Search the best hotels in Athens
Athens is still cool. Sure, it’s Europe’s oldest city, but it's far from staid, and its 5th century BC temples and treasures brim with life. Athens has always been such a lively creative place that it’s constantly being imagined anew. There always seem to be new businesses: new places to eat, fresh art and architecture, fresh music and dance, and fresh political street art. And that goes for some of the best places to stay in Athens too. There's a new raft of chic design hotels jostling for position with the traditional Grand Dames that are still going strong. Not forgetting the growing number of boutique B&Bs that are popping up all over the city too!
Since the 2004 Olympics, Athens has had a metro and tram system, and a lot of the centre of town was closed to cars, so it’s now easier than ever to get around. Many of the best places to stay in Athens had a makeover at this time too, and a couple of big, new hotels opened, but the majority of places to stay here are still smaller, independent properties. You’ll find some of our recommendations for Athens' best hotels on broad avenues, or grand, 19th century plazas, some close to the shores and sea breezes of the Gulf of Attica, and some in buzzy neighbourhoods of narrow streets, geranium-filled window-boxes and leafy squares. But wherever you stay you’ll notice that there’s a lot of life being lived outdoors here, on the street and in the square, and so if you pick a great neighbourhood you might end up sharing in some music or backgammon of an evening.
This city is beautiful. Most visitors are lured by the museums and millennia old architecture, but subsequent visits might be for the fantastic old tavernas, incredible markets, modern art galleries, and districts where every wall is daubed with the technicolour work of 21st-century street artists.
Some of our Athens Collections:
- The Complete Guide for Where to Stay in Athens
- The 14 Most Luxurious Hotels in Athens
- 8 of the Best Hotels for Families in Athens
- 10 of the Best Hotels with Pools in Athens
- 12 of the Best Hotel Rooftop Bars in Athens
- 5 of the Best Value Hotels in Athens
- 6 Great Hotels near Athens's Flea Market
- 8 of Athens’s Best Beach Hotels
- 8 of the Best Hotels for an Athens Stopover
Where to Stay - Which Neighbourhood?
- Syntagma Square is the city's grand central hub and busily beating heart. Home to Greece's Parliament and to some of the city's most luxurious hotels, it's close to the Acropolis and museums like the National Archaeological Museum and Benaki Museum – and to some of the city's best shopping. Cafés beneath palm trees on, and around the square, are great for people-watching, and from Syntagma you can stroll (or bar-hop) to the Acropolis, Roman Agora and Temple of Olympian Zeus in 15-20 minutes, or walk to Monastiraki with its funky markets and grill restaurants.
- Many of the best places to stay in Athens cluster in historic Plaka, beneath the Acropolis. It's a labyrinth of car-free streets, dotted with ancient sites and packed with open-air cafés and tavernas. You're right in the centre here, just 10 mins from Syntagma Square.
- Monastiraki, about 1km west of Syntagma, or one stop on the metro, is best known for its vast flea market. With streets and alleys crammed with shops selling everything from genuine antiques and worthless junk to gold and silver jewellery, attractive linen clothes and handmade sandals, Monastiraki's seemingly endless flea market is at its liveliest on a Sunday morning. Stay here and you’re also right next to the Ancient Agora, so it's a good sightseeing base. Its main square is famed for traditional restaurants serving grilled lamb, chicken, and pork at rickety outdoor tables.
- Psyrri, just north of Monastiraki, has become Athens's most happening neighbourhood. Artisans' workshops, old-school souvlaki joints, hip cafés and boho music bars jostle for space on streets where walls have become galleries of psychedelic street art. Psyrri is also about 1km (or one metro stop) from Syntagma.
- Plan to spend a night in Piraeus if you have to catch an early morning island ferry next day. You'll find some good places to eat, drink, and enjoy the evening in this bustling waterfront west of the city centre. Piraeus is 10kms from the centre of Athens, or eight stops on the metro.
- Koukaki and Makrigianni are the perfect neighbourhoods if you’re all about the Acropolis. It’s just a few blocks' walk from these areas, which are also only ten minutes from Syntagma Square. Or two stops on the metro.
- Kolonaki is one of the most up-market neighbourhoods in Athens, with chi-chi galleries and designer boutiques surrounded by squares filled with elegant cafes. As well as being fancy and elegant, this part of town is also only one kilometre from Syntagma Square, or one metro stop.
- Cool, green Kifissia is a sanctuary-like escape from the hubbub of downtown Athens. Its smart shops, glitzy bars, and super eateries offer a great array of choice, but it is quite a long way from the centre of town, a good 25minutes on the metro.
- Gritty but groovy, Metaxourgeío is the neighbourhood offering a good mix of value-for-money places to stay, funky nightlife, easy access to top attractions, and a real slice of life in 21st-century Athens. Yet it's still fairly central, only two kilometres from Syntagma, or three metro stops.
