Search the best hotels in Rudesheim
At the foot of the Taunus Mountains and overlooking the Rhine stands the picturesque medieval town of Rudesheim. Surrounded by sweeping vineyards and lush green valleys, this charming town is the ideal place for a romantic weekend away: stroll idly down the cobbled street of Drosselgasse, taste local wine or spot eagles and falcons in the mountains. The best places to stay in Rudesheim tend to be just outside the town itself in the beautiful surrounding countryside.
Nestling quietly by the Rhine river, Rudesheim has been a prolific wine-producing region for over one thousand years. Once inhabited by the Celts, it was later annexed by the Romans in the 1st century CE before being overrun by the Germanic tribes of the Alemans and Franks. Unlike other towns in the region, it flourished in the medieval era, unspoilt by the conflicts that so marred the era.
The Drosselgasse, a delightful cobbled street lined by old timbered houses that crawl with vines, was where Rhine boatmen found food and lodging in the 15th century. An utterly enchanting place, it looks like it had been pulled out of a children's fairy tale book, and is an incredibly popular tourist attraction, where people from all over the world come to visit the charming boutiques, gourmet restaurants and old-fashioned taverns.
Overlooking the Rhine Valley in a wooded park is the Niederwald Monument, built to commemorate the unification of Germany in the 19th century. The park itself is stunning, but the real charm lies in the unbelievable panoramic views you get of the Rhine, the valley, the vineyards and the town itself. If you're a wine-lover, this is certainly the place for you. The Rheingau Wine Museum, set in Bromserburg Castle - an 11th century architectural wonder - shows the history of wine-making in the region.
Take some time out to take the cable car up to the Germania monument, where you can enjoy breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape. Also consider heading to the Adlerwarte Niederwald observatory, which teems with eagles, falcons, owls and vultures. For an afternoon trip, be sure to do a castle cruise of the Rhine.
What not to miss
- Get yourself to Siegfried's Mechanical Music Museum, set in a 16th century noble court, it displays a fine selection of automated instruments dating back to the 18th century.
- Head up to the Niederwald Monument and enjoy the beautiful views of parkland, valley and town.
- Visit the Adlerwarte Niederwald observatory, where you can find falcons, eagles and vultures.
- Immerse yourself in the town's relationship to viticulture at the Rheingau Wine Museum.
- Go on a castle cruise along the Rhine.
- Stroll aimlessly down Drosselgasse, a charming cobbled medieval street made up of old timbered houses: there are some fantastic shops and restaurants.
- Take a cable car to the Germania Monument and enjoy the spellbinding panoramic views.
Unsurprisingly this is a popular destinationg, especially during the summer months, so in order to ensure a room at one of the best places to stay in Rudesheim we recommend booking well in advance.
The best places to stay in Rudesheim
- Breur's Rudesheimer Schloss: set in an 18th century German castle perched by the river, this fun and family-friendly hotel offers stylish contemporary rooms with original artworks, and a garden where you can taste the hotels' own wine while listening to live music. Romantic and divine.
- Burg Schwartzenstein: with an old, medieval exterior and delightfully plush and contemporary interiors, this hotel stands amidst lush green valleys and vineyards. The award-winning restaurant boasts a fantastic wine-list and the rooms are chic and stylish.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is during the summer when the temperatures vary between 14 and 25 degrees.
- Fly to Frankfurt am Main Airport, roughly 55km away, and get the Rechte Rheinstrecke train to Rudesheim.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through all our options in nearby Frankfurt.
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Germany.
- Or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Rudesheim
Best Hotels in Rudesheim
Breuer's Rudesheimer Schloss Rudesheim 26 rooms from £129Active Holiday - A great place to stay for boat trips along the Rhine and hiking and cycling trips around the Rhein-Taunus Nature Park.Great walks - There are a range of great walking routes around the Rhein-Taunus Nature Park.Sights nearby - Explore the beautiful old streets of Rudeheim.Restaurant - Recommended.
Friendly, family run hotel in an 18th century German schloss. Individually decorated rooms are comfortable and spacious with original artworks and designs. The hotel's garden is really the hub of the hotel, where you can drink some of the hotel's home produced wine and enjoy the live music concerts. See More
Burg Schwarzenstein Rudesheim 30 rooms from £139Views - Spectacular views over the Rheingau wine-growing region of the Rhine Valley.Garden - A beautiful Mediterranean-style setting of vineyards and valleys.Foodies - Fantastically romantic and award-winning restaurant.Weddings - A spectacular setting for a wedding.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Michelin Travel
Jugendstil-Hof Rudesheim (55450 Langenlonsheim) 3 rooms from £172Great walks - Embark on beautiful walks through the surrounding forestHideaway - A great little hideawayFull of characterQuirky - An experience!
Jugendstil-Hof, in a pretty Art Nouveau building, is an oasis of comfort. Three spacious rooms are furnished with striking fabrics and contain quirky details. Just 250m from Langenlonsheim town centre and 8km from the Rhine Valley. Great base for cycling and hiking in this lush wine-growing region. See More