Search the best hotels in Assam
Perfect tea plantations, elephants, rhinos, blue mountains, rice fields and the red Brahmaputra valley are the emblems of this region. Just below the foothills of the Himalayas, and on the borders of Bhutan and Bangladesh, Assam has a strong local culture and identity, most obvious in the strong flavours of the cuisine and the traditional dress of the Assamese.
This is a varied state and choosing the best places to stay in Assam is highly dependant on why you're visiting the region, but your choice includes eco-lodges where you can sleep close to the elephants and rhinos, or beautiful old working tea plantation houses.
Assam has a number of important archaeological sites and ancient temples, and a smattering of extremely charming villages, if you're interested in the region's ethnography, while there are also several national parks to choose from, and even the opportunity to explore the region by raft, along the mighty river.
A drive of one hundred kilometres through Assam can take you through floodplains, rainforests, rice paddies and the alpine conditions of the Himalayan foothills. And there's the range of flora and fauna to match, so Assam has always been popular with naturalists and nature lovers.
As for the highlights, the Kaziranga National Park is one of the best places in the world to spot rhinos and Indian elephants, Nameri National Park is a bird-watcher's paradise, the quaint heart of Guwahati, right by the Brahmaputra River makes for a nice day's exploration, the strange Maidams at Charaideo are sometimes compared to Egypt's pyramids and it's definitely worth trying the tea!
Our pick of the best places to stay in Assam range from a characterful bargain property close to Kaziranga to a gorgeous eco-lodge on the banks of the Diphlu river.
What not to miss
- Kamakhya Temple and Purva Tirupati Shri Balaji Temple are both well worth a visit
- Be sure to spend a day or two wandering around the Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kaziranga National Orchid and Biodiversity Park is truly spectacular - be sure to remember your camera!
All our Assam collections:
The best places to stay in Assam
For great value
- The Wild Grass Lodge in Kaziranga is a charmingly ramshackle 18 room eco-lodge, very close to the Kaziranga National Park. Peaceful and welcoming, there's no air-conditioning or mini-bars, but there's a fantastic old dining room decorated with stag's heads and oil paintings of birds. The menu is basic but with some excellent local specialities. Rooms start from £11 per night.
- The Baruah Bhavan Guesthouse in the old heart of Guwahati, has been converted from a large, green painted, 20th Century home just a few minutes walk from the Brahmaputra River. There are six comfortable rooms, all decorated differently, and an elegant glass-topped table where excellent home-style dishes are served.
For a wildlife experience
- The Diphlu River Lodge is right on the edge of the Kaziranga National Park with four thatched, stilted cottages looking onto the river and the other eight arranged in a circle around a meadow. Secluded and very comfortable, this is a wonderful spot for birdwatching, as well as for embarking upon elephant or rhino safaris.
- Infinity Resort Kaziranga boasts elegantly furnished rooms with plenty of bamboo furnishings right in the heart of nature. Unwind in the pool, the spa, or with a massage.
- Iora - The Retreat is a lovely 20-acre spot just a short distance from Kaziranga National Park. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, whilst there's also an in-house spa to help you relax after a day out on safari.
- Located on the banks of the Diphlu River, Diphlu River Lodge is a lovely eco stay that's a great spot for a romantic retreat in the wild.
For an apartment or villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- If you're coming from abroad then fly into Delhi, Mumbai, or Kolkata before taking a connecting flight to Guwahati Airport.
- Assam's never cold, with the average temperature hovering between 21-30°C year-round. However, avoid visiting the peak of summer as this is the rainy season.
- If you want to fully explore the region then consider hiring a car with Rentalcars.
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Assam.
- Widen the net to include our recommendations in nearby Bhutan or Kolkata.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Assam
Best Hotels in Assam
Baruah Bhavan Guesthouse Guwahati (Uzanbazar) 6 rooms from £26Less £Restaurant - Homecooked traditional Assamese foodSights nearby - Central city locationLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Wild Grass Lodge Kaziranga, Assam 18 rooms from £48In/by a Nature Reserve - Kaziranga National ParkLess £Back to NatureRestaurant - All meals included, plus tea and coffee
Infinity Resort Kaziranga P.O. Kaziranga, Dist. Golaghat, Assam 18 rooms from £60In/by a Nature Reserve - Located within Kaziranga Wildlife Park, a designated World Heritage Site by UNESCOSafari - Possible to see tigers, rhinos, buffalo, deer and elephants in the National parkBirdwatching - There have been over 480 resident and migratory bird species in KazirangaLakeside - There is a huge 20,000 square foot lake in the grounds
Pampering in the heart of nature! Relax into a simpler pace of life while enjoying ultimate comfort and premier service. Spacious rooms are furnished elegantly in bamboo and wood. Outdoor pool, spa and massage help unwind. Delicious menu in restaurant. Opportunity to explore stunning natural beauty. See More
IORA – The Retreat Dist. Golaghat Kaziranga,, Assam 42 rooms from £60Hideaway - Nestled in 20 acres gives it the perfect hideaway location.Birdwatching - A national park with some beautiful national birds.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolRemote - Off the beaten track.
A brilliant 20 acre spot to relax in, yet a stone's throw away from the Kaziranga National Park. Spacious, wooden furnished rooms overlook a pool and are close to the in house spa and gym. Do not miss the safaris into the park to see The Big Five. Tea fields also make up the beautiful landscape. See More
Diphlu River Lodge Assam 12 rooms from £160Back to Nature - Wildlife viewing including rhino spottingOutstanding locationBirdwatching - There are some 400 species of birds residing in the Kaziranga.Restaurant - Recommended.