Search the best hotels in Athens
There's a unique feel to Athens that few cities can rival. Yes, this is Europe's oldest city, but it's also forward-looking and full of variety. Most visitors are lured by its ancient temples and museums filled with astonishing works of art that span millennia. But we recommend you take time to discover the city's many other faces: hip cocktail bars and beach clubs, old-school cafés and tavernas, cutting edge fusion restaurants, bustling markets and shopping streets, modern art galleries and districts where every wall is daubed with the technicolour work of 21st-century street artists. Many of the best places to stay in Athens stand on broad avenues and grand plazas dating from the 19th century. Others are in buzzy neighbourhoods of narrow streets and little leafy squares where pots of geraniums add colour to every doorstep and windowsill, cats snooze in the sun, and life is very much lived outdoors. The central square of every neighbourhood is a social hub, filled with cafés where locals gather to sip iced coffee, play cards or backgammon, or listen to music.
In the run-up to the 2004 Olympic Games, Athens cleaned up its act. A shiny new metro system and tram system and a new airport opened. Much of the historic centre was declared traffic-free and air pollution curbed. New museums and galleries opened, and older museums were totally renovated. Despite the vicissitudes that followed the Greek financial crisis, Athens has bounced back, becoming a place to visit not just for its wonderful heritage sites and museums but for a modern cultural scene embracing everything from dance and experimental music to street art and performance.
Hotels weren't left out of the renaissance. Low-end pensions were reborn as chic, upscale boutique hideaways. Elderly, once-grand hotels were given a makeover. A scattering of big new hotels have opened, but most of the best places to stay in Athens are smaller, more intimate independent properties, many of them in gracious neo-classical mansions. You can choose to stay in the heart of things, surrounded by ancient heritage and museums, go boho in one of the trendy, up-and-coming neighbourhoods just beyond the historic centre, opt for a stylish suburb below Mt Parnitha or stay by the sea on the shores of the Gulf of Attica.
Where to Stay – which neighbourhood?
- Syntagma Square is the city's grand central hub. Home to Greece's Parliament and to some of the city's poshest hotels, it's close to the Acropolis and museums like the National Archaeological Museum and Benaki Museum – and to some of the city's best shopping.
- Many of the best places to stay in Athens cluster in the historic Plaka, beneath the Acropolis. It's a labyrinth of car-free streets, dotted with ancient sites and packed with open-air cafés and tavernas. You're right in the centre here, just 10 mins from Syntagma Square.
- Monastiraki, about 1km west of Syntagma (or one stop on the metro), is best known for its vast flea market. Right next to the Ancient Agora, it's also a fine sightseeing base. Its main square is famed for traditional restaurants serving grilled lamb, chicken, and pork at rickety outdoor tables.
- Psyrri, just north of Monastiraki, has become Athens's most happening neighbourhood. Artisans' workshops, old-school souvlaki joints, hip cafés and boho music bars jostle for space on streets where walls have become galleries of psychedelic street art. Psyrri is also about 1km (or one metro stop) from Syntagma.
- Plan to spend a night in Piraeus if you have to catch an early morning island ferry next day. You'll find some good places to eat, drink, and enjoy the evening in this bustling waterfront west of the city centre. Piraeus is 10kms from the centre of Athens (8 stops on the metro).
- Koukaki and Makrigianni are the perfect neighbourhoods to stay in if a visit to the Acropolis is top of your bucket list – it's just a few blocks away. Equally you're only 10 mins walk from Syntagma (2 stops on the metro).
- Kolonaki is the city's poshest neighbourhood, where upscale galleries, designer stores and art galleries surround a square filled with cafés patronised by wealthy Athenians. Again this is a very central area - under 1km from Syntagma Square (1 metro stop away).
- Kifissia is a cool green sanctuary that offers a stylish escape from the hubbub of downtown Athens, with smart shops, glitzy bars, and super eateries. However this area is some 13km from the city centre - a good 25 minutes on the metro.
- Gritty but groovy Metaxourgeío is the neighbourhood for those looking for a mix of value-for-money places to stay, funky nightlife, easy access to top attractions – and a real slice of life in 21st-century Athens. Yet it's still fairly central - only 2km from Syntagma (or 3 metro stops).
- Exarchia is home to the incredible collections of the National Archaeological Museum, the world's most important collection of ancient Greek art. It's also the city's counter-cultural hub - a college neighbourhood with a youthful vibe and an offbeat and adventurous nightlife scene. Exarchia is about 1.5km from the city centre.
- Omonia is the place to base yourself if you're on a flying visit to Athens and want to make the most of your time. A hub for metro, tram and bus lines heading in all directions, this central neighbourhood offers value-for-money accommodation. The National Archaeological Museum and the colourful Central Market are within walking distance. Omonia is 1km or 2 metro stops from Syntagma Square.