- Exarchia is home to the incredible collections of the National Archaeological Museum, the world's most important collection of ancient Greek art. It's also the city's counter-cultural hub - a college neighbourhood with a youthful vibe, and offbeat and adventurous nightlife. And Exarchia is only about a kilometre and a half from the centre of town. It’s also a great place to spend an evening listening to authentic rembetika music if you want to visit of an evening.
- Omonia is the place to base yourself if you're on a flying visit to Athens and want to make the most of your time. A hub for metro, tram and bus lines heading in all directions, this central neighbourhood offers value-for-money accommodation. The National Archaeological Museum and the colourful Central Market are within walking distance. Omonia is 1km or two metro stops from Syntagma Square.
- Just outside Athens, around the Gulf of Attica, you’ll find a number of spectacular ruins and antiquities, including Sounion’s Temple of Poseidon, and the ancient town of Eleusis. Athens is also only a marathon from Marathon. There are plenty of gorgeous beaches along the coast too.
This city is a popular destination year round, but especially so during the peak summer months. So if you're planning your trip for July or August, and want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Athens, do your homework and book well ahead.
The Best Places to Stay in Athens
For a city break
- AthensWas is a great city break choice, a super stylish, 21 room hotel with a retro-mimimal feel and pretty close-up views of the Acropolis. Oozing with chic, it's housed in a former apartment building, totally smartened up with gleaming marble and walnut and modern-vintage furnishings. But it still feels intimate. The breakfasts are indulgent and there’s a rooftop restaurant and bar.
- InnAthens is another small, city break pick in a fantastic location, this time just off Syntagma Square. It’s super central for sightseeing, but still feels quite tranquil, and the 22 rooms and suites have wood floors and white walls and linen for a cool, minimalist look. Our favourite rooms have a balcony, and you can have your traditional Greek breakfast served there of a morning if you fancy.
- Plaka’s The Zillers, is one of out Guru’s favourite boutique hideyholes in Athens, a ten room hotel with fantastic Acropolis views from the roof garden, and minimal, urban-feeling rooms and suites. They even have a few spacious family suites.
For a stunning view
- The St George Lycabettus is an Athens grande dame, with an incredible rooftop pool and terrace overlooking all of Athens and, most importantly for many, the Acropolis. The best of the 154 rooms and suites here share the same incredible view. The range of rooms is excellent, with some quite simple, yet chic options at the great value end of the scale and some quite impressive suites, complete with vast private balconies, at the other. The Kolonaki location isn’t the most central but it’s still very convenient.
- For something more central, but still with a pool-with-an-Arcopolis-view, consider the Electra Metropolis, which also has several bars with a view, and restaurants with a view too. This 261 room, retro-chic hotel is big by Athens’s standards, and it’s got the great facilities of a larger hotel. And it’s a great choice for couples and families, with plenty of perks for each.
- The grand King George Palace also has a pool-with-an-Acropolis view, and its location, on historic Syntagma Square is difficult to beat. And, of course, this is a beautiful hotel too, a Neoclassical style charmer with 102 rooms and suites featuring parquet floors, elegant stucco features, classical furnishings and chandeliers. Get up early and to bag an outdoor terrace table with killer views at the Tudor Hall restaurant on the top floor, used for lavish buffet breakfasts. Alternatively book a table for alfresco à la carte dinner with views of the illuminated Parthenon.
- The Herodion Hotel is much closer to the Acropolis, but the views are still pretty impressive, especially from the rooftop restaurant — which is also known for its cocktails and its gourmet Mediterranean and Greek dishes — from the terrace, or one of the two rooftop hot tubs. There are 90 rooms and suites, the best with private balconies and the same view. The Gurus especially like the service here, this hotel has been run by the same family for generations and you can really tell.
Some of the Hippest Places to Stay in Athens
- The Fresh Hotel is a love letter from contemporary Athens to the 60s, with minimal monochrome decor, interrupted with splashes of Pop Art colour. The Omonia location is super central, with easy airport access too if you’re only here for a long weekend. And there’s a cool vibe, from its rooftop pool and open-air bar, to the classy cocktail bar and restaurant, and the hammam and steam rooms in the spa. The view over Plaka is fantastic too.
- Kolonaki’s Hotel Periscope is a smart, boutique hotel, ideal for the design-conscious visitor. It has 21 minimalist rooms and suites, with shiny wood flooring, lots of light, lots of white, and walls that feature specially commissioned artworks. There’s a hip lounge too, and the Penthouse Suite has a roof terrace with a private hot tub.
- Psyrri’s Andronis Athens is a collection of just six luxurious designer suites, with split-level living and private terraces. The decor is quirky (you might want to have a look at a few of the rooms) and the location is perfect for sightseeing. There’s a trendy cafe/restaurant too, and they have bikes you can borrow to help with your explorations.
- With its wedding-cake, pink-and-cream stucco facade, Plaka’s Kefalari Suites exude a quirky charm. Inside this 19th-century millionaire's mansion you'll find 13 simply, but individually, designed suites, all with their own private terraces. There's also a rooftop whirlpool. There’s no restaurant, but they do offer an in-room breakfast, and there’s plenty of space in the suites for it.
