Search the best hotels in Pyrenees-Orientales
The Pyrénées-Orientales region has a landscape as diverse as its history. Bordering Northern Catalonia, it sweeps from the high peaks of the Pyrenees, through sunny foothills dotted with vines, to medieval walled towns and the glittering Mediterranean Sea. Once the centre of Cathar revolt, and with close ties to both Spain and France, the area has a distinct identity — and terrific Catalan cuisine. Whether you’re dreaming of a restful farmhouse B&B or a gorgeous coastal hotel, the best places to stay in the Pyrénées-Orientales promise a fascinating flavour of a very special part of France.
Sunny and clement throughout the year, the area is ideal for hiking, through the rolling hills of Cerdanya, the verdant valleys of the Cathars and the towering peaks of the Pyrenees. Picturesque medieval villages — such as Castelnou, Villefrance-de-Conflet or Céret — dot the countryside, whilst the palm-shaded squares and intriguing museums of the buzzy little city of Perpignan are perfect for summer strolls. For beach breaks, venture to the beautiful Vermillion Coast, where towns such as Collioure and Saint Cyprien have long inspired artists. The birthplace of Fauvism, Collioure has a particularly brilliant Modern Art Museum, as well as older highlights — such as the seaside Château Royale and the Fort Saint Elme. Like family-friendly Saint Cyprien, it’s a top spot for sailing, wind surfing, kayaking and fishing trips.
If you have time, we’d suggest combining a stop in Perpignan with a few nights amidst the vineyards or the coast during your trip. The best places to stay in the Pyrénées-Orientales await!
The Best Places to Stay in the Pyrénées-Orientales
FOR A Charming B&B
- Le Mas Trilles is a charming 14th-century sandstone farmhouse close to Céret. Secluded and surrounded by verdant gardens, this is a relaxed B&B choice for couples, friends or families, who can book individually designed traditional rooms, some of which have space for little ones. Expect striking terraces, a large swimming pool and beautiful views. Very restful.
- Château d'Ortaffa was once a bishop's home. It now offers antique-filled rooms and a great location for exploring nearby Cathar castles. A great B&B for history buffs.
- L'Hostalet has five characterful guestrooms overlooking a historic square in Argelès-sur-Mer. Tuck in to big breakfasts before exploring the town on foot, or heading to the beach. Restful, tranquil and intimate, this is a lovely B&B for couples, friends or independent travellers.
- Clos des Aspres is a family-run B&B set in a Catalan-style farmhouse. Surrounded by vineyards and boasting its own swimming pool, this is a lovely choice for an outdoorsy break. Rooms are decorated in warm tones, and beds topped with cosy linen bedspreads.
- Casa9 Hôtel offers nine chic, monochromatic rooms in a stone mas dating back to the 11th Century. A swimming pool, lush gardens and indulgent breakfasts complete the picture. A laid-back and intimate rural retreat for romantics and fans of great design.
- Castell de Blés is an elegant rural B&B with five rooms in a restored mansion close to Saint-Genis-des-Fontaines. Expect large bucolic gardens, a swimming pool, riverside strolls and a big suite for families.
FOR Art & History Buffs
- Hôtel Les Templiers is a Collioure gem. Owned by the same family for almost a century, this charming hotel has the feel of an eclectic private art gallery, with pieces by the early 20th-century artists who came to be inspired by this corner of the Vemillion Coast. Choose an elegant room in the original hotel — just 50m from the sea — for heaps of quirky character, or book the apartment for a family trip. The restaurant is not to be missed, and the owners are fascinating.
- Les Bulles de Mer is a chic, family-friendly beach hotel with an airy, bohemian feel in Saint-Cyprien. Choose spacious rooms clad in shades of blue and white, with private alcove spaces for little ones or two adjoining rooms if travelling as a family. Gather at the bar or swimming pool after days of cycling, paddle boarding and yoga. There's a soothing spa, too.
- La Fauceille is a friendly choice for families, with 35 modern rooms and suites set around a courtyard swimming pool and garden. There's a gym, a very good restaurant, and a relaxed atmosphere. Just south of Perpignan, the hotel is ideal for city explorations as well as active days in the countryside with older children.
- Hôtel Le Cottage has 34 rooms and suites, many with flexible, family-friendly configurations. Expect bright textiles and private terraces, as well as shared access to a bar, lounge, swimming pool, gym and spa. Partnerships with local activity operators make organising everything from canyoning to windsurfing easy. A family favourite in Céret.