What not to Miss
- Acropolis and Acropolis Museum: Make a beeline for the Acropolis to start your visit and get your bearings. A five-day 'all sites' ticket includes the Acropolis, Roman Forum, Ancient Agora and its museum, Temple of Olympian Zeus and other key sites and can be bought online.
- Stroll through Plaka to the Roman Forum, then through the Ancient Agora to the colourful Flea Market.
- Allow at least a morning to discover the glories of ancient Greece in the National Archaeological Museum
- Take the funicular to the top of Lykavittos (Lycabettus) Hill to watch the sun set over Athens.
- Go shopping in Plaka. You'll find good buys including cotton summer wear, leather sandals and gold and silver jewellery along Adrianou and Pandrossou. Colourful komboloi ('worry beads') are easy-to-carry gifts.
- Admire outré street art and get a taste of local life on a walking tour of Psyrri with Alternative Athens.
- Visit an island for a day – high-speed hydrofoils zip from Zea Marina in Piraeus (a 30-minute metro ride from the city centre) to the isles of the Saronic Gulf in as little as 40 minutes.
- Spend an evening listening to authentic rembetika music in Exarchia.
- Hit the beach – you'll find sun, sea and sand at Glyfada, a short tram ride from central Athens.
With so much on offer – from romantic hideways on quiet streets and family friendly properties to luxury hotels with rooftop pools and fine-dining restaurants in the heart of town – finding one of the best places to stay in Athens to suit your taste and budget is easy. But Athens is busy year-round, so book early to make sure you don't miss out.
The best places to stay in Athens
- The King George Palace combines neoclassical opulence with classical keynotes and fine views of the Acropolis from private balconies overlooking Syntagma Square.
- NJV Athens Plaza offers modern suites with Acropolis views from private terraces, with a great location right on Syntagma Square.
- The Grande Bretagne has fabulous rooms and public areas plus indoor and outdoor pools; it's the unrivalled grande dame of Syntagma Square hotels.
- Met 34 is a stylish modern property close to Syntagma Square with self-catering suites that make it an ideal city-centre choice for families.
- New Hotel is a design-conscious luxury option with perks including spa, hammam and an excellent restaurant.
- Inn Athens is a chic option just off Syntagma Square. Breakfast on your balcony is a fabulous start to your day.
- The Electra Metropolis offers a rooftop pool bar with great Acropolis views to complement its elegant rooms.
- AthensWas offers retro-chic boutique indulgence in the heart of the ancient city.
- Herodion Hotel is an elegant base for sightseeing and shopping, with a rooftop restaurant that has fab views over the city.
- Sweet Home Hotel is a charming choice for culture lovers, with beautifully decorated rooms and suites in a restored heritage building within walking distance of all the great ancient sites.
- The Zillers is a boutique getaway with a roof garden bar that is the perfect place to watch sunset over the Acropolis.
- 360 Degrees offers a romantic stay in individually designed rooms with great views and a roof-level bar with Acropolis views.
- A for Athens is an elegant hotel with a rooftop bar that looks over the bustle of Monastiraki Square and across the old city to the Acropolis.
- Hotel Periscope is for the design-conscious visitor, with a classy restaurant and smart rooms and suites filled with natural light, some with private balconies.
- The St George Lycabettus is a Kolonaki landmark combining affordable luxury and quiet dignity with a great location and stunning views from its rooftop pool.
- Athens Mansion Luxury Suites offers rooms and suites with balconies and fab views in a gracious neoclassical mansion.
- Andronis Athens appeals to upscale hipsters with its designer suites and split-level rooms with private terraces.
- O&B Boutique Hotel is a sophisticated small hotel. Attentive staff, an excellent restaurant and rooms and suites with private balconies make it a top pick for a short break in Athens.
- The Foundry encapsulates trendy Psyrri – it's a slice of industrial heritage that has become a boutique one-off, with oh-so-stylish rooms and a roof garden.
- 18 Micon Street is the epitome of trendy, post-industrial chic, but it also reaches out to parents and kids with its bunkbedded family suite, complete with toys.
KOUKAKI AND MAKRIGIANNI
- NLH Fix is in the shadow of the Acropolis, so it's the perfect base for exploring ancient Athens. Stay in self-catering suites or smart modern rooms. Buzzy Plaka is next door.
- Acropolis Museum Boutique Hotel is all about location. This elegant neoclassical mansion offers charm and elegance within walking distance of the city's great sights, and the Metro is on your doorstep for a fast transfer to and from the airport.
- Coco Mat Hotel Nafsika is the perfect choice for a romantic break, with smartly-dressed, minimalistic rooms and a super restaurant.