- Cleverly converted from an old Monastiraki warehouse, and still featuring an industrial edge in the decor, 18 Micon Street is a stylish city break hotel with 15 rooms and suites, a couple of them perfect for families. Perks for younger children include an array of toys in the bunk-bedded family suites, and the colourful shops in the labyrinthine flea market will please younger shoppers with pocket money to spend.
- The Noble Suites are a collection of 16 elegant boutique hotel suites at the very foot of the Acropolis. All of the rooms are spacious, but the family suites especially so. They also offer a babysitting service, and an in-room breakfast. The decor is neoclassical, but not too fancy, and the best rooms have views of the Acropolis.
- None of our Gurus know what the choice of name means, but they agree that Plaka’s Home and Poetry hotel is a good pick for families. It’s central, small — with only 16 rooms and suites, it’s elegant and unfussy, and its family suites are huge, with separate living space. The roof terrace views are the perfect spot for photos.
- If you want classical luxury in a classical setting below the Acropolis, book the grande dame Hotel Grande Bretagne. This is an historic hotel on Syntagma Square, with 320 gorgeous rooms and suites, with high ceilings, large windows, marble bathrooms and elegant antiques. This is a big hotel, with the facilities to match, like a choice of restaurants, including fine dining, and a choice of bars, including one on the rooftop, an outdoor pool terrace with a great view, not forgetting the luxurious gym and spa.
- The NJV Athens Plaza is just across the square, so the location is just as perfect, but this might be more your style if you prefer contemporary decor in the colour palette of natural stone. The best of the 180 rooms and suites have private balconies with views of the Acropolis. The hotel restaurant is freshly renovated, but we also like the bar menu.
For great value
- On the edge of funky Exarchia, just five minutes from the National Archaeological Museum, the Areos Hotel is a smart, 40 room city hotel with simple, unfussy decor and big windows — the best rooms also have their own private balconies, and even a jacuzzi, as well as the great views. There’s a great cafe and restaurant, and a locally sourced breakfast is included in the affordable room rate.
- Plaka’s Sweet Home Hotel is a 14 room property in a heritage building in central Athens. The best rooms have Acropolis views, and all of them have artworks and elegant features. The family suites have connecting doors between rooms.
- It’s nice to be able to include a hotel with the word ‘luxury’ in its name in the Best Value section, and the Athens Mansion Luxury Suites fits that bill. These 18 suites have been converted from a stately 1930s mansion in the heart of Athens; now they’re spacious, and decorated in a neoclassical style, with chandeliers, marble tables and luxurious draped curtains. All the suites have a balcony with a view and there’s a rooftop bar too. There’s no restaurant, but there is a very nice one just next door!
Prefer an Apartment or Villa?
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner, booking.com.
- International visitors usually arrive into Athens International Airport, which is about 40 kilometres outside the centre of town, which equates to a relatively short metro trip, or a bus or taxi. Cruise ships dock at Piraeus, which is 20-30 minutes away from the centre of town via a shuttle bus.
- If you’re thinking about hiring a car we recommend checking what our online partners, Rentalcars have to offer.
- Athens is really hot and busy during the summer months, with daily maximums averaging out in the mid-30s, and lots of people enjoying the sites and sights. If you can it’s probably a good idea to avoid this peak period and visit in May, June, September or October, as you’ll still get lots of warmth and sunshine, but it won’t be quite so hot and busy. It’ll still be nice by the pool, or in the sea then too. During the winter months the sunshine drops off, with just three hours in December and January, but it’s still fairly mild and Mediterranean. The museums are nice and quiet, though!
Still not sure?
- You could refine your search to our recommendations for 8 of the Best Hotels in Plaka, 6 of the Best Hotels in Psyrri, or the best hotels in Koukaki close to the Acropolis.
- Or search by your requirements and consider our list of The 14 Most Luxurious Hotels in Athens, 8 of the Best Hotels for Families in Athens or 5 of the Best Value Hotels in Athens.