- Relais des Trois Mas is a chic coastal spot on the southern side of Collioure's bay. Airy, contemporary rooms and suites have private terraces with ocean views, there's a great swimming pool and direct access to a pebble beach. The highlight, however, is Chef Laurent Lemal's Le Balette Restaurant, awarded a Michelin star for its creative flavours. Seven-course 'Curiosité' is a lunchtime favourite.
- Riberach is an ultra-modern hotel set beneath the medieval Bélesta Castle. Contemporary rooms have artsy flourishes; there's a gourmet French restaurant, a trendy bar, sun-terrace and swimming pool. Surrounded by vines, this is a luxurious bolthole for foodies and romantics. Speak to the restaurant team about wine pairings and seasonal dishes — their selection is superb.
- Château de Riell is a beautiful luxury hotel overlooking Mount Canigou. Expect sumputous rooms and suites with beamed ceilings and gorgeous textiles. There's an excellent, hacienda-style restaurant, as well as a superb spa, swimming pool, hot spring bath and Baroque folly in the gardens. Served on Sundays at lunchtime, the "Retour de Marché" menu showcases local producers and is a real highlight.
- Hôtel & Spa Les Mouettes, on the dramatic Vermillion Coast, promises superb ocean views. Set between Argelès-sur-Mer and Collioure, this luxurious hotel has modern rooms and suites, a swimming pool, snack bar and spa with hammam, hot tub and wide range of massage treatments. Families are welcome, but this is a chic choice for a romantic escape.
- La Villa Duflot is a romantic oasis on the edge of Perpignan. You'll find 52 stylish, Art Deco-inspired rooms and suites with bold terracotta tones set within leafy gardens. Many rooms have private terraces, plus there's a fabulous swimming pool, alfresco restaurant and a soothing Nuxe spa. Event spaces make this a great wedding venue, too. A vibrant couples' choice.
- Le Relais des Chartreuses is a chic 17th-century stone farmhouse conversion near Le Boulou, with airy, contemporary interiors featuring white-on-white decor in attractive rooms and suites. Highlights include a swimming pool, verdant gardens and a great restaurant. Elegant and intimate.
- La Casa Païral is a historic, family-run hotel, tucked within a gorgeous 1870-built townhouse. Unwind in splendid gardens with a refreshing pool, or retreat to rooms filled with vintage finds and family heirlooms. A charming, indulgent choice for discovering the magic of Collioure as a couple.
- Mas Latour Lavail has superb rooms and suites in a restored Catalan farmhouse set amidst vineyards. Interiors blend traditional charm with striking modern design. Owned by a winemaker, this is a top spot for those looking to taste the fruits of the region before kicking back by the pool or enjoying rural walks. Stylish and romantic.
FOR AN ISLAND ESCAPE
- Hôtel Ile de la Lagune is a swish little hotel on its own island in glossy St Cyprien's lagoon. Step beyond the hotel's pale-pink façade for cool, 1950s-inspired spaces, including a trendy cocktail lounge, two restaurants and indulgent rooms with private terraces, big tubs and lagoon views. Throw in a seawater pool, exceptional Carita spa, two restaurants and a private beach, and you won't want to leave.
For Great Value
- Hôtel De La Loge sits in a 16th century building opposite Perpignan's town hall. Expect Art Deco-inspired interiors, family rooms for those travelling with little ones, and classic white-on-white decor. Some rooms have balconies and free-standing bathtubs. Close to all the main sights, this is an affordable choice for culture vultures and keen on-foot explorers.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Perpignan Airport and journey to your destination by car or shuttle bus. Visitors from regional hubs — such as Paris, Toulouse or Marseille — can travel to Perpignan by train, and on to smaller town stations, such as Argelès-sur-Mer or Collioure.
- The Pyrénées-Orientales region is wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Visit between May and September for temperatures ranging from 22°C - 30°C, but do be aware that this is also peak season. For fewer crowds, great hotel deals and cooler temperatures, travel in April or October.
