Search the best hotels in Montpellier
One of southern France’s most seductive cities, Montpellier is a beautiful holiday destination. Just 10 kilometres from the Mediterranean Sea and the beach, the city also boasts a plethora of cultural attractions and historic landmarks. With accommodation options ranging from simple B&Bs to gorgeous converted hôtels particuliers, there’s something for all ages, tastes and budgets in the city. Read on to discover our selection of the best places to stay in Montpellier.
Begin your explorations in the Place de la Comédie, home to Europe’s oldest medical school, the impressive Gothic Cathédrale Saint-Pierre and a number of terrific people-watching spots. The Promenade de Peyrou is great for a stroll, with nearby highlights including the Arc de Triomphe and the botanical gardens. Art aficionados will delight in the Musée Fabre’s fantastic collection of European art, featuring pieces by Rubens, Manet, Degas, Delacroix and others.
Family trips to the Parc Zoologique Henri de Lunaret come highly recommended, as do vineyard tours, hikes, cycling trips to coastal Palavas-les-Flots and days out on the water. Many of the best places to stay in Montpellier have fabulous restaurants, refreshing swimming pools and soothing spas, too.
The Best Places to Stay in Montpellier
For a Central B&B
- Hôtel d'Aragon, Montpellier is a short walk from the railway station and the historic city centre. Ideal for visitors in search of a small, characterful B&B for a city break, the hotel has comfortable traditional rooms and offers big breakfasts. Also well-priced.
- Le Mas de Lafeuillade has five cool, retro rooms in a converted 19th-century house near Montpellier's Antigone district. Pick this place for the great interiors, the relaxing gardens and the terrific restaurant. Parisian chef José de Castro and his team offer tantalising dishes which change daily depending on the market's best produce. A wonderful foodie spot with a funky vibe.
- Baudon de Mauny, with its nine indulgent rooms and suites, promises a grand stay for couples. Housed in a 1777-built hôtel particulier, the property has high ceilings, original stone floors and decorative plasterwork, topped off with contemporary furnishings and modern lighting. Expect good breakfasts, a sitting room full of art books, and an excellent honesty bar. Book the whole building for an exclusive party.
- Disini Hotel, set on the outskirts of Montpellier, has family suites as well as rooms for couples. Expect pared-back interiors, Asian art and natural materials in rooms with refreshing garden views. Chef Julien Jacqueton serves delicious cuisine in the acclaimed restaurant, there's a large swimming pool and an inviting spa.
- Hôtel du Palais, Montpellier is a superb central choice for holidays with family and friends. The team are hugely friendly, rooms have additional beds for little ones, and there are a whole array of neighbourhood cafés, restaurants and small boutiques just moments away. Characterful touches reference the hotel's history.
- Domaine de Verchant is a gorgeous spa hotel surrounded by picturesque vineyards. Swish contemporary rooms are set against more traditional exposed wooden beams, the restaurant serves delectable Mediterranean cuisine, and there are three superb swimming pools. A sophisticated choice for guests of all ages, with a fabulous spa.
- Domaine de Biar is a stunning country house on the edge of Montpellier. Glamorous interiors feel very French, with chandeliers and painted panelling, whilst the gardens, swimming pool and spa invite guests to unwind in absolute bliss. A sumptuous luxury choice.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Montpellier Airport and travel into the city by shuttle or taxi. Alternatively, take the high-speed train from Paris in 3 hours and 15 minutes, or from nearby Toulouse and Marseille.
- Coastal Herault is wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Visit between May and September for temperatures ranging from 21°C - 30°C. For fewer crowds and great hotel deals, travel in April or October. Expect the school summer holidays in July and August to be especially busy!
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Béziers.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Herault.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Montpellier
Best Hotels in Montpellier
Disini Hotel Montpellier (34160 Castries) 16 rooms from £75Country Escape - Set in an idyllic and picturesque setting that's wonderfully tranquil.Great walks - 15 minutes away in Montpellier is the Promenade du Peyrou, which, when lit up at night, is perfect for strolling lovers.Sights nearby - 5 miles away is the Chateau du Flaugergues, a well-restored castle, with impressive gardens.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Orient-inspired luxury hotel in rural Languedoc offering 16 exotically furnished rooms and suites, with Asian artefacts with flourishes of African style. Featuring a seasonal outdoor swimming pool, hot tub and spoiling spa. A picturesque and quiet location, ideal for a relaxing rural retreats. See More
Mas de Lafeuillade Montpellier (34000) 5 rooms from £95Business meetings - You can rent out meeting rooms via reception if you're planning a seminar or business meeting. Catering and board provided.Beach Life - Montpellier is only a few km from beaches like the saint-white sands of Grau-du-Roi.Great walks - The hotel is close to the Place de la Comédie, a central plaza with countless shops, cafes and restaurants.Romantic - Good for couples.
Hotel d'Aragon, Montpellier Montpellier 12 rooms from £96Sights nearby - Go see the medieval Mikvé, ancient Jewish baths, or visit Saint Anne and Saint Pierre CathedralsGreat walks - Wander around the old town and stop off for a break in a bustling caféFull of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
Hotel du Palais, Montpellier Montpellier 26 rooms from £97Sights nearby - Hotel du Palais is ideally situated to see the medieval Mikvé baths, as well as the Saint Anne and Saint Pierre CathedralsGreat walks - Wander around Montpellier's old town and stop off for a break in a charming caféLocal markets - Check out the morning food market on Esplanade Charles de GaulleFull of character
An unfussy hotel run by a friendly team and situated in an enviable location surrounded by local neighbourhood cafes, restaurants and small boutiques. Many rooms boast pretty balconies overlooking the city and there are good family options. A great little find perfect for local exploring. See More
Baudon de Mauny Montpellier 9 rooms from £121City StyleLocal markets - Good for local colour.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.BoutiqueRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Sawdays, I Escape
Domaine de Biar Montpellier 12 rooms from £173Country Escape - A picture perfect country house complete with roaming horses, ideal for revelling in complete tranquility.Great walks - Lovely walks staring straight from the hotel grounds.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolFull of characterRecommended by - Tablet
A stunning country house located on the edge of Montpellier. Lovingly converted throughout, keeping its distinctly French feel, with contemporary architectural touches. Slow-food restaurant, country-style gardens, roaming horses and a gorgeous pool quickly aid relaxation. Thoroughly spoiling. See More
Domaine de Verchant Montpellier (Castelnau le Lez) 26 rooms from £267Spa breaks - The huge spa offers indoor pool with countercurrent swim system, gym, experience shower, hot tub, Turkish bath, saunas & more.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Spa - With VIP suite for those wanting a completely private experienceSwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel, Relais & Chateaux