Search the best hotels in Val Thorens
About Val Thorens
The highest ski resort in Europe, Val Thorens is deservedly one of Savoie's most famous destinations. Enormously popular with French and international skiers, it boasts some of the most spectacular scenery in Les Trois Vallées, and extremely varied terrain. Accommodation options cater to a variety of tastes and budgets (from cheap and cheerful apartments to five star boutique hotels), and many of the best places to stay in Val Thorens have ski-in ski-out access: perfect for an active holiday with friends and family.
A purpose-built resort which has been expanding since the 1970s, Val Thorens is many a ski and snowboarders’ dream. Active travellers of various abilities can zip down a multitude of marked runs and challenging off-piste routes, but it’s worth being aware that there are limited daytime options for those not keen to hit the slopes. Set at the head of the Belleville Valley, the resort promises panoramic mountain views of a horseshoe of Alpine peaks; the vistas of Mont Blanc from the Cime Caron cable car are particularly striking. Val Thorens also has one of the region’s longest ski seasons, with great snow expected between November and May each year.
Val Thorens’ après-ski scene is ever-evolving, with bars aplenty, as well as a growing number of Michelin-starred restaurants set around its pedestrianised heart. Stay in the centre of town for the liveliest atmosphere, retreat to the private chalets of the Plein Sud area, or look slightly lower down the mountain for larger luxury hotels. Whether you’re planning to ski and snowboard, or to hike, fish, mountain bike and climb in the summer months, book your room at one of the best places to stay in Val Thorens well in advance!
The Best Places to Stay in Val Thorens
For Families or Groups
- Hotel Le Sherpa has had a family-friendly reputation since its opening in 1976. A typical Savoyard spot, the hotel has three welcoming lounges, a bar, open-fire grill restaurant for moreish raclette and fondue evenings, and a laid-back feel. The spa is ideal for unwinding after days out on the slopes as a family.
- Le Hameau du Kashmir is perfect for groups or families. Stylish suites have two ensuite bedrooms, as well as sitting rooms with striking mountain views. Guests share access to the indoor pool, sauna and massage facilities. Two restaurants and a lounge bar complete the picture. An indulgent family favourite.
- Hotel Koh-i-Nor boasts luxurious rooms and suites, a Michelin-recommended restaurant and a lovely spa. It's a very special base, and particularly popular with families who appreciate the children's menus, flexible room options and ski-in, ski-out access. The ski school is also a huge perk.
- Fahrenheit 7 has a 1970s feel with vintage prints and bright, retro-inspired interiors. Situated right on the slopes, it's a good choice for families and groups of friends eager to make the most of the great outdoors. Back at the hotel, you'll find flexible rooms with space for additional beds, two restaurants and bars with live DJ nights and top-notch drinks. Very good fun.
- Hotel Pashmina is a gorgeous luxury lodge with 50 spacious rooms and suites fusing classic chalet charm with all the mod-cons. Expect next-level alpine chic, plus gourmet cuisine and a sublime Occitane spa. Very romantic.
- Hotel Le Fitz Roy, near the heart of Val Thorens resort, is another indulgent choice with elegant, grown up interiors clad in soothing cream and white tones. The superb spa, indoor swimming pool, ski shop and excellent restaurant add to the appeal. A sophisticated spot for couples or families.
- Altapura promises five-star style, with exposed wood, stone and fur in pale neutrals paired with ultra-modern furnishings. A hip hotel for trendy types tempted by the après-ski buzz as much as the skiing itself.
- Le Val Thorens is a design lover's dream, with superb 1970s interiors featuring leather, mustardy velvet and lots of polished wood. Whilst guests of all ages are welcome, this feels like one for couples or groups of friends who hope to gather at the lively bar or the delectable restaurant. Right on the slopes and set alongside a ski school, this is a seriously cool spot.
For Great Value
- Hotel des 3 Vallées offers classic alpine rooms and four cosy family suites. It's a great value choice for winter or summer trips, with an impressive buffet to kick-start the day. Friendly, relaxed and affordable.
- Hotel Val Chavière also welcomes families in traditional, well-priced rooms, some of which boast bunk beds for little ones. Weekly music nights, fondue evenings, dancing and a fun billiards room make this a sociable choice for guests of all ages.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY CHALET
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Geneva Airport, 2.5 hours' drive from Val Thorens, or journey from Chambéry Airport, Grenoble Airport or Lyon. Regular shuttle buses run from regional airports to Val Thorens, and cars are banned within the resort itself.