Still not sure?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Perpignan.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in nearby Aude.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Pyrenees-Orientales
Best Hotels in Pyrenees-Orientales
Hotel De La Loge Perpignan 22 rooms from £51Local exploring - A well priced gem of a property located in the heart of the historic centre.Local markets - Wander through the narrow alleys of the Arab and Romany quarter packed full of trinkets and food stalls.Sights nearby - Visit the impressive Palais des Rois de Majorque dating back to 1276.Full of character
Hôtel Le Cottage Argelès-sur-Mer 33 rooms from £69Sights nearby - Enjoy a daytrip to Collioures just down the coast, or spend some time exploring PerpignanSpa - With hydrotherapy pool, range of facial and body treatments, and sensory showersDiving - Enjoy a diving trip in the Banyuls Marine reserveSwimming Pool - Large outdoor heated pool
Located in the authentic, quiet catalan coastal town of Argeles-sur-Mer, Le Cottage boasts some beautiful sandy beaches only 5 minutes away. Rooms and suites with plenty of options for families. Excellent sps for relaxing and large outdoor pool. A charming base for a family holiday. See More
L'Hostalet Argelès-sur-Mer 5 rooms from £71Local exploring - Right in the beating heart of historic Argelès-sur-Mer, facing the town square where a market is held twice a week.Local markets - Browse the bi-weekly market just outside the hotel's front door.Sights nearby - Take a day trip to Perpignan, less than ten miles away.Restrictions on children - Adults only.
An excellent hotel right in the heart of Argelès-sur-Mer. The comfortable rooms are simply decorated and fixed with antique furniture. With the bustling streets of the town on the doorstep, it's perfect for exploring the seaside town. A great low-cost option for Argelès-sur-Mer. See More
Castell de Blés Saint-Genis-des-Fontaines, Pyrenees-Orientales 5 rooms from £73Families - The hotel offers a spacious family suite which can accommodate children, as well as babysitting services and a games roomHideaway - Set outside of the town in verdant private grounds, choose this hotel for your next hideaway holiday in southern FranceLocal exploring - Located a short drive from Perpignan and Argeles Beach, there is plenty to explore locallyFishing - An idyllic river borders the B&B, offering great fishing opportunities a stone's throw away; ask your hosts for equipmentRecommended by -
This elegant B&B occupies a mansion in the former wine sector just outside of Saint Genis des Fontaines. The property has been lovingly restored; inside, an original wooden staircase leads to well-appointed suites. Outside, wander through the orchards and along the river in the bucolic B&B grounds. See More
Le Relais des Chartreuses Le Boulou 14 rooms from £76Restaurant - Savour local specialities either on the terrace or in the dining room.Spa - Treatments available in the "Care House" in the gardens.Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Sawdays
La Fauceille Perpignan 35 rooms from £78Restaurant - Recommended by the Michelin guide and Gault MillauSwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
Le Mas Trilles Ceret (Languedoc Roussillon) 10 rooms from £82Sights nearby - Ceret's Museum of Modern Art is a must seeSwimming Pool - Heated outdoor poolTraditionalFull of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
Hotel Les Templiers, Collioure Collioure 20 rooms from £85Value chic - A super cool hotel filled with original artworks and spectacular views of the castle and the harbour- at a reasonable price.Families - It's perfect for a family holiday, just two minutes from the beach and with excellent multi-person rooms.Sailing - The perfect pit stop for a sailing trip around the Catalan coastline.Sights nearby - Explore the characterful Catalan fishing village of Collioure.
Relais des Trois Mas Collioure 23 rooms from £87Local exploring - Set within walking distance of the harbour and the artistic town centre, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringRomantic Break - The charming suites at this hotel are great for a couples' getaway; book a romantic al fresco dinner at the restaurantBeach Life - With a swimming pool and hot tub that overlook the Mediterranean, book this hotel for a picturesque seaside getawaySights nearby - Take a day trip to Cadaques, a village on the coast renowned for its fishing culture and as the former home of Salvador Dalí
This four-star hotel is set under the shade of pine trees on the banks of the Mediterranean in Collioure. The traditional, terracotta-tiled property offers simple yet elegant guestrooms with sea views. Unwind by the pool on the hotel's seafront terrace or take the stairs down to the pebble beach. See More
Riberach Ille-sur-Têt 18 rooms from £105Romantic Break - Set beneath the medieval Bélesta Castle, with wine tasting, balloon rides, vineyard walks and picnicsSights nearby - Short drive to historic city of Perpignan's sights and attractions, including the Cathar castlesCooking classes - In hotel restaurant kitchen, catered to your needsViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Michelin Travel
A romantic hotel surrounded by vineyards. Contemporary rooms with views, big bathrooms and artistic touches. A gourmet restaurant, sleek bar, sunny terrace and outdoor pool with sun deck area. Surrounded by hillsides and stunning views. A great choice for a romantic break. See More
Hotel Les Elmes Banyuls-sur-Mer (Pyrenees-Orientales) 33 rooms from £93Local exploring - Banyuls and the surrounding area — both coastal and inland — is relatively unspoiltFamilies - Family friendly (some rooms can sleep up to four), with the beach nearbyBeach Life - It's across the road!Restaurant - Le Casot serves 'Mediterranean colours and flavours' overlooking the sea