- Kefalari Suites is a quintessential Kifissia mansion. Themed rooms at this fabulous boutique hotel have private balconies, and there's a rooftop whirlpool.
- Semiramis has all that you could ask from a modern, upscale resort hotel – including outdoor pool, a fusion-Med restaurant, and a lively bar.
- Areos is a contemporary urban haven with spacious rooms. The best have city-view balconies and private whirlpools.
- Pallas Athena is a unique hotel-cum-art gallery with uber-smart, individually-styled rooms, and a hip restaurant.
- Fresh Hotel is a colourful boutique oasis. After a busy day sightseeing you can watch the sun set over the city from the rooftop pool.
- Piraeus City Hotel is perfect for those seeking a comfortable night's stay just steps from the port. Watch the ferries come and go from balcony rooms and the rooftop restaurant.
- Athens Lotus Hotel is an historic haven for tired sightseers, who can slide between cool Egyptian cotton sheets after diner at its rather good restaurant.
- Novus City Hotel has a rooftop pool and trendy bar. Suites and rooms are vividly designed and decorated.
Prefer An Apartment Or Villa?
- If you think you'd prefer a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- The best time to visit Athens is during May or September/October as it gets extremely hot and busy during July and August. The temperature is still between 21-24°C, perfect for spending your days sightseeing or relaxing by a pool. However Athens also makes a lovely winter break destination if you want to visit at a quiet time. The average daily temperature is 12°C in December and you can be assured of cheaper accommodation (unless you come around Christmas!) than in peak season.
- International visitors can fly into Athens International Airport, (located 12 miles east of the city). From the airport, you can either take the bus, metro or train into the centre of town.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still Not Sure?
Best Hotels in Athens
Sweet Home Hotel Athens (Plaka) 14 rooms from £62
This hotel occupies a restored heritage building in central Athens. The best rooms offer magnificent views of the Acropolis and boast artworks from the Benaki Museum. Family suites offer a handy connecting door between rooms. Enjoy a classic Greek breakfast in your room. A charming, homely hotel.Families - The family suites are designed for those travelling with children, and have a useful interconnecting doorCity Style - This hotel, located in a beautifully restored heritage building, has plenty of Athenian styleRomantic Break - The classic style of the hotel and the relaxed ambience make it a popular choice with couplesLocal markets - A trip to Athens wouldn't be complete without visiting the Monastiraki Flea Market, located a stone's throw from the hotelRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
Piraeus City Hotel Athens (Piraeus) 47 rooms from £68
This newly renovated hotel sits opposite the central port of Piraeus. Rooms are bright and modern with comfortable beds and large windows; the best rooms have a furnished balcony with views of the port. Don't miss the hotel's roof garden restaurant, serving traditional Greel dishes. A smart hotel.Hideaway - Sitting opposite the port, outside of the busy city centre, this hotel is a great hideaway holiday destinationLocal exploring - Located a stone's throw from the port, this hotel is a great base for exploring local islands by ferryFamilies - The family rooms in this hotel are perfect for parents travelling with childrenGreat walks - Discover the ancient city of Athens with a guided walking tour; trains into the city from the hotel are inexpensive
Athens Mansion Luxury Suites Athens 18 rooms from £71
A stately mansion in the heart of Athens' city centre. Spacious rooms are dressed in a neoclassical style with chandeliers, luxuriously draped curtains and plush linens. All rooms boast a balcony with views over the historic city. Enjoy dinner in the adjoining restaurant at this regal guesthouse.Local exploring - Located in the heart of Athens close to all the main attractions, this is a great base for local exploringRomantic Break - The luxurious interior design and plush beds make this hotel a favourite with couplesCity Style - Step back in time and enjoy neoclassical Greek style at this romantic Athens hotelSights nearby - Visit the car-free island of Hydra; hop on a ferry and spend the day in a tranquil, pollution-free zone
Areos Hotel Athens 40 rooms from £78
Neighbouring the verdant Areos Park in central Athens, Areos Hotel's rooms are elegant and spacious with a contemporary finish; the best offer a private jacuzzi or a balcony with fantastic views. Enjoy a breakfast of local Greek produce in the Café Bar to start your day. A smart city hotel.Hideaway - Located just outside of the busiest part of central Athens, this is a great hideaway from the tourist crowdsValue chic - With contemporary accommodation from as little as €90 per night including breakfast, it's excellent value.City Style - The smart interior design of this hotel makes it a stylish city stayGreat walks - Take a walk through the National Garden, a park with botanical plants and historic ruinsRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
