Search the best hotels in Rishikesh
A spiritual mecca, Rishikesh has been attracting movers and shakers since before The Beatles put it on the map. Astride the holy river Ganges, the self-styled ‘Yoga Capital of the World’ holds a sacred place in the hearts of Hindus around the country. Filled with ashrams, yoga centres and Ayurvedic wellness practices, it is not all “Om Shanti Om”; the fast flowing Ganges and vertiginous valleys make it a favoured destination amongst adrenaline junkies too. Many of the best places to stay in Rishikesh combine the two, allowing guests the best of both healing and exhilarating activities.
The river and the mountains are a draw for lovers of the great outdoors. From white water rafting to trekking and even bungee jumping, there is plenty to get your pulse racing.
What Not To Miss
- No visit to Rishikesh is complete without witnessing the mesmerizing evening ‘aarti’: a devotional fire ritual in honour of the goddess Ganga involving singing, rituals and dedications. A truly hypnotic performance, you will be swept away.
- A great way to explore this small town is with a private walking tour. Starting at Laxman Jhula Bridge you will be taken through the markets, ashrams and temples. Learn about the area’s culture, history and religion.
- Many hotels offer private yoga classes however Omkarananda Ganga Sadan and the Sivananda Yoga Centre are two of the most prestigious. Or, if you fancy a giggle, why not try ‘Hasya’ otherwise known as ‘Laughing Yoga’.
- Unfortunately the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi Ashram, where John, Paul, George and Ringo made their home in the 1960’s, has seen better days. However, it enjoys a secluded spot and is a scenic walk out of town.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Rishikesh are all ideal for making the most of this destination, whether you're after the action or the relaxation.
For nature and tranquillity
- All you need to take with you to The Glasshouse is a good book and a pair of walking shoes. This lovingly decorated property has a homestay feel. On the bank of the river Ganges, ensconced in a luscious mango orchard, there is an impressive population of local birdlife.
- Comprised of just six comfortable Swiss tents, Camp AquaForest provides an intimate stay, where thoughtful staff will help you plan out your excursions. Stay here to be as close to nature as possible.
- Rishikesh, indeed India, is overwhelmed with wellness resorts, however Ananda in the Himalayas is the cream of the crop. A former palace, this regal property provides the utmost in five star luxury and holistic wellness. Two treatments, yoga classes and Vedanta teachings are included. A rejuvenating stay.
- Innovative architecture and modern design set Raga on the Ganges apart from the crowd. The spa enjoys floor to ceiling windows with views across the river and bedrooms have private balconies.
For a family stay
- Jam packed with on and off site activities (it even has its own climbing wall!), plus private family cottage accommodation, Atali Ganga is the perfect stay for all ages - older children especially. Having won many an award since its opening it stands in great repute. A modern getaway, right on the Ganges.
For An Apartment Or Villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse though the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- The weather is best from March to June - when the temperature is pleasant enough (from 20-35°C) to spend your days outside exploring or doing yoga. The monsoon season is from July to September when there is heavy rainfall.
- Dehradun's Jolly Grant Airport is the nearest place to fly into, located 15km away, though it only serves domestic flights so you'll likely have to fly to Delhi's Indira Gandhi Airport first before taking a connection.
- From the airport, take a cab on to Rishikesh.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Rishikesh
AquaForest Camp Rishikesh (Ghattugad) 6 rooms from £30Back to Nature - Located on the banks of the River Ganges you sleeping as close to nature as one could be.Local markets - Laxman Jula market is great for picking up clothing, jewellery and naturally made goods.Sights nearby - The evening 'aarti' is a must visit when in Rishikesh.Secluded setting - For escaping.
AquaForest provides comfortable accommodation on the banks of the Ganges in six air conditioned tents. More than just a place to rest your head, staff will go out of their way to organise your trip in Rishikesh. Breakfast and dinner are served and included in the price. Book or you'll miss out! See More
Raga on the Ganges Rishikesh (Tehri Garwhal) 31 rooms from £73Views - Wonderful views over the surrounding countryside and the holy river GangesSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolSecluded setting - For escaping.Back to Nature
A design property and a perfect blend of active and pamper break. Boasting a spa with floor to ceiling windows and a bounty of excursions, there is something to suit every tempo. Rooms benefit from private balconies and are decorated in locally sourced woods and rich colours, with modern bathrooms. See More
Glasshouse on the Ganges Rishikesh (Uttarakhand) 21 rooms from £106Back to Nature - Lying on the banks of the River Ganges this property reminds guests of the simpler things in life.Sights nearby - Visit The Beatles' ashram, as it has now become known, where the group stayed in the 60's.Local markets - Rishikesh market is a great place to pick up some trinkets to take home.Birdwatching - There is an impressive variety of nesting birds along the river banks.
Another of Neemrana's faultless heritage hotels. With an enviable location on the banks of the River Ganges, nestled amid a mango orchard, Glasshouse boasts vintage decor and friendly service. Rooms are bespoke design, making the most of the views and filled with antiques. For true escapists! See More
Atali Ganga Rishikesh (Uttarakhand) 22 rooms from £145Families - Family cottages and plenty of on and off site activities - better for older childrenActive Holiday - An activity lover's dream! Rock climbing, river rafting, trekking and so much moreBirdwatching - Head out with one of the naturalist and learn about Uttarakhand‘s abundant birdlifeLocal markets - Though an hour's drive away the market town of Rishikesh is great for shopping
Where leisure, activities and serenity meet. Chic, modern mountain hideaway ideal for families and outdoor lovers. Comprised of 22 private cottages with iPod docks but no TVs, private terraces and Ganga views. Comfort food is served in the cosy White Water Cafe. An award winning hotel. See More
Ananda in the Himalayas Rishikesh (Uttarakhand) 78 rooms from £399Spa breaks - One the most renowned spas and arguably the best in the world for Ayurvedic treatments.Local markets - The town of Rishikesh is awash with shops and stalls selling local handicrafts and religious artefacts.Private Hot Tub - Book the Vicregal Suite for your private terrace with hot tubSights nearby - For music fans The Beatles ashram is worth a visit.
Former palace turned luxury spa retreat. Rooms are decorated in natural palettes of creams and greens, all have balconies. The restaurant serves healthy cuisine and there is daily afternoon tea with sugar-free options. There is a pool, award winning Ayurvedic spa and fitness centre. See More