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Best Hotels in Athens
Sweet Home Hotel Athens (Plaka) 14 rooms from £62Families - The family suites are designed for those travelling with children, and have a useful interconnecting doorCity Style - This hotel, located in a beautifully restored heritage building, has plenty of Athenian styleRomantic Break - The classic style of the hotel and the relaxed ambience make it a popular choice with couplesLocal markets - A trip to Athens wouldn't be complete without visiting the Monastiraki Flea Market, located a stone's throw from the hotelRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
This hotel occupies a restored heritage building in central Athens. The best rooms offer magnificent views of the Acropolis and boast artworks from the Benaki Museum. Family suites offer a handy connecting door between rooms. Enjoy a classic Greek breakfast in your room. A charming, homely hotel. See More
Piraeus City Hotel Athens (Piraeus) 47 rooms from £68Hideaway - Sitting opposite the port, outside of the busy city centre, this hotel is a great hideaway holiday destinationLocal exploring - Located a stone's throw from the port, this hotel is a great base for exploring local islands by ferryFamilies - The family rooms in this hotel are perfect for parents travelling with childrenGreat walks - Discover the ancient city of Athens with a guided walking tour; trains into the city from the hotel are inexpensive
This newly renovated hotel sits opposite the central port of Piraeus. Rooms are bright and modern with comfortable beds and large windows; the best rooms have a furnished balcony with views of the port. Don't miss the hotel's roof garden restaurant, serving traditional Greel dishes. A smart hotel. See More
Athens Mansion Luxury Suites Athens 18 rooms from £71Local exploring - Located in the heart of Athens close to all the main attractions, this is a great base for local exploringRomantic Break - The luxurious interior design and plush beds make this hotel a favourite with couplesCity Style - Step back in time and enjoy neoclassical Greek style at this romantic Athens hotelSights nearby - Visit the car-free island of Hydra; hop on a ferry and spend the day in a tranquil, pollution-free zone
A stately mansion in the heart of Athens' city centre. Spacious rooms are dressed in a neoclassical style with chandeliers, luxuriously draped curtains and plush linens. All rooms boast a balcony with views over the historic city. Enjoy dinner in the adjoining restaurant at this regal guesthouse. See More
Areos Hotel Athens 40 rooms from £78Hideaway - Located just outside of the busiest part of central Athens, this is a great hideaway from the tourist crowdsValue chic - With contemporary accommodation from as little as €90 per night including breakfast, it's excellent value.City Style - The smart interior design of this hotel makes it a stylish city stayGreat walks - Take a walk through the National Garden, a park with botanical plants and historic ruinsRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
Neighbouring the verdant Areos Park in central Athens, Areos Hotel's rooms are elegant and spacious with a contemporary finish; the best offer a private jacuzzi or a balcony with fantastic views. Enjoy a breakfast of local Greek produce in the Café Bar to start your day. A smart city hotel. See More
Alice Inn Athens 4 rooms from £78Romantic Break - The Betty Boop Suite, with its bright private patio, is perfect for couplesFamilies - The self-catering facilities and spacious apartments are great for familiesCity Style - The unique design of these apartments makes for a stylish city staySights nearby - Visit Hadrian's Arch, a historic monument located a short walk from the hotelRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
This quirky bed and breakfast sits at the foot of the Acropolis. Suites are named after famous icons and are individually styled; the best offer private terraces and a fireplace. Expect bright, airy rooms and vintage design pieces. The self-catering facilities are perfect for groups. A unique B&B. See More
Hermes Hotel Athens 45 rooms from £86Value chicLocal markets - Pedestrian Plaka district where you'll find flea markets, souvenirs, leather goods, pottery, tavernas, cafés.Sights nearby - Acropolis citadel.Great walks - Filopappos Hill.Recommended by - I Escape
A charming contemporary hotel in a great location, and great value. Doubles, triples, and family rooms all modern in style with private balconies. Wonderful roof terrace and walking distance to restaurants and sights around. A great choice for families and groups of friends on a shoe string. See More
The Alex, Piraeus Athens 34 rooms from £90Local exploring - The Alex is ideally positioned to access Piraeus's main attractions and is a great base for exploring AthensGreat walks - Wander through the cultural area of Maniatika where seemingly time has stood stillDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Views - Great views from hotel
A contemporary offering in the heart of lively Piraeus. Smart rooms have a luxurious feel with sink-into beds, minimalist furniture, local modern art and indulgent bathrooms. The rooftop plays host to a bar and Mediterranean restaurant and boasts spectacular sea views. A chic choice. See More
Pallas Athena Athens (Kotzia sq.) 63 rooms from £94Foodies - Unique presentations of traditional Greek food.Romantic BreakCity StyleBoutique
