Search the best hotels in Jodhpur
Jodhpur has been known by several names. Here are the literal ones:
- 'The Blue City', because of the bright blue painted houses near the amazing Mehrangarh Fort, which seems to grow out of a rocky outcrop at the city's heart.
- And 'The Sun City', for the sunny weather in which this Thar Desert town basks year-round.
This city is beautiful, historic, thriving, colourful and, as many more people are discovering each year, fascinating. Here are some good reasons to visit, and some of the best places to stay in Jodhpur to enjoy them.
Trade once drew people to this desert town. On the ancient silk route, Jodhpur is still the region's central market for camels, cotton and cattle. And trade is in this town's blood. It feels like you can buy anything and everything in the mass of shops and stalls which spread out from the Clock Tower in the centre of town.
The Mehrangarh Fort, with its epic stone walls and many palaces inside, and the 20th Century sandstone palace of Umaid Bhawan are Jodhpur's two other main landmarks. This is due to their impressive scale and beauty, but they're by no means the only grand buildings worth closer inspection.
What Not To Miss
- The stunning Mehrangarh Fort is an absolute must-see if you're in Jodhpur! Brimming with architectural splendour and opulently decorated interiors, wander around with an audio guide to make the most out of your visit.
- Whilst most of the Umaid Bhawan Palace has been taken over by the Taj hotel, it's still a wonderful place to see and there's a fabulous collection of vintage cars on display that's worth the trip on its own.
- Bring a picnic and spend the afternoon wandering around Rao Jodha Desert Rock Park. With wonderful views of the city and an incredibly tranquil ambiance, it's the perfect way to take a break from busily sightseeing.
- Be sure to pass by the impressive Sachiya Mata Temple, whose walls are filled with lovely carvings and sculptures.
- The bustling Sardar Market is a great place to visit for those wanting to experience a true Indian street market.
The Hotel Guru's selection of the best places to stay in Jodhpur offers a wide range from unbelievably good value guesthouses to Maharajah's Palaces turned luxury hotels. We cater for all budgets, but what none of our properties lack is attention to detail and an ethos of great service.
For peace and quiet
It's not always easy to find a peaceful haven in this city of frenetic movement, but if you're looking for the best hotels in Jodhpur to escape the crowds then try these:
- Built as a hunting lodge in the Art Deco style of the 30s, the Sardar Samand Lake Palace is still a favoured summer retreat of the Royal Family. The lake it's built beside keeps it cool, but it also makes it a great choice for birdwatchers.
- Bal Samand Lake Palace and Garden is another favourite of today's Royal Family. This summer palace overlooks a lake and 300 acres of beautifully landscaped grounds. Even if you stay in the rooms converted from the old stables, you'll still feel like a Maharaja. As well as peace here you'll find every luxury, a spa, as well as the chance to birdwatch, or ride up into the hills, or play golf.
- Ratan Villas, set in a 1920s family home, is a tranquil oasis in the centre of town. Offering charming traditional accommodation with period furniture and Indian fabrics, you can also enjoy typically Rajasthani entertainment each evening.
- The Wilderness Camp has a remote, desert location and seven luxurious tents - complete with large beds, rugs and modern bathrooms. Watch the sunset by the campfire.
For Total Relaxation
- The Kothi Heritage features typical Rajasthani interiors mixed with colourful stained glass windows and antiques. Tuck into traditional Mughlai cuisine and treat yourself to an Ayurvedic massage.
- Inn Season offers a range of Art Deco rooms and suites in a peaceful residential neighbourhood. Spend your days relaxing by the pool or enjoying a good book in the flower-filled gardens, whilst massages are also available.
- Devi Bhawan is ideally located, just a short distance away from the city's sights and yet set amidst its own lush green gardens. The rooms are traditional in style and you can come back after a day out sightseeing to relax by the pool or enjoy a massage.
- Located 40 miles away from Jodhpur itself, Rohet Garh is a true haven - brimming in traditional Rajput style with exquisite rooms, marble flooring and landscaped gardens. Relax in the spa or read a book by the picturesque lake.
Historic Places to Stay
In Jodhpur you're not limited to visiting cultural treasures during business hours. Many of the city's great palaces are now grand hotels and some of the best places to stay in Jodhpur.
