Search the best hotels in Strasbourg
The Alsace region, and Strasbourg particularly, borrows the best bits from its close neighbours the Germans, while still feeling very French. Here you'll find warming Christmas markets, cosy winstubs (pubs) and Bavarian-style timbered houses, but also a grand Gothic cathedral beloved by Victor Hugo, a quintessentially French canal and a medieval hospital with a wine cellar to rival that of a palace. The city is compact and most of the best places to stay in Strasbourg are close to all the major attractions.
What To Expect
Strasbourg's Grande Île, the old town centre, is packed with so much unique Alsatian charm that it was the first city centre to be Heritage Listed by UNESCO - in its entirety. This is where you'll find the grand Cathedral, with its 142-metre tower, the highest cathedral tower in France. Inside is the Astrometric Clock, a 300 year old working marvel. The Grande Île is also where you'll find the Palais des Rohan, a beautiful palace now home to the Museum of Fine Arts and the Archaeological Museum, the Baroque Opera House and the Alsatian Museum. What's more, its squares and narrow streets are pleasantly lined with cafes, bars and restaurants.
Just south of the Grande Île, between the two rivers, is La Petite France, and this is another particularly photogenic part of town, packed with half-timbered gems on narrow streets. These treasures are partly why Strasbourg appeals to so many travellers, so if you visit in summer, or during any of the festivals - and Strasbourg hosts a lot of festivals, be prepared for the day-tripping crowds. Strasbourg is at its most beautiful in the morning and in lantern-lit-evenings, so you'll be pleased if you do stay for more than just the day.
Of course modern Strasbourg is probably most famous for the role it plays within the EU, as the shared seat of the European Parliament, and home of the European Court of Human Rights as well as the Council of Europe. This might make it sound like a dry destination for visitors, but it's meant this city has received generous investment. And this, plus Strasbourg's vibrant student life, actually makes it feel younger - more lively, more relevant - rather than just being a pretty blend of the best of French and German tastes and flavours!
What Not To Miss
- The 13th-century Cathedrale Notre Dame is a huge and impressive example of Gothic architecture. Taking 400 years to build and brimming with statues, glorious stained glass windows and an astronomical clock representing the four stages of life, it's a breathtaking spot. Walk the 300 steps up to the top of the bell tower and marvel at the stunning views.
- The Musee Historique de la Ville de Strasbourg is a wonderfully informative place to visit, elucidating every detail of the city's rich history. With audio guides in English and interactive exhibitions, it's a great way to spend the afternoon.
- Wander through the picturesque and historic La Petite France neighbourhood, filled with cobblestone streets, 16th-century buildings and lovely restaurants.
- Enjoy a picnic in the Parc de L'Orangerie - complete with a boating lake, waterfall and even a small zoo that the kids will enjoy.
But don't forget that this city is a busy year round destination for leisure and business travellers. So if you want to ensure a room in one of the best places to stay in Strasbourg, don't leave it till the last minute, you may well be disappointed!
For a City Break
- The Regent Petite France actually sits on top of the river, which flows underneath it. As well as creating excellent, and unique views, this hotel is also very popular for their state-of-the-art spa.
- Hotel D boasts spacious contemporary accommodation bang in the centre of Strasbourg. With a gym and a sauna as well, this is a great base from which to explore the city.
- Hotel Villa d'Est offers chic, individually decorated rooms right around the corner from the city's sights. Come back to enjoy a drink in the cosy bar or treat yourself to a massage.
- Le Loft 13 is a luxurious B&B oozing charm. Their eclectic rooms offer lovely views of the city, and it boasts a fantastically central location.
- Situated just minutes from the main sights in the La Petite France district, Le Bouclier D'Or is a dreamy stay - with chic rooms featuring antique furnishings and exposed wooden beams. Unwind in the spa after a day out exploring.
For Design Chic
- The Cour du Corbeau occupies a beautiful Louis XV building, but it's just a facade, the interiors are contemporary, yet classic, and all about unfussy comfort.
- Hotel Les Haras expertly combines old with new, set in an 18th-century heritage building and boasting sleek, minimalist contemporary accommodation. Plus, there's an excellent brasserie and it's wonderfully centrally located.
- Du Cote De Chez Anne is a wonderfully charming spot, set in a traditional Alsatian building but providing chic boutique rooms with original wooden beams. Enjoy delicious regional cuisine in the restaurant.
- Foodies might prefer Michelin recommended Chut Hotel Restaurant, which also has rooms and a lovely sitting room and stone courtyard. Great for a gourmet stop-over.
For Great Value
- Book a room at the Regent Contades for excellent value. They have four star facilities yet rooms start from only €99 per night.
- Hotel Hannong is superbly located in the city's centre, offering lovely rooms from just €86 per night. Come back after a day out sightseeing to relax on the rooftop terrace and enjoy a tipple.
For An Apartment
- If you've decided that a self-catering option would best suit your needs then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Strasbourg's weather is at its best in the summer months, with the average temperature climbing to 20°C in August. This however is peak season so accommodation will be pricer at this time. Those wanting to experience the Christmas markets will obviously need to book in November or December.
- If you want to avoid the crowds of fellow tourists but still enjoy the weather then perhaps visiting in May or September are good bets. Accommodation will be cheaper and with the average temperature around 16°C, it's still perfectly pleasant.