A family-friendly seaside hotel with beach access. Simply decorated, bright and functional modern rooms, some with sea views and sit-out balconies. There's a small pool and a decent restaurant, but best of all is the direct beach access just across a small road. A fun bucket and spade option. See More
La Casa Païral Collioure 27 rooms from £95Local exploring - With the picturesque town centre and port within easy walking distance, there is plenty to explore local to this hotelHideaway - Nestled in a secret garden set back from the port, this hotel makes a great hideaway holiday destinationRomantic Break - The romantic setting of this hotel makes it a great choice for a tranquil couples' getawayLocal markets - Wander the cobbled streets of the town centre and discover local markets selling everything from fresh produce to artwork
This family-run townhouse hotel is nestled in Collioure. Set in splendid gardens with a large pool, the hotel offers beautifully appointed, country-style guestrooms peppered with family heirlooms. Start the day with breakfast on the magnolia-shaded terrace before a stroll to the port. See More
Chateau d'Ortaffa Pyrenees-Orientales 4 rooms from £95Beach Life - Only 10km from Collioure, which is famous for its pristine, white-sand beaches.Sights nearby - There are many Cathar castles in the nearby area, many of which you can explore by trekking deep into the mountains.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Outstanding locationRecommended by -
An elegant B&B and former mansion of local bishops in rural Languedoc. Rooms are unique and ornate, balancing homespun, rustic charm with modern sensibilities. The house is filled with antique furniture and artworks. A great location for exploring the nearby Cathar mountaintop castles. See More
Auberge Du Roua Argelès-sur-Mer (Pyrenees-Orientales) 20 rooms from £100Local exploring - It's a lovely area to explore, both for coast and inland, less visited than mostTotal relaxation - It's a quiet and relaxing place to stayRestaurant - The restaurant is independently owned but well respected locally. It serves Mediterranean cuisineGreat walks - There are several mountain trails that start straight from the door
A 17th-century Catalan country house hotel with magnificent vineyard and mountain views. The ancient stone-walled rooms are spacious, light and contemporary in decor, guests eat out on the terrace (the restaurant is excellent), and there's a relaxing pool in a large garden with shady trees. See More
Clos des Aspres Ortaffa, Pyrenees-Orientales 5 rooms from £104Hideaway - With a secluded location, spacious suites and a pool, pick this hotel for a tranquil hideaway holidayCountry Escape - Set amidst the beautiful vineyards of Ortaffa, this hotel makes an idyllic escape to the countrysideRomantic Break - Stylish suites with commanding vineyard views make this B&B perfect for a romantic getawaySights nearby - Visit the nearby priory of Serrabone, renowned as a masterpiece of Roman architecture
This B&B is set in an authentic Catalan-style farmhouse surrounded by vineyards in southern France. Interiors are spacious and cool, blending Mediterranean details with homely soft furnishings. Start the day with breakfast on the terrace before a dip in the pool. A tranquil country retreat. See More
Grand Hotel Du Golfe Argelès-sur-Mer (Pyrenees-Orientales) 36 rooms from £124Local exploring - Easy access to both Argeles sur Mer and Collioure, plus the beautiful inland countrysideFoodies - The gastronomic restaurant has a good reputation and serves Mediterranean cuisineSwimming Pool - The 19m heated outdoor pool is large enough for fitness fanatics (open March to November)Spa - The spa offers a good range of treatments, and there's a hot tub and hammam
Contemporary coastal hotel with fine views, a large pool and a gastronomic restaurant 10 minutes from Argeles sur Mer. Room decor is modern, light, bright and elegant, with large glass windows and sliding doors giving onto balconies for sea views. Standard rooms are small. A quiet oasis. See More
Hotel & Spa Les Mouettes Argelès-sur-Mer (Argelès-sur-Mer, 66700) 17 rooms from £112Spa breaks - The hotel has a steam room, indoor and outdoor hot tubs, an outdoor pool and a range of massage and beauty treatments.Beach Life - A 5 minute walk from the beach, this hotel is ideal for those wanting to bask in the sun with a martini in hand.Sailing - You can hire boats nearby.Views - Great views from hotel
Casa9 Hôtel Ille-sur-Têt 9 rooms from £113Country Escape - Nestled into the beautiful Languedoc-Roussillon countryside, it's perfect for a catalan country getaway.Sights nearby - Explore the Canigou ('holy mountain') with the stunning Abbey of Saint Michel de Cuxa and magnificent Saint Martin du Canigou.Great walks - Explore the beautiful walking trails and paths through the surrounding Languedoc-Roussillon countryside.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
A sumptuous boutique hotel burrowed into the heart of the Languedoc-Roussillon countryside. The stylish and comfortable rooms are set in stunning stone buildings dating back to the 11th century. Luxuriate by the heavenly pool or take a stroll through the surrounding countryside. A Catalan charmer. See More
La Villa Duflot Perpignan 25 rooms from £119Romantic Break - Stylish art deco rooms hark back to a bygone era - a classic romantic stay for two.Local markets - Browse the markets of Perpignan and pick up some of the beautiful local produce.Sights nearby - Explore Perpignan's historic old town on foot, a great days activity.Secluded setting - For escaping.