- Umaid Bhawan Palace - if it seems familiar it could be because it's the landmark mentioned at the top of the page. Yes, you CAN stay here, and it's definitely one of the best hotels in Jodhpur. Built by the grandfather of the present Maharaja this wonderful building with its vast proportions is famous all over India. Set in 26 acres of lush gardens, everything here is elegant and luxurious, from the squash courts to the billiards room and yoga studio.
- The Ajit Bhawan Palace belonged to the younger brother of the above, so you're still in good company. But with its variety of room options - including cottages, rooms and permanent tents, this is also ideal for families.
- For something less grand try Pal Haveli. If you've not come across it before, a 'haveli' is basically a mansion, and probably one of architectural or historic significance. There are plenty of haveli options, but this one is one of our favourites in Jodhpur because its second restaurant is on a roof terrace from which you can see the whole city stretching out below. Priced from less than £50 a night, it is also perfect if you're on a budget.
- The Blue House is a superb all-round option, set in an historical 500-year old Haveli brimming with charm. Their spacious rooms, starting from just £16 per night, are filled with antiques and lovely views - what's not to love?
- Singhvi's Haveli is a similarly ancient property, featuring individually decorated and extremely colourful rooms that are full of character. A truly authentic stay in a quieter part of town.
- Mihir Garh offers luxurious accommodation in an historic property. Their Moroccan styled rooms include private courtyards with pools or jacuzzis, whilst there's also a lovely spa and top-notch cuisine. Wonderfully romantic!
If you love local colour and history, but prefer to stay somewhere a bit more modern, these are our recommendations:
- If your lifestyle requires reliable internet, convenient locale and comfort then Vivanta by Taj Hari Mahal should tick the boxes. Clean and quiet efficiency in a modern hotel which has been designed in the same way as a traditional palace. Sounds perfect? Well, it's also close to the airport, markets and the old town, whilst its spa offers yoga sessions.
- The luxurious Raas boasts wonderful views of the fort and exquisite accommodation. This designer spot also features an infinity pool and a spoiling spa, plus there's also a rooftop restaurant in which to enjoy excellent food. And, it's even centrally located.
For An Apartment Or Villa
- If you think a self-catering option would best suit your needs then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- The best time to visit Jodhpur is from October to March, the winter months, when the temperature's cool enough to enjoy daily sightseeing (averaging between 19-28°C).
- Avoid coming in the summer, April to June, as the temperature can soar to over 40°C which makes it pretty uncomfortable for getting around and about.
- July to September constitute the off season, when prices will be lower but the humidity levels rise sharply, which may make it a little uncomfortable. At this time you're also likely to avoid many other tourists.
- Fly into Jodhpur Airport, (5km from the city centre), which is served by regular connections from Mumbai and Delhi which take just over an hour. British Airways, Jet Airways and Air India fly directly from Heathrow to both Mumbai and Delhi, with the flight time approximately 8-9 hours.
- From the airport, take a taxi or a rickshaw to the centre of town.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still Not Sure?
- Browse our list of the best places to stay in Jodhpur and start to plan your visit.
- Alternatively, try all our recommendations in Rajasthan, Delhi or Jaipur.
- Or, if you're still feeling stuck then feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Jodhpur
Best Hotels in Jodhpur
The Blue House Jodhpur (Nai Sarak) 15 rooms from £14Local exploring - A fantastic part of the Blue City to base yourself for exploring the countless sights.Families - Welcomes all the family to stay, offering babysitting services with prior arrangement.Value chic - Stay in The Blue City, in The Blue House for the best priceGreat walks - The 26 acres of manicured gardens within the walls of the Umaid Bhawan Palace make a memorable backdrop for a leisurely stroll.
This Blue City family-run historical guesthouse would have European boutiques begging for the same charm, antique furnishings and intimate atmosphere. Charming, unique rooms with access to a rooftop restaurant. A prime spot for panoramic views of Jodhpur and the 15th Century Mehrangarh Fort. See More
Singhvi’s Haveli Jodhpur (Ramdeo Ji ka chowk) 12 rooms from £15Value chic - A quintessentially Rajasthani stay for a great value price.Local exploring - Located in the heart of the Old City.Sights nearby - Within walking distance of the Clock Tower and PalaceLocal markets - Mehrangarh Fort has to be seen to be believed.