Alice Inn Athens 4 rooms from £78
This quirky bed and breakfast sits at the foot of the Acropolis. Suites are named after famous icons and are individually styled; the best offer private terraces and a fireplace. Expect bright, airy rooms and vintage design pieces. The self-catering facilities are perfect for groups. A unique B&B.Romantic Break - The Betty Boop Suite, with its bright private patio, is perfect for couplesFamilies - The self-catering facilities and spacious apartments are great for familiesCity Style - The unique design of these apartments makes for a stylish city staySights nearby - Visit Hadrian's Arch, a historic monument located a short walk from the hotelRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
Hermes Hotel Athens 45 rooms from £86
A charming contemporary hotel in a great location, and great value. Doubles, triples, and family rooms all modern in style with private balconies. Wonderful roof terrace and walking distance to restaurants and sights around. A great choice for families and groups of friends on a shoe string.Value chicLocal markets - Pedestrian Plaka district where you'll find flea markets, souvenirs, leather goods, pottery, tavernas, cafés.Sights nearby - Acropolis citadel.Great walks - Filopappos Hill.Recommended by - I Escape
The Alex, Piraeus Athens 34 rooms from £90
A contemporary offering in the heart of lively Piraeus. Smart rooms have a luxurious feel with sink-into beds, minimalist furniture, local modern art and indulgent bathrooms. The rooftop plays host to a bar and Mediterranean restaurant and boasts spectacular sea views. A chic choice.Local exploring - The Alex is ideally positioned to access Piraeus's main attractions and is a great base for exploring AthensGreat walks - Wander through the cultural area of Maniatika where seemingly time has stood stillDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Views - Great views from hotel
Pallas Athena Athens (Kotzia sq.) 63 rooms from £94
A hotel like no other. A luxury boutique filled with modern art works, individual designs, and an inventive restaurant to match. Rooms and suites range from chic to super chic, each different but equally modern. A hotel for those who like invention and creativity.Foodies - Unique presentations of traditional Greek food.Romantic BreakCity StyleBoutique
St George Lycabettus Athens 154 rooms from £99
Classic luxury meets 21st-century style at this Athens Grand Dame. Dignified and charming, with great rooftop pool and contemporary rooms. Some rooms have views of the Acropolis. Not super central so good rates, and in upmarket, quiet residential area.City Style - In the city's most exclusive neighbourhood, with excellent views of the Acropolis from the sleek rooms and hip rooftop bar.Swimming Pool - Outdoor PoolLively - Hip and happening.Full of characterRecommended by - Frommers, Michelin Travel, Fodors
Hotel Periscope Athens 21 rooms from £102
A smart boutique hotel in upmarket Kolonaki. Minimalist style rooms and suites have shiny parquet floors, all the mod cons, lots of natural light and walls adorned with specially commissioned artworks. Smart lounge area for breakfast and all day long exec lounge style buffet.Local exploring - A good central base from which you can easily get to all of Athens's best bits!City Style - A chic, minimalist style base in upmarket Kolonaki.Sights nearby - Acropolis. 10 mins walk from Syntagma SquarePrivate Hot Tub - If you book the Penthouse SuiteRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet
Athens Lotus Hotel Athens (Plateia Karaiskaki) 31 rooms from £103
This heritage hotel is located in Athens' city centre. Individually styled rooms have modern interior design with luxurious, Egyptian cotton sheets and comfortable beds. The best suite occupies the entire fifth floor and has a separate living and dining area. Dine at the restaurant; a classic stay.City Style - Having undergone a recent renovation, this hotel has bags of contemporary Athenian styleRomantic Break - Couples will love the luxurious linens and sink-in beds of the hotel's rooms and suitesLocal exploring - With its central location, this hotel makes a great base for local exploringSights nearby - Visit the Acropolis, an iconic, 5th-century B.C temple complex on Athens' rocky hilltop
360 Degrees Hotel Athens 20 rooms from £104
This charming hotel is nestled in the heart of historic Athens. Individually styled rooms have unique, vintage design pieces and views of the city sights. Stay in the Junior Suite to enjoy a pretty outdoor patio. Drink at the rooftop bar for majestic views of the Acropolis. An intimate guesthouse.Local exploring - Located next to Hadrian's Library and Monastiraki Flea Market, this hotel is a great starting point for local exploringRomantic Break - Couples love the romantic roof terrace at night, with signature cocktails and stunning views over the historic cityCity Style - With unique design pieces and individually styled rooms, this hotel has reams of city styleLocal markets - Wander round Monastiraki Flea Market, a short walk from the hotel, and bag a bargain to take homeRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
