Search the best hotels in Roatan
Roatan is an idyllic Caribbean island and one of the three primary Bay Islands lying off the northern coast of Honduras. Renowned for the diverse and colourful coral reef that surrounds it, this spot has long been drawing diving enthusiasts. The island itself is equally picturesque. Fringed with white sand beaches and comprising of a mountainous interior. The hotels on this particular island are more high-end than its sister island, Utila, which attracts more of a backpacker crowd. Naturally, the best places to stay in Roatan tend to have easy beach access and gorgeous ocean views.
Although the island is a popular destination with families and couples it is not as busy as other Caribbean islands so there is a more authentic feel. Beyond the diving opportunities in the marine park, there are plenty of other activities on offer: from snorkelling, kayaking and swimming with dolphins to fishing and hiking. Within the canopies of the jungle you'll find zip lining and canopy tour adventures offered for some adrenaline fuelled fun. Although just relaxing on one of the beaches is also very alluring.
The hotels here can get booked up early, especially during the peak season, so in order to ensure a room at one of the best places to stay in Roatan, we recommend planning your trip well in advance.
The best places to stay in Roatan
For a beach Resort
- Las Verandas Hotel & Villas is a small resort with luxury accommodation (from rooms and suites to large villas) and spectacular sea views. Rooms boast large terraces, white on white style and contemporary bathrooms. A fine dining restaurant serves up Caribbean/Americas fusion fare. This is a chic resort with activities galore on tap and plenty more that can be arranged for you.
- Mayoka is an intimate boutique property with just five rooms set within lush green surrounds. Individually designed suites are the height of luxury with large terraces, uber chic bathrooms and contemporary artworks. A stunning infinity pool is the ideal spot to sip a cocktail by. A romantic retreat ideal for complete rejuvenation.
For an apartment or villa
- If you're travelling with a larger group of family or friends, or simply want something a little more flexible and independent, then perhaps the answer is a villa or apartment. We recommend the selection with our online partner, Booking.com.
- Fly directly to the Juan Manuel Galvez International Airport (RTB) which is served by international and domestic flights. Ferries also run from the coastal city of La Ceiba twice daily (Galaxy Wave Ferry) and the Bay Island of Utila.
- The weather in Roatan is temperate year round with temperatures ranging from 22-27 degrees celsius. There is a rainy season that lasts from October through to December however if you choose to travel at this time you will find the rain spells do not last that long. Roatan also has the advantage of being placed in the Western Caribbean which means it is seldom affected by hurricanes.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include Utila or La Ceiba.
- Browse through all our recommendations in Honduras.
- Widen your net to view our best places to stay in the Caribbean.
- Alternatively, call or email one of our gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Roatan
Las Verandas Hotel & Villas Pristine Bay, Roatan 42 rooms from £160
A small resort with luxury accommodation and spectacular sea views. Rooms boast large terraces, white on white style and contemporary bathrooms. A fine dining restaurant serves up Caribbean fare. Sat adjacent to a golf course and directly on a white sand beach find plenty to entertain. Very chic.Total relaxation - With everything you need on site from beach to golf course and the small size makes this a tranquil resort ideal for unwinding.Beach Life - Situated on its own crescent shaped stretch of white sand beach, this is a luxury beach escapeDiving - Explore the colourful underworld of Roatan with experienced guides.Sailing - Search for whales and dolphins on a romantic cruise.Recommended by - Tablet
Mayoka Roatan 5 rooms from £195
A boutique property set within lush green surrounds. Individually designed suite are the height of luxury with large terraces, uber chic bathrooms and contemporary artworks. A stunning infinity pool is the ideal spot to sip a cocktail by. A romantic retreat ideal for complete rejuvenation.Total relaxation - A small boutique property tucked away in the forest and with easy access to a white sandy beach. Bliss.Diving - Excellent diving opportunities in the colourful reef with expert guides.Sailing - Search for whales and dolphins on a relaxing cruise.Restrictions on children - Adult only.