Search the best hotels in Val d'Isère
About Val d'Isère
Val d’Isère is one of the most celebrated ski resorts in the Alps, and with over 150km of skiing, it attracts a sporty crowd. Our selection of the best places to stay in Val d'Isère should satisfy all tastes and budgets from the five star stalwart that is Le Blizzard to La Galise, a great value property in the centre of town.
Together, with the higher altitude Tignes, they make up L’Espace Killy with 90 lifts, 186 miles of marked trails, two snowboard parks and acres of challenging off-piste terrain. Beginners can opt for the confidence-building bunny hills in the Solaise area and experts have plenty of challenging steep slopes to tackle, including the 1992 Olympic downhill course, La Face.
If you’re expecting a charming, quaint Alpine ski resort, Val d’Isère will not deliver; like many French resorts it’s mostly modern, some of it ugly, although the town centre has style and appeal.
What you will find, in high season, are plenty of British teenagers, all cruising the ‘Kings Road of the Alps’ and partying with the chalet workers mid-afternoon at fun-filled hotspot La Folie Douce.
Not surprisingly, the nightlife is very lively, with après ski centres around addresses that include Café Face, Bananas, Le Petit Danois, the Pacific Bar, Doudoune, and the Moris Pub. Dick’s Tea Bar, once the most celebrated nightclub in the Alps, is now just one of many; nowadays many people, including instructors, make their way to the bar at the Blizzard to catch up on the day's events.
What Not To Miss
- In the summer hike through the Refuge du Prariond Par Les Gorges de Malpasset and enjoy your peaceful surroundings.
- Dick's Tea Bar is one of the liveliest spots in town and the ideal place to enjoy a few après-ski tipples!
- Go for a spin on the ice driving track or the meighbouring ice karting track down at La Daille.
- Get a bird's eye view of the stunning scenery with a paragilding trip.
Hotels here can often be impersonal, pack-'em-in, shove-'em-out processing plants, and those in our list of the best places to stay in Val d'Isère are picked for extra character, warmth of service and owners who care.
- Les Lauzes offers simple, traditionally Alpine accommodation with a number of adjoining rooms which are perfect for families. What's more, it's just around the corner from the pistes and the town's nightlife.
- Le Samovar is a chic chalet boasting family rooms and a lovely spa. Tuck into traditional Savoyard cuisine after a day out on the slopes.
- La Galise's location just a hundred metres away from the piste makes it an excellent base for an active getaway. The accommodation is simple and traditional, whilst triples are also on offer for families and groups.
- Le Blizzard is a centrally located 5* spot boasting atmospheric Alpine accommodation featuring dark wood and sumptuous furnishings. With a spa, top-notch food and a lively bar, it's the ideal upmarket retreat.
- Avenue Lodge is a designer property located in the centre of town. Boasting stylish contemporary interiors, a spoiling spa and an indoor pool, it's a top spot. Plus, you can enjoy traditional French cuisine from the restaurant.
- The luxurious Le Taos is ideal if you're looking for something different - with chic suites in natural hues featuring New Mexican style design twists. What's more, there's a spa and fantastic cuisine served up.
- Sat right next to Val D'Isère's slopes, the 5* Le Yule couldn't be better located. Come back to enjoy a good night's sleep in their plush, chic rooms or treat yourself to a spa session if you want to truly unwind.
For An Active Holiday
- Mineral Lodge is an intimate 5-room property ideally situated to spend your days off hiking or skiing. Provides contemporary chic accommodation, packed lunches as well as bike and ski hire.
- Kandahar is a smart chalet-style spot offering easy access to the town's pistes. The interiors are typically Alpine, with plenty of wood and stone, whilst there's also a bar and a lovely restaurant.
For An Intimate Getaway
- Chalet Colinn is a 5-room chambres d'hotes located in the hills above Val D'Isère. You can even book the whole chalet for group stays! A cosy hideaway.
For An Apartment Or Villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- If you're coming for Val D'Isère's enviable skiing then the season runs from late-November to late-April, though it's obviously busiest around Christmas and during the February Holidays.
- If you're here for the hiking then the weather's at its nicest in July and August, when the average temperature rises to 18°C. The natural surroundings are also beautiful in the spring and autumn, plus accommodation may be cheaper at this time.
- The nearest place to fly into is Chambery Airport, located an hour and a half away by car. In the winter there's a direct bus service that'll take you straight to Val D'Isère! In the summer though, you'll need to take the train and change at Bourg-Saint-Maurice.
- British Airways fly direct to Chambery from Stansted and London City.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still Not Sure?
Best Hotels in Val d'Isère
La Toviere Val d'Isère 29 rooms from £86Great walks - The surrounding Vanoise National Park is full of superb walking routes in the summer.
Hotel Du Fornet Val d'Isère 12 rooms from £86Great walks - The surrounding area is full of lovely walking trails.