Acropolis Museum Boutique Hotel Athens (Acropolis) 23 rooms from £104
Set in central Athens, the Acropolis Museum Boutique Hotel offers charming and traditional accommodation. The property exudes an air of elegance with antiques and artworks adorning the walls. With a prime central location this is a great city spot!Local exploring - Situated in central Athens, the Acropolis Boutique Hotel is a fantastic base from which to get to know the cityGreat walks - Wander through this spectacular ancient city taking in the beautiful architectureSights nearby - Acropolis, Anafiotika and Monastiraki Square are all just a short distance awayLocal markets - The bustling Dimotiki Agora (Central Market) is a must-visit!Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
Fresh Hotel Athens 136 rooms from £104
Luxury meets minimal to make a statement at this colourful boutique hotel in the centre of Athens. Spacious and stylish rooms come with all the mod-cons. Admire the sunset from the rooftop pool and open-air bar. Top notch breakfast buffet at Magenta Restaurant. Great for romantics and explorers.Romantic Break - A hip spot for young couples- Tassos Zepos design interiors and achingly cool rooftop bar with pool and views of the Acropolis.Total relaxation - For those looking to unwind, take the suites featuring Zen Gardens and make the most of the Hammam, spa and steam rooms!Local markets - The food markets along nearby Athinas street sell herbs, honey, sweets, nuts and fresh fish, a lively and interesting sight.Great walks - Wander through the ancient Plaka district for flea markets, souvenirs, leather goods, pottery, tavernas and cafés.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
Coco Mat Hotel Nafsika Athens 22 rooms from £108
Smart and sleek, Coco Mat Hotel Nafsika is a stylish, modern hotel on the outskirts of Athens. The comfortable rooms feature crisp colour schemes and minimalist furnishings. Downstairs guests can enjoy delicious Greek specialities in the restaurant. Perfect for a romantic break to Athens.Local markets - Visit the nearby local market at Zotos.
18 Micon Street Athens 15 rooms from £111
Housed in a once-abandoned warehouse, this is now a trendy hotel perfect for a stylish city-stay. The design is distinctly industrial with exposed brick, grey hues and sharp lines. Chic bedrooms and top-floor suites overlook the Acropolis while Athens' downtown district is right on your doorstep.Families - The family suite provides a triple bunkbed, funky alphabet wallpaper and toys! Plus, the city will provide constant activityLocal exploring - Located in buzzing downtown Athens; bars, coffee-shops and galleries are endless. Not to mention famous ancient ruins!Honeymoons - Downtown Athens is a place of romance - winding historic streets, ancient ruins and the tremendous ParthenonCity Style - Top floor suites are huge and offer breathtaking terrace and city views
Divani Caravel Hotel Athens 471 rooms from £115
A luxury hotel perfectly located in central Athens. Functionality is the key word, with restaurant, shop, bar and lobby laid in an open plan style. Rooms range from simple bright and contemporary to more sumptuous suites. Expect top notch facilities including a rooftop pool, spa and superb cuisine!Local exploring - An ideal base for exploring with good transport links and easy access to the Kolonaki shopping district, museums and monumentsSights nearby - A visit to the Acropolis is a must, home to the Parthenon and several other ancient Greek monumentsSwimming Pool - Indoor and outdoor pool, rooftop poolLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Kefalari Suites Athens 13 rooms from £117
Gorgeous boutique hotel with lots of character. Rooms and suites have around-the-world themes - from Jaipur to Paris. Each has all the mod cons, private balconies, and charming unique style. Rooftop jacuzzi and lovely terraces.Romantic BreakCity StyleLocal markets - 19-century Plaka district with its flea markets, souvenir stalls, leather goods, pottery, tavernas, cafés.Great walks - Filopappos hill or in the forests and gorges of Mt. Parnitha (45 minutes by taxi).Recommended by - I Escape
Andronis Athens Athens 6 rooms from £121
These luxury suites are located in the bustling heart of Psirri, Athens. The best of the quirky rooms are split-level and have a private roof terrace with fantastic views of the Acropolis. Enjoy a soak in the claw-foot bath before having a snack at the iFeel café. A trendy, bohemian city hotel.Local exploring - With the historic centre of Athens on your doorstep, there is plenty of local exploring to do from this hotelCity Style - Located in the middle of all the action, this hotel is perfect for exploring Athens in styleRomantic Break - The suites with private roof terraces are great for couples on a romantic getawaySights nearby - With great views of the Acropolis from your terrace, it will be easy to start your sightseeing from the hotel itself