A 560-year-old haveli in the midst of Jodhpur’s Old City. Set apart from most of the other guesthouses and hotels, and yet still a five-minute walk from the magnificent Mehrangarh Fort. Family-run and full of character. Individual and colourfully decorated rooms complete the stay. See More
The Kothi Heritage Jodhpur (Rajasthan,) 12 rooms from £31Value chic - Traditional, colourful, Rajasthani decor at a great priceTraditionalQuirky - An experience!Boutique
Delightful, boutique property showcasing the best in Rajasthani interiors and Rajput hospitality. Colourful stained glass windows create a beautiful effect against its alabaster walls whilst antique furnishings complete the look. Mughals dishes are a feast and Ayurvedic massages a treat. See More
Inn Season Jodhpur 10 rooms from £34Hideaway - A little flower filled haven complete with lovely pool, on the outskirts, yet within easy access of town.Sights nearby - You cannot visit Jodhpur without a visit to the Mehrangarh Fort.Swimming Pool - Beautiful Outdoor PoolTraditional
Charming, idiosyncratic collection of rooms and suites in 1930s Art Deco style. Lovely pool, garden and verandahs for dining. Comfort and character in a peaceful residential neighbourhood. Great value for money. There is a delightful pool plus in room massages are available. See More
Devi Bhawan Jodhpur (Defence Laboratory Road) 20 rooms from £36Value chic - Chic interiors and a comfortable stay for a great price, with massage sevices and beautiful outdoor pool.Great walks - This is a great city for wandering, head out from the hotel and explore the rabbit warren streets.Sights nearby - The Mehrangarh Fort, that stands tall over the city, is as impressive inside as it is from out.Local markets - The Clock Tower and its surrounding market is worth a visit.
Pal Haveli Jodhpur 21 rooms from £38City Style - Central location, beautiful rooms and impeccable views of Mehrangarh FortLocal exploring - Slap bang in the heart of Jodhpur's Old City - right by the Clock TowerRomantic Break - Quaint rooms, breezy rooftops: the romantic Rajasthani dreamValue chic - Simply stunning interiors at a simply delightful price
Traditional old haveli elaborately and colourfully decorated. Beautiful intricate bedrooms and suites with artefacts, furniture and old family photographs. Shady courtyards and two restaurants - one on the roof terrace with lovely views and great food. Understated elegance and romance. See More
Ratan Vilas Jodhpur (Near Bhaskar Circle) 20 rooms from £53Families - A charming property with plenty of space to run around, a lovely pool, and babysitting services- perfect for a family holiday.Total relaxation - A tranquil little oasis away from the bustle of the town, and with friendly hosts ready to answer your every need.Cooking classes - Guests can learn the art of Rajasthani cuisine at the in house cokkery school.Swimming Pool - Lovely outdoor Pool.
Bal Samand Lake Palace & Garden Jodhpur 36 rooms from £74Romantic Break - Feel like royalty at this unique hotel, with elegant suites, candlelite dining and a stunning pool, in rural Pali.Birdwatching - Pali is a prime spot for birdwatching, don't forget your binoculars.Views - Lovely views of the lake from the restaurant.Sights nearby - Visit the famed Mehrangarh Fort of Jodhpur.
An utterly romantic summer palace overlooking a 12th century lake in 300 acres of landscaped grounds. The bedrooms are large, airy and elegant, and the dining room has the most sublime view across the lake. Sandstone waterways and pergolas, Mawari horses to ride in the hills. A regal experience. See More
Stepwell House Jodhpur (Makrana Mohhala,) 15 rooms from £73Local exploring - Stay amidst the beating heart of Jodhpur, as daily life unfolds immerse yourself in The Blue City's colourful cultureRestaurant - A daily breakfast at Stepwell Café is also included in your room rateSights nearby - Mehrangarh Fort and Chokelao Bagh garden nestled at the bottom;Lively area - In the thick of the action.