- Savoie is wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Come between mid-December and April for the best skiing. Christmas and New Year are hugely popular, as are the French school holidays in February; travel outside these times if you can. Summer is by far the most popular time for hikers with temperatures peaking at around 23°C in July and August. Spring and autumn are quieter and cooler.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Courchevel.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Savoie.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Val Thorens
Best Hotels in Val Thorens
Hotel Val Chaviere Val Thorens 50 rooms from £123Restaurant - Cosy and welcoming restuarant offering local Savoyarde specialites and fondue eveningsSkiing - Doorstep skiing and just a few minutes walk to the resort centreSit-out Terrace - Attractive terrace with tables overlooking the slopes and resortViews - Great views from hotel
Excellent value family friendly hotel, with an unbeatable ski in ski out location right on the piste. The resort centre is just a few minutes walk. Welcoming restaurant and bar, with speciality Fondue nights every Thursdays, weekly live music and dancing. Sunny comfortable ensuite family rooms. See More
Hotel Le Sherpa Val Thorens 56 rooms from £148Sitting Room - Three comfortable sitting rooms, plenty of space for children and quiet places to relax with a book in front of a log fire.Restaurant - Excellent, generous buffet breafast, good food, and Savoyardes specialites including memorable fondue.Skiing - Good location close to piste. Private ski lockers with heated boot warmers.Spa - Spa with beauty centre 'Maria Galland', with hamman and sauna
Opened in 1976 this hospitable, popular and family friendly hotel is close to the piste and resort centre. Traditional and typically Savoyard, the hotel offers a spa, hammam and beauty treatments. Three lounges, bar, log fires and the restaurant has an open fire grill, fondue and raclette evenings. See More
Hôtel des 3 Vallées Val Thorens 28 rooms from £170Active Holiday - The ideal active getaway with downhill skiing, snowboarding, sledging, and hiking all on your doorstep!Views - Great views from hotelTraditionalRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Design Hotels, Great Small Hotels
Fahrenheit 7 Val Thorens 109 rooms from £200Skiing - Val Thorens has many times been voted the best ski resort in the worldRestaurant - Two great restaurants - La Rotisserie specialises in grilled meats and Le Zinc offers local cheese dishesOutstanding location - Spectacularly located at 2,300m with magnificent mountain views and right on the Val Thorens slopesSpa - Relax in either the hammam or sauna - there's also an ice pillar to cool you down
Right on the slopes of a world-class ski resort, this classy 4* offers winter sport and aprés heaven. Cheerful 70s décor features bright colours and vintage prints. You'll find a sauna and steam room for tired muscles, two excellent restaurants, great wines and bars with live music and DJ sets. See More
Altapura Val Thorens 72 rooms from £253Skiing - Superb ski in ski out location5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Restaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Tablet, CN Traveller
Le Val Thorens Val Thorens 80 rooms from £259Skiing - Situated right on the slopes and next door to a ski schoolActive HolidayRestaurant - The hotel has two restaurants: La Fondue & La Brasserie du Val ThorensViews - Wonderful mountain views
Hotel Koh-i-Nor Val Thorens 98 rooms from £330Skiing - Ski-to-door access, ski pass vendor, ski equipment hire, ski storage and ski school all onsite.Restaurant - The hotels boasts three restaurants from Savoyard specialities to gastronomic feastsSpa - Including two pools, sauna, hammam, hot tub, fitness centre, and much moreGreat walks - Excellent walking in the nearby Vanoise National Park.
Brimming with five-star excellence, Hotel Koh-i-nor is a superb, contemporary hotel right on the slopes. Fitted with deluxe suites, an extensive spa, a michelin recommended restaurant and superb views, it's the perfect place to unwind after a day on slopes. A family friendly alpine gem. See More
Le Hameau du Kashmir Val Thorens 59 rooms from £330Total relaxation - Apres ski heaven with sauna, massages and indoor pool, as well as two restaurants and lounge bar.Great walks - Spend an afternoon exploring the beautiful walking routes in the Vanoise National Park.Views - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Hotel Le Fitz Roy Val Thorens 58 rooms from £332Spa - Beautiful spa, with hamman, swimming pool and beauty treatments.Restaurant - One of the best in the resortSkiing - Door step skiing5* Luxury - Very high service standards.
The five star Hotel Le Fitz Roy is at the heart of the resort. In-house ski shop, and then straight onto the slopes. Beautiful bedrooms and family suites (all with private balcony) boast sophisticated, contemporary interiors. Plus there's an elegant spa and pool & excellent restaurant. Near perfect. See More
Hotel Pashmina Val Thorens 50 rooms from £555Romantic Break - The ideal escape for two with cosy fires, a luxury spa and wonderfully romantic rooms- especially the igloo under the stars!Hideaway - A pampering and indulgent base to return to after a day in the Alps.Swimming Pool - Indoor pool.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Find luxury in its truest form at this gorgeous lodge. Spacious suites boast wood paneling, fireplaces and glorious bathrooms. A superb spa will cater to your every need and the gourmet restaurant serves traditional dishes in relaxed surrounds. With easy access to the slopes this is a real winner. See More