Smart and affordable, Hotel Du Fornet is a lovely chalet-style B&B in the village of Le Fornet. A mile from Val D'Isere, the hotel offers stylish, comfortable rooms and a cosy bar. A stone's throw from the nearest ski lift, it's perfect for those who want to be a quieter corner of the valley. See More
La Galise Val d'Isère 30 rooms from £117Active Holiday - Skiing in winter and plenty of other mountain activities in the summer months.Skiing - Only 20m from slopes and lifts!Less £ - Great value for its locationViews - Over the Face de Bellevarde
A simple family-orientated hotel in the heart of the resort and just 100m from the piste. Rooms are traditional in style with plenty of pine and all have modern en suites. Triples offer a good option for families or small groups. Lively bar, excellent value and an unbeatable location. See More
Hotel Tsanteleina Val d'Isère 54 rooms from £140Great walks - The Vanoise National Park is superb for walking and trekking routes.Romantic - Good for couples.SpaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Les Lauzes Val d'Isère (Val d'Isere Cedex) 23 rooms from £135Families - A family friendly hotel with designated joined rooms, and activities to keep you occupied all year round.Great walks - Stunning hiking trails through Vanoise National Reserve.TraditionalRomantic - Good for couples.
Le Refuge de Solaise Val d'Isère 34 rooms from £139Families - Apartment accommodation (sleeping between 4 - 18) makes this an ideal choice for families or groupsSkiing - Giving direct access to the Espace Killy, one of Europe's premier ski destinationsSpa - The Refuge Spa offers a 25m indoor heated pool plus a range of treatments using Exertier products.Great walks - During the summer months there are miles of trails with routes suitable for all levels of fitness
Perched at 2,551m, these are Europe's highest apartments which, at night, once the gondola is closed, is a magnificently peaceful spot set overlooking Val D'Isere. Rooms, suites and dormitories and are modern yet inspired by traditional design. Boasting an exemplary restaurant and spa. Superb! See More
Kandahar Val d'Isère 41 rooms from £182Skiing - Easy access to the pistes of both the Bellevarde and SolaiseActive Holiday - A great ski retreatFull of character - Homely setting with traditional decorTraditional - Rustic style
Traditional chalet-style hotel with easy access to both the Bellevarde and Solaise pistes. Alpine decor with modern touches, and a heavy emphasis on exposed wood and stone throughout. There's a cosy bar and charming restaurant serving Alsatian specialities. A homely, reliably good option. See More
Le Samovar Val d'Isère 18 rooms from £200Skiing - Superb location just 30m from the funicular at La DailleSpa - Mineral Spa with a sauna, hammam, swimming spa and 2 massage roomsFull of character - Mountain decor and modern alpine style furnitureViews - Great mountain views from the sit out terrace
Family-run chalet hotel in La Daille, a stone's throw from the funicular which has you up the mountain in minutes. Flexible modern-alpine style accommodation is perfect for families and groups with doubles, family rooms and self catering options. Traditional Savoyard cuisine plus a spa for relaxing. See More
Chalet Colinn Val d'Isère (Le Franchet) 5 rooms from £208Skiing - The vast Espace Killy is on your doorstep. Elizabeth your host is a fountain of local knowledgeGroups - Book the whole chalet for a ski holiday with friendsActive Holiday - Located 3.1 miles from the Val d’Isere ski resortViews - Panoramic mountain viewsRecommended by - Sawdays
Chambres d'hotes chalet style. Urban rusticity in an exceptional mountain setting, just outside Val d'Isere. Four en suite bedrooms offer flexible accommodation - book the chalet as a whole or come as a couple and make new friends round the dinner table! A relaxed spot away from the hustle & bustle. See More
Hotel Altitude Val d'Isère 40 rooms from £213Great walks - The surrounding Vanoise National Park is full of fantastic walking trails.Romantic - Good for couples.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Les Barmes de L'Ours Val d'Isère (Montée de Bellevarde) 76 rooms from £280Great walks - The nearby Vanoise National Park is perfect for summer walking expeditions.Romantic - Good for couples.SpaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Hotel Christiania Val d'Isère 69 rooms from £300Great walks - The surrounding Vanoise National Park is full of fantastic walking routes.Remote - Off the beaten track.SpaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - CN Traveller
Avenue Lodge Val d'Isère 51 rooms from £289Skiing - The vast Espace Killy is on your doorstepCity Style - Urban chic in the mountainsActive Holiday - The perfect ski retreatSwimming Pool - Indoor pool
Luxurious urban chic in the heart of town. Architect designed, style conscious interiors feature dark walls, splashes of red and faux fur throws - definitely sultry! A stunning spa with pool, jacuzzi and hamman eases weary limbs; and there's a pro shop on site for all your ski needs. See More
Le Blizzard Val d'Isère 57 rooms from £380Skiing - Situated at the foot of the Bellevarde. Ask at the hotel for organising lessons, guides and heli-skiing.Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor Pool at the foot of the Bellevarde slopeSpa - Spa by ClarinsViews - Great views from hotel
Much loved 5* luxury hotel in the centre of town; Le Blizzard is a bit of a Val d'Isere institution. Its bar is legendary and the vibe relaxed. Rooms are sumptuous; beautifully decorated and all with balconies boasting great views. Relax in the spa and enjoy fabulous food. Mountain perfection. See More
Le Yule Val d'Isère 41 rooms from £564Back to Nature - Explore the beautiful Vanoise National Park, with plenty of opportunity for skiing, snowboarding and mountaineering.Great walks - Excellent walking trails through the Vanoise National Park.Remote - Off the beaten track.Views - Great views from hotel