Search the best hotels in Thessaloniki
You wouldn't think it from the photos, but Thessaloniki is Greece's second largest city. The layout is very walkable, with lovely low-rise buildings crowding around a generous, historic harbour. All roads run either to the sea or parallel to the sea. Relics from this city's past lives, under Roman, Ottoman and Byzantine rule, are scattered around, with more treasures seeming to turn up all the time. So the many world class museums are well stocked. Our pick of the best places to stay in Thessaloniki range from a chic boutique retreat to the city's largest hotel.
Things not to miss:
- The White Tower is Thessaloniki's most famous landmark and though it looks a statuesque beauty, it's got a pretty grizzly history. Only 75 people are allowed into the tower at once, so arrive early if you want a chance to see the view.
- Most of Thessonaliki's other sights are between the tower and the ferry port, along the arc of the Thermaic Gulf. There's a wonderful promenade along the waterfront, which runs for about four and a half kilometres.
- The Archaeological Museum is closest, and it's not just the inside, filled with important Macedonian artefacts, which is worth poking around, there are some interesting stone fragments and even some elegant sarcophagi scattered around the grounds.
- The Museum of Byzantine Culture is the other major museum. Thessaloniki also has a number of other museums devoted to specific eras of this city's history.
- The Olympic Museum is right at the other end of the bay.
- As well as museums and the promenade, there's the old Byzantine walls to stroll around, and the picturesque area around them. Thessaloniki is blessed with some wonderful Byzantine churches, built between the 5th and the 14th Century. The Agia Sophia and Agios Demetrios are especially impressive, but there are smaller ones dotted all over the city.
- The market at Modiano is a great place to mingle with locals and pick up some bargains.
- Its easy access from the rest of Europe and vibrant university community keep Thessaloniki fresh, hip and inventive. It's got a great restaurant scene and plenty of places to go after dark.
A wonderful mix of beauty, culture and history, the best places to stay in Thessaloniki tend to get busy in the summer months, so get organised and book well ahead.
The best places to stay in Thessaloniki
For a city break
- Crisp and contemporary, the City Hotel offers good value and easy design in whites, bright greens and natural light, so it's one of the best places to stay in Thessaloniki if you don't plan to spend much time in your hotel but want to enjoy the time you do spend there. The excellent restaurant and spa make it an even easier choice.
- The Excelsior is quite a bit grander, and closer to the beaches and many of the main historic sights, so it's another very easy base. If you're staying a bit longer this is the sort of hotel that can also help you arrange all sorts of local adventures, from sailing and snorkelling trips to shopping expeditions. The hotel also has panoramic views from the roof garden and a fantastic French bistro.
- One of the city's few remaining Ottoman buildings, the delightfully old school Capsis Bristol was originally Thessaloniki's post office. And its pink stucco facade has survived fire, earthquakes and two world wars. It's charming inside too, with deep, handmade carpets and a mixture of antique and reproduction furniture.
For grand charm
- If you're here to treat yourself then one of the best places to stay in Thessaloniki is the Makedonia Palace - a landmark hotel with memorable views over the gulf towards Mt. Olympus. The lobby feels like it could appear in one of the classic '60s Bond films, and the whole hotel retains a sort of jet-set charm that makes it a unique, vibrant place to stay in a unique, vibrant city.
For modern chic
- Fresh and modern, The Met Hotel specialises in a contemporary minimalist style. Featuring chic rooms, a lively bar and a superb Greek fusion restaurant, it's perfect for people looking for a hip place to stay in Thessaloniki.
- Daios Luxury Living offers a range of rooms and suites in a prime position right on the seafront, just minutes from the White Tower and Aristotelous Square. Interiors are light and contemporary, plus there's a Mediterranean restaurant and popular bar.
For a private apartment
- Have a look at the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly into Thessaloniki Airport.
- For car hire, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Thessaloniki is from May to October when the temperature sits comfortably in the twenties. Be warned, in July and August the city gets very busy.
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Thessaloniki.
- Broaden your search to include all our recommendations in Halkidiki
- Or email one of our gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Thessaloniki
Best Hotels in Thessaloniki
The Caravan Thessaloniki 546 31 13 rooms from £69Families - With twin rooms, triple rooms and suites at great prices, this hotel makes a good option for familiesLocal exploring - Located in Thessaloniki's city centre, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringCity Style - With its warm, eclectic interiors, this hotel has lots of chic city styleRomantic - Good for couples.