St George Lycabettus Athens 154 rooms from £99City Style - In the city's most exclusive neighbourhood, with excellent views of the Acropolis from the sleek rooms and hip rooftop bar.Swimming Pool - Outdoor PoolLively - Hip and happening.Full of characterRecommended by - Frommers, Michelin Travel, Fodors
Hotel Periscope Athens 21 rooms from £102Local exploring - A good central base from which you can easily get to all of Athens's best bits!City Style - A chic, minimalist style base in upmarket Kolonaki.Sights nearby - Acropolis. 10 mins walk from Syntagma SquarePrivate Hot Tub - If you book the Penthouse SuiteRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet
A smart boutique hotel in upmarket Kolonaki. Minimalist style rooms and suites have shiny parquet floors, all the mod cons, lots of natural light and walls adorned with specially commissioned artworks. Smart lounge area for breakfast and all day long exec lounge style buffet. See More
Athens Lotus Hotel Athens (Plateia Karaiskaki) 31 rooms from £103City Style - Having undergone a recent renovation, this hotel has bags of contemporary Athenian styleRomantic Break - Couples will love the luxurious linens and sink-in beds of the hotel's rooms and suitesLocal exploring - With its central location, this hotel makes a great base for local exploringSights nearby - Visit the Acropolis, an iconic, 5th-century B.C temple complex on Athens' rocky hilltop
This heritage hotel is located in Athens' city centre. Individually styled rooms have modern interior design with luxurious, Egyptian cotton sheets and comfortable beds. The best suite occupies the entire fifth floor and has a separate living and dining area. Dine at the restaurant; a classic stay. See More
360 Degrees Hotel Athens 20 rooms from £104Local exploring - Located next to Hadrian's Library and Monastiraki Flea Market, this hotel is a great starting point for local exploringRomantic Break - Couples love the romantic roof terrace at night, with signature cocktails and stunning views over the historic cityCity Style - With unique design pieces and individually styled rooms, this hotel has reams of city styleLocal markets - Wander round Monastiraki Flea Market, a short walk from the hotel, and bag a bargain to take homeRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
This charming hotel is nestled in the heart of historic Athens. Individually styled rooms have unique, vintage design pieces and views of the city sights. Stay in the Junior Suite to enjoy a pretty outdoor patio. Drink at the rooftop bar for majestic views of the Acropolis. An intimate guesthouse. See More
Acropolis Museum Boutique Hotel Athens (Acropolis) 23 rooms from £104Local exploring - Situated in central Athens, the Acropolis Boutique Hotel is a fantastic base from which to get to know the cityGreat walks - Wander through this spectacular ancient city taking in the beautiful architectureSights nearby - Acropolis, Anafiotika and Monastiraki Square are all just a short distance awayLocal markets - The bustling Dimotiki Agora (Central Market) is a must-visit!Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
Fresh Hotel Athens 136 rooms from £104Romantic Break - A hip spot for young couples- Tassos Zepos design interiors and achingly cool rooftop bar with pool and views of the Acropolis.Total relaxation - For those looking to unwind, take the suites featuring Zen Gardens and make the most of the Hammam, spa and steam rooms!Local markets - The food markets along nearby Athinas street sell herbs, honey, sweets, nuts and fresh fish, a lively and interesting sight.Great walks - Wander through the ancient Plaka district for flea markets, souvenirs, leather goods, pottery, tavernas and cafés.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
Luxury meets minimal to make a statement at this colourful boutique hotel in the centre of Athens. Spacious and stylish rooms come with all the mod-cons. Admire the sunset from the rooftop pool and open-air bar. Top notch breakfast buffet at Magenta Restaurant. Great for romantics and explorers. See More
Coco Mat Hotel Nafsika Athens 22 rooms from £108Local markets - Visit the nearby local market at Zotos.
Smart and sleek, Coco Mat Hotel Nafsika is a stylish, modern hotel on the outskirts of Athens. The comfortable rooms feature crisp colour schemes and minimalist furnishings. Downstairs guests can enjoy delicious Greek specialities in the restaurant. Perfect for a romantic break to Athens. See More
18 Micon Street Athens 15 rooms from £111Families - The family suite provides a triple bunkbed, funky alphabet wallpaper and toys! Plus, the city will provide constant activityLocal exploring - Located in buzzing downtown Athens; bars, coffee-shops and galleries are endless. Not to mention famous ancient ruins!Honeymoons - Downtown Athens is a place of romance - winding historic streets, ancient ruins and the tremendous ParthenonCity Style - Top floor suites are huge and offer breathtaking terrace and city views
Housed in a once-abandoned warehouse, this is now a trendy hotel perfect for a stylish city-stay. The design is distinctly industrial with exposed brick, grey hues and sharp lines. Chic bedrooms and top-floor suites overlook the Acropolis while Athens' downtown district is right on your doorstep. See More
Divani Caravel Hotel Athens 471 rooms from £115Local exploring - An ideal base for exploring with good transport links and easy access to the Kolonaki shopping district, museums and monumentsSights nearby - A visit to the Acropolis is a must, home to the Parthenon and several other ancient Greek monumentsSwimming Pool - Indoor and outdoor pool, rooftop poolLocal markets - Good for local colour.