The Zillers Athens 10 rooms from £124
This boutique hotel is set within the picturesque neighbourhood of Plaka. Located in a heritage building, the hotel underwent a full renovation and now offers modern rooms and suites with design pieces that nod to local style. Unwind with a drink at the urban roof garden; a stylish city getaway.Romantic Break - Couples love the romantic roof garden bar and café, with great views over the historic cityCity Style - Situated in a lovingly restored heritage building, this hotel has plenty of city styleFamilies - The spacious family suites are perfect for those travelling with childrenSights nearby - Visit the Acropolis, the ruins of an iconic 5th-century B.C. temple complex a stone's throw from the hotel
NLH Fix Athens 13 rooms from £125
This new Athens hotel sits at the foot of the Acropolis in Koukaki. Located in the city's cultural hub, the hotel offers bright, modern rooms with COCO-MAT beds and marble bathrooms. Suites offer a self-catering kitchenette while the attic room boasts a pretty private terrace. A smart city stay.Families - With suites designed to accommodate families and additional services for children available, this hotel is great for parentsLocal exploring - Situated at the foot of the Acropolis with great transport links, this hotel is the perfect base for local exploringCity Style - With its focus on local culture, this hotel is a great way to discover Athenian styleSights nearby - Visit the Acropolis, an ancient citadel containing buildings of great archaeological significance visible from the hotel
Cocomat Hotel Athens Athens (Athina 106 75) 39 rooms from £126
A gorgeous hotel in a desirable area boasting a great restaurant and a pretty terrace. The feel is rustic boho-chic with an emphasis on natural materials and sun-washed colours. Spacious rooms feature stylish modern furniture and craft pieces. A real gem!Local exploring - Boasting a prime location in one of Athens' most high-end districts, this is the ideal base form which to explore in styleSights nearby - A visit to the Acropolis, one of the most important sites in the western world, and to the glorious Parthenon are a mustViews - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.
Life Gallery Athens (Anixi) 29 rooms from £126
A very special hotel. Modern chic design, contemporary art works, zen spaces curated specially for relaxation and meditation, a superb restaurant, and a luxury spa. Rooms, studios and suites are romantic, contemporary, and sophisticated. A unique hotel for the luxury customer.City Style - Although its location is not the most central Life Gallery is a very chic option and with great facilities too.LuxuryRomantic BreakSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool with a feature glass wallRecommended by - CN Traveller
Perianth Hotel Athens 38 rooms from £130
A happening hotel in the heart of Athens' cutting edge Agia Irini Square. The interiors and contemporary art collection have been carefully crafted by K-Studio to represent the stylish modern Greek. The cafe restaurant is a great spot to sit and soak it all in and the breakfast is excellent.City Style - Designed by Greece's hottest architects, K-Studio, the interiors are bold and contemporary with a Grecian twistLocal markets - Monastiraki flea market is just a ten minute walk away and well worth checking outSights nearby - You are just a 15 minute stroll from the AcropolisRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Design Hotels
MET34 Athens 7 rooms from £134
This stylish hotel is located in the centre of Athens, close to the cathedral and Syntagma Square. The best of the contemporary rooms and self-catering suites have king-size beds, fully equipped kitchens and marble bathrooms. The suites are a great size for families or groups. A modern city stay.City Style - Located a stone's throw from the main attractions in the centre of Athens, this is a great base for a city breakFamilies - The larger suites offer full self-catering and lots of living space, perfect for those travelling with kidsGroups - Groups will be happy with the size of the suites, which can sleep up to six and have cooking facilitiesLocal markets - Visit Athens' central market Varvakeios for a taste of how the locals shop; expect heady smells and a cacophony of sounds
Novus City Hotel Athens 85 rooms from £134
This modern, four-star hotel is situated in Karaiskaki Square, the cultural centre of Athens. Rooms are individually styled in a lively palette, with hand-selected design pieces; the best suites offer a private terrace. Relax by the hotel pool or at the sleek rooftop bar. A contemporary city stay.Local exploring - Located in the heart of the artsy district of Athens, this hotel is a great base for local exploringFamilies - Family rooms are great for those travelling with children, and kids love the hotel poolCity Style - With a bright and modern finish, this four-star hotel is stylish and luxuriousSights nearby - Visit the Roman Forum, the remains of an agora built by the Romans from 19-11 B.C.
InnAthens Athens (Syntagma) 22 rooms from £137
InnAthens offers chic contemporary accommodation in a quiet but central location a short walk from Syntagma Square. Each room features Cocomat mattresses and marble bathrooms with Olive amenities. Enjoy a traditional Greek breakfast on your balcony each morning. A stylish stay, in a great spot!Romantic Break - An elegant and tranquil hideaway- think plush bedding, cool marble bathrooms and balconies overlooking the cityLocal exploring - With so many historic sights on your doorstep you'd be amiss not to take in all that Athens has to offerSights nearby - Visit the tiny and scenic Anafiotika neighbourhood located on the Acropolis hillGreat walks - Take a leisurely stroll through the city's Zappion National Gardens
AthensWas Athens 21 rooms from £143
Classic modernism in the heart of ancient Athens. A sleek stay providing hard to beat views of the Acropolis and the city. Retro-chic rooms feature contemporary, marble-clad bathrooms and well-stocked minibars. Enjoy an indulgent breakfast before seeing the sights that lie on your doorstep.Foodies - The rooftop restaurant serves Greek-Mediterranean cuisine with French and Japanese influences, accompanied by spectacular views.Local exploring - Just metres away from The Temple of Olympion Zeus and many of Athen's sights.Sights nearby - The Temple of Olympion Zeus, Syntagma Square and many more sights are within walking distance.Great walks - Take a stroll along Dionysiou Areopagitou - the most scenic street in Athens.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Design Hotels, Tablet
Semiramis Hotel Athens (Kifissia) 51 rooms from £144
5* designer hotel in quiet suburb of city. Eclectic interiors have eye-catching lighting features, white furnishings and quirky bathrooms, with floor to ceiling windows. Outdoor pool, spa, sauna and gym. Fusion Mediterranean cuisine in chic restaurant, buzzy bar lounge. Colourful, modern and unique.City Style - Über design hotel down to every detail and brimming with artworks gives a quirky twist to a trip to historic GreeceSights nearby - Thirty minutes from historic Athens' sightsDesigner - Karim RashidSpaRecommended by - Tablet, Design Hotels, Kiwi Collection
O&B Athens Boutique Hotel Athens 22 rooms from £148
A small contemporary hotel with wonderful views of the Parthenon. Sophisticated rooms and suites with all the mod cons and some with private balconies. Excellent restaurant, very friendly staff. A great choice for a weekend in Athens.Views - Great views from hotelCity StyleGreat walks - Filopappos Hill for excellent views over Athens.Local markets - Monastiraki flea market on a Sunday.Recommended by - I Escape
A for Athens Athens (Monastiraki) 35 rooms from £148
An elegant and sought after hotel overlooking the Acropolis in central Athens. The rooms are simple and stylish with hardwood floors, artsy light fixtures and the odd marble sculpture; some offer balconies. The rooftop bar serves incredible cocktails and their Greek cuisine is excellent. Wonderful!Romantic Break - A perfect romantic getaway- fantastic food, great cocktails and remarkable Acropolis views from the rooftop restaurantClose to nightlife - Monastiraki Square is just across the street and is a hotspot for bars, eateries, markets and lively street scenesGreat walks - Centrally located in one of Athens most vibrant neighbourhoods, be sure to wander the streets and soak it all inSights nearby - As you can probably tell from the views, you are only a 15 minute walk to the AcropolisRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
New Hotel Athens 72 rooms from £150
Cutting edge designer-chic hotel. Bedrooms and suites full of natural light have all the mod cons, private balconies, and quirky modern furnishings. Fabulous restaurant and spa with hammam. A luxury choice for the design conscious.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.City StyleSights nearby - 200m from Constitution Square and walking distance from all the city's major attractionsSpaRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Electra Metropolis Athens 216 rooms from £156
A luxurious 5-star hotel offering elegant rooms and suites. Centrally located in downtown Athens, bustling urban entertainment is around every corner. The design is retro-chic and undeniably cool. A breathtaking rooftop with bar, pool and epic views of the Parthenon make this hotel a must-stay.Families - Families will love this all-facilitating hotel - family suites, TVs, pool, spa and urban entertainment - something for everyoneLocal exploring - Get lost in the winding streets of this history-centric city. At the crossroads of modern urban culture and ancient historyRomantic Break - Athens is a romantic city full of history, art, ruins, museums, bustling night-life and cafe-culture on every street cornerSights nearby - The absolute perfect location for visiting the world's most famous ancient ruins atop of the Acropolis
NJV Athens Plaza Athens (Constitution Square) 180 rooms from £156
This five-star luxury hotel is located in the heart of Athens, in the historic Syntagma Square. The best of the contemporary suites offer private terraces with views of the magnificent Acropolis. Choose from the newly renovated restaurant or bar for a meal or refreshing drink. A stylish city hotel.City Style - Located in the heart of Athens, this hotel has reams of city style. Explore the sights from this great central baseRomantic Break - The plush beds and great facilities make this hotel a favourite with couplesGreat walks - Discover historic Athens with a walk through the city; find your own routes or enquire at the hotel for a guided tourSights nearby - Visit the Acropolis, the most famous Athenian landmark where a former ancient settlement once stood