- International visitors can fly into Strasbourg Airport. Ryanair offer direct flights from Stansted, taking around 1hr 30 minutes.
- From the airport, hop on a train to the city centre which gets you there within 10 minutes.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse though our list of all the best places to stay in Strasbourg.
- Widen the net to include our recommendations of all the best places to stay in Alsace.
- Or, feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Strasbourg
Best Hotels in Strasbourg
Hotel Hannong Strasbourg 72 rooms from £74City Style - Chic rooms, close to tram and train stations and the picturesque "La petite France" district to stroll through cobbled streetsSights nearby - European Parliament Building is 3km awayDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Great walks - Good for walkers.
Hotel Beaucour Strasbourg 49 rooms from £84Cooking classes - Check for timings.Local markets - Good for local colour.Full of characterFour poster beds - For romantics.
The Beaucour is the perfect base from which to explore Strasbourg. Rooms and suites are a charming blend of traditional and contemprorary with period beamed ceilings for added atmosphere. No restaurant but plenty within walking distance. A central family friendly city base. See More
Regent Contades Strasbourg 48 rooms from £86Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.TraditionalLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
Hotel D Strasbourg 37 rooms from £87Sights nearby - Go visit the National Rhine Opera, the Rhine Palace or the Catholic Church Saint Pierre le JeuneLocal markets - Only a few minutes walk away from the Christmas marketQuirky - An experience!
Situated in central Strasbourg, Hotel D is a perfect base to explore the city from, with the local sites only a short walk away. Spacious, modern rooms and suites decorated in neutral palettes with splashes of colour and luxury accessories. Plus fitness centre & sauna. Ideal for business or pleasure See More
Chut Hotel Restaurant Strasbourg 8 rooms from £95Foodies - Michelin recommeneded restaurant.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Local markets - Good for local colour.
Hotel Villa d'Est Strasbourg 46 rooms from £123Local exploring - Located just a few minutes from the centre of Strasbourg, placing most of the attractions within walking distance.Sailing - Set out on a river boat tour and discover the discover the Vauban fortifications and historic bridges.Great walks - Amble around the pedestrianised UNESCO heritage sight city centre.Local markets - The famed Christmas market is not to be missed during December.
A charming french property well located in the heart of Strasbourg. Individually styled rooms feature pretty fabrics, elegant furniture and floor to ceiling windows. Sample regional beverages in the cosy fire-lit bar. After a day treading the streets unwind over a massage or in the sauna. Chic. See More
Hotel les Haras Strasbourg 55 rooms from £123City Style - A chic hotel that perfectly marries old and new with a excellent brasserie by chef Marc Haeberlin.Local exploring - Set in the heart of the picturesque Petit France, it's perfect for exploring Strasbourg.Sights nearby - Within the 'Petite France' and ten minutes walk from Strasbourg Cathedral.Local markets - In the winter, explore Strasbourg's famous christmas markets.
A glorious 18th century heritage building, in the heart of Strasbourg. The contemporary rooms are sleek and minimalist, with many still showcasing the buildings original wooden beaming. Central location and excellent conference facilities make it great for business meetings. See More
Du Cote de Chez Anne Strasbourg 5 rooms from £129Country Escape - A secluded and intimate romantic country retreat with a spectacular market fresh restaurant and a lovely garden.Local exploring - The perfect launchpad for exploring both Strasbourg and the surrounding Alsatian countryside.Sights nearby - Only two miles away from Strasbourg city centre, make day trips to explore Alsace's capital.Great walks - Make the most of the beautiful walking in the surrounding parkland.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
Awash with Alsatian charm, Du Cote de Chez Anne is a delightful hotel on the outskirts of Strasbourg. The cosy, boutique rooms are individually decorated and reflect the rich hunting culture of Alsace. After a day of exploring the city, sample delicious regional cuisine in the hotel's restaurant. See More
Le Loft 13 Strasbourg 5 rooms from £130City Style - An uber chic choice in central Strasbourg, with a leafy roofterrace, spacious suites and knockout views.Local markets - Winter visitors will love browsing Strasbourg's famous christmas markets.Sights nearby - Strasbourg Cathedral is just a ten minute walk away.Recommended by - Sawdays
A luxurious B&B in the centre of Strasbourg. Set in a 8th floor loft, this guesthouse is home to five bedrooms with two shared bathrooms. The unique and eclectic rooms afford great views out over the rooftops of the city. A great launchpad for a weekend in Alsace's capital. See More
Regent Petite France Strasbourg 72 rooms from £139Spa breaksCity StyleRomantic Break5* Luxury - Very high service standards.
Le Bouclier d'Or Strasbourg 22 rooms from £150Local exploring - An ideal location for a weekend in Strasbourg, within walking distance of the main sights of the Old Town.Total relaxation - Relax and unwind after a day exploring the city in the wine bar or spa.Sights nearby - The hotel is located in the historic 'Petite France' district of Strasbourg.Local markets - In the winter, explore the famous Alsatian christmas markets.
This glorious hotel is situated in the historic La Petite France district of Strasbourg. Rooms are notably antique chic with beautiful individually selected furniture and its spa is perfect for a relaxing detox. Beautifully positioned to explore the rich culture of the Alsatian capital. See More
Cour du Corbeau Strasbourg 57 rooms from £234Lively - Hip and happening.Local markets - Good for local colour.TraditionalRecommended by - Tablet