- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Book Online Now
Search the best hotels in Oberammergau
Oberammergau is quiet and quaint: a collection of traditional alpine houses, cheerfully painted, in a valley spreading out to the Bavarian Alps. This is a great place for walkers and lovers of an alpine spa break but it’s probably best known for its Passion Play, which happens once every ten years and has been happening since 1634. It's when the town’s inhabitants promised God that if they were spared from the plague they would produce a play thereafter - and for all time - about the life and death of Jesus. There are around two thousand people involved in the production. Our pick of the best places to stay in Oberammergau is a luxurious alpine style property right in the centre of town - perfect for a romantic escape in summer or winter.
Things not to miss:
- If you're lucky enough to be in Oberammergau for the Passion Play, it's hard not to get swept up in the magnificence of it. If you are heading to the town solely for that reason, get organised and book well ahead.
- The town is famous for its traditional artwork and features a great number of 'Lüftlmalerei' (frescoes) on buildings throughout the town.
- Surrounded by abundant natural landscape, it's a great place for a walking holiday in the Bavarian Alps.
- Enjoy a day trip to the Linderhof Palace and gardens (just 13km away and reachable by bus from the railway station). Take in its stuning over-the-top interiors and equally impressive formal gardens.
- Wintersports enthusiasts will enjoy both the cross country and downhill skiing opportunities.
Don't forget that this region of Bavaria is very popular, so the best places to stay in Oberammergau tend to get booked up well in advance. So do your homework and plan well ahead.
The best places to stay in Oberammergau
For Alpine luxury
- Hotel Maximilian is a five star option in the centre of the town. It's a pampering stay which ever season you choose to visit, with an onsite spa and gourmet restaurant specialising in Mediterranean cuisine.
For a private apartment or chalet
- Explore the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to Oberammergau is actually in Austria: Innsbruck (47 miles).
- For car hire, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Oberammergau is from May to September, when the temperature sits comfortably in the twenties. That's the best time for a walking holiday. But if you're here for the wintersports, then aim for January to the end of March.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Oberammergau
Hotel Maximilian 19 rooms from £171Oberammergau
This 5* Alpine style hotel offers designer rooms and suites, a gourmet restaurant and even brews its own beer on site! There are plenty of nearby activities from skiing, hiking, cycling or mini golf, whilst those looking to relax can take advantage of the on site spa and wellness centre.Sights nearby - Only a few miles away from Ettal Abey and Linderhof PalaceGreat walks - Plenty of nearby hikesSpa