Search the best hotels in Montpellier
Montpellier is one of southern France's most seductive cities. The architecture is graceful positioned along elegant boulevards, the atmosphere is of culture, tolerance and appreciation of the aesthetic. As well as the beautiful sights some of Montpellier's charms as a destination come from its grand Hôtels Particuliers. These are like grand private homes that have been converted into some of the best places to stay in Montpellier.
Even if you're not staying in one, the Hôtels Particuliers are still a very fine sight to see while out strolling. Built during the 17th and 18th Centuries by Montpellier's wealthiest merchants, some of them have been converted for municipal use or have become museums. Any that you have a chance to peep inside you should - even if they seem sober on the outside the courtyards are often amazing!
It could be the Mediterranean influence? Or the fact that it was founded by the counts of Toulouse not the Romans? Or the city's lack of industry, which means it's had to rely on ideas to prosper? Whatever it is, Montpellier is a special place because of it.
What Not To Miss
- Much of Montpellier's appeals can be experienced without an entrance fee - you just amble over to the main square, the Comedie, and grab a table. The square is lined by St. Peter's Cathedral and Europe's oldest medical school.
- When you have finished admiring one of France's most beautiful central squares move on to the Esplanade, Place Jean Jaures, or Place Canourgue and repeat.
- You may expect a city with this much interest in beauty would have an excellent art museum. Of course it does - the Musee Fabre, which houses France's richest collection of European art. Some of the highlights include three paintings by Rubens, a striking collection by Jacques-Louis David and good pieces by Manet, Degas, Delacroix and Courbet.
- As well as beautiful buildings, Montpellier does green spaces with panache as well. It is home to France's oldest botanical gardens, just by the St-Pierre Cathedral. Montpellier is also temptingly close to the sea - only 50minutes to the resort town of Palavas on a bike. Which you can hire from the tourist office.
- Visit the Parc Zoologique Henri de Lunaret, with a range of exotic animals - the zoo promises to be great for all the family.
Our selection of the best places to stay in Montpellier range from a chic B&B in the centre of town to a five star domaine just outside.
The Best Places to Stay in Montpellier
For a central location
- If you're looking for somewhere grand the Baudon de Manuy is one of the best. The ceilings in some of the eight rooms and suites are nothing short of palatial. All are different, and while some feature original 18th Century details, others are quite modern. It is possible to hire the entire building, so it's perfect for an exclusive party or event.
- Hotel du Palais, Montpellier is an unfussy hotel run by a friendly team and situated in an enviable location surrounded by local neighbourhood cafes, restaurants and small boutiques.
- Ideal for a city break, Hotel d'Aragon, Montpellier is a comfortable and peaceful Montpellier bolthole, a short walk from both the railway station and the historic centre. Ideal for visitors looking for a small and characterful hotel from which to explore the city.
For absolute luxury
- If you're looking for luxury, book the Domain de Verchant. Set in hectares of vineyards, this is a spa resort and country château hotel type affair. It is the kind of place where you can have everything just to your liking - from traditional decor to super modern, from a private dining or spa experience to a separate, self catering villa for your whole family.
- Domaine de Biar is a stunning country house located on the edge of Montpellier. Lovingly converted throughout, keeping its distinctly French feel, with contemporary architectural touches. Country-style gardens, roaming horses and a gorgeous pool quickly aid relaxation (as does the spa). Thoroughly spoiling.
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer your own space, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a variety of properties throughout the city centre and further afield.
- Fly to Montpellier–Méditerranée Airport located only 10km (6 miles) from Montpellier with a range of international and domestic connections.
- Catch the train to Montpellier, with routes including Paris approximately 3h15 away. Visitors from the UK can take the Eurostar to Paris, before changing for an onward connection to Montpellier
- If you want to rent a car to explore Montpellier and the surrounding area, for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - June to August is summer and the peak season for tourists. Alternatively for visitors looking for a quieter time, March to May is Springtime in Montpellier and provides pleasant temperatures.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Montpellier
Disini Hotel 16 rooms from £76Montpellier (34160 Castries)
Orient-inspired luxury hotel in rural Languedoc offering 16 exotically furnished rooms and suites, with Asian artefacts with flourishes of African style. Featuring a seasonal outdoor swimming pool, jacuzzi and spoiling spa. A picturesque and quiet location, ideal for a relaxing rural retreats.Country Escape - Set in an idyllic and picturesque setting that's wonderfully tranquil.Great walks - 15 minutes away in Montpellier is the Promenade du Peyrou, which, when lit up at night, is perfect for strolling lovers.Sights nearby - 5 miles away is the Chateau du Flaugergues, a well-restored castle, with impressive gardens.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Mas de Lafeuillade 5 rooms from £96Montpellier (34000)
Elegant rooms in the heart of Montpellier. The eclectic decor mixes traditional and modern styles: think 1920s furniture with 21st century street art. An on-site restaurant serves excellent a la carte cuisine. A short walk to the beach, ideal for exploring the region.Business meetings - You can rent out meeting rooms via reception if you're planning a seminar or business meeting. Catering and board provided.Beach Life - Montpellier is only a few km from beaches like the saint-white sands of Grau-du-Roi.Great walks - The hotel is close to the Place de la Comédie, a central plaza with countless shops, cafes and restaurants.Quirky - An experience!
Hotel d'Aragon, Montpellier 12 rooms from £97Montpellier
A comfortable and peaceful Montpellier bolthole, a short walk from both the railway station and the historic centre. Ideal for visitors looking for a small and characterful hotel from which to explore the city.Sights nearby - Go see the medieval Mikvé, ancient Jewish baths, or visit Saint Anne and Saint Pierre CathedralsGreat walks - Wander around the old town and stop off for a break in a bustling caféFull of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
Hotel du Palais, Montpellier 26 rooms from £98Montpellier
An unfussy hotel run by a friendly team and situated in an enviable location surrounded by local neighbourhood cafes, restaurants and small boutiques. Many rooms boast pretty balconies overlooking the city and there are good family options. A great little find perfect for local exploring.Sights nearby - Hotel du Palais is ideally situated to see the medieval Mikvé baths, as well as the Saint Anne and Saint Pierre CathedralsGreat walks - Wander around Montpellier's old town and stop off for a break in a charming caféLocal markets - Check out the morning food market on Esplanade Charles de GaulleFull of character
Baudon de Mauny 9 rooms from £123Montpellier
Artistic and historic in style, convenient in location and extremely comfortable, Baudon de Mauny – housed in an 18th century building – offers a luxurious and memorable experience.City StyleSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Sawdays, I Escape
Domaine de Biar 5 rooms from £149Montpellier
A stunning country house located on the edge of Montpellier. Lovingly converted throughout, keeping its distinctly French feel, with contemporary architectural touches. Country-style gardens, roaming horses and a gorgeous pool quickly aid relaxation (as does the spa). Thoroughly spoiling.Country Escape - A picture perfect country house complete with roaming horses, ideal for revelling in complete tranquility.Great walks - Lovely walks staring straight from the hotel grounds.Full of characterRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Tablet
Domaine de Verchant 26 rooms from £270Montpellier (Castelnau le Lez)
Luxury spa hotel with superb vineyard views, creative Mediterranean cuisine and fun beach-style area, all just a short drive from Montpellier’s city centre.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Spa breaksSpa - With VIP suite for those wanting a completely private experienceSwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel, Relais & Chateaux