Refined budget hotel ideal for discerning backpackers, with front-row seats of Toorji Ka Jhalra, an intricately designed stepwell. Fresh rooms feature elegant heritage decor, and there is a relaxed rooftop bar and restaurant with fine views of Mehrangarh Fort nearby. A cosy, practical base! See More
Rohet Garh Jodhpur (Dist. Pali) 34 rooms from £119Active HolidaySwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolRestaurant - Recommended.SpaRecommended by - I Escape
Ajit Bhawan Palace Jodhpur 69 rooms from £119Families - Attentive yet unfussy service, good value prices, a large pool plus spa and gym: great for all the family.Sights nearby - Venture back into the life of a Maharaja at the epic Mehrangarh FortSwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Fodors
Sardar Samand Lake Palace Jodhpur (District Pali) 19 rooms from £126Country Escape - In the bucolic surround of the scrubby Thar desert, this former royal hunting lodge is a true escape into rural Rajasthan.Great walks - The extensive grounds stretching along the lake make for great scenic walking.Birdwatching - The lake attracts a huge variety of birdlife, bring your binoculars!Sailing - A boat ride on the lake is a lovely afternoon activity.
Built by Maharaja Umaid Singh in 1933 this former hunting lodge is still a favourite retreat of the royal family. Located on the edge of a picturesque lake, large, art deco style rooms make the most of the views. There is an Oriental Garden plus an outdoor pool and tennis courts. A charming stay. See More
Ranvas Jodhpur (Nagaur) 34 rooms from £177Honeymoons - A regal and romantic escape with candlelit dinners in the fragrant gardens and indulgent interiors worthy of the Maharaja.Total relaxation - Unwind in style in the frescoed halls, temples, and Mughal pleasure gardens, not to mention the spa.Sights nearby - The desert towns of Bikaner, with its incredible fort and Mandawa konwn for its painted havelis are a drive away.Great walks - Hike the perimeter of the 12th-century fort’s magnificent ramparts.Recommended by - I Escape
Following a twenty year renovation by the Maharajah of Jodhpur this collection of havelis is a chic oasis in the heart of the Thar desert. Film set worthy rooms and impossibly romantic candlelit dinners make it ideal for couples. One of the best places to embark on a horse or camel safari. See More
RAAS Jodhpur (Makrana Mohalla) 39 rooms from £200Romantic Break - This chic hotel boasts design suites with statement bathrooms, fort views from the terrace restaurant and unbeatable glamour.Local exploring - Located down an unassuming gulley this modern hotel enjoys a most central location in the Old Town.Local markets - Check out the next door Sadar Market, the perfect spot for buying spices, sweets, silver and handicrafts.Sights nearby - Overlooking the fort, within walking distance of the Clock Tower and Old City.Recommended by - I Escape, Kiwi Collection, Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Wow factor around every corner in this luxury, contemporary designed hotel. Stunning views of the Fort from exquisite sun-dappled rooms and a beautiful infinity pool and indulgent spa. Lots of clever design features. A very special place to explore the magical Jodhpur from, right in the heart of it. See More
Vivanta by Taj Hari Mahal Jodhpur 93 rooms from £236Romantic Break - Sumptuous suites and pampering spa treatments make this a dream city break for couples.Families - Family suites, baby sitting services and a games room to occupy the little ones.Sights nearby - The Mehrangarh Fort is not to be missed.Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor Pool.
Mihir Garh Jodhpur 9 rooms from £451Country Escape - Just forty minutes from Jodhpur - great for those that would like to explore the city without being in the thick of itRomantic Break - Private pools, candlelit dinners, desert sunsets - a great couple's retreatSights nearby - Just a forty minute drive, the sights of Jodhpur "The Blue City" must be seenSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool. Plus all ground floor suites have private plunge pools.
Historic luxury, without compromising on the luxury Mihir Garh sits atop a hillock surrounded by the Rajasthani desert. A mesmerising space, rooms are Morroccan in style and include courtyards complete with pool or hot tub. Explore your surroundings on a horse safari or be pampered in the spa. See More
Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur 64 rooms from £523Spa breaks - The Taj's signature JIVA spa is the ultimate in indulgent spa breaks.Palace - Astounding art deco Maharaja's palaceRomantic Break - Opulent suites are made for romance.Sights nearby - Mehrangarh Fort is a must visit.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection