Search the best hotels in Ahmedabad
Ahmedabad is the largest city in Gujarat, with plenty of old world charm, impressive architecture and cultural attractions. Inevitably there is a wide range of accommodation here, and the best places to stay in Ahmedabad range from budget guesthouses to the more modern western style properties.
However, Ahmedabad isn’t a great favourite with visitors because it’s so spread out and hard to get to know. It’s also afflicted by the same problems other major 21st Century cities have: traffic, pollution and overcrowding.
But if you can, it’s a rewarding place to visit, with a wonderful maze of an old quarter, some excellent museums, great restaurants as well as some extremely colourful and lively night markets.
Ahmedabad is also where you’ll find Gandhi’s former headquarters, one of the world’s best collections of Indian textiles - both modern and antique, and several truly breathtaking temples and mosques.
What Not To Miss
- If you're in the area then be sure to visit Sabarmati Ashram, Mahatma Gandhi's home for twelve years, and the base from which he started his revolutionary movement. There's also a lovely museum adjacent to the house which sheds light on his entire life story.
- Akshardham Temple features truly magnificent architecture that you're bound to fall in love with! Highly atmospheric, it's a must-see - especially the nighttime light and sounds show.
- The Hathee Singh Jain Temple is another top spot to visit, filled with beautifully ornate sculptures and carvings.
- Auto World Vintage Car Museum houses over 200 automobiles and so is a fascinating place to pass by.
- Take the whole family out to Kankaria Lake and enjoy a picnic by the waterfront. With a zoo right beside it as well as toy trains and a number of watersports, (including balloon safari), there's something for everyone.
Since independence all sorts of modern buildings have also sprung up, especially in the new city on the western side of the river. A number of the lovely middle class neighbourhoods house some of the best places to stay in Ahmedabad, so don’t discount this part of town.
For an authentic feel
- The House of MG is an Urban Heritage hotel, with a rich history, but also all the mod. cons. Bedrooms are decorated with dark wood furniture, family photographs and regional artefacts. There’s also an excellent restaurant on the roof, a gym and a beautiful pool.
A safe option
- The Hyatt Regency is one of the city's newest and smartest addresses. There's a wide range of accommodation, an inviting pool and several dining options.
For An Apartment
- If you've decided that a self-catering option would best suit your needs then browse through the variety of options available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- The best time to visit Ahmedabad is during the winter months, from November to February, as the weather is cool enough to enjoy sightseeing. That said, it's hardly chilly (aside from perhaps in the evenings), with the average daily temperature between 20-25°C.
- From March until May the city is blisteringly hot, with the temperature soaring up to 40°C. Monsoon season, from June to October, brings with it plenty of rainfall and humidity - though this is off season and so expect there to be less tourists around.
- Visitors can fly into Ahmedabad Airport, located 15km northeast of the city centre. This is served by a numnber of domestic destinations, so if you're coming from the UK you need to fly to Mumbai or Delhi then catch a connection on to Ahmedabad.
- British Airways, Air India and Jet Airways fly directly from London Heathrow to Mumbai, a journey which takes around 9 hours.
- From the airport either take a bus, rickshaw or taxi to the centre of town.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Ahmedabad
Hyatt Regency, Ahmedabad Ahmedabad (Gujarat) 210 rooms from £59City Style - One of Ahmedabad's newest and most chic hotelsValue chic - World renowned luxury at an incredible priceLocal markets - Gujarat is famed for its textiles - head into town for some colourful findsSights nearby - Moments from the famous Sabarmati Ashram
One of Ahmedabad's newest and smartest addresses. Rooms range from simple yet chic to stunning suites. There is an inviting pool (especially in the afternoon heat) and global dining options. The buffet breakfast is quite the spread. All this plus a gym and spa. A no brainer. See More
The House of MG Ahmedabad, Gujarat 37 rooms from £66Local exploring - Well situated and with ample amenities to aid relaxation after a day of sightseeing.Sights nearby - Endless options for sightseeing including the Jami Masjid, Bhadra Fort and Badshah. The hotel organises various tours.Great walks - The hotel have created an excellent map to guide guests on heritage walks.Swimming Pool - Indoor Pool.
Urban Heritage hotel, rich in history mixes nostalgia with modern conveniences. Bedrooms with dark furniture, artefacts, family photographs, some with balconies. Excellent Agashiye rooftop thali restaurant, gym and beautiful pool. Its great banqueting facilities make it an ideal spot for groups. See More