A luxury hotel perfectly located in central Athens. Functionality is the key word, with restaurant, shop, bar and lobby laid in an open plan style. Rooms range from simple bright and contemporary to more sumptuous suites. Expect top notch facilities including a rooftop pool, spa and superb cuisine! See More
Kefalari Suites Athens 13 rooms from £117Romantic BreakCity StyleLocal markets - 19-century Plaka district with its flea markets, souvenir stalls, leather goods, pottery, tavernas, cafés.Great walks - Filopappos hill or in the forests and gorges of Mt. Parnitha (45 minutes by taxi).Recommended by - I Escape
Andronis Athens Athens 6 rooms from £121Local exploring - With the historic centre of Athens on your doorstep, there is plenty of local exploring to do from this hotelCity Style - Located in the middle of all the action, this hotel is perfect for exploring Athens in styleRomantic Break - The suites with private roof terraces are great for couples on a romantic getawaySights nearby - With great views of the Acropolis from your terrace, it will be easy to start your sightseeing from the hotel itself
These luxury suites are located in the bustling heart of Psirri, Athens. The best of the quirky rooms are split-level and have a private roof terrace with fantastic views of the Acropolis. Enjoy a soak in the claw-foot bath before having a snack at the iFeel café. A trendy, bohemian city hotel. See More
The Zillers Athens 10 rooms from £124Romantic Break - Couples love the romantic roof garden bar and café, with great views over the historic cityCity Style - Situated in a lovingly restored heritage building, this hotel has plenty of city styleFamilies - The spacious family suites are perfect for those travelling with childrenSights nearby - Visit the Acropolis, the ruins of an iconic 5th-century B.C. temple complex a stone's throw from the hotel
This boutique hotel is set within the picturesque neighbourhood of Plaka. Located in a heritage building, the hotel underwent a full renovation and now offers modern rooms and suites with design pieces that nod to local style. Unwind with a drink at the urban roof garden; a stylish city getaway. See More
NLH Fix Athens 13 rooms from £125Families - With suites designed to accommodate families and additional services for children available, this hotel is great for parentsLocal exploring - Situated at the foot of the Acropolis with great transport links, this hotel is the perfect base for local exploringCity Style - With its focus on local culture, this hotel is a great way to discover Athenian styleSights nearby - Visit the Acropolis, an ancient citadel containing buildings of great archaeological significance visible from the hotel
This new Athens hotel sits at the foot of the Acropolis in Koukaki. Located in the city's cultural hub, the hotel offers bright, modern rooms with COCO-MAT beds and marble bathrooms. Suites offer a self-catering kitchenette while the attic room boasts a pretty private terrace. A smart city stay. See More
Cocomat Hotel Athens Athens (Athina 106 75) 39 rooms from £126Local exploring - Boasting a prime location in one of Athens' most high-end districts, this is the ideal base form which to explore in styleSights nearby - A visit to the Acropolis, one of the most important sites in the western world, and to the glorious Parthenon are a mustViews - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.
Life Gallery Athens (Anixi) 29 rooms from £126City Style - Although its location is not the most central Life Gallery is a very chic option and with great facilities too.LuxuryRomantic BreakSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool with a feature glass wallRecommended by - CN Traveller
A very special hotel. Modern chic design, contemporary art works, zen spaces curated specially for relaxation and meditation, a superb restaurant, and a luxury spa. Rooms, studios and suites are romantic, contemporary, and sophisticated. A unique hotel for the luxury customer. See More
Perianth Hotel Athens 38 rooms from £130City Style - Designed by Greece's hottest architects, K-Studio, the interiors are bold and contemporary with a Grecian twistLocal markets - Monastiraki flea market is just a ten minute walk away and well worth checking outSights nearby - You are just a 15 minute stroll from the AcropolisRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Design Hotels
A happening hotel in the heart of Athens' cutting edge Agia Irini Square. The interiors and contemporary art collection have been carefully crafted by K-Studio to represent the stylish modern Greek. The cafe restaurant is a great spot to sit and soak it all in and the breakfast is excellent. See More
Urban Frame Hotel Athens (Plaka) 15 rooms from £119Local exploring - Well located in the Plaka district with many of the city's main attractions within walking distanceSights nearby - Take the Ancient Promenade and tick off some of the city's most famed attractions including the AcropolisRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A chic contemporary hotel offering a very central location. Rooms are compact but well designed with white-on-white style, in-room showers and large picture frame windows. The laid-back restaurant serves casual food on the terrace and the staff have excellent local knowledge. A superb city crashpad. See More
MET34 Athens 7 rooms from £134City Style - Located a stone's throw from the main attractions in the centre of Athens, this is a great base for a city breakFamilies - The larger suites offer full self-catering and lots of living space, perfect for those travelling with kidsGroups - Groups will be happy with the size of the suites, which can sleep up to six and have cooking facilitiesLocal markets - Visit Athens' central market Varvakeios for a taste of how the locals shop; expect heady smells and a cacophony of sounds
This stylish hotel is located in the centre of Athens, close to the cathedral and Syntagma Square. The best of the contemporary rooms and self-catering suites have king-size beds, fully equipped kitchens and marble bathrooms. The suites are a great size for families or groups. A modern city stay. See More
Novus City Hotel Athens 85 rooms from £134Local exploring - Located in the heart of the artsy district of Athens, this hotel is a great base for local exploringFamilies - Family rooms are great for those travelling with children, and kids love the hotel poolCity Style - With a bright and modern finish, this four-star hotel is stylish and luxuriousSights nearby - Visit the Roman Forum, the remains of an agora built by the Romans from 19-11 B.C.
