhouse features ornate period ceiling frescos, side by side with cutting edge contemporary design furnishings. The deluxe suites, excellent restaurant, vibrant music bar and heavenly spa, exude a quiet sense of luxury. See More