Home and Poetry Hotel Athens 16 rooms from £157
This charming hotel is located in Plaka, central Athens. Rooms are dressed in a neoclassical style with period furnishings; the best suites have separate living space and exposed stone walls. Sample the hotel restaurant or enjoy in-room dining before relaxing on the roof terrace. A romantic stay.Families - The family suites are perfect for parents travelling with children, with separate living space and extra mattressesRomantic Break - Couples will love the neoclassical style of the hotel's cosy rooms and the romantic roof terraceCity Style - Situated within a heritage building in central Athens, this hotel is a classic city stayLocal markets - See how the locals shop with a trip to Central Municipal Athens Market; you can now eat at restaurants in the market itself
Sofitel Athens Airport Athens (Spata) 345 rooms from £164
For those arriving late or leaving early in or out of Athens International Airport or on ferries to and from nearby Rafina, the five-star Sofitel is the number one choice.Sailing - Yacht charter at nearby Porto Rafti marina.Sights nearby - Less than ten miles from Athens.SpaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
The Foundry Athens 12 rooms from £170
This boutique hotel sits in the historic district of Psyrri in Athens. Originally a foundry, the hotel now blends industrial and modern design; custom-made gear mechanisms sit alongside luxurious textured wallpaper and marble accents. Don't miss the beautiful rooftop garden. A unique urban hotel.City Style - Located in a former industrial building with custom-made design pieces, this hotel has reams of contemporary styleLocal exploring - With its central location, this hotel is the perfect starting point for your local exploring in AthensGroups - The hotel's spacious apartments are perfect for groups and can sleep up to four peopleLocal markets - See how the local shop with a trip to the Central Municipal Athens Market, a bustling fruit and vegetable market
Herodion Hotel Athens (Acropolis) 90 rooms from £188
An elegant family-run boutique, overlooking the Acropolis. The rooms offer stylish furnishings, parquet floors, original artworks and some boast balconies with remarkable views. The rooftop restaurant is a popular spot, as is the glasshouse bistro bar downstairs. A unique and refreshing stay.Local exploring - Sitting in prime position right under the Acropolis, this is an elegant spot from which to soak up this ancient citySights nearby - Nestled right under the Acropolis this hotel is ideally placed for taking in the city's sightsOutstanding locationFull of character
Ava Hotel & Suites Athens (105 58 Plaka) 15 rooms from £198
A refined and elegant hotel offering spacious suites in Plaka, central Athens. Generous suites offer comfortable beds, grown up decor and fully stocked kitchenettes. Breakfast and lights snacks are served at the cafe. Proximity to the city's sights and helpful staff will ensure you enjoy your stay.Families - Perfect for your family getaway- the largest suites can easily accommodate a family of five, and all suites offer kitchenettesLocal markets - The Plaka, a well known shopping district is just around the corner and offers charming streets filled with shops and tavernasSights nearby - Perfectly placed for exploring the sights- just a ten minute walks from the Acropolis, Hadrian’s Arch and the Temple of ZeusFull of character
King George Palace Athens 102 rooms from £271
A neoclassical grand dame hotel, in the historic Syntagma Square. Opulent interiors with hardwood floors, classical furnishings and stunning views of the Parthenon. Everything you would expect of five star luxury- with some contemporary twists.Views - Fantastic views of the Parthenon.Great walks - Wander the labyrinthine streets of Plaka, absorb the beautiful neoclassical architecture in this ancient neightbourhood.Sights nearby - A short walk to the Acropolis, containing the remains of several ancient buildings, the most famous being the Parthenon.Full of characterRecommended by - Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel, Fodors
Noble Suites Athens 16 rooms from £334
This boutique hotel is located at the foot of the Acropolis. Suites are dressed in a neoclassical style in keeping with the hotel's heritage; expect plush linens and period furniture. The best rooms have ample living space, original fireplaces and views of the Acropolis. A stately and refined hotel.Local exploring - Situated at the foot of the Acropolis, this hotel is the perfect base for local sightseeing in AthensCity Style - Situated in a neoclassical building in the heart of Athens, this hotel has plenty of city styleFamilies - Spacious suites can accommodate children, and are perfect for small familiesGreat walks - Take a walk through the park at Filopappos Hill and climb the hill for beautiful views over the city
Hotel Grande Bretagne Athens (Syntagma Square) 320 rooms from £346
A historic hotel in the heart of Athens. Find elegance in abundance throughout. Gorgeous rooms with high ceilings, large windows and filled with antiques. The marble clad bathrooms aren't bad either. A fine-dining restaurant and glamorous bar for nights of indulgence. Highly recommended.City Style - The height of glamour, this is a must stay for total indulgence.Local exploring - Well located for easy access to the city's main attractions.Sights nearby - Athens is famed for its historical monuments. Just a few of the must sees are the Parthenon, Acropolis and Byzantino.Swimming Pool - Outdoor and indoor pool.Recommended by - Tablet