With its secluded city setting, La Villa Duflot is something of an oasis. Rooms are decorated in a bright modern style and all with terrace or balcony. Borrow a hotel bike for the day or simply relax by the inviting pool. Dine al fresco on delicious locally sourced dishes. See More
Mas Latour Lavail Perpignan 5 rooms from £134Country Escape - A chic rural abode surrounded by vineyards. An oasis of calm.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.Romantic - Good for couples.Secluded setting - For escaping.
Hotel Ile de la Lagune Saint Cyprien 24 rooms from £160Restaurant - L'Aquarama for light lunches Mediterranean style and L'Almandin for gourmet dinners.Spa - Thalasso Spa with nine treatment rooms and wonderful views over the lagoon.Views - Over the lagoon and the MediterraneanSailing - Sailing school on local beach
Luxury private island hotel right on the Mediterranean. Spacious rooms and suites, a choice of restaurants, private pool, thalasso spa and luscious tropical gardens. Accommodation is contemporary in style: dark wood floors contrast with white and pastel furnishings to create cool airy spaces. See More
Les Roches Brunes Collioure (Pyrenees-Orientales) 18 rooms from £148Romantic Break - A great option for couples — quiet and relaxing though not luxurious and with a great onsite restaurantBeach Life - In addition to the rocky sea bathing beneath the hotel, there are good beaches a short walk awayViews - Great sea views from every roomRestaurant - They have an excllent restaurant, serving French food with an Italian twist
Delightful and minimalist seaside hotel in a romantic cliff-side location with great views overlooking the Baie de Collioure. Cosy (read small) rooms, simply decorated, all with balconies or terraces, and an excellent restaurant. Outside, there's plenty of space for sunning, reading and swimming. See More
Les Bulles de Mer Saint Cyprien 26 rooms from £154Beach Life - Right on the beach, the perfect spot to soak up the sea breeze and take long coastal walksFamilies - With family suites, a kids pool and games this is the perfect spot for all the familySpa breaks - An extensive spa offering yoga, massages, wellness packages, a steam room and saunaGreat walks - Take a hatha yoga class held on the beach
A chic bohemian hotel set directly on a beautiful stretch of beach. Light and spacious rooms have a nautical feel and breathtaking sea views. Boasting an extensive spa, two outdoor pools and a restaurant offering sumptuous local cuisine. The perfect place to come and simply unwind. See More
Le Grand Hotel les Flamants Roses Canet-en-Roussillon (Pyrenees-Orientales) 63 rooms from £167Spa breaks - Total relaxation guaranteed, enjoy a plunge in a refreshing heated seawater pools after a rejuvinating massageFoodies - L’Horizon restaurant serves fresh, seasonal French cuisine with Mediterranean flavours overlooking the seaBeach Life - Enjoy the beach on your doorstep, relax on a sun lounger or make the most of the watersports it offersBoutique - Rooms feature vibrant wallpapers, contemporary furnishings and marble bathrooms, along with a chic seating area and sea views
A charming hotel just moments from the beach. Stylish rooms with chic decor, pastel colours and sophisticated bathrooms all with private balconies, the best with sea views. Plus a spoiling spa, indoor and outdoor pools and a gourmet restaurant serving delightful French cuisine. Seaside bliss. See More
Chateau de Riell Molitg les Bains (Molitg) 19 rooms from £200Country Escape - Enjoy the peace of the gardens and rejuvination of the thermal spaRomantic BreakRestaurant - Restaurant serving local lamb and seafoodSwimming Pool - Rooftop pool and outdoor poolRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Chateau overlooking Mount Canigou. Room interiors are rustic chic with parquet floors, exposed brick work and large bathrooms. A baroque folly with outdoor pool, garden, spa, sauna and hot spring bath. Great Pyrenean menu in ambient dining room. Superb choice for spa weekend. See More