Search the best hotels in Tignes
Tignes is a compact, purpose built ski resort with a reputation for excellent snow coverage and spectacular views of the surrounding alps. The views are one of the reasons Tignes is popular in summer as well as winter, and many of the best places to stay in Tignes are open for the hiking, biking and climbing season as well as the ski season.
Tignes lies in the Savoie department of France’s Rhone-Alpes region and next to Val d’Isere (the two resorts form the Espace-Killy ski area with around 300kms worth of piste and around 80 lifts), but It 's really an amalgamation of five smaller villages.
The resort of Tignes, which was established in the 1960’s, emerged after the original village was lost under water with the building of a hydroelectric dam in 1952. Every ten years the reservoir is drained and the old town reappears.
The village has been built on a beautiful mountain plateau and you can get to the slopes easily from the village level ski lifts. It also boasts a super fast funicular railway which stretches 4.2 kilometres and is the fourth largest in the world (it gives skiers direct access to the glacier pistes). The ski lifts go up to 3,500 metres onto the Glacier Grande Motte enabling year round skiing.
Lower down the mountain is Le Lavachet, which is slightly cheaper and linked to the lifts by a free bus. Then further down are Tignes Les Boisses and Tignes Les Brévières, which are linked to the main ski area by their own lifts.
What Not To Miss
- The skiing! With no shortage of runs to suit snow sports enthusiasts of all interests and levels - the skiing and snowboarding here doesn't disappoint.
- Tignes even has a summer skiing season between late June and early August, when the Grand Motte glacier is opened.
- Tignes isn’t particulary well known for après-ski, but there are numerous bars and restaurants, most of them are in Tignes Le Lac.
Remember that if you're planning to visit during the peak New Year and February half term dates, the best places to stay in Tignes will be heaving. So if you want to guarantee a room, either book well ahead or come when it's quieter!
The best places to stay in Tignes
For direct access to the slopes
- Le Taos is a luxurious, 54 room hotel with a surprisingly New Mexican look, considering it’s in the heart of the French Alps. Suites and rooms are cosy, with Santa Fe rugs and American artwork. But more importantly there’s excellent skiing right on the doorstep. The views are pretty spectacular as well.
Out of town
- Chalet Colinn is in an exceptionally beautiful spot, just down the hill from Val d’Isère or across the lake from Tignes. There are just five rooms, so this is an ideal property to book out, or a private place to bring someone special.
For an apartment or chalet
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday - don't hesitate to visit our online partner, Booking.com for a diverse selection of properties ideal for making the most of the mountains.
- Fly to Geneva Airport located 223km (138 miles) from Tignes with a wide range of flights across Europe.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the mountains - click here for prices and booking with our online partner, Rental Cars.
- Best time to visit - for skiers, December to April typically offers good snow for skiing - alternatively the summer months of July and August are good for hiking and mountain biking.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Tignes for you?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Tignes,
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Val d’Isère,
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Tignes
Best Hotels in Tignes
Les Suites du Montana 73320 Tignes 5 rooms from £312Active Holiday - At the foot of the Alps, perfect for either hiking or skiingSwimming Pool - Heated indoor poolAirport transferRemote - Off the beaten track.
5 star accommodation at the foot of the slopes of Tignes. Interiors have a warm, rustic feel, that ski-cabin look, just with some serious luxury added. Offering easy access to the slopes, a spoiling spa, ski lockers and a gourmet restaurant. All the ingredients for a perfect mountain break. See More
Le Taos Tignes 54 rooms from £320Romantic Break - Experience the romance of a New Mexico themed hotel, with pampering spa and fantastic food.Active Holiday - An excellent place to stay for skiing, mountain biking and walking holidays.Great walks - Stunning walk trails through the nearby Tarentaise Valley, famed for its scenery and picturesque hamlets.Birdwatching - This area heaves with birdlife, bring your binoculars and see what you can spot.
Luxury alpine hotel with a New Mexico twist. Designed for comfort and relaxation, its suites are made cosy by its Santa Fe rugs and Americana artwork. With excellent skiing on the doorstep, its ideal for a romantic skiing break. No wonder it was nominated for World Best New Ski Hotel 2016. See More