This modern, four-star hotel is situated in Karaiskaki Square, the cultural centre of Athens. Rooms are individually styled in a lively palette, with hand-selected design pieces; the best suites offer a private terrace. Relax by the hotel pool or at the sleek rooftop bar. A contemporary city stay. See More
InnAthens Athens (Syntagma) 22 rooms from £137Romantic Break - An elegant and tranquil hideaway- think plush bedding, cool marble bathrooms and balconies overlooking the cityLocal exploring - With so many historic sights on your doorstep you'd be amiss not to take in all that Athens has to offerSights nearby - Visit the tiny and scenic Anafiotika neighbourhood located on the Acropolis hillGreat walks - Take a leisurely stroll through the city's Zappion National Gardens
InnAthens offers chic contemporary accommodation in a quiet but central location a short walk from Syntagma Square. Each room features Cocomat mattresses and marble bathrooms with Olive amenities. Enjoy a traditional Greek breakfast on your balcony each morning. A stylish stay, in a great spot! See More
AthensWas Athens 21 rooms from £143Foodies - The rooftop restaurant serves Greek-Mediterranean cuisine with French and Japanese influences, accompanied by spectacular views.Local exploring - Just metres away from The Temple of Olympion Zeus and many of Athen's sights.Sights nearby - The Temple of Olympion Zeus, Syntagma Square and many more sights are within walking distance.Great walks - Take a stroll along Dionysiou Areopagitou - the most scenic street in Athens.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Design Hotels, Tablet
Classic modernism in the heart of ancient Athens. A sleek stay providing hard to beat views of the Acropolis and the city. Retro-chic rooms feature contemporary, marble-clad bathrooms and well-stocked minibars. Enjoy an indulgent breakfast before seeing the sights that lie on your doorstep. See More
Semiramis Hotel Athens (Kifissia) 51 rooms from £144City Style - Über design hotel down to every detail and brimming with artworks gives a quirky twist to a trip to historic GreeceSights nearby - Thirty minutes from historic Athens' sightsDesigner - Karim RashidSpaRecommended by - Tablet, Design Hotels, Kiwi Collection
5* designer hotel in quiet suburb of city. Eclectic interiors have eye-catching lighting features, white furnishings and quirky bathrooms, with floor to ceiling windows. Outdoor pool, spa, sauna and gym. Fusion Mediterranean cuisine in chic restaurant, buzzy bar lounge. Colourful, modern and unique. See More
O&B Athens Boutique Hotel Athens 22 rooms from £148Views - Great views from hotelCity StyleGreat walks - Filopappos Hill for excellent views over Athens.Local markets - Monastiraki flea market on a Sunday.Recommended by - I Escape
A for Athens Athens (Monastiraki) 35 rooms from £148Romantic Break - A perfect romantic getaway- fantastic food, great cocktails and remarkable Acropolis views from the rooftop restaurantClose to nightlife - Monastiraki Square is just across the street and is a hotspot for bars, eateries, markets and lively street scenesGreat walks - Centrally located in one of Athens most vibrant neighbourhoods, be sure to wander the streets and soak it all inSights nearby - As you can probably tell from the views, you are only a 15 minute walk to the AcropolisRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
An elegant and sought after hotel overlooking the Acropolis in central Athens. The rooms are simple and stylish with hardwood floors, artsy light fixtures and the odd marble sculpture; some offer balconies. The rooftop bar serves incredible cocktails and their Greek cuisine is excellent. Wonderful! See More
New Hotel Athens 72 rooms from £150Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.City StyleSights nearby - 200m from Constitution Square and walking distance from all the city's major attractionsSpaRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Ergon House Athens 38 rooms from £151Foodies - The entire ground floor is dedicated to food with a superb Greek restaurant plus a greengrocer, a butcher and a fishmonger!Great walks - Take a stroll through pretty Plaka, a village within the city and one of the oldest inhabited neighbourhoods in the worldCooking classes - Take one of the hotel's cooking classes that starts by teaching you about the produce in the food hallSights nearby - Visit the Acropolis and its adjoining museumRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A foodie's paradise, this hotel has an entire floor dedicated to it. From a food hall to a deli and a noteworthy restaurant, this is a destination in itself. Upstairs the rooms have a minimalistic Japanese feel with polished wood, brass fittings and simple greys and whites. A very chic city base. See More
Electra Metropolis Athens 216 rooms from £156Families - Families will love this all-facilitating hotel - family suites, TVs, pool, spa and urban entertainment - something for everyoneLocal exploring - Get lost in the winding streets of this history-centric city. At the crossroads of modern urban culture and ancient historyRomantic Break - Athens is a romantic city full of history, art, ruins, museums, bustling night-life and cafe-culture on every street cornerSights nearby - The absolute perfect location for visiting the world's most famous ancient ruins atop of the Acropolis
A luxurious 5-star hotel offering elegant rooms and suites. Centrally located in downtown Athens, bustling urban entertainment is around every corner. The design is retro-chic and undeniably cool. A breathtaking rooftop with bar, pool and epic views of the Parthenon make this hotel a must-stay. See More
