Search the best hotels in Amritsar
Home to the gleaming Golden Temple, Amritsar is the holiest city for Sikhs around the world. Our pick of the best places to stay in Amritsar are both ideally situated for visiting this icon - close enough for ease of access, yet far enough away to avoid the crowds.
Founded in 1577 by guru Ram Das, it still renders onlookers, pilgrims, and tourists speechless. Inside, witness volunteers stirring cauldrons of daal and vegetables, bound for the plates of the thousands that eat there each day.
What To Expect
Twelve ancient gates encase the old city, where the Golden Temple is located. Containing a maze of winding lanes and bustling bazaars emitting a concoction of scents, it's like stepping into another century. With cows, carts and cars vying for space on the narrow roads, exploring on foot tends to be the most immersive and convenient option.
To the north of Amritsar’s ancient ramparts is the ‘new’ city, a hodgepodge of colonial buildings, shopping malls and multiplexes. which are testament to the commercial success of this city.
What Not To Miss
- Awash with textiles, fabrics, saris and pashminas, Katra Jaimal Singh Bazaar is a favourite amongst the ladies of Amritsar.
- Take a cab to the Pakistan border to witness the Wagah border crossing. Not dissimilar to Buckingham Palace's Changing of the Guard, with as much pomp and more theatre.
- Or, if you fancy some fine dining, dress up and head for dinner at Thai Chi. Serving gourmet Thai and Chinese cuisine, it is a top contender for the best restaurant in town.
The city is busy year round, so get organised and book early - our pick of the best places to stay in Amritsar are both equal parts charm and luxury.
For holistic heritage
- Welcoming visiting dignatories for over 250 years Ranjit's Svaasa Hotel provides guests with a historic stay and the added benefits of an Ayurvedic spa, yoga and meditation.
For unabashed luxury
- Housing Thai Chi, one of the best restaurants in town, The Hyatt Amritsar excels in all aspects. A perfect blend of contemporary and local style.
For an apartment or villa
- If you've decided that a self-catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online partner, Booking.com, where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Fly to the Sri Guru Ram Das Jee International Airport, located approximately 11km from the city centre, whilst Amritsar train station is well connected to a number of major cities.
- November to March bring cool days which are ideal for sightseeing. Punjab's rainy season is from July to October and can make Golden Temple trips unpleasant, so you're best off avoiding coming at this time.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Amritsar
Ranjit's Svaasa Hotel Amritsar (Punjab) 16 rooms from £52Sights nearby - A visit to one of India's most famous landmarks, the Golden Temple, is just a short drive away.Local markets - Tahali Sahib Bazaar is a favourite amongst locals for sparkling sarees and shining silks.Full of characterFour poster beds - For romantics.
Channelling an 'Exotic Marigold Hotel' spirit this heritage haveli is more than just a place to rest your head en-route to the Golden Temple. Food is healthy and organic plus there are yoga and meditation classes. Rooms are crammed full of antiques with vast four posters, Indian silks and art. See More
Hyatt Amritsar Amritsar (Adjoining Alpha One City Center, MBM Farms) 248 rooms from £55Sights nearby - Complimentary shuttle bus service to the Golden TempleSpa - With eight treatment roomsSwimming Pool - Outdoor swimming pool
Reliable luxury courtesy of The Hyatt. A fusion of modern architecture and traditional Indian design and colours. Rooms are awash with polished woods, rich oranges and reds with state of the art bathrooms. Traditional spa treatments are available and there is gourmet South and East Asian dining. See More
Taj Swarna Amritsar (Opp. Basant Avenue) 157 rooms from £102Learning - Soak up the local culture and traditions and volunteer to serve or clean up the free meals served at the Guru-ka-LangarTotal relaxation - A wonderfully pampering experience- plush rooms, on site beauty salon, excellent dining options and an indulgent spaHotel Entertainment - Slip down to the spa for an afternoon being rubbed and scrubbed into a new you- followed by a cocktail in the barWeddings - The ultimate destination wedding venue, with fabulous food and a beautiful 7500 sq. ft. event room
A magnificent addition to the Taj family, right in the heart of Amritsar. The interiors are spectacular, with neutral tones and understated glamour set off by the occasional touch of local artisan fabric or glistening chandeliers. The food is exceptional, as indeed is the spa. A suave choice. See More