This quirky B&B sits within a listed building in Thessaloniki, Greece. Expect an eclectic, homely array of colourful artwork, boutique furniture and potted plants; book the family suite for extra living space and a private terrace. Pop into the hotel's lively café for a coffee; a stylish city stay. See More
City Hotel, Thessaloniki Thessaloniki 125 rooms from £69City StyleSights nearby - Located in the centre of Thessaloniki, easy walking distance from all major attractions.Views - Great views from hotelSailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Tablet
Mongram Hotel Thessaloniki 546 24 24 rooms from £74Local exploring - This chic pied-a-terre is located in the heart of the city, within walking distance of boutique shops and gourmet restaurantsCity Style - With contemporary, minimalist interiors, this hotel has lots of modern, Greek city styleRomantic Break - Book a luxury suite for added indulgence on your next couples' getawaySights nearby - Visit the White Tower, located close to the hotel; this monument and museum on the waterfront has become a symbol of the city
This contemporary Greek hotel sits in central Thessaloniki. Suites embody a design concept, each characterized by a letter; interiors feature polished concrete and a minimalist palette of greys, offset by soft furnishings in earthy tones. Book a luxury suite for generous living space; a chic hotel. See More
The Met Hotel Thessaloniki 212 rooms from £104City Style - Set just outside city centre, this stylish spot has an outstanding spa, rooftop pool complete with views after a sightseeing daySights nearby - Church of Panagia ChalkeonDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.SpaRecommended by - Design Hotels
Contemporary design hotel. Interiors are minimalist with monochrome walls, chic modern furniture and artworks throughout; most rooms have seaviews. Rooftop outdoor pool, full spa and lounge. Great Greek fusion cuisine and buzzy bar lounge. A stylish choice to explore the city from. See More
Makedonia Palace Thessaloniki 284 rooms from £123Restaurant - The hotel offers three restaurants with outdoor dining and views of the sunset over ThermaikosSeaside - Situated on the waterfront, the hotel looks out across the Thermaikos GulfGreat walks - Walk along the seafront and stumble across some of the cities best sitesViews - Views stretch across the sea to the Pieria shores
A luxury waterfront property with beautiful views of the Gulf and Mount Olympus. Modern rooms take advantage of the views from large windows or private balconies. The restaurant excels in seafood. Ideally situated near the city centre for both tourists a business people alike. See More
Capsis Bristol Thessaloniki 20 rooms from £113City Style - Established hotel in the heart of townTraditionalBoutiqueRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Fodors
The Excelsior Thessaloniki 34 rooms from £121Views - Panoramic views over the city from the roof gardenFoodies - Fantastic Bistro with French style cooking.Beach LifeRomantic BreakRecommended by - I Escape, CN Traveller, Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet
Antigon Urban Chic Hotel Thessaloniki 38 rooms from £126City Style - Set in the heart of the city in a converted townhouse with boutique interiors, this hotel has reams of Thessaloniki styleLocal exploring - With the best historic sites, bars and restaurants on the hotel's doorstep, stay here for easy sightseeing in the cityRomantic Break - The cosy suites and romantic rooftop champagne bar make this hotel a perfect choice for a special romantic getawayGreat walks - Take a themed city tour and explore the historic sites of Thessaloniki with a local expert and guide
Nestled in the historical centre of Thessaloniki, this five-star boutique hotel offers luxury accommodation steps from the city's main attractions. A marble staircase leads to beautifully appointed guestrooms with hardwood floors and warm lighting. A rooftop champagne bar completes this luxury stay. See More
Daios Luxury Living 546 22 Thessaloniki 49 rooms from £139Sights nearby - Aristotelous Square, Tsimiski Street, Archeological & Byzantine MuseumViews - Over Thermaikos Gulf and White TowerLocal markets - Good for local colour.Hideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
Bright, clean, spacious modern suites in boutique hotel situated in buzzing Greek city of Thessaloniki. Great views over the White Tower and Thermaikos Gulf. With a bar, restaurant and massage facilities. Walking distance to sights, museums, restaurants and shops. Child friendly. A chic city stay. See More