NJV Athens Plaza Athens (Constitution Square) 180 rooms from £156City Style - Located in the heart of Athens, this hotel has reams of city style. Explore the sights from this great central baseRomantic Break - The plush beds and great facilities make this hotel a favourite with couplesGreat walks - Discover historic Athens with a walk through the city; find your own routes or enquire at the hotel for a guided tourSights nearby - Visit the Acropolis, the most famous Athenian landmark where a former ancient settlement once stood
This five-star luxury hotel is located in the heart of Athens, in the historic Syntagma Square. The best of the contemporary suites offer private terraces with views of the magnificent Acropolis. Choose from the newly renovated restaurant or bar for a meal or refreshing drink. A stylish city hotel. See More
Home and Poetry Hotel Athens 16 rooms from £157Families - The family suites are perfect for parents travelling with children, with separate living space and extra mattressesRomantic Break - Couples will love the neoclassical style of the hotel's cosy rooms and the romantic roof terraceCity Style - Situated within a heritage building in central Athens, this hotel is a classic city stayLocal markets - See how the locals shop with a trip to Central Municipal Athens Market; you can now eat at restaurants in the market itself
This charming hotel is located in Plaka, central Athens. Rooms are dressed in a neoclassical style with period furnishings; the best suites have separate living space and exposed stone walls. Sample the hotel restaurant or enjoy in-room dining before relaxing on the roof terrace. A romantic stay. See More
Sofitel Athens Airport Athens (Spata) 345 rooms from £164Sailing - Yacht charter at nearby Porto Rafti marina.Sights nearby - Less than ten miles from Athens.SpaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
The Foundry Athens 12 rooms from £170City Style - Located in a former industrial building with custom-made design pieces, this hotel has reams of contemporary styleLocal exploring - With its central location, this hotel is the perfect starting point for your local exploring in AthensGroups - The hotel's spacious apartments are perfect for groups and can sleep up to four peopleLocal markets - See how the local shop with a trip to the Central Municipal Athens Market, a bustling fruit and vegetable market
This boutique hotel sits in the historic district of Psyrri in Athens. Originally a foundry, the hotel now blends industrial and modern design; custom-made gear mechanisms sit alongside luxurious textured wallpaper and marble accents. Don't miss the beautiful rooftop garden. A unique urban hotel. See More
Herodion Hotel Athens (Acropolis) 90 rooms from £188Local exploring - Sitting in prime position right under the Acropolis, this is an elegant spot from which to soak up this ancient citySights nearby - Nestled right under the Acropolis this hotel is ideally placed for taking in the city's sightsOutstanding locationFull of character
An elegant family-run boutique, overlooking the Acropolis. The rooms offer stylish furnishings, parquet floors, original artworks and some boast balconies with remarkable views. The rooftop restaurant is a popular spot, as is the glasshouse bistro bar downstairs. A unique and refreshing stay. See More
Ava Hotel & Suites Athens (105 58 Plaka) 15 rooms from £198Families - Perfect for your family getaway- the largest suites can easily accommodate a family of five, and all suites offer kitchenettesLocal markets - The Plaka, a well known shopping district is just around the corner and offers charming streets filled with shops and tavernasSights nearby - Perfectly placed for exploring the sights- just a ten minute walks from the Acropolis, Hadrian’s Arch and the Temple of ZeusFull of character
A refined and elegant hotel offering spacious suites in Plaka, central Athens. Generous suites offer comfortable beds, grown up decor and fully stocked kitchenettes. Breakfast and lights snacks are served at the cafe. Proximity to the city's sights and helpful staff will ensure you enjoy your stay. See More
King George Palace Athens 102 rooms from £271Views - Fantastic views of the Parthenon.Great walks - Wander the labyrinthine streets of Plaka, absorb the beautiful neoclassical architecture in this ancient neightbourhood.Sights nearby - A short walk to the Acropolis, containing the remains of several ancient buildings, the most famous being the Parthenon.Full of characterRecommended by - Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel, Fodors
Noble Suites Athens 16 rooms from £334Local exploring - Situated at the foot of the Acropolis, this hotel is the perfect base for local sightseeing in AthensCity Style - Situated in a neoclassical building in the heart of Athens, this hotel has plenty of city styleFamilies - Spacious suites can accommodate children, and are perfect for small familiesGreat walks - Take a walk through the park at Filopappos Hill and climb the hill for beautiful views over the city
This boutique hotel is located at the foot of the Acropolis. Suites are dressed in a neoclassical style in keeping with the hotel's heritage; expect plush linens and period furniture. The best rooms have ample living space, original fireplaces and views of the Acropolis. A stately and refined hotel. See More
Hotel Grande Bretagne Athens (Syntagma Square) 320 rooms from £346City Style - The height of glamour, this is a must stay for total indulgence.Local exploring - Well located for easy access to the city's main attractions.Sights nearby - Athens is famed for its historical monuments. Just a few of the must sees are the Parthenon, Acropolis and Byzantino.Swimming Pool - Outdoor and indoor pool.Recommended by - Tablet
A historic hotel in the heart of Athens. Find elegance in abundance throughout. Gorgeous rooms with high ceilings, large windows and filled with antiques. The marble clad bathrooms aren't bad either. A fine-dining restaurant and glamorous bar for nights of indulgence. Highly recommended. See More